|Born||Eric Linkord Byfield
1951/1952 (age 62–63)
|Political party||Wildrose Alliance 2008-
Wildrose Party of Alberta 2007
2004 Senator Nominee
|Awards||Alberta Centennial Medal 2005|
Eric Linkord (Link) Byfield (born circa 1952) is a news columnist, author and politician.
Columnist and Writer
Byfield was editor and publisher for the now defunct Alberta Report magazine for 18 years. He is the son of conservative columnist Ted Byfield. Like his father, Byfield has been a columnist for the Calgary Sun and has also occasionally been published in the Calgary Herald, National Post, Globe and Mail and Winnipeg Free Press.
Senator in Waiting
Link Byfield was the first to declare his candidacy for the 2004 Senator in waiting election on September 27, 2004. He decided to remain Independent of the other parties, and was one of two Independent Senator-in-waiting candidates—the other being Tom Sindlinger.
He was elected to the 4th and final spot in the block vote with 236,382 votes. He is the first independent senator in waiting, and the first independent elected in an Alberta election since Raymond Speaker and Walt Buck in 1982.
Byfield helped found the Wildrose Party of Alberta in 2007, which merged with the Alberta Alliance Party on January 19, 2008, shortly before a provincial general election was called. He unsuccessfully contested the riding of Whitecourt-Ste. Anne for the post-merger Wildrose Alliance in that 2008 election.
The party dropped "Alliance" from its name for media purposes prior to the 2012 general election and Byfield ran as the Wildrose Party candidate for Barrhead-Morinville-Westlock in that April election. Byfield lost by a narrow margin, falling short of the Progressive Conservative candidate by less than 5% of the vote.
- Citizens Centre Staff.
- Link's Calgary Sun columns.
- Link Byfield on The West: Don’t tell us what to do, National Post, April 6, 2009
- Column, Globe and Mail, September 30, 2000
- A View from the West: A provincially elected Senate--Upper house can link Ottawa with the provinces, Winnipeg Free Press , February 24, 2009
- Citizens Centre for Freedom and Democracy homepage.
- Link Byfield declares Senate candidacy.
- Alberta Centennial Medal Recipients (A-G)
- Former journalist running for Wildrose Alliance, Whitecourt Star, February 13, 2008
- Stephen Dafoe Byfield acclaimed as Wildrose Alliance Candidate Morinville News October 11, 2010
- Braid: Feud between Link Byfield, Ken Kowalski fuels Alberta voting fever, Calgary Herald, September 16, 2010
- "Kubinec keeps Barrhead-Morinville-Westlock riding for PCs" St Albert Gazette April 23, 2012