Linlithgow railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Iucha|
|Local authority||West Lothian|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North British Railway|
|21 February 1842||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Linlithgow from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Linlithgow railway station is a railway station serving the town of Linlithgow in West Lothian, Scotland. It is located on the Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk Line and is also served by ScotRail services from Edinburgh Waverley to Dunblane, and the daily train between Glasgow Queen Street and the Fife Circle Line.
|This section requires expansion. (December 2008)|
Linlithgow station was opened by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway on 21 February 1842. It once featured an east-facing bay platform and a small goods yard, where the carpark is today. The station also had a railway hotel; The Star and Garter Hotel which was involved in a devastating fire in October 2010.
Photographs of the station taken in 1845 are believed to be the oldest photographic images of a railway subject anywhere in the world.
The station is served by trains on both the main Edinburgh to Glasgow main line and the Edinburgh - Stirling - Dunblane routes, with half-hourly calls each way on both routes on Mondays to Saturdays (hourly to Dunblane in the evening). The one return weekday Kirkcaldy to Glasgow commuter service also stops here in each direction.
On Sundays, the Edinburgh - Glasgow service is half hourly and the Dunblane to Edinburgh one is hourly.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Glasgow - Edinburgh Line
to Fife Circle Line
Edinburgh to Dunblane Line
Line open; station closed
|North British Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
|Manuel High Level
Line open; station closed
- Butt (1995), page 143
- GB National Rail Timetable 2013-14, Tables 228 & 230
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Linlithgow railway station.|
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- RAILSCOT on Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
- Linlithgow station on navigable OS map
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|