The twinflower Linnaea borealis became a personal emblem for Linnaeus.
|Meaning||linden tree or twinflower|
|Look up Linnéa in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
It has two derivations, both of which are linked to the famous 18th-century Swedish scientist Carl Linnaeus, who was ennobled as Carl von Linné later in life. Primarily, people have named their children in his honor; Linnaeus and Linné have been used as given names, usually for boys, and simple modification makes the name gender female. Secondarily, people have named their children after the twinflower Linnaea; which was itself named to honor Linnaeus. Linnaeus' family name in turn is derived from the Swedish word "Lind", the linden (lime tree).
Linnéa or Linnea was the seventh most popular given name for girls born in Sweden in 2008 and was the most popular name for girls born in 2008 in Norway. In 2013, it ranked 17 in Sweden and 7 in Norway. 
Some notable people with the name:
- Linnea Dale, born 1991, Norwegian singer
- Linnéa Darell, born 1945, Swedish politician
- Linnea Gustafsson, born 1986, Swedish orienteering competitor
- Linnea Henriksson, born 1986, Swedish singer and songwriter
- Linnéa Handberg Lund, born 1980, Danish eurodance musician
- Linnéa Hillberg, 1892-1977, Swedish actress
- Linnea Johnson, born 1946, American poet and feminist writer
- Linnea Mellgren, born 1989, Swedish figure skater
- Linnea Quigley, born 1958, American actress
- Linnea Sinclair, born 1954, American Science Fiction Romance author
- Linnea Torstenson, born 1983, Swedish handball player
- Linnea Hunter, born 1988, Geordie Counsellor/Comedian, and "A reet canny lass !"
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2007). A Dictionary of First Names. Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN 978-0198610601.
- Wallace, Carol (2004). The Greatest Baby Name Book Ever Rev Ed. Avon. ISBN 978-0060566494.
- "Linnæa -- origin and meaning". nordicnames. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Swedish Name Statistics 2013". nordicnames. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Norwegian Name Statistics 2013". nordicnames. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|