Lior Ashkenazi (born in 1969 in Ramat Gan) is an Israeli screen and stage actor.
Ashkenazi was born to Sephardi Jewish immigrants from Turkey who moved to Israel in 1964. He grew up in the Neveh Yehoshua neighborhood in Ramat Gan. His father, Shmuel, worked as a printer. His mother, Victoria, was a housewife. His parents spoke Ladino at home, and it was his first language. At the age of 16, in the wake of problems in school, he moved to Kibbutz Regavim.
In the Israel Defense Forces, he served as a paratrooper. He studied acting at Beit Zvi. After graduating in 1994, he worked for Habima and Beersheba Theater. He starred in many plays at Beit Lessin Theater under the direction of Zipi Pines, one of his teachers at Beit Zvi. He also appeared with the Cameri Theater in Tel Aviv, although Beit Lessin remained his home base.
Ashkenazi was first married to actress Shira Farber. After his divorce, he had a relationship with playwright and screenwriter Sigal Avin. He also had a relationship with a woman whose identity remains unknown. In December 2011 he married producer Maya Amsellem. They had a daughter in August 2012.
- Oppenheimer Strategies (2015)
- The Missionary (2013)
- Big Bad Wolves (2013)
- Yossi (2012)(Moti)
- Karon (2012)(Michael)
- Footnote (2011)
- Rabies (Kalevet, 2010) (the first horror feature ever from Israel)
- Ultimatum (2009)
- Hello Goodbye (2008)
- The Bubble (HaBuah, 2006)
- BeTipul (2005)
- Walk on Water (Lalechet Al HaMaim, 2004)
- Rutenberg (Ish HaHashmal, Electricity Man, 2003)
- Late Marriage (Hatuna Meuheret, 2001)
as dubbing voice actor
- Bolt (2008) (Bolt)
- Mulan II (2005) (Captain Lee Shang)
- Home on the Range (Mered Hachayot, 2004) (Buck Horse)
- Tarzan (1999) (Tarzan)
- Mulan (1998) (Captain Lee Shang)
- Pocahontas (1996) (Kocoum)
Awards and nominations
- Best Supporting Actor—Ish HaHashmal (Israeli Film Academy; nominated 2001)
- Best Actor—Walk on Water (Israeli Film Academy; won 2004)
- Best Actor—Hatuna Meuheret (Israeli Film Academy; won 2001)
- Best Actor— (Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Leading Actor; nominated 2015)
- The Naked Truth, Haaretz
- Big Bad Wolves official facebook
- Big Bad Wolves at the Internet Movie Database
- http://www.jfedpgh.org/rabies.aspx JFilm Festival presents: Rabies (Winner - Best Feature - Mile High Horror Film Festival)
- Lior Ashkenazi, Biography. Omanoot[dead link]
- For Your Consideration: The 2015 Chainsaw Award Nominees for Best Actor!