|Stable release||3.2.2 / July 23, 2014|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
Liquibase is an open source database-independent library for tracking, managing and applying database schema changes. It was started in 2006 to allow easier tracking of database changes, especially in an agile software development environment.
All changes to the database are stored in XML files and identified by a combination of an "id" and "author" tag as well as the name of the file itself. A list of all applied changes is stored in each database which is consulted on all database updates to determine what new changes need to be applied. As a result, there is no database version number but this approach allows it to work in environments with multiple developers and code branches.
Automatically creates DatabaseChangeLog Table and DatabaseChangeLogLock Table when you first execute a changeLog File.
- Over 30 built-in database refactorings
- Extensibility to create custom changes
- Update database to current version
- Rollback last X changes to database
- Rollback database changes to particular date/time
- Rollback database to "tag"
- SQL for Database Updates and Rollbacks can be saved for manual review
- Stand-alone IDE and Eclipse plug-in
- "Contexts" for including/excluding change sets to execute
- Database diff report
- Database diff changelog generation
- Ability to create changelog to generate an existing database
- Database change documentation generation
- DBMS Check, user check, and SQL check preconditions
- Ability to split change log into multiple files for easier management
- Executable via command line, Apache Ant, Apache Maven, servlet container, or Spring Framework.
- Support for 10 database systems
Datical is both the largest contributor to the Liquibase project and the developer of Datical DB – a commercial product which provides the core Liquibase functionality plus additional features to remove complexity, simplify deployment and bridge the gap between development and operations. Datical DB was created to satisfy the Application Schema management requirements of large enterprises as they move from Continuous Integration to Continuous Delivery. 
- Compare Databases enables you to compare two database schemas to identify change and easily move it to your change log.
- Change Forecasting: Forecast upcoming changes to be executed before they are run to determine how those changes will impact your data.
- Change Set Wizard to easily define and capture database changes in a database neutral manner.
- Deployment Plan Wizard for modeling and managing your logical deployment workflow
- Plug-ins to Jenkins, Bamboo, UrbanCode, CA Release Automation (Nolio), Serena Release Automation, BMC Bladelogic, Puppet, Chef, as well all popular source control systems like SVN, Git, TFS, CVS, etc.
Datical DB is used by DBAs, Release Managers, DevOps teams, Application Owners, Architects, and Developers involved in the Application Release process. It manages Database Schema changes together with application code in a programmatic fashion that eliminates errors and delays and enables rapid Agile releases. Datical DB builds upon the Liquibase Data Model Approach for managing data structure specific content across application versions as they advance from Development to Test to Production environments. Datical previews the impact of Schema changes in any environment before deployment thus mitigating risk and resulting in smoother and faster application changes.
Liquibase developer, Nathan Voxland, is an executive at Datical.
Sample Liquibase ChangeLog file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <databaseChangeLog xmlns="http://www.liquibase.org/xml/ns/dbchangelog/1.3" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.liquibase.org/xml/ns/dbchangelog/1.3 http://www.liquibase.org/xml/ns/dbchangelog/dbchangelog-1.3.xsd"> <preConditions> <dbms type="oracle"/> </preConditions> <changeSet id="1" author="alice"> <createTable tableName="news"> <column name="id" type="int"> <constraints primaryKey="true" nullable="false"/> </column> <column name="title" type="varchar(50)"/> </createTable> </changeSet> <changeSet id="12" author="bob"> <createSequence sequenceName="seq_news"/> </changeSet> <changeSet id="2" author="cpa" context="test"> <insert tableName="news"> <column name="id" value="1"/> <column name="title" value="Liquibase 0.8 Released"/> </insert> <insert tableName="news"> <column name="id" value="2"/> <column name="title" value="Liquibase 0.9 Released"/> </insert> </changeSet> </databaseChangeLog>
- Liquibase home page
- Liquibase Support & Training
- Liquibase Blog
- Datical - Commercial Version for Enterprises
- Quick Start Guide
- Liquibase Manual
- Nathan Voxland, Liquibase Creator, Joins Datical
- Techniques for Successful Evolutionary Database Development
- Automation for the people: Hands-free database migration by Paul Duvall