Lisa Feldman Barrett
|Lisa Feldman Barrett|
|Fields||Cognitive neuroscience, psychology|
|Institutions||Northeastern University, Boston College, Pennsylvania State University|
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo|
|Doctoral advisor||Mike Ross|
|Known for||Conceptual-act model of emotion|
|Notable awards||NIH Director's Pioneer Award|
|Spouse||Daniel J. Barrett|
Lisa Feldman Barrett is a University Distinguished Professor of Psychology at Northeastern University, where she focuses on the study of emotion. She is director of the Interdisciplinary Affective Science Laboratory. Along with James Russell, she is the founding editor-in-chief of the journal Emotion Review.
Born in Toronto, Canada in 1963, Barrett obtained her Bachelor of Science in Psychology with Honors at the University of Toronto. From there she completed a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at the University of Waterloo, in Ontario, Canada, and a Clinical Internship at the University of Manitoba Medical School. During her graduate training, Barrett developed her current hypothesis on emotion, the conceptual-act model of emotion.
At the beginning of her career, Dr. Barrett's research focused on the structure of affect, having developed experience-sampling methods and open-source software to study emotional experience. Dr. Barrett and members at IASL study the nature of emotion broadly from social-psychological, psychophysiological, cognitive science, and neuroscience perspectives, and take inspiration from anthropology, philosophy, and linguistics. They also explore the role of emotion in vision and other psychological phenomena.
Honors and awards
- Elected Fellow, Society of Experimental Psychologists, 2013.
- Award for Distinguished Service in Psychological Science, American Psychological Association, 2013.
- Elected Fellow, Royal Society of Canada, 2012.
- Excellence in Research and Creative Activity Award, Northeastern University, 2012
- Arts in Academics award, University of Waterloo, 2010
- Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2008
- Kavli Fellow in the Frontiers of Science Program, National Academy of Sciences, Frontiers of Science 2008
- NIH Director's Pioneer Award, 2007-2012.
- Career Trajectory Award, Society of Experimental Social Psychology 2006 
- Elected Fellow, American Psychological Association, 2005
- Elected Fellow, Society for Personality and Social Psychology, 2005.
- Elected fellow, Association for Psychological Science, 2003
- Independent Scientist Research (K02) Award, NIMH 2002-2007
- Barrett, L. F., & Bar, M. (2009). See it with feeling: Affective predictions in the human brain. Royal Society Phil Trans B, 364, 1325-1334.
- Barrett, L. F., & Bliss-Moreau, E. (2009). Affect as a psychological primitive. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 41, 167-218.
- Barrett, L. F., Lindquist, K., Bliss-Moreau, E., Duncan, S., Gendron, M., Mize, J., & Brennan, L. (2007). Of mice and men: Natural kinds of emotion in the mammalian brain? Perspectives on Psychological Science, 2, 297-312
- Barrett, L. F., Lindquist, K., & Gendron, M. (2007). Language as a context for emotion perception. Trends in Cognitive Sciences. 11, 327-332.
- Barrett, L. F. (2006). Emotions as natural kinds? Perspectives on Psychological Science, 1, 28-58.
- Barrett, L. F. (2006). Solving the emotion paradox: Categorization and the experience of emotion. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 10, 20-46.
- Barrett, L. F., & Barrett, D. J. (2001). Computerized experience-sampling: How technology facilitates the study of conscious experience. Social Science Computer Review, 19, 175-185.
- Feldman, L. A. (1995b). Valence focus and arousal focus: Individual differences in the structure of affective experience. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 69, 153-166
- Northeastern University Psychology Department
- "The Faces and Minds of Psychology," The Association for Psychological Science
- Emotion Review
- Hektner, Joel M.; Jennifer A. Schmidt; Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (September 2006). Experience Sampling Method: Measuring the Quality of Everyday Life.. SAGE Publications. p. 37 et al. ISBN 1-4129-4923-8.
- APA Award for Distinguished Service in Psychological Science
- Excellence in Research and Creative Activity Awards 2012
- Arts in Academics award
- Kavli Frontiers of Science
- Pioneer award announcement
- 2006 Career Trajectory Award
- Fellow status in APS