Lisa Sanders (born 24 July 1956) is an American physician, medical author and journalist, and assistant clinical professor of internal medicine and education at Yale School of Medicine. She is an attending physician at Yale-New Haven Hospital, which serves as the model on which Princeton-Plainsboro Hospital was fashioned for the series House M.D.
She has written a column called Diagnosis for The New York Times since 2002. Her column was the inspiration for the television series House M.D. in the mid-2000s (decade). She became one of three technical advisers to the show.
She majored English in the College of William & Mary, and later graduated from the premedicine program from Columbia University and graduated medicine in 1997 in Yale School of Medicine at age of 41, and is now part of the Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine.
Lisa Sanders won an Emmy Award as broadcast journalist (for ABC's "Good Morning America" and later for CBS News) and she was particularly drawn to stories about medicine, and eventually decided to pursue a career in the field.
In 2009, she published the book Every Patient Tells a Story, about the diagnostic value of patient interviews and their neglect relative to tests.
- The Perfect Fit Diet: Combine What Science Knows About Weight Loss With What You Know About Yourself. Rodale International Ltd, (January 3, 2004). ISBN 978-1-4050-7740-8
- "The Perfect Fit Diet: How to Lose Weight, Keep it Off and Still Eat the Foods You Love". St. Martin's Griffin (December 27, 2005) ISBN 0-312-33823-6
- Every Patient Tells a Story: Medical Mysteries and the Art of Diagnosis. Broadway, (August 11, 2009). ISBN 978-0-7679-2246-3
- Sanders, Lisa at authorities.loc.gov (Library of Congress Authorities)
- There’s A Doctor Behind ‘House’: Internist Lisa Sanders, Yale News, 30 October 2009
- Diagnosis A collection of Diagnosis columns published in The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-01-24.
- Lisa Sanders: Books, Biography... Amazon.com. Retrieved 2010-01-24.
- Max, Jill (Spring 2008 (volume 42, number 3)). "A doctor’s passion for medical storytelling". Yale Medicine. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Official website
- Meet Lisa Sanders, The Doctor Behind 'House' NPR August 13, 2009
- Lisa Sanders at the Internet Movie Database
- House Call: With Her New York Times Magazine Column, Dr. Lisa Sanders '79 Visits Thousands of Homes Each Week. William & Mary Alumni Magazine, Summer 2009 Vol 74:4. Retrieved 2010-01-24