Lise Anne Couture
Lise Anne Couture (born 1959 in Montreal, Canada) is a principal of Asymptote Architecture, the New York-based architecture practice.
She received her Master of Architecture degree in 1986 from Yale University.
Lise Anne Couture has held numerous academic appointments including the Bishop Chair and Saarinen Chair at Yale University, the Muschenheim Fellowship at the University of Michigan, the Kenzo Tange Chair for architecture at Harvard’s Graduate School of Design and distinguished visiting professorships at Princeton University, the Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc), the University of Virginia, l’Université de Montréal, the Berlage Institute in Amsterdam, Parsons School of Design and MIT. For over ten years she has been on the faculty of Columbia University’s Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation. In 2009 Lise Anne Couture held the Davenport Chair at Yale University as a Visiting Professor, and is currently the Baird Visiting Professor at Cornell University’s College of Architecture, Art & Planning as well as a Visiting Professor at Sci-Arc.
Lise Anne Couture has been a New York Foundation of the Arts Fellow. She is a New York State Registered Architect and a member of the AIA. She sits on the Board of Directors of the Architectural League of New York, the Advisory Board of the Builder’s Association and serves on the federal government’s GSA Design Excellence Peer Review Board.
In 2004 Hani Rashid and Lise Anne Couture were presented with the Frederick Kiesler Prize for Architecture and the Arts in recognition of exceptional contributions to the progress and merging of the disciplines and fields of art and architecture.
Couture's work as principal of Asymptote includes among others the completion of 166 Perry Street a luxury residential building in Manhattan's West Village; the Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi Hotel in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates as well as the award-winning HydraPier Pavilion in Haarlemmermeer, Netherlands.
- Middle East Architect Awards, Hospitality Project of the Year, The Yas Hotel (2011)
- Travel + Leisure Design Awards, Best Large Hotel, The Yas Hotel (2010)
- Grand Prix de l'Architecture, Festival Automobile International (2010)
- IESNA Illumination Award (2010)
- Le Grand Prix de l’Architecture, FAI, Paris, The Yas Hotel (2010)
- American Architecture Award, Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design (2008)
- AIA NY Chapter Design Award, Interior Architecture (2007)
- AIA New York Chapter Design Award, Interior Architecture (2005)
- Frederick Kiesler Prize for Architecture and the Arts (2004)
- AIA New York Chapter Design Award, Architecture (2002)
- Hani Rashid, Lise Anne Couture: Asymptote. Architecture at the Interval, Rizzoli 1995, ISBN 0847818616
- Hani Rashid, Lise Anne Couture: Asymptote: Flux, Phaidon Press 2002, ISBN 0714841722
- Hani Rashid, Lise Anne Couture: Asymptote: Works and Projects, Skira 2002, ISBN 888491261X
- Hani Rashid, Lise Anne Couture: Asymptote Architecture Actualizations, Asia Art & Design Cooperation 2010, ISBN 978-7-5609-5599-5
- Pogrebin, Robin (28 June 2007). "A Luxury Condo by Arty Architects From the Fringe". The New York Times. Retrieved 5 January 2008.
- "The Yas Hotel". December 2009. Archived from the original on 2010-11-19. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Project Portfolio: HydraPier". Architectural Record. Retrieved 7 January 2008.