B.A., M.A., M.Ed., MP
|Member of the Canadian Parliament
May 30, 2011
|Preceded by||Jean-Yves Laforest|
|Born||April 18, 1940|
|Political party||Liberal Party (2012–present)|
|New Democratic Party (2011–2012)|
Lise St-Denis (born April 18, 1940) is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the Canadian House of Commons in the 2011 election. She was elected in the electoral district of Saint-Maurice—Champlain as a member of the New Democratic Party, but crossed the floor to the Liberal Party of Canada on January 10, 2012, saying in French to explain her move: "Voters voted for Jack Layton. Jack Layton is dead."
Prior to being elected, St-Denis was a teacher. She has a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in Quebec literature. She ran as the New Democratic Party's candidate in Longueuil—Pierre-Boucher in the 2008 election, losing to Jean Dorion of the Bloc Québécois.
Before joining the Liberals, St-Denis supported Thomas Mulcair to be the next leader of the NDP.
|Canadian federal election, 2011|
|New Democratic||Lise St-Denis||18,628||39.1||+31.3|
|Bloc Québécois||Jean-Yves Laforest||13,961||29.3||-14.7|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||47,678||100.0|
|Total rejected ballots||1,193||2.4||–|
|Canadian federal election, 2008|
|Bloc Québécois||Jean Dorion||23,118||46.1||-9.1||$49,818|
|New Democratic||Lise St-Denis||7,021||14.0||+5.4||$1,131|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||50,124||100.0||$83,504|
|Total rejected ballots||682||1.34|
- Election 2011: Saint-Maurice—Champlain. The Globe and Mail, May 2, 2011.
- "NDP MP Lise St-Denis jumps to Liberals". CBC News. January 11, 2012.
- Lise St-Denis, Quebec MP for Saint-Maurice-Champlain, defects from NDP to Liberals. National Post, January 10, 2012.
- "Lise St-Denis continues to serve her constituents." NDP, July 13, 2011.
- Leblanc, Daniel (10 January 2012). "As St-Denis defects to Liberals, cracks emerge in NDP’s Quebec base". Globe & Mail (Toronto). Retrieved 11 January 2012.
|This article about a Quebec Member of Parliament is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|