List of Alfred University people
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of notable alumni and faculty of Alfred University.
- Melvil Dewey, Librarian, creator of the Dewey Decimal System, who attended in 1870 but did not graduate
- Katja Lindenberg, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry, University of California, San Diego
- Robert Archambeau - Ceramic artist
- Nathan Lyons, 1957 -, founder, Director Emeritus of Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY
- Taylor Lee, Illustrator of Winchell Cuts The Cheese and the Clueless Groom's Guide
- Arnold Zimmerman, modern sculptor
- Robert H. Benmosche 1966, CEO, American International Group; Chairman, former President and Chief Executive Officer of Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
- Peter Cuneo 1967, Chairman of Cuneo and Co., and Marvel Enterprises, Inc
- Jeffery S. Maurer 1969, former CEO US Trust Company, Neuberger Berman Trust Company, Lehman Brothers Trust Company
- Robert R. McComsey 1966, former partner, Neuberger Berman, LLC
- Joel P. Moskowitz 1961, President & Chairman of the Board, Ceradyne, Inc.
- Arthur L. Powell 1943, President of Kravco, Inc.
- Bob Keeshan, better known as Captain Kangaroo, received an honorary doctorate from Alfred in 1969.
- Robert Klein, Actor and comedian 
- Samuel Hulbert - Biomedical engineer, pioneer in ceramic devices and president of Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Clarence W. Spicer - Inventor and businessman, student 1891-1894, invented a type of Universal joint and founded Spicer Manufacturing Company, now the Dana Corporation.
- Ward Churchill - American writer and political activist received an honorary doctorate in 1992.
- Richard Dolan, Author whose works include UFOs and the National Security State.
- Peter Jenkins, Author whose book "A Walk Across America" begins in Alfred
- Robert Littell, who has written several spy novels
- George P. Darrow, United States Congressman from Pennsylvania
- Nancy Nadel, City Councilmember, Oakland, California
- Artist Robert C. Turner, an influential ceramics artist and teacher who founded the ceramics program at Black Mountain College. Along with Val Cushing, Wayne Higby, and Daniel Rhodes, Turner was a key member of the Alfred ceramics faculty in the 50's-70's, which is considered by some to be the "golden age" of the Alfred ceramics program.
- Artist Wayne Higby, considered to be one of the defining ceramic artists of the 80's. Known for his work in Raku ceramics, Higby attained considerable attention with his large bowl forms that toyed with the notion of vessel and landscape imagery.
- Poet Ben Howard, author of six books of poetry.
- Artist and printmaker Joe Scheer.
- Photographer/ Printmaker John Wood.
- Coach Alexander (Alex) Joseph Yunevich, head football coach from 1937-1941 and 1946-1976, posting a 177-85-12 record with six undefeated seasons.
- Peer Bode, video and new media artist
- "Lindenberg Group Webpage".
- Alfred University : New York State College of Ceramics : News
- Forbes. "Robert H. Benmosche". Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "Alfred University : Board of Trustees". Alfred University. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "Alfred University, Honorary Degrees, 1960-1969".[dead link]
- "Robert Klein Biography". The Conversation Company, Ltd. Retrieved 2009-09-18.[dead link]
- Alfred University, Special Collections & Archives, Herrick Memorial Library. Clarence W. Spicer[dead link]. Retrieved on 2007-12-07
- "Alfred University, Honorary Degrees, 1990-1999".[dead link]
- Jenkins, Peter. "About Peter Jenkins". Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "DARROW, George Potter". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. United States Congress. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- Alfred University, Special Collections & Archives, Herrick Memorial Library. Alex Yunevich. Retrieved on 2007-12-07