List of inquiries into uranium mining in Australia
For several decades uranium mining has been a major part of the Australian political landscape, with opposition groups citing the wide ranging environmental impacts, indigenous land access and nuclear proliferation as reasons for ceasing or restricting the industry. The debate has resulted in limitations on mining and export activities, with Federal and State governments occasionally flip-flopping on public policy. In the meantime, mining companies have pursued exploration activities, and in some instances stockpiled mined ore.
- 1976: Ranger Uranium Environmental Inquiry (Fox Report) (Vol 1) - Ranger Uranium Environmental Inquiry - Whether Australia should mine and export uranium
- 1977: Fox Report (Vol 2) - Ranger Uranium Environmental Inquiry - Proposed Development of Ranger
- 1986: Ranger Uranium: Water Management System - House of Representatives inquiry
- 1988: The Potential of the Kakadu National Park Region - Senate Standing Committee on Environment, Recreation and the Arts
- 1991: Mining and Minerals Processing in Australia (4 Vols) – Industry Commission
- 1991: Kakadu Conservation Zone Inquiry Final Report – Resources Assessment Commission
- 1996: Report of the Senate Select Committee on Radioactive Waste. In response to this the Senate decided to reconstitute the Committee as the Select Committee on Uranium Mining and Milling.
- 1996: Senate Select Committee established to report on Uranium Mining and Milling
- 1997: Senate Select Committee on Uranium Mining and Milling released report
- 1999: Australia’s Kakadu – Government response to UNESCO World Heritage Committee regarding Kakadu National Park.
- 1999: Senate Inquiry into Jabiluka Uranium Mine Project referred to ECITA Committee
- 1999: Report of ECITA Committee into Jabiluka Uranium Mine Project released
- 2002: Senate Inquiry into Environmental Regulation of Uranium Mining
- 2006: Australia’s uranium — Greenhouse friendly fuel for an energy hungry world - House of Representatives Standing Committee on Industry and Resources
- "Welcome". Radium Hill Historical Association. Retrieved 27 July 2009.
- "Radium Hill, SA". www.sea-us.org.au. Retrieved 27 July 2009.
- "Australia's Uranium and Nuclear Power Prospects". World Nuclear Association. April 2009. Retrieved 24 July 2009.
- Major Commonwealth Inquiries and Reports relating to Uranium Mining