List of Awkward episodes
Awkward is an American teen sitcom series created by Lauren Iungerich for MTV. The show's central character is teenager Jenna Hamilton (Ashley Rickards), who struggles with her identity, especially after an accident is misconstrued as a suicide attempt. The second season began on June 28, 2012, and finished on September 20, 2012. Season 3 premiered on April 16, 2013. Season 4 premiered on April 15, 2014.
As of June 18, 2014[update], 55 original episodes of Awkward have aired over four seasons.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release date|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||12||July 19, 2011||September 27, 2011||November 14, 2011||October 4, 2012||October 17, 2012|
|2||12||June 28, 2012||September 20, 2012||October 16, 2012||N/A||N/A|
|3||20||April 16, 2013||December 17, 2013||September 16, 2014||TBA||TBA|
|4||20||April 15, 2014||TBA||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Season 1 (2011)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||1||"Pilot"||Millicent Shelton||Lauren Iungerich||July 19, 2011||1.72|
|In the series premiere of Awkward, Jenna loses her virginity at summer camp with the boy of her dreams. She realizes getting the boy of your dreams isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially when he's too embarrassed to be seen with you. Jenna also gets a 'care-frontation letter' and has an accident in her bathroom, which everyone thinks was an attempted suicide, but she starts to realize this mistake might actually be her ticket to social visibility.|
|2||2||"Knocker Nightmare"||Ryan Shiraki||Lauren Iungerich||July 26, 2011||1.43|
|Mean girls Sadie and Lissa snap a nude photo of Jenna in the girls' locker room and send it to the entire school, eliciting some surprising reactions. Matty says something mean about the photo and Jenna gets upset, but eventually Matty takes all the pictures down at their school and goes to her house, where the pair ends up kissing.|
|3||3||"The Way We Weren't"||Ryan Shiraki||Erin Ehrlich||August 2, 2011||1.62|
|When Jenna thinks Matty is taking their relationship public at an 'in crowd' party, she's heartbroken when he ditches her for another girl. Jenna starts to get to know Jake, and Tamara starts to make some new friends.|
|4||4||"The Scarlet Eye"||David Katzenberg||Meredith Philpott||August 9, 2011||1.94|
|Everyone that was in the hot tub at Lissa's party gets pink eye including Tamara. When the homecoming bonfire comes Jenna wants to DTR (Define the relationship) with Matty before the bonfire where everyone hooks up.|
|5||5||"Jenna Lives"||David Katzenberg||Kelly Fullerton||August 16, 2011||1.88|
|Jenna gets a strange stalker who advertises her fake suicide; after confronting him, she ends up in detention where she meets "Jenna Plus", a junior she suspects is Matty's new girlfriend. When Jenna Plus (actually named Olivia) invites Jenna to skip out on detention, Jenna finds she's rather sweet and begins to wonder if it's because of the way she sees herself that Matty isn't willing to be in a relationship with her. While talking to Jake she tells him that she likes a guy who's already taken and Jake mistakenly thinks she's talking about him. Jake later approaches her and says that if the guy she liked didn't have a girlfriend he would be all over her. He kisses her and Jenna quickly leaves, confused. Meanwhile, it turns out that Olivia is actually Matty's "girlfriend-in-law", as she's dating his older brother.|
|6||6||"Queen Bee-atches"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich & Nate Federman||August 23, 2011||2.36|
|Jenna is forced to mingle with the mean girls at an elite charity event for her mom. Later, things get even more awkward when she runs into Matty and Jake. Jake acts weird when Jenna comes in the room, and tells Matty about the kiss . Jenna and Tamara sneak into Sadie's room and find her diary/food journal. Jenna uses it to her advantage and blackmails Sadie into accepting her mom into the club. Later, Jenna's mom over hears the other moms talking trash behind her back, discretely ruins a vase, and quickly leaves with Jenna. The episode ends with Jake asking Jenna if they can talk.|
|7||7||"Over My Dead Body"||Ryan Shiraki||Cassie Pappas||August 30, 2011||1.99|
|A mock DUI event is held at the school, and Jenna gets cast as the victim. Jake is the male lead and begins to develop feeling for Jenna and Matty gets jealous.|
|8||8||"The Adventures of Aunt Ally and the Lil' Bitch"||David Katzenberg||Lauren Iungerich & Andrew C. Veeder||September 6, 2011||2.08|
|Jenna throws a wild keg party to try to impress Matty, with help from her mom and her mom's best friend, Ally. The next day, a hungover Jenny struggles to reconstruct the events of the night, which ended with Jenna giving a lecture to Jake, hurting Matty's feelings and a kiss with Ricky (Tamara's crush who she talks about throughout the whole season and dies in the third season because of peanut allergy). After Tamara throws out her and Jenna's best friend picture, and their friendship, she tells Jenna that she is "so glad she wrote that letter", talking about the "carefrontation".|
|9||9||"My Super Bittersweet Sixteen"||David Katzenberg||Erin Ehrlich||September 13, 2011||2.28|
|It's Jenna's 16th birthday and Valerie surprises her with a birthday rap in the school cafeteria. The rest of the day doesn't go very well but at the end of the day at 7:32pm (the minute Jenna turns 16) Matty knocks on her door to reveal that he wants to be more than friends and the episode ends with them making out.|
|10||10||"No Doubt"||Patrick Norris||Kelly Fullerton & Cassie Pappas & Meredith Philpott||September 20, 2011||2.11|
|It's a normal day at school, until Jenna notices a fight between Jake and Lissa because Jake told Lissa he kissed Jenna. This causes a weird conversation between Jake, Lissa, and Valerie about how he can make up to Lissa. Elsewhere, Jenna tries to reconnect with Tamara with help from Ming. Jenna is forgiven, but Tamara confesses she didn't write the letter and just said it because she was hurt. Moreover, Tamara voices her theory that Matty wrote the letter. This causes Jenna to rethink her "relationship" with Matty while complications arise when Matty wants to take Jenna out for dinner in a secluded area. It turns out to be Matty's family's restaurant and Jenna's concerns are resolved when Matty's uncle comments about how Matty has never taken a girl there before. When they get back to Jenna's home, Tamara and Ming bust their date with games and confessions but are soon won over by Matty's true words. Before leaving Matty and Jenna alone, Tamara whispers that she doesn't think that Matty wrote the letter anymore. In the meantime, Lissa and Sadie team up to make Jake break up his friendship with Jenna but he ends up apologizing to Jenna for the earlier fight, and breaks up with Lissa.|
|11||11||"I Am Jenna Hamilton"||Patrick Norris||Erin Ehrlich & Lauren Iungerich||September 27, 2011||2.24|
|Matty and Jenna have barbecue with Jenna's parents, and they discuss the upcoming formal dance. Matty doesn't actually ask Jenna to the dance, but does ask her what color dress she will be wearing. Later, while still not asking her to the dance, he asks her if she is a limo girl or not. Jenna sees several boys going to great lengths to make a "big ask," by dressing up as apes, popping out of coffins, etc. Jake asks Jenna to the dance by giving her a mix CD, which has "Will you go to the dance with me?" printed on it. She tells him that she can't go with him because she already has a date. Matty and Jake talk about the Formal, and Jake tells Matty about being turned down by Jenna. Matty almost tells Jake about going with Jenna, but chickens out, and later asks Jenna if it would be okay if they skip the Formal (because he doesn't want to hurt Jake, but he doesn't tell Jenna that). Meanwhile, Sadie manages to steal Jenna's file, with the letter in it. Jenna is surprised to be nominated for Sophomore Princess, but then discovers that the ballot has her letter printed on the back of it. Jenna decides that she deserves more than Matty has offered, and tells him that she won't go out with him that night, to the Formal, or anywhere.|
|12||12||"Fateful"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||September 27, 2011||2.24|
|Jenna agrees to go to the Formal with Jake. She convinces him to take Tamara as well, since they're just going as friends, and Ming tags along as well. Matty decides that he won't give up on Jenna and goes to her house, only to find that Jenna has already left for the Formal. Jake and Jenna have a good time at the Formal, and Jenna decides that maybe Jake is the one for her and they kiss, but then Matty shows up. Without either of them letting Jake know what has happened, they talk about whether they should be together. Jenna takes Jake's hand and realizes that that's what she wants, and tells Matty that she's very sorry, but she thinks it is too late. When Jake and Jenna get home, and they kiss again. She asks him if he wants to come inside since her parents aren't home. He does, but she asks him if it's okay if they wait, and he says of course. She tells him that holding hands mean a lot to her, since he's the first person other than her parents to hold her hand in public. They manage to set off the alarm, and Jake goes home. Jenna, looking for the alarm code, goes into the junk drawer and finds a note pad that has the same paper the letter was written on, and realizes her mother is the one who wrote the letter.|
Season 2 (2012)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|13||1||"Resolutions"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||June 28, 2012||2.15|
|Winter Break is heading to an end, that is not until after a New Year's Party at Matty's house. Jenna thinks that Matty is completely over her until he says he wants another chance. So Jenna has two options: meet Matty and have another secret night together or go with Jake, her unofficial boyfriend. Jenna chooses Jake and as she shares a passionate kiss with him. Matty and Sadie share a makeout session until Matty falls asleep. Later in the night, when Jake is at Jenna's house, he sees the condoms her dad gave her in which she reveals to him that she is not a virgin. At the end of the episode Jenna becomes "official" with Jake and she finally deals with the Care-Frontation letter.|
|14||2||"Sex, Lies and the Sanctuary"||Erin Ehrlich||Erin Ehrlich||July 5, 2012||1.76|
|The school year is back into action and it's not the only thing. The Sanctuary has got a video camera put in taping all the "Scandalous" stuff that's happened over the year. Jenna and Matty debate whether or not to tell Jake about their private relationship. Matty confesses to Jenna that he loves her, but Jenna states she has moved on and really likes Jake. Jake reveals to Jenna that he is jealous of her previous boyfriend and does not wish to know anything about that relationship. Meanwhile, Jenna pressures her mom into telling her dad about writing the letter.|
|15||3||"Three's a Crowd"||David Katzenberg||Kelly Fullerton||July 12, 2012||1.72|
|Jenna and Jake's relationship is finally going smoothly- that is, until Matty starts tagging along and trying to tempt Jenna, constantly trying to seduce her. Meanwhile, Val gets promoted to vice principal and takes her new job a little too seriously, and Jenna's parents are now separated. Her father went to stay with Jenna's grandmother while her mother stays home and adjusts to being lonely.|
|16||4||"Are You There God? It's Me, Jenna"||Ryan Shiraki||Annabel Oakes||July 19, 2012||1.58|
|Post her parents separation, Jenna feels responsible. In an impulsive effort to absolve herself, she seeks refuge from her problems in a higher power with Lissa at Church Camp. Little does she know that Sadie has decided to tag along as well. With the help of Valerie, Lacey attempts to eat alone for the first time.|
|17||5||"My Love Is a Black Heart"||David Katzenberg||Michael J. Cinquemani||July 26, 2012||1.79|
|Valentine's Day has arrived and dividing the school between swooning lovers and jealous haters. As Jenna prepares to spend her first V-day with a boyfriend, will jealousy rear its ugly head for her and Tamara as they confront the possibility that their ex's are moving on without them?|
|18||6||"What Comes First: Sex or Love?"||Ryan Shiraki||Lauren Iungerich||August 2, 2012||1.82|
|Still reeling from Jake's proclamation of love, Jenna considers sleeping with him, believing sex might bring her some clarity about her own feelings. However, when Jenna leans over, she hits the PA system button and ends up telling the whole school that she wants to sleep with Jake. Meanwhile, her mother's best friend Ally announces that she is engaged, and her fiancé, "Dan the Man", turns out to be Sadie's uncle.|
|19||7||"Another One Bites the Dust"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||August 9, 2012||1.82|
|Jenna is determined to take her relationship with Jake to the next level, but there are obstacles, including her Aunt Ally's wedding, a man from her mom's past and a scheming Sadie. Jake tries to stand up for Tamara when Sadie won't stop making out with Ricky in public, rubbing it in Tamara's face, and Sadie reveals to Jake about Jenna and Matty's relationship.|
|20||8||"Time After Time"||Lauren Iungerich||Erin Ehrlich & Lauren Iungerich||August 16, 2012||1.95|
|Jake gets upset when he learns of Jenna and Matty's past, breaking up with Jenna saying 'the timing wasn't right'. Meanwhile Lacey ends up dancing with her old boyfriend Ben at the wedding. Jenna's dad ends up coming finding them dancing and is heartbroken.After Jake breaks up with her,Matty later shows up at Jenna's house to comfort her. Jenna tells Matty she is still in love with him and end up kissing as Jake watches to his horror from the window.|
|21||9||"Homewrecker Hamilton"||Joe Nussbaum||Kelly Fullerton & Vera Herbert||August 23, 2012||2.19|
|Jenna desperately tries to fix things with Jake, but he is convinced that she is a cheater, with him having photo evidence of Jenna & Matty's makeout session the night before. Tensions between Jake and Matty come out during a pep rally, resulting in a fist fight. Meanwhile, Jenna's dad gets her a car and she takes this as a sign of her parent's forthcoming divorce. Ming also finds herself on the outs with the Asian Mafia when it is revealed that her boyfriend, Fred Wu, used to date Becca.|
|22||10||"Pick Me, Choose Me, Love Me"||Joe Nussbaum||Lauren Iungerich||August 30, 2012||1.74|
|Jake and Matty demand answers from Jenna after reading her blog. Jenna gets confused on who she likes more but does not pick on the spot. Jake and Matty become friends again and constantly ask Jenna who she picks. Meanwhile, Jenna's mom gets revealed as the person who wrote the letter and gets criticized by many people. Jenna and the boys are in good speaking terms again.|
|23||11||"Once Upon a Blog"||Michael Blieden||Erin Ehrlich||September 13, 2012||1.78|
|Jenna fictionalizes her Blog in an attempt to change her fate. By the end of the episode she changes her blog to private again, and figures out who she wants to be with.|
|24||12||"The Other Shoe"||Michael Blieden||Lauren Iungerich||September 20, 2012||2.17|
|Jenna prepares for her trip to Europe while her decision about the boys goes public in the Season 2 finale. She chooses Matty then Jake and Tamara make-out. Ricky is seen kissing a guy, and Jenna has mixed feelings over whether she made the right choice or not.|
Season 3 (2013)
On July 16, 2012, Awkward. was renewed for an extended third season of 20 episodes. A promo was released March 11, 2013, which revealed that season three would begin on April 16, 2013 with a double bill. The season took a break after episode 10 aired on June 11 and returned on October 22. This season is the last to feature creator Lauren Iungerich as showrunner.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|25||1||"Cha-cha-cha-changes"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||April 16, 2013||2.14|
|Jenna and the others start their junior year, and she feels isolated from her friends after their summer vacation in Europe. Everyone suspects Sadie is pregnant, but reveals to Lissa that she and her family are now broke. However, Jenna herself goes through a pregnancy scare, but is relieved to find out she is not pregnant, and her mother convinces her not to tell Matty about the whole ordeal. Ricky Schwartz dies.|
|26||2||"Responsibly Irresponsible"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||April 16, 2013||2.14|
|The school mourns Ricky's death in numerous ways and everyone expresses their feelings at Ricky's vigil/kegger party. Jenna tells Jake about her pregnancy scare instead of Matty, and when he finds out from Jake rather than her, he gets upset.|
|27||3||"A Little Less Conversation"||Erin Ehrlich||Erin Ehrlich||April 23, 2013||1.34|
|Jenna feels that Matty has become distant after he found out about the pregnancy scare through Jake. Ming is trying to hide from the Asian Mafia. Sadie is experiencing loneliness after her family and friends all ditched her and calls up Matty for support. Matty tells Jenna that they need to talk, which prompts her to get Tamara to arrange a group date with her, Matty, Tamara, Jake, Ming, and Henry to avoid having alone time with Matty. Matty is jealous of Jenna and Jake's easygoing friendship.|
|28||4||"Let's Talk About Sex"||Hal Olofsson||Christy Stratton||April 30, 2013||1.38|
|Jenna's dad finds out that she and Matty are sexually active and proceeds to tell Matty's parents. The McKibbens come over for dinner, which doesn't end well, as the women get into an argument over their different parenting styles. Meanwhile, Tamara and Jake are contemplating sex for the first time. Jake confesses that he loves Tamara|
|29||5||"Indecent Exposure"||Joe Nussbaum||Lauren Iungerich & Michael J. Cinquemani||May 7, 2013||1.38|
|Matty moves in after a dispute with his parents, but it proves to be too much for Jenna. Tamara invites herself to a sleepover at Sadie's despite Jake's warnings.|
|30||6||"That Girl Strikes Again"||Joe Nussbaum||Todd Waldman||May 14, 2013||1.12|
|It's Halloween and Jenna feels insecure about how she looks next to Matty, who was #1 on the school's "Hot" list. She convinces Matty, Jake, Tamara, and Sadie to attend a party hosted by Sadie's archnemesis, Angelique, who happens to be Collin's girlfriend. Tamara gets stuck with a random girl whose facial piercing got caught on her clothing, while Jake accidentally gets high. Wanting to fit in, Jenna tells everyone about her so-called suicide attempt, while Matty finds himself not fitting in with the people at the party.|
|31||7||"Guilt Trippin'"||Ryan Shiraki||Vera Herbert||May 21, 2013||1.17|
|During the homecoming pinnings, Jenna feels bad for the single girls who don't have dates to the dance, so she decides to take a stand, focusing on a social outsider named Christy, who was a childhood friend of hers. Jake teaches Matty how to dance after Tamara tells them that Jenna didn't want to go to the dance for that reason. Meanwhile, Ming turns to Sadie for help in playing mind games on Becca.|
|32||8||"Rubbed Raw and Reeling"||Ryan Shiraki||Jamie Dooner & Lauren Iungerich||May 28, 2013||1.35|
|Jenna's creative writing instructor challenges her to read a personal piece at an open mic. Matty and Jake have a "brobeque" and challenge each other to forget about their girlfriends for one night.|
|33||9||"Reality Check"||Lauren Iungerich||Erin Ehrlich||June 4, 2013||0.99|
|Jenna's realizes she may have feelings for Collin after he keeps popping in her head while writing. Ming deals with Becca with physical violence.|
|34||10||"Redefining Jenna"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||June 11, 2013||1.22|
|Tamara co-hosts the big Black Friday party, pushing Jake to the edge with her bossiness. Ming becomes the new Asian mafia leader. Meanwhile Jenna gets invited to a separate party from Collin. Matty admits he doesn't want to go to Collin's party and has been embarrassed by Jenna all along, leaving Jenna to attend the party on her own. Collin admits his feelings for Jenna and they make out in his car. On Matty's walk to greet Jenna, they quickly stop and Collin drives away. He has no knowledge of their kiss. The episode is continued at the next episode.|
|35||11||"Surprise!"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||October 22, 2013||1.56|
|Jenna desperately wants to cut ties with Collin, but they both find it to be harder than they think. Word is getting around about their affair and Tamara has trouble keeping all of the secrets. Lacey wants to throw Jenna a surprise party, but ends up canceling it when Jenna expresses her disinterest in celebrating. In a surprise turn of events, everyone gathers at the Hamilton house for a party anyway, but they are all in shock as Jenna and Collin walk in making out, thinking that they had the house to themselves.|
|36||12||"And Then What Happened"||Lauren Iungerich||Lauren Iungerich||October 29, 2013||1.21|
|Everyone gathers to re-tell what had actually gone down at Jenna's super-glitz party and to speculate whether or not Jenna and Matty are still a couple. Jenna refuses to leave her house and Lacey keeps prodding her for information. We find out that Tamara had punched Collin in the nose in Matty's defense. In the end, Jenna and Matty finally meet up. While Matty is willing to eventually forgive Jenna and go back to the way they were, Jenna breaks up with him, thinking that they both probably deserve better.|
|37||13||"Taking Sides"||Steve Gainer||Erin Ehrlich & Michael J. Cinquemani||November 5, 2013||1.02|
|Matty still wants to get back with Jenna, but she is now officially seeing Collin, much to everyone else's disapproval. After rejecting Austin's advances, Sadie sets him up with Lissa but soon has a change of heart. Jenna throws a barbecue to formally introduce Collin to all of her friends, but things don't go as planned. Jake becomes furious with Tamara and leaves after finding out that she knew about Jenna cheating before the party. This in turn causes Tamara and Ming to miss the party. Thinking that her best friends stood her up, Jenna harasses the two over text messages, leaving her with no acquaintances except Collin.|
|38||14||"The Bad Seed"||Gregory Guzik||Jen Braeden||November 12, 2013||1.09|
|Jenna and Collin nearly get arrested for smoking pot in his car, but the cop is an old classmate of Jenna's father, so lets them go. Jenna further alienates herself from her friends, as well as her parents. Her father in particular believes that Collin is a bad influence. Sadie has been stuck in Ally's care as her mother left her alone while she was off seeing a guy in New Mexico. Ally becomes Sadie's legal guardian when Sadie's mother is willing to give her away.|
|39||15||"A Very Special Episode of Awkward"||Joe Nussbaum||Erin Ehrlich||November 19, 2013||1.06|
|Valerie recruits students to be in her After School Special video. Jenna lies to Val to get her and Collin out of the project. Sadie suggests a story of a loser girl who tries to kill herself then becomes popular then alienates all her friends. The story, called “What Are We Gonna Do About Jenny” is obviously copied from Jenna’s life. Jake, Tamara & Ming immediately recognize that the film is about Jenna, but think Jenna may re-think her life after seeing the film. Jenna’s mom finds out that she lied to Val and forces Jenna to be part of the film. While filming a scene, Jenna and Tamara argue, with Jenna sticking up for “Jenny.” Jenna snaps at Matty and then Val catches Jenna lighting a joint at school and suspends her. Val realizes the story was about Jenna and goes to help her but Jenna goes off on Val.|
|40||16||"Less Than Hero"||Joe Nussbaum||Joe Nussbaum||November 19, 2013||1.06|
|Jenna writes a mean essay about Val and gives it to Mr. Hart to publish. Val attempts to patch things up with Jenna, but Jenna rejects it. Tamara pushes Jake to do more work in his campaign for Class President. Val & Lacey attempt an unsuccessful intervention. Lacy & Kevin struggle over showing tough love to Jenna. Jake fights Tamara over her trying to change him into the perfect boyfriend and their fight ends with her deciding to run against him for Class President. Jenna goes to a club with Collin but discovers that Collin has also invited his ex, Angelique. Jenna flees to the bathroom when Collin wants her to do ecstasy, but then she learns that Angelique already put the drug in her drink. High from the ecstasy, Jenna, Collin and Angelique are on the verge of a threesome when Jenna feels uncomfortable and says she needs to go home. Instead, Collin grabs Angelique and begins kissing her. Desperate, Jenna calls Matty for a ride. Still high, Jenna gets upset over another girl's earring in Matty's car and asks Matty to hold her. Jenna thanks Matty for being her hero and he says it's all he ever wanted to be.|
|41||17||"The Campaign Fail"||David Katzenberg||Christy Stratton||November 26, 2013||1.05|
|Jenna attempts reconciling with her parents and friends, but the friends aren't so willing to take her back in. Things get down and dirty in the Presidential Campaign between Blake and Sahara. Ming begins losing control of the Asian Mafia. Jenna learns that she's caused a fight between Matty and Devon, over Matty leaving to pick up Jenna. Jenna confronts Collin, asking if he slept with Angelique after the club, but Jenna learns that he had never stopped having sex with Angelique. Val gets indefinitely suspended from her job because of Jenna's article. Tamara wins the Presidential election and Jake breaks up with her because of it.|
|42||18||"Old Jenna"||David Katzenberg||Jamie Dooner & Lauren Iungerich||December 3, 2013||1.13|
|Jenna befriends the new girl, Bailey. Lacey's new job as school nurse attracts the attention of all the boys in school. Tamara and Ming agree to be friends with Jenna again but on probationary terms. Jenna learns that Matty and Devon broke up and also that Matty's parents split up. Austin goes all business on Sadie and Sadie struggles to get him to make a move. Jenna hopes to get together with Matty at his party, but then finds him making out with Hunter, the older girl who had taken his virginity. Jenna gets drunk and kisses Jake, but then Tamara and Jake make up while lecturing Jenna. The next morning Matty reveals that he didn't spend the night with Hunter and there's someone else (Jenna) that he'd rather be with. Jenna sends a message to Vag, but Vag calls back that it's inappropriate for them to be talking and that she's been fired.|
|43||19||"Karmic Relief"||Erin Ehrlich||Erin Ehrlich||December 10, 2013||1.03|
Jenna still feels guilty about losing Val's job, so she seeks to make amends. She enlists her mother's help to get Val to attend the school hearing. Meanwhile, it's prom season at Palos Hills and Jenna is convinced that Matty will ask her in the midst of their renewed friendship. Ming faces a coup d'état from the Asian mafia when former leader Becca returns.Note: This is a special 1 hour episode.
|44||20||"Who I Want to Be"||Joe Nussbaum||Lauren Iungerich||December 17, 2013||1.30|
Jenna is upset over Matty asking Bailey to prom. She finds solace in a self-discovery novel that was written by none other than Mr. Heart. Later, Jenna finds out that Bailey actually said no to Matty because of her and in a moment of selflessness, she gets Bailey and Matty to agree to go to prom together, despite still longing for Matty. Meanwhile, Jake is tired of feeling controlled by Tamara and Ming is stressed over having to lose her virginity to Fred on porn night. Sadie also finds herself falling in love with Austin. Jenna finishes her assignment, after finding inspiration from a talk with her mother, to head to the prom alone, where she dances with Matty to which they talk about their current situation. Jenna dances like a beast, ALONE.Note: This is a special 1 hour episode.
Season 4 (2014)
On August 5, 2013, Awkward was renewed for a fourth season. Chris Alberghini and Mike Chessler will replace Lauren Iungerich as showrunners. The season was initially given a 10 episode order but on November 19, 2013, it was reported that MTV ordered an additional 10 episodes bringing the total episodes of season 4 to 20. Season four premiered with a special one hour episode on April 15, 2014. The second half of the season will air from September 23, 2014.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|45||1||"No Woman Is an Island"||Peter Lauer||Mike Chessler & Chris Alberghini||April 15, 2014||1.63|
Jenna is caught masturbating by her parents and it isn't long until the news spreads. As senior year begins, Tamara takes her role as being student president seriously, which leads to a rocky relationship with Jake. Jenna finds out that Matty is no longer with Bailey and that he has been single all summer. Ming moved away to Vermont, but Jenna and Tamara are not slow in finding a new friend. Jenna and Matty hook up.Note: This is a special 1 hour episode.
|46||2||"Listen to This"||Ashley Rickards||Christy Stratton||April 22, 2014||1.25|
|After hooking up with Matty that one night, Jenna is unsure of their status. Her life is then further complicated when she sustains a dental injury and ends up not being able to talk for twenty-four hours while she's desperately waiting for some answers from Matty. After Jenna suggests that Tamara has lost interest in Jake, she convinces herself that she's still in love with him nonetheless. In a turn of events, Jake ends up dumping Tamara for being too controlling. Meanwhile, Sadie and Lissa work out their friendship issues. At the end, Matty reveals that he found out he was adopted and that was why he was shutting Jenna out, right after she berates him for not paying attention to her.|
|47||3||"Touched by an Angel"||Jay Karas||Jenna Lamia||April 29, 2014||1.02|
|Jenna and Matty become official friends with benefits, much to Jenna's disdain, as she wants them to get back into a real relationship. She also commits herself to the school's peer guidance program as a mean of buffing up her college applications. She is assigned to a troubled freshman named Angel. Meanwhile, Tamara becomes annoyed with Jake after his music makes him more popular at school.|
|48||4||"Sophomore Sluts"||Jay Karas||Sarah Walker||May 6, 2014||1.21|
|Jenna is heartbroken that Matty had replaced her in every aspect of his life. Head sophomore-in-charge Mckenzie has her eyes on Matty. While Sadie is still trying to get Lissa to give up cheer captain. Also, Tamara is Catfish-ing Jake.|
|49||5||"Overnight"||Nell Scovell||Leila Cohan-Miccio||May 13, 2014||1.08|
|Jenna and Tamara stay overnight at a college they may be admitted to, but Jenna worries their friendship may not last through college. Sadie and Eva's rivalry is taken to a new level. Jenna meets a college boy who is also interested in writing and sleeps with him. Sadie and Matty become closer as friends. Jake is worried that Autumn (Tamara's catfish profile) is not going to text or call him back.|
|50||6||"Crowning Moments"||Ryan Shiraki||Liz Sczudlo||May 20, 2014||1.04|
|Matty starts getting his beast mode on. Meanwhile, Jake is falling deeper in love with Autumn (Tamara's Catfish profile). Jenna is nervous when Luke decides he wants to come to the mr.PHHS pageant. Sadie makes a bet that she can make any guy the Mr. PHHS with Lisa. The pageant starts great, but after Jake performs, he calls Autumn, while Tamara thinks she is alone, Jake spots her and storms off. Then Matty comes on, starting off with his stand up routine, but gets angry at his mom as she doesn't laugh at any jokes, and reveals to the whole school he is adopted. He then calls Jenna out and humiliates her about about the pregnancy scare that she had. Jenna then takes Matty off stage, where he says "I'm so sorry, Jenna, so sorry" and walks off. She then checks on her family and sees Luke leaving. Tamara and Jake have a confrontation. When it is finished, Jenna walks out, only to see Luke, waiting outside. He says he didn't walk away because he was embarrassed, he walked away to get her something, and surprises her with coffee and flowers. Matty sees this and watches them kissing. He then walks away looking disappointed and sad.|
|51||7||"After Hours"||Ryan Shiraki||Ryan O'Connell||May 27, 2014||1.19|
|Jenna sets Matty up with Eva on a concert date to prove that she truly wants him to move on, though this backfires when she realizes that she still has feelings for him. Jenna, Tamara, Matty, Eva, Sadie, and Austin are all driving to the concert together when Eva suggests that they get fake IDs. Eva also blackmails Sadie with a photo taken the night Sadie comforted Matty about his parents. Tamara runs into a street burglar and shortly after, her car gets towed, forcing them to call Jake, who is still mad at Tamara over the catfishing ordeal. Sadie ends up telling Austin about the photo and he breaks up with her. At the end, Matty and Jake are caught drinking in his car and the two get arrested while Eva watches.|
|52||8||"Prison Breaks"||Ryan Shiraki||Todd Waldman||June 3, 2014||1.20|
|Matty and Jake have to spend a night in prison. Jenna and Tamara head to visit Luke at college and walk in on him with another girl, which turns out to be a misunderstanding. All Jenna wants to do is have fun, though she learns that Luke has to take his studies seriously. Sadie helps Matty and Jake get out and is furious at Eva for her break-up with Austin and for bailing on the boys in the car. When they're released in the morning, Eva is waiting for Matty and they make out in his car. Also, after a failed attempt at hooking up with a college boy, Tamara ends up sleeping with Luke's lesbian best friend.|
|53||9||"My Personal Statement"||Peter Lauer||Allison M. Gibson||June 10, 2014||1.05|
|It's time for everyone to send in their college apps and Jenna and Tamara don't want to face the reality of separating once high school is over. Matty is waiting on his essay from Jenna, but when she finally sends it to him, Eva deletes it, which leads to a confrontation between Jenna and Matty. Meanwhile, Val gets a makeover from Lacey to impress a former crush at her high school reunion. Val has also hired Sadie to provide food truck food. Sadie makes Lissa and Jake help run it, although the two, along with the customers, get tired of her antics. After Matty and Eva head into Jenna's room to retrieve his essay, Eva leaves her underwear in Jenna's bed, hoping to fuel her jealousy, however, Jenna calls her bluff.|
|54||10||"Snow Job, Part 1"||Peter Lauer||Mike Chessler & Chris Alberghini||June 17, 2014||1.13|
|The seniors are going on their annual ski trip, and although Eva is subtly provoking Jenna by flaunting her and Matty's relationship, Jenna tries to focus on her own problems rather than worry about other people. While on the bus, Matty informs Sadie that Eva is jealous of their friendship. Subsequently, Sadie attacks Eva and is kicked off the bus, thus not being able to go on the trip. Once the students arrive at the lodge, Jenna is united with Luke, who surprises her by visiting. After a mishap on the mountain, Jenna finds herself alone with Matty. He confronts Jenna for being accusing and hostile towards Eva, and tells her to back off. Meanwhile, Sadie attempts to get revenge on Eva, and when visiting Eva's home, Sadie discovers that Eva is not who she says she is. After visiting her real house, Sadie's finds out that Eva's real identity is a girl by the name of Amber Horne, who lives with her grandmother outside of the school district and is a violent, compulsive liar with an obsession towards Matty and the sabotage of her classmates. After finding this out, Sadie calls Matty, but Eva hides his phone and leads him to another house on the ski mountain, apart from all the classmates. Along the way, Jenna and Eva go through feuds, and Luke gets agitated with Jenna, then eventually leaves the lodge.|
|55||11||"Snow Job, Part 2"||Peter Lauer||Mike Chessler & Chris Alberghini||June 17, 2014||1.22|
|Jenna is then contacted by Sadie, and they both try to find Matty and tell him about the secrets Eva is hiding. They are later tracked down and found in the house, where it is revealed that Eva is pregnant. Jenna and Sadie are not sure of this due to Eva's lies, and Matty stands by Eva by insisting that he cannot leave Eva when she is carrying his baby. Later, Matty, Jenna, and Sadie watch as Eva is busted for breaking into someone else's house, which she originally claimed was hers. Finally, the trip is over, and when they get back home, Jenna decides to call Luke in order to make amends. However, Luke breaks up with her, believing she is not mature enough. Eva takes another pregnancy test in order to assure Matty that she really is with child. Sadie, Jenna, and Matty wait outside the restroom, and Sadie and Jenna are positive that Eva is lying about her pregnancy. However, her test reads positive, and Eva is, indeed, pregnant.|
|56||12||September 23, 2014|
- "Awkward. DVD news: Press Release for Awkward — Season 1". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Awkward — Season 1". Amazon.de. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Awkward: Season 1". ezydvd.com.au. Retrieved August 19, 2012.
- Lambert, David (October 11, 2012). "Awkward. - 'Season 2' Release Date is Now Set for This Coming Tuesday". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Masters, Megan (2013-11-19). "‘Awkward’ Season 4 — 10-Episode Back Order". TVLine. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "'Awkward' gets one hour season premiere". Entertainment Weekly. January 10, 2014. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- Seidman, Robert (July 20, 2011). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom,' 'Tosh.0,' 'Deadliest Catch,' 'White Collar,' 'Covert Affairs,' 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Hawthorne' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 24, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 27, 2011). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom' Still on Top + 'Tosh.0,' 'Deadliest Catch,' 'White Collar,' 'Covert Affairs,' 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Gene Simmons' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 3, 2011). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom' Still on Top; 'White Collar,' 'Covert Affairs' Rise + 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Billy the Exterminator' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 10, 2011). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Teen Mom' on Top but; 'White Collar,' 'Covert Affairs' Rise in Summer Finales + 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Billy the Exterminator' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 17, 2011). "Tuesday Cable : 'Teen Mom' Rises, Wins Again; TNT's Originals Rise; 'Pretty Little Liars' Dips". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 25, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 24, 2011). "Tuesday Cable : 'Teen Mom' Grows, Wins Again; 'Awkward,' 'Pretty Little Liars' Rise & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (August 31, 2011). "Tuesday Cable: 'Teen Mom' Slips, Still Tops; 'Pretty Little Liars' Finale, 'Chopped,' 'Big Sexy' Premieres, 'Awkward' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (September 8, 2011). "Tuesday Cable: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Returns On Top; Plus 'Teen Mom,' 'Awkward,' 'Chopped,' 'Hardcore Pawn', 'Flipping Out' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 10, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (September 14, 2011). "Tuesday Cable: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Drops, Still Tops; Plus 'Teen Mom,' 'Awkward,' 'Chopped,' 'Hardcore Pawn', 'Flipping Out' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (September 21, 2011). "Tuesday Cable: 'Teen Mom' On top of 'Tosh.0' & 'Sons Of Anarchy' + 'Awkward,' 'Chopped,' 'Workaholics' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (September 28, 2011). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Sons Of Anarchy,' 'Teen Mom' & 'Tosh.0' Tangled On Top; + 'Awkward,' 'Chopped,' 'Workaholics' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 29, 2011.
- Bibel, Sara (June 29, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Anger Management' Wins Night, 'Suits', 'Burn Notice', 'Wilfred', 'Awkward', 'Men at Work' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 6, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' Leads, 'Anger Management' Falls + 'Mountain Men', 'Louie,' 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Wilfred' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (July 13, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' Wins Night, 'Suits', 'Anger Management', 'Burn Notice', 'Awkward', 'Wilfred' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (July 20, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Burn Notice' Wins Night, 'Mountain Men', 'Suits', 'Anger Management', 'Sullivan & Son' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 27, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Burn Notice' Wins Night + 'Suits', 'Anger Management', 'Sullivan & Son', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Awkward' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 3, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Burn Notice' Tops 'Suits', + 'Sullivan & Son', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Awkward', 'Project Runway', 'Anger Management' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (August 10, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings:NFL Pre-Season Football wins Night, 'Burn Notice', 'Suits', 'Awkward', 'Anger Management','Project Runway' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 17, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Suits', 'Burn Notice', 'Great White Highway', 'Sullivan & Son', 'Anger Management' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (August 24, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Suits' Finale Wins Night, 'Burn Notice', 'Awkward', 'Project Runway', 'Anger Management', 'Louie' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 31, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: College Football Wins Night + RNC Coverage, 'Project Runway', 'Sullivan & Son', 'Snooki & JWOWW' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 14, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: Thursday Night Football Tops Night, + 'Awkward', 'Sullivan & Son', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Project Runway', 'Impractical Jokers' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (September 21, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: Football, 'Awkward', 'Project Runway', 'Impractical Jokers', 'The Daily Show', 'Braxton Family Values' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- "MTV renews 'Awkward' for supersized third season". EW.com. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- "'Awkward' Season 3 Premiere Date And New Trailer Featuring Anthony Michael Hall (VIDEO)". Huffingtonpost.com. March 18, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Twitter / laurenei: @AmandaBLAZED @MTV Its not". Twitter.com. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Michael Ausiello (June 26, 2013). "‘Awkward’ Season 4 Renewal: Series Creator Lauren Iungerich Quits". TVLine. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: ‘Deadliest Catch’ Wins Night, ‘Tosh.0′, ‘Awkward’, ‘Storage Wars’,'Dance Moms’ & More — Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. April 17, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Tuesday's Cable Ratings: TNT Edges Competition with NBA Playoffs". The Futon Critic. April 24, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Night, NBA Playoffs, 'Deadliest Catch', 'The Game', 'Inside Amy Schumer', 'Dance Moms' & More". TV by the Numbers. May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Ratings — Tuesday's Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Hold Off Originals for TNT". TheFutonCritic.com. May 7, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Ratings — Tuesday's Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Once Again Put TNT on Top". TheFutonCritic.com. May 14, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Win Night, ‘Deadliest Catch’, ‘Bad Girls Club’, ‘The Game’, ‘Inside Amy Schumer’ & More — Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. May 22, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Ratings — Tuesday's Cable Ratings: Pacers/Heat Post Another Big Night for TNT". TheFutonCritic.com. May 28, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Ratings — Tuesday's Cable Ratings: "Deadliest Catch," "Storage Wars" Top Originals". TheFutonCritic.com. June 4, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Tuesday's Cable Ratings: "Pretty Little Liars" Top Charts in Viewers, Demos". The Futon Critic. June 12, 2013.
- "Ratings - Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: CBS Dramas Top Viewers, "Voice" Leads Demos". TheFutonCritic.com. 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Ratings - Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Voice," "NCIS" Continue to Lead the Pack". TheFutonCritic.com. 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Ratings - Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Voice," "NCIS" Top Demos, Viewers". TheFutonCritic.com. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Ratings - Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: No Stopping "The Voice," "NCIS"". TheFutonCritic.com. 2013-11-12. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Wins Night + ‘Tosh.0′, ‘Moonshiners’, ‘The Daily Show’ & More - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 2013-11-20. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Ratings - Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Voice" Tops Demos, "DWTS" Finale Leads Viewers". TheFutonCritic.com. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Wins Night + ‘Tosh.0′, ‘Moonshiners’, ‘The Real Husbands of Hollywood’ & More - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Tuesday Cable Ratings: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Wins Night, ‘After Anarchy’, ‘Moonshiners’, ‘Awkward’, ‘Tosh.0′ & More - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 17, 2013). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Moonshiners' Tops Night + 'The Daily Show', 'The Real Husbands of Hollywood', 'Bad Girls Club' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- "‘Awkward’ Renewed for Season 4 by MTV — Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (April 16, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'The Game' Wins Night, 'Teen Mom Reunion', 'Awkward', 'Fargo', 'Dance Moms' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 23, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Lead Night + 'Deadliest Catch', 'The Game', 'Tosh.0' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Yanan, Travis (April 30, 2014). "Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "The Voice" Tops Demo Race, "NCIS" Leads Total Viewers". The Futon Critic. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 7, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Win Night + 'Deadliest Catch', '19 Kids and Counting', 'Tosh.0' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 14, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Win Night, 'Deadliest Catch', 'Little Couple', 'Fargo', 'True Tori', 'Faking It' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 21, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: NBA Conference Finals Lead Night + 'Deadliest Catch', '19 Kids and Counting', 'Ink Master' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 4, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Leads Night + '19 Kids and Counting', 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'The Little Couple' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 4, 2014.