List of Barbadian Americans
|Lists of Americans|
|By U.S. state|
|By ethnicity or nationality|
This is a list of notable Barbadian Americans, including both original immigrants who obtained American citizenship and their American descendants.
To be included in this list, the person must have a Wikipedia article showing they are Barbadian American or must have references showing they are Barbadian American and are notable.
- Kevin Brown - former spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department
- Shirley Chisholm - Congresswoman
- Adrian Fenty - former Mayor of Washington, District of Columbia
- Charles Gittens - First black United States Secret Service agent
- Eric Holder - Attorney General of the United States
- Sylvia O. Hinds-Radix - New York State Supreme Court Judge
- Thomas Jones- former Civil Court judge and Civil Rights activist in Brooklyn, New York
- Chirlane McCray - A poet, public speech writer, married to New York City Mayor, Bill de Blasio.
- Bret Schundler - former Mayor of Jersey City, NJ
- Lloyd Sealy - First African American NYPD officer to command a police precinct and patrol borough.
- Dennis M. Walcott - Deputy Mayor for Education and Community Development in New York City, New York.
- Frank L. White - Original Chef Face on Cream Of Wheat Box
- Gwen Ifill - American journalist, and television newscaster
- Earl G. Graves Sr - Founder of Black Enterprise Magazine
- Afrika Bambaataa - Musician
- Grandmaster Flash - hip hop music ian and DJ
- Cuba Gooding, Sr. - Singer
- Doug E. Fresh - hip hop musician
- Ryan Leslie - musician; producer
- LL Cool J - musician
- Mr. Lif-hip hop musician
- Lord Burgess - songwriter
- Arturo Tappin - Musician
- Amaiya Jones-Soon To Be Singer
- Damon Dash(Stacey Dash's Cousin) - Co-Founder of Roc-A-Fella Records
- A$AP Rocky - Real Name -Rakim Mayers - Rapper
- Tweet - Real Name - Charlene Keys
- Rihanna - Real Name - Robyn Rihanna Fenty, a Barbadian singer, actress, and fashion designer
- Gwyneth Paltrow
- Redd Pepper
- Lamman Rucker
- Malcolm Jamal Warner - Actor
- Nia Long - Actress/Actor
- Herb Hall - Actor (mother from Barbados) "Clueless" (Principal). Drama teacher at Beverly Hills High School
- Stacey Dash - Actor
- Jada Pinkett Smith - Actress
- Denzil Washington - Actor
- Meagan Good - Actress
- Cuba Gooding, Jr. - Actor
- Omar Gooding - Actor
- Mari Morrow - Actress
- Lamman Rucker - Actor
- Melyssa Ford- Canadian Model/Actress
- Cardinal Warde - Physicist, full professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Arnold Josiah Ford - Rabbi
- Robert Bailey - American football
- Ramon Harewood - American football
- Sam Seale - American football
- Alana Shipp - American/Israeli IFBB professional bodybuilder
- Obadele Thompson - track and field athlete
- Christian Taylor - track and field athlete
- Kevin Weekes - Canadian Hockey Player
- Winston Justice - American Football
- Orlando Jordan - Sports Entertainer WWE & TNA
- Best, Tony (24 September 2010). "NEW YORK NEW YORK: Bajan mayor shown door". Nation Newspaper. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
There is the United States Attorney-General Eric Holder Jr. Next is Dr Vilma Scantlebury, the world’s first black, female organ transplant surgeon. Then there is Gail Brathwaite, the chief operating officer of one of Connecticut’s largest banks. To that list, Bajans can add Adrian Fenty, mayor of the nation’s capital. This energetic son of a Bajan became the city’s youngest mayor in 2006 and people across the capital looked to him to change the fortunes of a municipality which often seemed mired in scandal, mismanagement and corruption. By any measure, he succeeded in changing things. Unfortunately, Fenty, 39, who speaks openly about his Bajan family connections, now has less than three months before he must leave office.
- Isgrò, Francesco (May 2007). "D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty Honored by Italian American Community". Ciao Media Group, LLC. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
By many accounts, the star attraction of the evening was the Mayor’s mother, Jeanette Bianchi Perno Fenty, whose family hails from Monte San Giovanni Campano, a small town located about 90 km southeast of Rome and about 14 km east of Frosinone in the region of Lazio. Her family emigrated to the United States in 1920. Mrs. Fenty and her husband, Phil Fenty (a native of Buffalo, N.Y., whose roots are traced to Barbados and Panama) moved to Washington in 1967.
- "Charles Gittens". The Daily Telegraph. 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- Johnston, David (November 11, 2008). "Eric H. Holder, Jr." (SERIES). The New Team (The New York Times). Retrieved November 19, 2008.
- Best, Tony (November 16, 2008). "Obama's AG may be Bajan". Local News (Barbados: Nation Newspaper). Retrieved November 18, 2008.
- Johnston, David (November 12, 2008). "Eric H. Holder Jr.". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- First Barbadian inducted as New York State Supreme Court Justice, Monday, December 27, 2004, CaribbeanNetNews.com
- Profile Hon. Sylvia O. Hinds-Radix, New York State Unified Court System
- Thomas R. Jones (judge)
- Meet The New Kid On The Fast Track, August 22, 1993, North Jersey Herald & News
- Markowitz, Gerald. "Lloyd George Sealy: An Appreciation". Lloyd Sealy Library. John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
- Springer, Bevan (5 August 2010). "Mayor Bloomberg to host West Indians at Gracie Mansion". Caribbean360. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "Gwen Ifill Biography". Biography. 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Carol Brennan (2008). "Black Biography: Gwen Ifill". Contemporary Black Biography. The Gale Group. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- Afrika Bambaataa: "djhistory Interview"
- Modzelewski, Eve (2000-09-27). "Stage Preview: Acting takes Cuba Gooding Sr. on an inspirational tour". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- Chappell, Kevin (2003-01-01). "L.L. Cool J Turns Up the Heat and Talks About Love, Marriage, and Why He Gave Up 'The Naked Look'". Ebony Magazine (Johnson Publishing) (January): 116–120. Retrieved September 30, 2009.
My grandfather has told me that I was a genius for as long as I can remember. Believe in myself. Believe that I can make it. Believe that I can do anything I put my mind to. My mother told me those things a lot when I was growing up. that's what I've been focused on my whole life". And while it was those pep talks that molded his worth ethic, it was the love his grandparent showed for each other that molded his beliefs about love and romance. "My grandfather was a hardworking man who came to the U.S. from Barbados," LL Cool J says. "He always told me to take care of my family. He took great care of my grandmother. They put each other on the pedestal.
- Staff writer (31 March 2011). "Hollywood celebrity finds family links in Barbados". The Barbados Advocate. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
The Paltrow episode, which forms a part of the television network’s programme entitled “Who Do You Think You Are?” will air this Friday, April 1, at 8:00 p.m. local time, and local and international viewers will witness the Academy Award-winning actress’s visit to the island where she traces the roots of her paternal grandfather.
- NSH (24 February 2012). "Black celebs in Barbados". Barbados Daily Nation. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
Rucker surprised NationNews.com with the information that he is sorry to leave so early (he departs Monday) because he wanted to formalize his dual citizenship — his grandfather is Barbadian Ebenezer Ray from St Michael.
- "DallasBlack.com: Interview: Meagan Good". DallasBlack.com. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- Kam Williams (2009-01-20). "Meagan Good: The Unborn Interview". KamWilliams.com. Retrieved 2009-06-30.
- "Science & Engineering Faculty Directory: Cardinal Warde". Retrieved 2015-01-14.