List of Batman creators
Although Bob Kane achieved renown for creating the fictional superhero Batman, he and others have acknowledged the contributions of Bill Finger for fleshing the character out, writing many of his early stories, and creating the character's origin. Many other comic book creators (writers, artists, and sometimes editors who contributed important ideas or altered how the character would be presented) have contributed to the character's history since Batman's introduction in Detective Comics #27 in 1939. This list identifies some who made notable contributions with enduring impact.
Creators of Batman
- Bob Kane — concept, creator & artist. Co-created several secondary characters including the first Robin (Dick Grayson), butler Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth, James Worthington Gordon, The Joker, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot/The Penguin, Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Mr. Freeze (as Mr. Zero), Dr. Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow, Basil Karlo/Clayface, Dr. Jervis Tetch/The Mad Hatter, Dr. Hugo Strange, The Cavalier, The Monk, Sal Maroni, Tony Zucco, Joe Chill, Floyd Lawton/Deadshot, photographer Vicki Vale, Bette Kane, Bat-Mite, Martha Wayne & Dr. Thomas Wayne.
- Bill Finger — co-creator & developer (uncredited), also a writer. Also Co-created several secondary characters including the first Robin (Dick Grayson), butler Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth, James Worthington Gordon, The Joker, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Edward Nigma/The Riddler, Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot/The Penguin, Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Dr. Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow, Julian Gregory Day/Calendar Man, Basil Karlo/Clayface, Matt Hagen/Clayface, Dr. Jervis Tetch/The Mad Hatter, Dr. Hugo Strange, Cameron van Cleer/Killer Moth, Professor Achilles Milo, Sal Maroni, Tony Zucco, Lew Moxon, photographer Vicky Vale, Ace the Bat-Hound, Bat-Mite, Mary Elizabeth "Bette" Kane/Bat-Girl, Martha Wayne & Dr. Thomas Wayne.
|Notable Stories/Titles||Notable Characters Co-Created By||Notes|
Also co-created the majority of the Police Officers and Detectives featured in Gotham Central.
|Whilst not writing comics till 2006, he did write for other Batman mediums before that time see below.|
Also co-created Nightwing's new home of Blüdhaven as well as some of his rogues gallery.
Is currently the only ongoing female/non-heterosexual Batman writer.
He re-established Batman's origin during Crisis on Infinite Earths. He was also an artist on The Dark Knight Returns and Strikes Again.
As well as beging a long-term writer, he was also an editor of the Batman titles, and is credited with 'rebooting' the Batman character.
|David Vern Reed
Was also Editor-in-Chief of DC Comics during Crisis on Infinite Earths.
||Worked as an uncredited "Ghost" writer durring the Golden-Silver and Bronze Age.|
- Neal Adams — known for drawing the definitive 1970s visual interpretation that returned Batman to his gothic roots. Also co-created the characters of Dr. Kirk Langstrom/Man-Bat and Francine Langstrom/She-Bat.
- Jim Aparo — drew the titles of The Brave and the Bold and A Death in the Family.
- Norm Breyfogle — artist and co-creator of Lonnie Machin/Anarky, Victor Zsasz and Arnold Wesker/The Ventriloquist/Scarface.
- Brian Bolland — artist on The Killing Joke and many other covers.
- Dick Giordano — long-term artist/inker (particularly over Neal Adams' art), then editor of the Batman titles. Co-creator of the characters Talia Al Ghul and Dr. Leslie Thompkins.
- Carmine Infantino - penciller and primary artist of the 1964 "New Look" Batman and co-creator of Barbara Gordon/Batgirl.
- Kelley Jones - artist best known for his runs on Batman with writer Doug Moench.
- David Mazzucchelli - Drew the seminal Batman: Year One. co-creator of Commissioner Gillian B. Loeb, Detective Arnold John Flass and Carmine "The Roman" Falcone among other Year One characters.
- Tom Mandrake - the co-creator of Roman Sionis/Black Mask.
- Dave McKean — Drew Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.
- Sheldon Moldoff — one of Bob Kane's primary "ghost artists". He co-created the Batman supervillains Dr. Pamela Lillian Isley/Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze (as Mr Zero), Matt Hagen/Clayface, and Bat-Mite, as well as the original heroes Bette Kane/Bat-Girl and Ace the Bat Hound.
- Graham Nolan - 1 of the 3 co-creators of the villain Bane.
- Frank Robbins - co-creator of Dr. Kirk Langstrom/Man-Bat and Francine Langstrom/She-Bat.
- Jerry Robinson — early ghost artist for Bob Kane; co-creator of the first Robin Dick Grayson, Bruce Wayne's Butler Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth and villain The Joker.
- Marshall Rogers — artist on the title Batman: Strange Apparitions.
- Tim Sale — artist, co-creator of the Long Halloween (and other) miniseries with Jeph Loeb.
- Walter Simonson - artist, co-creator of gangster Rupert Thorne with Steve Englehart.
- Dick Sprang — co-creator of Edward Nygma/The Riddler and Cameron van Cleer/Killer Moth.
- Curt Swan - drew many late 1950s and early 1960s Batman covers (although best known for Superman work).
Other notable contributors
|Name||Title||Tenure||Notable titles||Characters Co-Created By||Notes|
|Tim Burton||Movie Director||
||Pushed Batman into the public eye by making him Dark outside of the comic book media.|
|Paul Dini||Television (Animation)
& Video Game Writer
|William Dozier||TV Producer||1966-1968||Batman 1966 TV series||Created the Batman 1966 TV series.|
|Christopher Nolan||Movie Director||
||Rebooted the Batman movie franchise into a more realistic setting.|
|Jack Schiff||Comic Book Editor|
|Julius Schwartz||Comic Book Editor||1964-1979||None||* Barbara Gordon/Batgirl|
|Lorenzo Semple Jr.||TV Writer||1966-1968||Batman 1966 TV series||Developed look and wrote most episodes of the Batman 1966 TV series.|
|Bruce W. Timm||Animator & Producer||
Created the character sheets for Batman: The Animated Series.