List of Best in Show winners of Crufts
The title Best in Show is awarded annually to the dog chosen as winner of the Crufts dog show, according to conformation show rules. This title was first awarded in 1928, the initial winner being Primeley Sceptre, a fawn Greyhound. Previously, Crufts had used the title "Best Champion", sponsored by the Illustrated Kennel News, which was awarded from 1905 to 1914. The first winner of Best Champion was Ch. The Sable Mite, a Pomeranian. According to Crufts: The Official History the first winner of that award was the first dog to be considered the "best" at a Crufts show, although it only lists winners between 1906 and 1912.
When Best Champion was introduced at Crufts in 1905, it was seen by Charles Cruft as an extension of the other titles already available at the show. The class was one of several classes reserved for Crufts subscribers at the cost of a guinea per year. Because of the restriction in entry, there were years when the winner of Best Champion was defeated in other classes which were not restricted to subscribers. Crufts was not the first dog show in the UK to introduce this type of title, the first event to do so was at the Cambridge Canine Society Show in 1900.
The change to Best in Show was considered by the press to be of little significance and was not promoted by Charles Cruft, and did not require a dog to have won its Best of Breed class until 1936. It did however remove restrictions on entry, which remained until the mid-1960s when entry to Crufts was restricted to dogs who had already became a champion by gaining championship points at other dog shows.
The most successful breed in the modern era since Best in Show was introduced has been the English Cocker Spaniel. Of the breed's seven show titles, all but one of them were owned and bred by Herbert Summers Lloyd (known predominantly as H. S. Lloyd) from the "of Ware" kennel. Only four dogs have won Best in Show on more than one occasion, and on three of these occasions they were English Cocker Spaniels owned by Lloyd. The fourth occasion was a Labrador Retriever named Bramshaw Bob, owned by Countess Lorna Howe who is the second most successful breeder in the show's history as she also won Best in Show once more with another Labrador in 1937, Ch. Cheveralla Ben of Banchory. Although no dog has won Crufts more than once since H. S. Lloyd's Tracey Witch of Ware in 1950, owner Jackie Lorimer won the title in 1993 with Irish Setter Sh Ch. Danaway Debonair and again with the dog's son, Sh Ch. Caspians Intrepid in 1999.
1905 to 1914
|Best Champion at Cruft's|
Ch. The Sable Mite, the first dog to win Best Champion at Cruft's in 1905.
First awarded in 1905, it was listed as the 51st and last out of the members-only trophies on its introduction in the show schedule. The description of the award read, "AN ANTIQUE SILVER CUP, value FIVE GUINEAS, offered by the Proprietors of the "ILLUSTRATED KENNEL NEWS," for the best Champion of any breed in the Show. To be won outright."
|1905||Ch.||The Sable Mite||Pomeranian||Mrs Vale Nicholas|||
|1906||Ch.||Wishaw Leader||Scotch Collie[A]||Mr R A Tait|||
|1907||Ch.||The Sable Mite||Pomeranian||Mrs Vale Nicholas|||
|1908||Ch.||Shelton Viking||Newfoundland||Mrs Vale Nicholas|||
|1909||Ch.||Clareholm Dora||Field Spaniel||Mrs E. Rouse|||
|1910||Ch.||Broadwater Banker||Greyhound||Mrs E. Chapman|||
|1911||Ch.||Collarbone of Notts||Wire Fox Terrier||Mr A.E.G. Way|||
|1912||Ch.||The Pride of Sussex||St Bernard||Mr H Stocken & Miss Samuel|||
|1913||Ch.||Choo-tai of Egham||Pekingese||Miss V. Ashton Cross|||
|1914||Ch.||St. Blaise||Greyhound||Miss D. Beadon|||
1928 to present
|Best in Show at Cruft's|
Ch. Soletrader Peek A Boo, winner of Crufts 2013
|Currently held by||Ch/Am Ch. Afterglow Maverick Sabre (Standard Poodle)|
Best in Show
Introduced in 1928, the prize was first described as "STERLING SILVER GOLD GILT 10 inch REPOUSSE ROSE BOWL. Decorated in flowers on circular base, for the best Dog in the Show. (OPEN TO ALL)".
|1928||–||Primeley Sceptre||Greyhound||Hound||Mr Herbert Whitley|||
|1929||–||Heather Necessity||Scottish Terrier||Terrier||Mr Robert Chapman|||
|1930||–||Luckystar of Ware||English Cocker Spaniel||Gundog||Mr H. S. Lloyd|||
|1931||–||Luckystar of Ware||English Cocker Spaniel||Gundog||Mr H. S. Lloyd|||
|1932||–||Bramshaw Bob||Labrador Retriever||Gundog||Countess Lorna Howe|||
|1933||–||Bramshaw Bob||Labrador Retriever||Gundog||Countess Lorna Howe|||
|1934||–||Southball Moonstone||Greyhound||Hound||B Harland-Worden|||
|1935||–||Pennine Prima Donna||Pointer||Gundog||Mr Arthur Eggleston|||
|1936||Ch.||Choonam Hung Kwong||Chow Chow||Utility||Mrs. Violet Mannooch|||
|1937||Ch.||Cheveralla Ben of Banchory||Labrador Retriever||Gundog||Countess Lorna Howe|||
|1938||–||Exquisite Model of Ware||English Cocker Spaniel||Gundog||Mr H. S. Lloyd|||
|1939||–||Exquisite Model of Ware||English Cocker Spaniel||Gundog||Mr H. S. Lloyd|||
|1940||Competition not held due to World War II.[C]|||
|1941||Competition not held due to World War II.|||
|1942||Competition not held due to World War II.|||
|1943||Competition not held due to World War II.|||
|1944||Competition not held due to World War II.|||
|1945||Competition not held due to World War II.|||
|1946||Competition not held due to World War II.|||
|1947||Competition not held due to World War II.|||
|1948||–||Tracey Witch of Ware||English Cocker Spaniel||Gundog||Mr H. S. Lloyd|||
|1949||Competition not held.[D]|||
|1950||–||Tracey Witch of Ware||English Cocker Spaniel||Gundog||Mr H. S. Lloyd|||
|1951||–||Twynstar Dyma-Fi||Welsh Terrier||Terrier||Capt. & Mrs I Morlais Thomas|||
|1952||Ch.||Noways Chuckles||Bulldog||Utility||Mr John T. Bernard|||
|1953||Ch.||Elch Elder of Ouborough||Great Dane||Working||Mr Bill G. Siggers|||
|1954||Competition not held.[E]|||
|1955||Ch.||Tzigane Affri of Nashend||Poodle (Standard)||Utility||Mrs. April Proctor|||
|1956||–||Treetops Golden Falcon||Greyhound||Hound||Mr. Judy de Cassembroot and Miss Bobbie Greenish|||
|1957||Ch.||Volkrijk of Vorden||Keeshond||Utility||Mrs. Rene Tucker|||
|1958||Ch.||Chiming Bells||Pointer||Gundog||Mrs. Bill Parkinson|||
|1959||Ch.||Sandstorm Saracen||Welsh Terrier||Terrier||Mrs. D M Leach and Mrs. Margaret Thomas|||
|1960||–||Sulhamstead Merman||Irish Wolfhound||Hound||Florence Nagle and Marion Clark|||
|1961||Ch.||Riverina Tweedsbairn||Airedale Terrier||Terrier||Mr Pat McCaughey and Mr Mac Shutch|||
|1962||Ch.||Crackwyn Cockspur||Wire Fox Terrier||Terrier||Mr. Harry L Gill|||
|1963||–||Rogerholm Recruit||Lakeland Terrier||Terrier||Mr. Bill Rogers|||
|1964||Sh Ch.[F]||Silbury Soames of Madavale||English Setter||Gundog||Mrs. Ada Williams|||
|1965||Ch.||Fenton of Kentwood||German Shepherd Dog||Pastoral||Sonnica H Godden|||
|1966||–||Oakington Puckshill Amber Sunblush||Poodle (Toy)||Utility||Mrs. Clare E Perry|||
|1967||Ch.||Stingray of Derryabah||Lakeland Terrier||Terrier||Mr. Wilf and Mrs. Betty Postlewaite|||
|1968||Ch.||Fanhill Faune||Dalmatian||Utility||Mrs. Jean Woodyatt|||
|1969||Ch.||Hendrawen's Nibelung of Charavigne||German Shepherd Dog||Pastoral||Mr Edwin and Mrs Shirley White|||
|1970||–||Bergerie Knur||Pyrenean Mountain Dog||Working||Mr Fred and Mrs Constance Prince|||
|1971||Ch.||Ramacon Swashbuckler||German Shepherd Dog||Pastoral||Prince Ahmed Husain|||
|1972||Ch.||Abraxas Audacity||English Bull Terrier||Terrier||Violet Drummond-Dick|||
|1973||–||Alansmere Aquarius||Cavalier King Charles Spaniel||Toy||Mr Alan Hall and Mr John Evans|||
|1974||Ch.||Burtonswood Bossy Boots||St. Bernard||Working||Marjorie Hindes|||
|1975||Ch.||Brookewire Brandy of Layven||Wire Fox Terrier||Terrier||Mr Giuseppe Benelli and Mr Paolo Dondini|||
|1976||Ch.||Dianthus Buttons||West Highland White Terrier||Terrier||Mrs Kath Newstead & Mrs Dorothy Taylor|||
|1977||Sh Ch.[F]||Bournehouse Dancing Master||English Setter||Gundog||Mr Gordon F Williams|||
|1978||Ch.||Harrowhill Huntsman||Wire Fox Terrier||Terrier||Miss Evelyn Howles|||
|1979||Eng Am Ch.||Callaghan of Leander||Kerry Blue Terrier||Terrier||Wendy Streatfield|||
|1980||Ch.||Shargleam Blackcap||Retriever (Flat Coated)||Gundog||Pat Chapman|||
|1981||Ch.||Astley Portia of Rua||Irish Setter||Gundog||Colette and Mary Tuite|||
|1982||Ch.||Grayco Hazelnut||Poodle (Toy)||Utility||Mrs Lesley A Howard|||
|1983||Ch.||Montravia Kaskarak Hitari||Afghan Hound||Hound||Pauline Gibbs|||
|1984||Ch.||Saxonsprings Hackensack||Lhasa Apso||Utility||Jean Blyth|||
|1985||Ch.||Montravia Tommy-Gun||Poodle (Standard)||Utility||Mrs Marita Gibbs|||
|1986||Ch.||Ginger Xmas Carol||Airedale Terrier||Terrier||Miss Alessendra Sommi-Livraghi|||
|1987||Ch.||Viscount Grant||Afghan Hound||Hound||Mr Chris and Mrs Julie Amoo|||
|1988||Sh Ch.[F]||Starlite Express at Valsett||English Setter||Gundog||Mr Joe W and Mrs Val Watkin|||
|1989||Ch.||Potterdale Classic of Moonhill||Bearded Collie||Pastoral||Brenda White|||
|1990||Ch.||Olac Moon Pilot||West Highland White Terrier||Terrier||Mr Derek Tattersall|||
|1991||Sh Ch.[F]||Raycrofts Socialite||Clumber Spaniel||Gundog||Mr Ralph Dunne|||
|1992||Ch.||Pencloe Dutch Gold||Whippet||Hound||Morag Bolton-Lockhart|||
|1993||Sh Ch.[F]||Danaway Debonair||Irish Setter||Gundog||Jackie Lorrimer|||
|1994||Ch.||Purston Hit and Miss From Brocolitia||Welsh Terrier||Terrier||Mrs A. Maughan|||
|1995||Sh Ch.||Starchelle Chicago Bear||Irish Setter||Gundog||Mrs Rachel Shaw-Rainey and Mr Tony Rainey|||
|1996||Sh Ch.[F]||Canigou Cambrai||English Cocker Spaniel||Gundog||Tricia Bentley|||
|1997||Ch.||Ozmilion Mystification||Yorkshire Terrier||Toy||Osman Sameja|||
|1998||Ch.||Saredon Forever Young||Welsh Terrier||Terrier||Judith Averis|||
|1999||Sh Ch.[F]||Caspians Intrepid||Irish Setter||Gundog||Jackie Lorimer|||
|2000||Ch.||Torums Scarf Michael||Kerry Blue Terrier||Terrier||Mr Ron Ramsay|||
|2001||Ch.||Jethard Cidevant||Basenji||Hound||Mr Paul Singleton|||
|2002||Nord Ch.[G]||Topscore Contradiction||Poodle (Standard)||Utility||Mr S and Mrs K Glenna|||
|2003||Ch.||Yakee A Dangerous Liaison||Pekingese||Toy||Mr Easdon and Mr Martin|||
|2004||Ch.||Cobyco Call the Tune||Whippet||Hound||Mrs L Yacoby-Wright|||
|2005||Am Ch/Ch.||Cracknor Cause Celebre||Norfolk Terrier||Terrier||Elizabeth Matell, Pam Beale
and Stephanie Ingram
|2006||Am Ch.||Caitland Isle Take a Chance||Australian Shepherd||Pastoral||Nancy Resetar|||
|2007||Ch/Am Ch.||Araki Fabulous Willy||Tibetan Terrier||Utility||Mr John Shaw and Mr Neil Smith|||
|2008||Ch.||Jafrak Philippe Olivier||Giant Schnauzer||Working||Mr and Mrs Cullen|||
|2009||Ch.||Efbe's Hidalgo At Goodspice||Sealyham Terrier||Terrier||Marjorie Good|||
|2010||Sh Ch/Aust Ch.[F][H]||Hungargunn Bear It'n Mind||Hungarian Vizsla||Gundog||Mrs N and Mrs K Craggs and Armstrong|||
|2011||Sh Ch.[F]||Vbos The Kentuckian||Retriever (Flat-Coated)||Gundog||Jim Irvine|||
|2012||Ch.||Zentarr Elizabeth||Lhasa Apso||Utility||Margaret Anderson|||
|2013||Ch.||Soletrader Peek A Boo||Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen||Hound||Sara Robertson and Wendy Doherty|||
|2014||Ch/Am Ch.||Afterglow Maverick Sabre||Poodle (Standard)||Utility||Jason Lynn, John Stone and Sandra Stone|||
Most successful breeds
As of 2014
Most successful groups
As of 2014
|Number of wins||Groups|
- A ^ Ch. Wishaw Leader was registered as a Scotch Collie, a breed now split into two breeds, Smooth Collie and Rough Collie.
- B ^ Not held as the venue was requisitioned by the British Army for use as a warehouse for military equipment during World War I.
- C ^ Not held due to World War II and the change of ownership of the show from the family of Charles Cruft to The Kennel Club.
- D ^ The date of the event was moved from October to February, causing the event to skip a year.
- E ^ The show was canceled due to a strike by electricians.
- F '^'^'^'^'^'^'^'^ The abbreviation Sh Ch stands for Show Champion, a title awarded to gundogs and Border Collies for winning three Challenge Certificates under three different judges with at least one of those Certificates being awarded when the dog in question is more than twelve months old.
- G ^ The abbreviation Nord Ch. stands for Nordic Champion, which is awarded to a dog with a championship title from three different Nordic countries.
- H ^ The abbreviation Aust Ch. stands for Australian Champion.
- Dogworld: Digital Crufts Edition (2010): p. 66
- "Catalogue: Cruft's 1905" (PDF). Cruft's. The Kennel Club. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "Catalogue: Cruft's 1914" (PDF). Cruft's. The Kennel Club. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- Jackson (1990): p. 194
- Jackson (1990): p. 195
- Jackson (1990): p. 90
- Jackson (1990): p. 91
- Bengton (2008): p. 216
- Jackson (1990): p. 108
- Bengton (2008): p. 66
- "Mr. Herbert Summers Lloyd M.B.E.". The Cocker Spaniel Club of Ireland. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- Jackson (1990): p. 112
- Jackson (1990): p. 117
- "Top Dog" (PDF). The Children's Newspaper (LookandLearn.com). 4 March 1950. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- "Challenge Certificate Record Holders". Dogworld. 4 June 2008. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- "Schedule. Cruft's 1905" (PDF). Cruft's. The Kennel Club. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- Leighton, Robert (1910). Dogs and All About Them. London, Toronto, New York and Melbourne: Cassell and Company. p. 59.
- Jackson (1990): p. 192
- Jackson (1990): p. 193
- Smith (1909): p. 101
- "Catalogue: Cruft's 1909" (PDF). Cruft's. The Kennel Club. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- Smith (1909): p. 81
- "Catalogue: Cruft's 1910" (PDF). Cruft's. The Kennel Club. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "History". Wire Fox Terrier Association. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- "Cruft's Dog Show: Queen Alexandra's Exhibit". The Times. 13 February 1913. p. 13.
- "Catalogue: Cruft's 1913" (PDF). Cruft's. The Kennel Club. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Schedule: Cruft's 1928" (PDF). Cruft's. The Kennel Club. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- Jackson (1990): p. 110
- Jackson (1990): p. 197
- Jackson (1990): p. 198
- Jackson (1990): p. 113
- Jackson (1990): p. 114
- "Crufts Dog Show: Countess Howe Wins Trophy". The Glasgow Herald. 11 February 1937. Retrieved 20 March 2010.
- Jackson (1990): p. 119
- Jackson (1990): p. 199
- Dogworld: Digital Crufts Edition (2010): p. 80
- Jackson (1990): p. 200
- Jackson (1990): p. 201
- Jackson (1990): p. 202
- Jackson (1990): p. 203
- Jackson (1990): p. 204
- Jackson (1990): p. 205
- Dogworld: Digital Crufts Edition (2010): p. 84
- Coile, D. Caroline (23 August 2008). Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Complete Pet Owner's Manual. Barron's Educational Series. p. 10. ISBN 978-0-7641-3771-6.
- Jackson (1990): p. 206
- Jackson (1990): p. 207
- Jackson (1990): p. 208
- Dogworld: Digital Crufts Edition (2010): p. 87
- Jackson (1990): p. 209
- Jackson (1990): p. 210
- Jackson (1990): p. 211
- Jackson (1990): p. 212
- "Clumber Spaniel: Breed description". Dogworld. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- Coile, D. Caroline; Earl-Bridges, Michele (26 May 2000). Whippets: Everything about Purchase, Care, Nutrition, Behavior, Training, and Exercising. Complete Pet Owner's Manual. Barron's Educational Series. p. 46. ISBN 978-0-7641-0312-4.
- Dogworld: Digital Crufts Edition (2010): p. 89
- "Crufts BIS winner Sh Ch Canigou Cambrai dies". Dogworld. 19 June 2008. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- Coile, D. Caroline (1 November 2003). The Yorkshire Terrier Handbook. Barron's Pet Handbooks. Barron's Educational Series. p. 112.
- "Champion dog leads the way". BBC News. 8 July 1999. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Terrier crowned at Crufts". BBC News. 12 March 2000. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "'Silent' dog wins Crufts title". BBC News. 28 May 2001. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Norwegian poodle wins Crufts". BBC News. 10 March 2002. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Crufts 2003 Results". The Kennel Club. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Crufts 2004 Results". The Kennel Club. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "'Coco' U.S.A.". Norfolk Terrier Club. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Ch. Caitland Isle Take A Chance". Dog News.com. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Crufts Best in Show 2008". BBC News. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Crufts: Terrier called Charmin wins best in show". Daily Telegraph. 8 March 2009. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "Sealyham terrier Charmin wins Britain's Crufts dog show". Los Angeles Times. 9 March 2009. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- "DFS Crufts 2010 Results". DFS Crufts. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- "Retriever Jet top dog at Crufts". South Wales Guardian. 13 March 2011.
- Holmes, Rachel (11 March 2012). "Crufts 2012: Best in Show – live blog". The Guardian (Guardian Media Group). Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- "Crufts 2013 Results". The Kennel Club. 10 March 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- "Crufts' best in show won by poodle named Ricky". BBC News. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Jackson (1990): p. 100
- Pinch, Emma (7 March 2003). "Centenary Crufts show underway". Birmingham Post (icBirmingham.co.uk). Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- "History of Crufts". Crufts. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "Regulations for Entries in the Stud Book, Champions and Warrants" (PDF). The Kennel Club. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Smith, A. Croxton (1909). Everyman's Book of the Dog. London: Hodder and Staunton.
- Jackson, Frank (1990). Crufts: The Official History. London: Pelham Books. ISBN 0-7207-1889-9.
- Bengton, Bo (July 2008). Best in Show. Freehold, New Jersey: Kennel Club Books. ISBN 978-1-933958-17-0.
- "Digital Crufts Edition". Dogworld. 2010.