List of Bored to Death episodes
The following is a list of episodes for the American comedy television series Bored to Death, created by Jonathan Ames. Airing on HBO, the first season ran from September 20, to November 8, 2009. The second season ran from September 26, to November 14, 2010 and the third season ran from October 10, to November 28, 2011.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||8||September 20, 2009||November 8, 2009|
|2||8||September 26, 2010||November 14, 2010|
|3||8||October 10, 2011||November 28, 2011|
Season 1 (2009)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||1||"Stockholm Syndrome"||Alan Taylor||Jonathan Ames||September 20, 2009|
|Jonathan Ames (Jason Schwartzman), a thirty-year old writer living in Brooklyn casually smokes marijuana. On top of that, his girlfriend is going to break up with him. To stimulate his imagination, he publishes an ad on Craigslist claiming that he is an unlicensed private investigator.|
|2||2||"The Alanon Case"||Alan Taylor||Jonathan Ames||September 27, 2009|
|During a fruitless attempt to reconquer Suzanne, Jonathan receives a phone call: a woman named Jennifer (Kristen Wiig) wants him to shadow her boyfriend Gary (Peter Hermann) to determine his fidelity.|
|3||3||"The Case of the Missing Screenplay"||Michael Lehmann||Jonathan Ames||October 4, 2009|
|Jonathan has the opportunity to work on a scenario with the filmmaker Jim Jarmusch (who appears as himself) but it seems damaged when he forgets the script in the office of a therapist after an evening adventure with the therapist's daughter (Vanessa Ray). Guest stars: Oliver Platt, Laila Robins, Jessica Blank|
|4||4||"The Case of the Stolen Skateboard"||Tucker Gates||Jonathan Ames||October 11, 2009|
|Jonathan tries to mix work and pleasure and allows himself to be seduced by a customer whose son's favorite skateboard was stolen... Guest star : Parker Posey|
|5||5||"The Case of the Lonely White Dove"||Paul Feig||Jonathan Ames & Donick Cary||October 18, 2009|
|Jonathan agrees to search for the love of a Russian parolee in Brighton Beach, where Suzanne often noted she wanted to visit. Jonathan invites her out and is joined by Ray and Leah, who continue to experience marital/intimacy troubles. George is advised by his therapist to experiment with his sexuality to help him "find his feminine side," which might restore the waning female readership of the magazine.|
|6||6||"The Case of the Beautiful Blackmailer"||Adam Bernstein||Jonathan Ames & Martin Gero||October 25, 2009|
|Jonathan is hired to track down a gorgeous Craigslist scammer who videotapes, then blackmails, married men. George, tired of high society's social obligations, insists on accompanying him and Ray on the case.|
|7||7||"The Case of the Stolen Sperm"||Nicole Holofcener||Jonathan Ames & Donick Cary||November 1, 2009|
|Concerned over the sudden disappearance of the two lesbians who have been buying his sperm, Ray enlists Jonathan to help him track the couple down. After breaking into their apartment, Jonathan learns the pair has flown the coop—but not without leaving behind a clue that both shocks and intrigues Ray. Meanwhile, George ignores Jonathan's warnings by publishing a disparaging editorial about Richard Antrem (Oliver Platt), sending his publishing rival into a fit of rage at the local watering hole.|
|8||8||"Take a Dive"||Paul Feig||Jonathan Ames & Martin Gero||November 8, 2009|
|Jonathan, Ray, and George prepare to fight the GQ team led by Richard. Jonathan receives phone calls threatening to publicly embarrass George, but "solves that case." George sleeps with Priscilla and she begs him to let Richard win the fight. Jonathan sleeps with Stella. At the match, Ray loses, Jonathan wins, and George lets Richard win.|
Season 2 (2010)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|9||1||"Escape from the Dungeon!"||Alan Taylor||Jonathan Ames||September 26, 2010||1.05|
|Jonathan is hired by a police officer to erase the hard drive of an S&M dungeon computer to prevent potentially embarrassing information from coming out as the officer has received word that the club is about to be raided. Leah breaks it off with Ray. George is asked to cut back his expenses by his new publisher to prevent the magazine from going under. Guest stars: Kristen Johnston, Mary Kay Place, Zoe Kazan|
|10||2||"Make It Quick, Fitzgerald!"||Alan Taylor||Jonathan Ames||October 3, 2010||1.08|
|Jonathan is hired by Richard to find out if his wife is cheating on him. Stella informs Jonathan that she is interested in having an "open" relationship.|
|11||3||"The Gowanus Canal Has Gonorrhea!"||Michael Lehmann||Martin Gero & Jonathan Ames||October 10, 2010||0.86|
|Jonathan is dumped by Stella and then kidnapped; George finds out that he has prostate cancer, then comes to Jonathan's rescue with the help of Ray.|
|12||4||"I've Been Living Like a Demented God!"||Michael Lehmann||Donick Cary & Jonathan Ames||October 17, 2010||0.82|
|Jonathan hunts a valuable item for a professor (in a reference to General Sternwood in Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep); George fails a drug test and has to come up with an alibi; Ray runs into a familiar barfly as he hits the bars to celebrate his newfound prosperity after his "Super Ray" comic book is picked up. Guest stars: Kristen Wiig, Mary Kay Place, F. Murray Abraham|
|13||5||"Forty-Two Down!"||Troy Miller||Tami Sagher & Jonathan Ames||October 24, 2010||1.01|
|A poet whose lofty ambitions are corrupted by his having to work as a limousine driver runs into marital trouble, and Jonathan tries to bring him and his wife back together; Ray meets Kevin Bacon and isn't sure how to proceed. Guest stars: Kevin Bacon, Kristen Wiig, Zoe Kazan|
|14||6||"The Case of the Grievous Clerical Error!"||Tristram Shapeero||Sam Sklaver & Jonathan Ames||October 31, 2010||0.69|
|With Ray's help, Jonathan finds Leah's dog, Little Ray, who has been dognapped; George goes into the hospital for prostate surgery. Special guest star: Olympia Dukakis; Guest stars: Laila Robins, Jessica Hecht, Kate Micucci|
|15||7||"Escape from the Castle!"||Adam Bernstein||Donick Cary & Jonathan Ames||November 7, 2010||1.10|
|To celebrate Ray's birthday, Jonathan, George and Ray visit a spa. While there, Jonathan delivers a letter in the name of love. Jonathan stays after class with a student. Guest star: Zoe Kazan|
|16||8||"Super Ray Is Mortal!"||Adam Bernstein||Martin Gero & Jonathan Ames||November 14, 2010||0.82|
|Ray has a stalker whom he and Jonathan track. At the magazine, George is forced to deal with his positive test for marijuana and a new slant to the magazine imposed by Dallas. Things come to a head at Comic-Con. Guest stars: Zoe Kazan|
Season 3 (2011)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|17||1||"The Blonde in the Woods"||Michael Lehmann||Jonathan Ames||October 10, 2011||0.24|
|After celebrating the release of his new book, Jonathan learns some distressing familial news. George reunites with his daughter Emily and Ray spends time with his biological son Spencer. Meanwhile, Jonathan's latest case leaves him in a precarious position.|
|18||2||"Gumball!"||Michael Lehmann||Martin Gero & Jonathan Ames||October 17, 2011||0.25|
|On the run from the police, Jonathan and Ray turn to Howard (Patton Oswalt) for help with trying to find out who framed Jonathan for murder, while George runs interference for them in his own inimitable, marijuana-induced way.|
|19||3||"The Black Clock of Time"||Michael Lehmann||Jonathan Ames||October 24, 2011||0.30|
|As a guest on 'The New Dick Cavett Show,' Jonathan runs into his nemesis. George is surprised to hear Bernard and Emily's news, and Ray sets off an AMBER Alert.|
|20||4||"We Could Sing a Duet"||Micheal Lehmann||Luke Del Tredici & Jonathan Ames||October 31, 2011||0.19|
|While showing Emily a youthful time, Jonathan discovers a classified ad for a detective (Brett Gelman) impersonating himself. On a night out with Bernard, George learns that Richard Antrem has opened a restaurant aimed at hurting George's restaurant. Ray, in hot water with Leah, finds himself drawn to a lonely woman named Belinda.|
|21||5||"I Keep Taking Baths Like Lady Macbeth"||Tristram Shapeero||Sam Sklaver & Jonathan Ames||November 7, 2011||0.15|
|Jonathan and George try counseling to mend their relationship, but Jonathan thinks he might have better luck by investigating a rival's business practices. Meanwhile, George signs up for singing lessons; and Ray finds himself with an embarrassment of romantic riches.|
|22||6||"Two Large Pearls and a Bar of Gold"||Tristram Shapeero||Mike Schwartz & Jonathan Ames||November 14, 2011||0.25|
|George and Ray tag along when Jonathan is hired by an old college flame (Casey Wilson) and her father (Rene Auberjonois) to guard her family's wedding jewels. Meanwhile, the bursting of Ray's romantic bubble forces him to move in with George.|
|23||7||"Forget the Herring"||Adam Bernstein||Rachel Axler & Jonathan Ames||November 21, 2011||0.18|
|Rose Hiney (Isla Fisher) connects with Jonathan on some new leads. George and Ray attempt to right their unrightable wrongs.|
|24||8||"Nothing I Can't Handle by Running Away"||Adam Bernstein||Jonathan Ames||November 28, 2011||0.23|
|Jonathan attempts to rescue his sperm-bank father (Stacy Keach) from captors and is held captive in turn. Ray and a crew of fans dressed as Super Ray rescue Jonathan.|
- "HBO Comedies 'Bored to Death,' 'Eastbound and Down' Returning Sept. 26". Tvsquad.com. 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- Seidman, Robert (July 28, 2011). "'Real Time with Bill Maher' Renewed; 'Boardwalk Empire' Back Sept 25; 'Hung,' 'How to Make it in America' on October 2". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (September 28, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Falls; ‘Rubicon’ Stays Low + Glades, Mad Men, Kardashians, Dexter & Lots More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (October 5, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Mostly Stable; ‘Rubicon’ Still Tiny; Mad Men, Kardashians, Dexter & Lots More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (October 12, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Plunges; ‘Rubicon’ Up; Mad Men, Kardashians, MLB Playoffs & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (October 19, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: Kardarshians Lead; ‘Mad Men’ Finale Up; ‘Rubicon’ Finale Down; ‘Boardwalk Empire,’ ‘Sonny with a Chance’ & Much More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (October 26, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: Kardashians Finale Way Up; Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Swamp People & Much More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (November 2, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: The Walking Dead Kills; Boardwalk Empire Steady; + Swamp People, Dexter, Ghost Hunters Live & Much More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (November 9, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: The Walking Dead Lives!; Boardwalk Empire Up; Real Housewives, Hannah Montana, Kate Plus 8 & Much More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (November 16, 2010). "Sunday Cable Ratings: The Walking Dead, Sarah Palin (again, still); Boardwalk Empire Drops; Real Housewives, Sonny With a Chance, Kendra & Much More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- "Show Tracker". Los Angeles Times.
- Adalian, Josef (October 11, 2011). "HBO's Enlightened Debuts to a Very Small Audience, Even for HBO". Vulture. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (October 18, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Monday Night Football' Tops; WWE RAW, 'American Chopper,' 'Housewives of Beverly Hills,' 'Bad Girls Club' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (October 25, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Monday Night Football,' WWE RAW, 'American Chopper,' 'Housewives of Beverly Hills,' 'Pawn Stars' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- Gorman, Robert (November 3, 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'South Park,' 'American Horror Story' Lead + 'Psych,' 'Real World,' 'Mythbusters' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved November 5, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (November 8, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: Bears-Eagles, ' WWE RAW, 'Basketball Wives' and 'Housewives of Beverly Hills' Lead Night & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (November 15, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: Packers/ Vikings Leads Night,' 'WWE RAW' Jumps, 'American Chopper,' 'Housewives of Beverly Hills,' 'Love And Hip Hop' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved November 16, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (November 22, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: Pats/Chiefs Down, Still Leads; 'WWE RAW' Settles, 'American Chopper,' 'Housewives of Beverly Hills,' 'Love And Hip Hop' & More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved November 24, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (November 30, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: Giants/Saints + 'Pawn Stars,' 'Love & Hip Hop,' 'Closer,' 'Rizzoli & Isles,' 'WWE RAW' & Much More". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved December 1, 2011.