List of Canadian mobile phone companies
Mobile network operators
This is a list of mobile network operators in Canada from largest to smallest by the number of current subscriptions. As of Q3 2013, there are over 27 million wireless subscriptions in Canada. Approximately 90% of cell phone users subscribe to one of the three largest Canadian telecom companies Rogers Wireless, Bell Mobility, and Telus Mobility.
|Mobile Provider||Brands and Subsidiaries||Availability||Subscriptions|
|Rogers Wireless||Rogers, Fido, Chatr||Nationwide||8,040,000||1,458,000||9,498,000|
|Telus Mobility||Telus, Koodo||Nationwide[note 1]||6,733,000||1,077,000||7,810,000|
|Bell Wireless Affiliates||Bell, Virgin, Solo, Northwestel, Bell Aliant, Télébec, NorthernTel||Nationwide[note 1]||6,683,646||1,121,454||7,805,100|
|WIND Mobile||WIND||Abbotsford, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and most cities in Southern Ontario||N/A||636,827|
|Videotron Mobile||Videotron||Québec and Ottawa||N/A||478,000|
|Public Mobile||Public||Greater Montreal and core Golden Horseshoe||N/A||280,000|
|DAVE Wireless||Mobilicity||Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton||N/A||180,000|
- Bell Mobility and Telus Mobility have a multiple operator core network agreement to provide a common radio network to the customer (distinct from a roaming arrangement, where the radio networks are separate). Bell builds most of its towers in Eastern Canada, while most of Telus' towers are in Western Canada.
In addition, as of October 22, 2013 the following companies expressed their interest in becoming mobile carriers as part of Canada's 2014 700 MHz spectrum auction by becoming provisional bidders: Feenix Wireless Inc, Catalyst Capital Group, Vecima Networks, Novus Wireless, and a numbered Alberta company controlled by Corridor Communications.
|Airtel Wireless||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||Airtel Wireless Ltd.||None|
|Bell Mobility||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Bell Canada Enterprises||Telus Mobility|
|ICE Wireless||Yes||No||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||ICE Wireless||Rogers Wireless|
|Keewaytinook Mobile||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||Keewaytinook Okimakanak's (KO) Kuhkenah Network||Rogers Wireless|
|Lynx Mobility||No||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||Lynx Mobility||Bell Mobility / Telus Mobility|
|Mobilicity||Roaming[note 1]||No||No||Yes||No||Roaming[note 1]||No||Yes||DAVE Wireless||Rogers Wireless|
|MTS Mobility||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||MTS||Rogers Wireless / Sasktel|
|Public Mobile||No||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||No||No||Public Mobile||Bell Mobility / Telus Mobility|
|Rogers Wireless||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Rogers Communications||TBayTel / ICE Wireless|
|SaskTel Mobility||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||SaskTel||Bell Mobility / Telus Mobility / MTS / Rogers Wireless|
|Sogetel Mobilité||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||Sogetel||Bell Mobility|
|TBayTel Mobility||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Thunder Bay Telephone||Rogers Wireless|
|Telus Mobility||No||Yes||Yes[note 2]||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes[note 2]||Yes||Telus Communications||Bell Mobility|
|Videotron Mobile||Roaming[note 1]||No||No||Yes||Planned||Roaming[note 1]||No||Yes||Vidéotron||Rogers Wireless|
|Wind Mobile||Roaming[note 1]||No||No||Yes||Experimental[note 3]||Roaming[note 1]||No||Yes||Globalive||Rogers Wireless
- Mobilicity, Videotron Mobile, and Wind Mobile allow their customers to roam on Rogers Wireless' GSM technology and Personal Communications Service (PCS) frequency network. Roaming is intended to be used when one is outside of the AWS carrier's network coverage.
- Telus Mobility sells Integrated Digital Enhanced Network (iDEN) services using Specialized Mobile Radio (SMR) frequencies. Services are sold under the Mike brand, which is available in Telus retail stores and online.
- Wind Mobile confirmed to be testing basic 3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE) technology on February 3, 2011. The operator has not yet deployed LTE for general public use.
Former mobile networks
|Operator||Ownership||Purchased by||Ceased Operations Year|
|Clearnet||Clearnet Communications||Telus Mobility||2000|
Virtual mobile network operators
- List of mobile network operators of the Americas#Canada
- List of Canadian telephone companies
- List of Canadian electric utilities
- "We're Bigger Than You Think". WIND Mobile. Retrieved 2013-10-23.
- "Telus to buy Public Mobile". CBC News. 2013-10-23. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
- "Coverage Map". Mobilicity. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Wind Mobile to acquire Mobilicity's subscribers, report says". Mobile Syrup. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Q3 2013 Subscriber Stats". CWTA. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Solomon (2013-10-22). "Provisional bidders for 700 MHz spectrum finalized". IT World Canada News. Retrieved 2013-10-23.
- Canadian mobile phone cellular tower infrastructure, on a map
- A comparison of Canadian pay-as-you-go cell phone plans
- GSM Coverage Maps | Canada
-  (Bell and Telus partnership)
-  Primus MVNO uses Rogers' network
-  Talk and Earn uses Rogers' network