List of Carnegie libraries in West Virginia
The following list of Carnegie libraries in West Virginia provides detailed information on United States Carnegie libraries in West Virginia, where 3 public libraries were built from 3 grants (totaling $81,500) awarded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York from 1901 to 1907. In addition, one academic library was built.
|1||Hinton||Hinton||Apr 8, 1907||$12,500||419 Ballengee St.
|2||Huntington||Huntington||Dec 30, 1901||$35,000||900 5th Ave.
||After opening July 27, 1904, this library served the community until 1980, when a new library opened across the street. This building is currently Huntington Junior College.|
|3||Parkersburg||Parkersburg||Dec 29, 1903||$34,000||725 Green St.
||Opened on October 5, 1905, this library closed in 1976 when a new library was built. It is now the largest used bookstore in West Virginia.|
|1||Bethany College||Bethany||Feb 16, 1905||$20,000||Cramblet Hall
||Serving as a library until 1960, this building reopened as Cramblet Hall on June 3, 1961 and has since housed various offices.|
- At various times, Bobinski and Jones disagree on these numbers. In these cases, Jones' numbers have been used due to both a more recent publication date and a more detailed gazetteer of branch libraries, which are often where the discrepancies occur.
- Dawson, Jim. "Parkersburg High School & (Old) Carnegie Library". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Miller, pp. 38–40
- Carney, Brent (2004). Bethany College. Charleston, SC: Arcadia. ISBN 0-7385-1660-0.
- Anderson, Florence (1963). Carnegie Corporation Library Program 1911–1961. New York: Carnegie Corporation. OCLC 1282382.
- Bobinski, George S. (1969). Carnegie Libraries: Their History and Impact on American Public Library Development. Chicago: American Library Association. ISBN 0-8389-0022-4.
- Jones, Theodore (1997). Carnegie Libraries Across America. New York: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0-471-14422-3.
- Miller, Durand R. (1943). Carnegie Grants for Library Buildings, 1890-1917. New York: Carnegie Corporation of New York. OCLC 2603611.
Note: The above references, while all authoritative, are not entirely mutually consistent. Some details of this list may have been drawn from one of the references without support from the others. Reader discretion is advised.