List of Chasing Life episodes
Chasing Life is an American drama series on ABC Family that premiered on June 10, 2014. The series follows 24-year-old April (Italia Ricci), a smart and quick-witted aspiring journalist who is diagnosed with leukemia by her estranged uncle George (Steven Weber). April must deal with the impact of her diagnosis on her career as well as her family and friends - her best friend and confidant Beth (Aisha Dee), widowed mom Sara (Mary Page Keller), rebellious little sister Brenna (Haley Ramm), and her sweet grandmother Emma (Rebecca Schull) - and her budding relationship with her coworker Dominic (Richard Brancatisano). On November 27, 2013, ahead of its premiere, Chasing Life was picked up for a full season, and later an additional episode functioning as a Christmas special. On November 6, 2014, Chasing Life was renewed for a second season. The second season is set to premiere during the Summer of 2015.
As of March 24, 2015[update], a total of 21 episodes have aired.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||21||June 10, 2014||March 23, 2015|
|2||TBA||August 17, 2015||TBA|
Season 1 (2014–15)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||1||"Pilot"||Steve Miner||Teleplay by: Susanna Fogel & Joni Lefkowitz||June 10, 2014||1.34|
|April Carver is a young up-and-coming newspaper reporter, whose life turns upside down after discovering that she has cancer. Along with building her journalism career, she falls for Dominic, a handsome co-worker, dealing with her rebellious younger sister Brenna, and her widowed mother getting back on the dating scene.|
|2||2||"Help Wanted"||Steve Miner||Susanna Fogel & Joni Lefkowitz||June 17, 2014||1.11|
|Despite having cancer, April refuses to let it affect her career and family. April later tells Beth about it, with Beth becoming overly worried about her health. April discovers that her dad may have fathered another daughter, who is close to her age. April is given a supervisor named Raquel (Shi Ne Nielson) to report a story on gubernatorial candidate Bruce Hendrie (Todd Waring), she later ends up running into his son Leo (Scott Michael Foster). Sara wants Brenna to get a job, to be more responsible, after catching her in a lie.|
|3||3||"Blood Cancer Sex Carrots"||Joanna Kerns||Patrick Sean Smith||June 24, 2014||1.11|
|April does a blog piece on Gerald (Sam Anderson), a juice maker who claims that his carrot juice can reduce cancer symptoms. April starts to question whether she should be sexually active with Dominic. Brenna invites Kieran to dinner with the family. Sara learns that the new guy she is dating is also the ex-husband of a new patient.|
|4||4||"I'll Sleep When I'm Dead"||Steve Miner||Josh Senter||July 1, 2014||1.12|
|April discovers that Leo also has cancer, and makes a deal with him to get a good story. April's cancer continues to intensify with her oversleeping. Brenna must do a class project with Greer (Gracie Dzienny), a popular girl at her school, who is a lesbian and realizes they have a lot in common. Sara begins taking tango classes.|
|5||5||"The Family That Lies Together"||Andy Wolk||Linda Burstyn||July 8, 2014||1.21|
|April with Dominic's help begins to investigate her father Thomas' (Tom Irwin) past. Sara confronts April about her secretive behavior. Now knowing that April has cancer, Brenna's mind is plagued with concern for April, and Beth gives Brenna advice about her love triangle between Kieran and Greer.|
|6||6||"Clear Minds, Full Lives, Can't Eat"||Steve Miner||Ann Cherkis||July 15, 2014||1.19|
|April's cancer symptoms causes to lose her appetite. Leo encourages April to live her life more carefree. Now knowing about April's cancer, Sara becomes overprotective of April. Greer invites Brenna to a save the whales party. Brenna starts to feel conflicted about her relationship with Kiernan, due to her close friendship with Greer. Just as Greer was going to tell her something important, Kieran shows up to Greer's party after Ford sends a text to him from Brenna's phone, causing Greer to become jealous.|
|7||7||"Unplanned Parenthood"||Melanie Mayron||Benjamin C. Jones||July 22, 2014||1.13|
|April sees a fertility doctor before decides to start chemotherapy. Dominic is offered a traveling music journalist job that may cause him to be away from April for four months. Brenna starts give in to her romantic feelings for Greer. Sara starts to feel isolated, when her overprotectiveness becomes too much for April.|
|8||8||"Death Becomes Her"||Steve Miner||Jeanne Leitenberg||July 29, 2014||1.08|
|April and Leo help Jackson (Andy Mientus), a fellow cancer patient from their support group, live on what could be his last days of life. On a class field trip to Miami, Brenna along with Greer try to get to know Natalie. Sara spends the day with a group of other parents of cancer patients, and gets to know George a lot more.|
|9||9||"What to Expect When You're Expecting Chemo"||Melanie Mayron||Lisa Melamed||August 5, 2014||1.11|
|April makes the preparations to begin chemotherapy. Leo is admitted to the hospital after having a tumor-related episode on live television. Everyone at The Boston Post finds out about April's condition. Kieran finds out about Brenna and Greer's romantic relationship and has conflicted feelings about it.|
|10||10||"Finding Chemo"||Michael Grossman||Susanna Fogel & Joni Lefkowitz||August 12, 2014||1.30|
|After April starts chemotherapy, she begins to struggle with her new situation. Dominic is back in Boston to support April but later breaks up with her after he sees her with Leo. Brenna gets in trouble at school and Greer's parents won't allow her to see Brenna anymore. George confesses his feelings for Sarah. At the end, April is left wondering whether something happened to Leo after receiving a voicemail from him and seeing his parents in the hospital.|
|11||11||"Locks of Love"||Lee Rose||Susanna Fogel & Joni Lefkowitz||December 9, 2014||1.22|
|April plays Leo's voicemail and is relieved to know that he had decided to go ahead with the surgery to try and remove his brain tumor. Meanwhile, her paternal grandparents (Ed Asner and Marion Ross) are in town, causing friction and awkwardness in the Carver household. Brenna struggles with telling her grandparents about her sexual orientation, while Sara and George don't know where they stand after their kiss. Also, April starts losing her hair and finds comfort with Leo. During his risky surgery the next day, it is shown that Leo has flatlined.|
|12||12||"Next April"||Janice Cooke||Ann Cherkis||January 19, 2015||1.02|
|Four months later, April is officially in remission, and Leo has survived his surgery and has been in a comatose state. Facing her first day back at work, she has to deal with being around Dominic again after their breakup, as well as new challenges caused by Aaron, a young, new, ambitious boss and the side-effects of her chemo. Meanwhile, Sara and Brenna are uncertain about each of their relationships, and an ideal bone marrow donor has yet to be found, so Sara decides to reach out to Natalie and her mother Olivia (Laura Harring).|
|13||13||"Guess Who's Coming to Donate?"||Norman Buckley||Josh Senter||January 26, 2015||0.78|
|Leo fully awakens from his coma and tries pushing April away with him regretting that he went through his surgery. Natalie is discovered to be a half-match for bone marrow for April, but has second thoughts about going through the procedure. Brenna hopes to change Natalie's mind by accepting her invitation to a college football tailgate party. George feels that Sara is purposely being hesitant on telling April and Brenna about their relationship. April tries regain the trust of her new boss Aaron, while Beth and Dominic try to redefine their friendship.|
|14||14||"Cancer Friends with Benefits"||Steve Miner||Linda Burstyn||February 2, 2015||0.78|
|Leo and April try their hands at a relationship while April and Dominic have to awkwardly work the same event together with the pain of their breakup still lingering. Natalie decides to stay in Boston, citing that Florida was "boring" and becomes Beth's new roommate. Meanwhile, George announces that he's leaving for a job opportunity in San Francisco so Sara and the family host a final dinner for him.|
|15||15||"April Just Wants to Have Fun"||Joanna Kerns||Jeanne Leitenberg||February 9, 2015||0.92|
|April is feeling pressured between her previous relationship with Dominic and her friendship with Beth, with both relationships being altered by Natalie. So to compensate, April spends her late night partying. Meanwhile, Brenna is feeling alone at the start of the school year and reunites with Ford, after a meme about her goes around school, causing her to be bullied.|
|16||16||"The Big Leagues"||Patrick Norris||Susanna Fogel & Joni Lefkowitz||February 16, 2015||0.81|
|April gets a chance for a big story with Richie Miranda, a famous baseball player after receiving news that she is still in remission. However, the story will end up giving her a tough moral choice. April and Leo get some good news in their relationship following April's trip to the doctor while Leo is tried of living in the shadow of his family. Meanwhile, Brenna becomes concerned about Greer when she begins acting up at school. Greer and Brenna then reveal things that shock both of them. Also, Sara butts heads with an immigration lawyer she is sharing her office building with.|
|17||17||"Model Behavior"||Steve Miner||Alison Rymer||February 23, 2015||0.81|
|April faces backlash from the Boston public after the release of her article on Richie Miranda's drug use. She is forced to do an on-air interview, which she prepares for with Raquel's help. She also doesn't know what to do about Leo, whom she's reluctant to involve in the Miranda scandal. Beth gets Brenna and Greer to agree to be models for her fashion house's new line, but problems arise on the big night as the girls try to define their relationship. Also, Sara is shocked to find out that Emma is dating, which makes her think about her own love life.|
|18||18||"Rest in Peace"||Melanie Mayron||Linda Burstyn||March 2, 2015||0.73|
|After getting a nose bleed, April is worried that her cancer is back. Sara is worried about Brenna's post-high school life and that Natalie is a bad influence on Brenna. Beth's work schedule leaves her with hardly any time to spend with Graham.|
|19||19||"Life, Actually"||Janice Cooke||Ann Cherkis||March 9, 2015||0.64|
|Leo tells April that he no longer wants to attend cancer support group, wanting to put his cancer behind him. Beth and Graham agree to find an apartment to live in together, however Beth has conflicting feelings about it. With the support of Brenna, Greer finally finds the courage to stand up to her parents. Natalie and Dominic sleep together.|
|20||20||"No News Is Bad News"||Joe Lazarov||Susanna Fogel & Joni Lefkowitz||March 16, 2015||0.69|
|Raquel is promoted to editor-in-chief of The Boston Post, which intensifies competition between April and Danny. Greer's parents are divorcing, with Brenna wanting Greer to move in with the family. Sara cleans out the storage unit that belonged to Thomas, and visits George who is in a medical seminar in Cleveland. April is not happy after learning that Natalie and Dominic slept together.|
|21||21||"One Day"||Wendey Stanzler||Patrick Sean Smith||March 23, 2015||0.93|
|April's cancer relapses, just as The Boston Post is firing numerous employees. Brenna is a bone marrow match for a male student from her school with one leg. Sara and George try to make it back to Boston in time for April to begin her chemotherapy. Leo proposes to April, with her saying yes.|
Season 2 (2015)
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 27, 2013). "ABC Family’s ‘Chasing Life’ Gets Back Order Ahead Of Premiere". Deadline.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 15, 2014). "ABC Family Announces Special Holiday Episodes of 'Melissa & Joey', 'Baby Daddy', 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 6, 2014). "‘Chasing Life’ Renewed For Second Season By ABC Family". Deadline.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "ABC Family Targets “Becomers”, Doubles Original Programming, Sets Development". Deadline. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Iannucci, Rebecca. "TVLine Items: Chasing Life Return Date, Netflix's Between Trailer and More". TVline. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (June 11, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Pretty Little Liars' & 'Deadliest Catch' Win Night, 'Fargo', 'Royal Pains', 'Chasing Life', 'Faking It' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 18, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: World Cup Soccer Leads Night + 'Deadliest Catch', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'The Haves & the Have Nots', 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 2, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: World Cup Coverage Wins Night + 'Deadliest Catch', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'The Haves and the Have Nots' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (June 25, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Wins Night, 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'The Haves and the Have Nots', 'Tyrant' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 25, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 9, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: World Cup Wins Night, 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Finding Carter', 'Perception', 'Tyrant' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 16, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' & 'Pretty Little Liars' Top Night + 'The Haves & The Have Nots', 'Rizzoli & Isles' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (July 23, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch', 'Rizzoli & Isles' & 'Pretty Little Liars' Win Night; 'The Haves & The Have Nots', 'Tyrant' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Chasing Life: Season One Ratings". TV Series Finale. July 30, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 6, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Deadliest Catch' Wins Night, 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Royal Pains', 'Finding Carter' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 13, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Alien Sharks' Top Night + 'Lair of the Mega Shark', 'Rizzoli & Isles', 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (December 10, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Sons of Anarchy' Wins Night, 'Anarchy Afterword', 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Benched', 'Ground Floor' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 21, 2015). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Raw' Wins Night, 'Love & Hip Hop', 'Street Outlaws', 'Vanderpump Rules', 'The Fosters' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- Metcalf, Mitch (January 27, 2015). "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 25 Monday Cable Originals: 1.26.2015 (Updated)". ShowBuzzDaily. Retrieved January 27, 2015.
- "SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 25 Monday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 2.2.2015". showbuzzdaily.com.
- "SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 25 Monday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 2.9.2015". showbuzzdaily.com.
- "SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 25 Monday Cable Originals (& Network Update): 2.16.2015". showbuzzdaily.com.
- "Final Adjusted TV Ratings for Monday 23rd February 2015". SpoilerTV.
- "Final Adjusted TV Ratings for Monday 2nd March 2015". SpoilerTV.
- "Final Adjusted TV Ratings for Monday 9th March 2015". SpoilerTV.
- "Final Adjusted TV Ratings for Monday 16th March 2015". SpoilerTV.
- "Final Adjusted TV Ratings for Monday 23rd March 2015". SpoilerTV.
- jonikat (2 May 2015). "So this is pretty cool. #ChasingLife #LifePartners" (Tweet).