List of Cleveland Gladiators seasons
This is a list of seasons completed by the Cleveland Gladiators. The Gladiators are a professional arena football franchise of the Arena Football League (AFL) based in Cleveland, Ohio. The franchise was originally known as the New Jersey Red Dogs formed as an expansion team in 1997 and based in East Rutherford, New Jersey as a member of the Arena Football League (AFL). Before the 2001 season, the franchise was sold to Jim Ferraro, who changed the team's name to the New Jersey Gladiators.
In 2003, Ferraro moved the team to Las Vegas, Nevada with a few weeks to the start of the season. The league had already devised the schedules; therefore, the Gladiators would play their 2003 season in the Eastern Division of the National Conference, before shifting in 2004 to the American Conference's Western Division. The team went 31–50 in five years in Las Vegas, making the playoffs once. After the 2007 season, the franchise relocated to Cleveland, Ohio. The team was also moved back to the National League's Eastern Division. In the 2008 season, the franchise went to their first Conference Championship game which they lost to Philadelphia Soul.
In 2009, the AFL announced that it had suspended operations indefinitely and canceled the 2009 season. Later in 2009 the Gladiators announced they would return to play in 2010, as a part of the league's relaunching. As of the 2012 season, the team has gone 38–48 while in Cleveland.
- Note: The Finish, Wins, and Losses columns list regular season results and exclude any postseason play. This list documents the season–by–season records of the Gladiators' franchise from 1997 to present, including postseason records, and league awards for individual players or head coaches.
|ArenaBowl Champions||ArenaBowl Appearance||Division Champions||Playoff Berth|
|Season||League||Conference||Division||Regular season||Postseason Results||Awards|
|New Jersey Red Dogs|
|1997||AFL||National||Eastern||2nd||9||5||Lost Quarterfinals (Orlando) 45–37||Steve Videtich (Kicker of the Year)|
|1998||AFL||National||Eastern||2nd||8||6||Won Quarterfinals (Albany) 66–59
Lost Semifinals (Tampa Bay) 49–23
|1999||AFL||National||Eastern||2nd||6||8||Robert Stewart (Lineman of the Year)
Latish Kinsler (HERO Award)
|New Jersey Gladiators|
|2002||AFL||National||Eastern||1st||9||5||Lost Quarterfinals (Orlando) 49–46||Steve Videtich (Kicker of the Year)|
|Las Vegas Gladiators|
|2003||AFL||National||Eastern||3rd||8||8||Lost Wild Card Round (Arizona) 69–23|
|2004||AFL||American||Western||4th||8||8||Marcus Nash (Offensive Player of the Year)|
|2008||AFL||National||Eastern||3rd||9||7||Won Wild Card Round (Orlando) 69–66
Won Divisional Round (Georgia) 73–70
Lost Conference Championship (Philadelphia) 70–35
|2009||The league suspended operations for the 2009 AFL season.|
|2011||AFL||American||East||1st||10||8||Lost Conference Semifinals (Georgia) 50–41|
|Total||118||144||(includes only regular season)|
|3||6||(includes only the postseason)|
|121||150||(includes both regular season and postseason)|
- "Roundup: Red Dogs sold, name changed to Gladiators". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- "Gladiators roll the dice toward Las Vegas". Arena Fan. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- Cleveland Gladiators Set To Play In Arena Football One League
- "Report: AFL Operations Suspended for 2009". ArenaFan. Retrieved April 7, 2011.
- "Gladiators History". Cleveland Gladiators. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- "Year by Year Results". Cleveland Gladiators. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- "New Jersey Red Dogs — Team History". Arena Fan. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- "New Jersey Gladiators — Team History". Arena Fan. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- "Las Vegas Gladiators — Team History". Arena Fan. Retrieved September 15, 2008.
- "Cleveland Gladiators — Team History". Arena Fan. Retrieved September 15, 2008.