List of Czech submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
The Czech Republic has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1994 (after the split of Czechoslovakia in December 1993). However, there were also Czech films submitted by Czechoslovakia before it ceased to exist in 1992.
The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. It was not created until the 1956 Academy Awards, in which a competitive Academy Award of Merit, known as the Best Foreign Language Film Award, was created for non-English speaking films, and has been given annually since.
As of 2008, three Czech films have been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, one of which, Jan Svěrák's Kolya, has won the award. Another of Svěrák's films, Dark Blue World, was submitted to the Academy for the 74th Academy Awards, but not accepted as a nominee. The two other Czech directors to have films accepted as nominees are Jan Hřebejk and Ondřej Trojan. Hřebejk's Divided We Fall was accepted as a nominee for the 73rd Academy Awards, but his submission for the 77th Academy Awards, Up and Down, was not. Trojan's Želary was a nominee for the 76th Academy Awards.
Prior to becoming a separate state in 1993, the Czech Republic was part of Czechoslovakia, which submitted twenty-three films for Oscar consideration between 1964 and 1991. All films chosen during this era had significant input from actors, directors and crew from the Czech Republic and several of them won the Academy Award like Closely Watched Trains in 1967 and The Shop on Main Street in 1965.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by the Czech Republic for review by the Academy for the award by the year of the submission and the respective Academy Award ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Director||Result|
||Submissions by Czechoslovakia||Won Academy Award|
|Faust||Lekce Faust||Švankmajer, JanJan Švankmajer||Not Nominated|
|Thanks for Every New Morning||Díky za každé nové ráno||Šteindler, MilanMilan Šteindler||Not Nominated|
|Kolya||Kolja||Svěrák, JanJan Svěrák||Won Academy Award|
|Forgotten Light||Zapomenuté světlo||Michálek, VladimírVladimír Michálek||Not Nominated|
|Sekal Has to Die||Je třeba zabít Sekala||Michálek, VladimírVladimír Michálek||Not Nominated|
|Return of the Idiot||Návrat idiota||Gedeon, SašaSaša Gedeon||Not Nominated|
|Divided We Fall||Musíme si pomáhat||Hřebejk, JanJan Hřebejk||Nominee|
|Dark Blue World||Tmavomodrý svět||Svěrák, JanJan Svěrák||Not Nominated|
|Wild Bees||Divoké včely||Sláma, BohdanBohdan Sláma||Not Nominated|
|Želary||Želary||Trojan, OndřejOndřej Trojan||Nominee|
|Up and Down||Horem pádem||Hřebejk, JanJan Hřebejk||Not Nominated|
|Something Like Happiness||Štěstí||Sláma, BohdanBohdan Sláma||Not Nominated|
|Lunacy||Šílení||Švankmajer, JanJan Švankmajer||Not Nominated|
|I Served the King of England||Obsluhoval jsem anglického krále||Menzel, JiříJiří Menzel||Not Nominated|
|The Karamazovs||Karamazovi||Zelenka, PetrPetr Zelenka||Not Nominated|
|Protector||Protektor||Najbrt, MarekMarek Najbrt||Not Nominated|
|Kawasaki's Rose||Kawasakiho růže||Hřebejk, JanJan Hřebejk||Not Nominated|
|Alois Nebel||Alois Nebel||Luňák, TomášTomáš Luňák||Not Nominated|
|In the Shadow||Ve stínu||Ondříček, DavidDavid Ondříček||Not Nominated|
|The Don Juans||Donšajni||Menzel, JiříJiří Menzel||Not Nominated|
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of the Czech Republic
- "List of Czech submissions for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film". Czech Film and Television Academy. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Special Rules for the Best Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-01-12. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Foreign Language Film Facts". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2008-03-08. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- Tatara, Paul (1997-04-04). "Child actor shines in Oscar-winning 'Kolya'". CNN. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "74th Academy Awards - Foreign Language Film Symposium". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- Seiler, Andy (2001-03-22). "Your guide to 'other' Oscar nominees". USA Today. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Oscar nominees list". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 2004-01-28. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Czech film Kawasaki's Rose to compete for Oscar". ceskenoviny. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Oscar by mohl zůstat Ve stínu". Česká televize. 17 September 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "A Few Controversies Amid a Record Number of Foreign-Language Oscar Entries". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-09-08.