List of Dallas Cowboys first-round draft picks
The Dallas Cowboys are professional American football team based in Dallas, Texas. The Cowboys team is a franchise of the National Football League (NFL) and plays in the East Division of the National Football Conference. The first draft in which the Cowboys participated was the 1961 NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting, more commonly known as the NFL Draft. In the NFL Draft, each NFL franchise annually adds new players to its roster. Teams are ranked in reverse order based on their records during the previous season, therefore the team with the worst record selects first. There are two exceptions to this order: the Super Bowl champion from the previous season selects last, and the Super Bowl runner-up selects second to last. Teams have the option of trading away their selections to other teams for different selections, players, cash, or any combination thereof. It is common, therefore, for the actual draft selection of a team to differ from their initial assigned draft selection or for a team to have either extra selections or no selections in any round because of such trades.
All-time first-round draft selections
|Hall of Famer † ||Pro Bowler * |
|1961||13||Bob Lilly †||TCU||Defensive Tackle|||
|1963||6||Lee Roy Jordan *||Alabama||Linebacker|
|1964||4||Scott Appleton||Texas||Offensive Tackle|||
|1966||5||John Niland *||Iowa||Offensive Guard|
|1968||20||Dennis Homan||Alabama||Defensive End|
|1969||24||Calvin Hill *||Yale||Running back|
|1970||23||Duane Thomas||West Texas St.||Running back|
|1971||25||Tody Smith||USC||Defensive End|
|1972||26||Bill Thomas||Boston College||Running back|
|1973||20||Billy Joe Dupree *||Michigan State||Tight End|
|1974||1||Ed "Too Tall" Jones *||Tennessee State||Defensive End|
|22||Charley Young||North Carolina St.||Running back|
|1975||2||Randy White †||Maryland||Linebacker|
|18||"Hollywood" Henderson *||Langston||Linebacker|
|1976||27||Aaron Kyle||Wyoming||Defensive Back|
|1977||2||Tony Dorsett † (Heisman Trophy Winner)||Pittsburgh||Running back|
|1978||28||Larry Bethea||Michigan State||Defensive End|
|1982||25||Rod Hill||Kentucky State||Defensive Back|
|1983||23||Jim Jeffcoat||Arizona State||Defensive End|
|1984||25||Billy Cannon, Jr.||Texas A&M||Linebacker|
|1985||17||Kevin Brooks||Michigan||Defensive End|
|1986||18||Mike Sherrard||UCLA||Wide Receiver|
|1987||12||Danny Noonan||Nebraska||Defensive Tackle|
|1988||11||Michael Irvin †||Miami||Wide Receiver|
|1989||1||Troy Aikman †||UCLA||Quarterback|
|1990||17||Emmitt Smith †||Florida||Running back|
|1991||1||Russell Maryland *||Miami||Defensive Tackle|
|12||Alvin Harper||Tennessee||Wide Receiver|
|20||Kelvin Pritchett||Mississippi||Defensive Tackle|
|1992||17||Kevin Smith||Texas A&M||Defensive Back|
|24||Robert Jones||South Carolina State||Linebacker|
|1994||23||Shante Carver||Arizona State||Defensive End|
|1997||22||David LaFleur||LSU||Tight End|
|1998||8||Greg Ellis *||UNC||Defensive End|
|1999||20||Ebenezer Ekuban||UNC||Defensive End|
|2002||8||Roy Williams *||Oklahoma||Safety|
|2003||5||Terence Newman *||Kansas State||Cornerback|
|2004||—||No Pick||—||—||The Cowboys traded this first round selection (22nd overall) to the Buffalo Bills for Bills' second round selection (43rd overall), fifth round selection (144th overall), and first round selection in 2005.|
|2005||11||DeMarcus Ware *||Troy State||Linebacker|
|20||Marcus Spears||Louisiana State||Defensive End||The Cowboys received this selection from the Buffalo Bills as well as the Bills' selections in 2004 in the second (43rd overall) and fifth rounds (144th overall) for the Cowboys' first round selection in 2004 (22nd overall).|
|2006||18||Bobby Carpenter||Ohio State||Linebacker|
|2007||26||Anthony Spencer *||Purdue||Linebacker||Dallas traded their original first round selection (22nd overall) to the Cleveland Browns for the Browns' first round selection in 2008 and the Browns' second round selection (36th overall) in this draft. Dallas then traded that additional second round selection (32nd overall), their third round selection (87th overall), and their fifth round selection (159th overall) to the Philadelphia Eagles for the Eagles' first round selection (26th overall).|
|2008||22||Felix Jones||Arkansas||Running Back||The Cowboys received this selection from the Cleveland Browns as well as the Browns' second round selection (36th overall) in 2007 for the Cowboys first round selection in 2007 (22nd overall).|
|25||Mike Jenkins *||South Florida||Cornerback||Dallas received this selection from the Seattle Seahawks for Dallas' original first-round selection (28th overall) and Dallas' fifth- and seventh-round selections (163rd and 235th).|
|2009||—||No Pick||—||—||The Cowboys traded their 20th overall pick (first round), the 82nd overall picks (third round), and 192nd overall pick (sixth round) in the 2009 draft for wide receiver Roy Williams from the Detroit Lions. The Cowboys received a seventh round pick from the Lions in the 2010 draft.|
|2010||24||Dez Bryant||Oklahoma State||Wide Receiver||Dallas traded their original first round and third round selection (27th and 90th overall) to the New England Patriots for the Patriots' first round selection and a fourth-round selection in 2010 to select Dez Bryant over the Baltimore Ravens.|
|2011||9||Tyron Smith||USC||Offensive Tackle|
|2013||31||Travis Frederick||Wisconsin||Center||Dallas traded their original first round pick (18th overall) to the San Francisco 49ers for the 49ers' first and third round selections|
|2014||16||Zack Martin||Notre Dame||Offensive tackle|
- Before their initial NFL Draft, the Cowboys franchise participated in the 1960 NFL Expansion Draft.
- Alder, James. ""NFL Draft Basics:Determining Order of Selection"". football.about.com. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- Players are identified as a Hall of Famer if they have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Players are identified as a Pro Bowler if they were selected for the Pro Bowl at any time in their career.
- The Cowboys took Lilly with their second first-round selection. Their first selection, the second overall, was traded to the Washington Redskins for Eddie LeBaron. The Redskins selected quarterback Norm Snead of Wake Forest with that selection. The Cowboys traded their first selection in the 1962 to the Cleveland Browns for Offensive Tackle Paul Dickson and the Browns' first selection in 1961, the thirteenth selection, with which the Cowboys selected Lilly. "1962 Draft". Pro Football Hall of Fame website. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- The Cowboys traded their first selection in 1962 to the Cleveland Browns for Offensive Tackle Paul Dickson.
- Scott Appleton signed with the Houston Oilers of the American Football League.
- The Cowboys traded their selection to the Houston Oilers for the rights to linebacker George Webster.
- Tony Dorsett, 1976 Heisman Trophy winner "42nd Award Winner". Retrieved 2008-08-04.[dead link]
- "NFL Draft History: First Round by Team: Dallas Cowboys". National Football League. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "History: Dallas Cowboys Draft History". Dallas Cowboys official Web site. Retrieved 2008-11-04.[dead link]
- "Hall of Famers by Franchise". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2002-11-06.
- "History: Pro Football Draft History - The 1960s". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "History: Pro Football Draft History - The 1970s". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "History: Pro Football Draft History - The 1980s". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "History: Pro Football Draft History - The 1990s". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "History: Pro Football Draft History - The 2000s". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "Historic Drafts Archive". knowyourdallascowboys.com. Retrieved 2008-11-06.[dead link]
- "Dallas Cowboys All-Time Draft Listing". pro-football-reference.com. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
|Lists of NFL first-round draft picks by team|
|American Football Conference|
|AFC East||AFC North||AFC South||AFC West|
|National Football Conference|
|NFC East||NFC North||NFC South||NFC West|