List of Dutch submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
The Netherlands has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1959. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. The award was created for the 1956 Academy Awards, succeeding the non-competitive Honorary Academy Awards which were presented between 1947 and 1955 to the best foreign language films released in the United States.
As of 2008, seven Dutch films have been nominated for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, three of which have won the award: The Assault in 1987, Antonia's Line in 1996 and Character in 1998. Two Dutch submissions were disqualified: The Vanishing in 1989 because more than half of the film was spoken in French and Bluebird in 2006 because it had aired on television.
The late Fons Rademakers represented the Netherlands in the competition five times, achieving two Oscar nominations, including one win.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Before the award was created, the Board of Governors of the Academy voted on a film every year that was considered the best foreign language film released in the United States, and there were no submissions. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by the Netherlands for review by the Academy for the award since its first entry in 1959.
|Year||Film title used in nomination||Original title||Main Language(s)||Director||Result|
|The Village on the River||Dorp aan de rivier||Dutch||Rademakers, FonsFons Rademakers||Nominated|
|Like Two Drops of Water||Als twee druppels water||Dutch||Rademakers, FonsFons Rademakers||Not Nominated|
|The Human Dutch||Alleman||Dutch||Haanstra, BertBert Haanstra||Not Nominated|
|Monsieur Hawarden||Monsieur Hawarden||Dutch||Kümel, HarryHarry Kümel||Not Nominated|
|Mira||Mira||Dutch||Rademakers, FonsFons Rademakers||Not Nominated|
|Turkish Delight||Turks Fruit||Dutch||Verhoeven, PaulPaul Verhoeven||Nominated|
|Help! The Doctor Is Drowning||Help, de dokter verzuipt!||Dutch||van der Heyde, NikolaiNikolai van der Heyde||Not Nominated|
|Dr. Pulder Sows Poppies||Dokter Pulder zaait papavers||Dutch||Haanstra, BertBert Haanstra||Not Nominated|
|Max Havelaar||Max Havelaar||Dutch, Indonesian||Rademakers, FonsFons Rademakers||Not Nominated|
|Soldier of Orange||Soldaat van Oranje||Dutch, German, English||Verhoeven, PaulPaul Verhoeven||Not Nominated|
|Pastorale 1943||Pastorale 1943||Dutch, German||Verstappen, WimWim Verstappen||Not Nominated|
|A Woman Like Eve||Een Vrouw als Eva||Dutch||van Brakel, NouchkaNouchka van Brakel||Not Nominated|
|In for Treatment||Opname||Dutch||Kok, MarjaMarja Kok & Erik van Zuylen||Not Nominated|
|Come-Back!||Come-Back||Dutch||Severijn, JonneJonne Severijn||Not Nominated|
|The Cool Lakes of Death||Van de koele meren des doods||Dutch||van Brakel, NouchkaNouchka van Brakel||Not Nominated|
|The Fourth Man||De vierde man||Dutch||Verhoeven, PaulPaul Verhoeven||Not Nominated|
|Army Brats||Schatjes!||Dutch||van Hemert, RuudRuud van Hemert||Not Nominated|
|The Dream||De Dream||West Frisian||Verhoeff, PieterPieter Verhoeff||Not Nominated|
|The Assault||De Aanslag||Dutch, German, English||Rademakers, FonsFons Rademakers||Won Academy Award|
|Count Your Blessings||Van geluk gesproken||Dutch||Verhoeff, PieterPieter Verhoeff||Not Nominated|
|The Vanishing||Spoorloos||Dutch, French||Sluizer, GeorgeGeorge Sluizer||Disqualified[A]|
|Polonaise||Leedvermaak||Dutch||Weisz, FransFrans Weisz||Not Nominated|
|Evenings||De Avonden||Dutch||van den Berg, RudolfRudolf van den Berg||Not Nominated|
|Eline Vere||Eline Vere||Dutch, French, English||Kümel, HarryHarry Kümel||Not Nominated|
|The Northerners||De Noorderlingen||Dutch||van Warmerdam, AlexAlex van Warmerdam||Not Nominated|
|Little Blond Death||De Kleine Blonde Dood||Dutch||van de Velde, JeanJean van de Velde||Not Nominated|
|06||06||Dutch||van Gogh, TheoTheo van Gogh||Not Nominated|
|Antonia's Line||Antonia||Dutch||Gorris, MarleenMarleen Gorris||Won Academy Award|
|Long Live the Queen||Lang leve de koningin||Dutch||Lammers, EsméEsmé Lammers||Not Nominated|
|Character||Karakter||Dutch||van Diem, MikeMike van Diem||Won Academy Award|
|The Polish Bride||De Poolse bruid||Dutch, Polish||Traidia, KarimKarim Traidia||Not Nominated|
|Scratches in the Table||Madelief: Krassen in het tafelblad||Dutch||Houtman, InekeIneke Houtman||Not Nominated|
|Little Crumb||Kruimeltje||Dutch||Peters, MariaMaria Peters||Not Nominated|
|The Moving True Story of a Woman Ahead of Her Time||Nynke||Dutch, West Frisian||Verhoeff, PieterPieter Verhoeff||Not Nominated|
|Zus & Zo||Zus & Zo||Dutch||van der Oest, PaulaPaula van der Oest||Nominated|
|Twin Sisters||De Tweeling||Dutch, German||Sombogaart, BenBen Sombogaart||Nominated|
|Simon||Simon||Dutch||Terstall, EddyEddy Terstall||Not Nominated|
|Bluebird||BlueBird||Dutch||de Jong, MijkeMijke de Jong||Disqualified[B]|
|Black Book||Zwartboek||Dutch, German, English||Verhoeven, PaulPaul Verhoeven||Made January Shortlist|
|Duska||Duska||Dutch, Russian||Stelling, JosJos Stelling||Not Nominated|
|Dunya & Desie||Dunya & Desie||Dutch, Arabic||Nechushtan, DanaDana Nechushtan||Not Nominated|
|Winter in Wartime [C]||Oorlogswinter||Dutch, German, English||Koolhoven, MartinMartin Koolhoven||Made January Shortlist|
|Tirza||Tirza||Dutch||van den Berg, RudolfRudolf van den Berg||Not Nominated|
|Sonny Boy||Sonny Boy||Dutch||Peters, MariaMaria Peters||Not Nominated|
|Kauwboy||Kauwboy||Dutch||Koole, BoudewijnBoudewijn Koole||Not Nominated|
|Borgman||Borgman||Dutch||van Warmerdam, AlexAlex van Warmerdam||Not Nominated|
|Accused||Lucia de B.||Dutch||van der Oest, PaulaPaula van der Oest||Made January Shortlist|
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of the Netherlands
- A^ : The Vanishing was disqualified because the Academy determined that there was too much French dialogue in the film to meet the requirements. Although the film was produced in the Netherlands by French-Dutch filmmaker and a mostly Dutch cast, AMPAS deemed that the film was unsuitable to represent the Netherlands. The Dutch declined to send another film, leaving them unrepresented for the first time since 1972.
- B^ : Bluebird was rejected by the Academy because the film previously aired on Dutch television. The Academy was not persuaded by the fact that the film had been newly edited for cinema since the broadcasting, stating "there was not enough difference between the two versions." Because of the late notification the Netherlands was unable to submit a new entry.
- C^ : The Dutch selection committee originally announced The Silent Army, by Jean van de Velde as their official Oscar submission. Several people within the Dutch film industry protested that the film was not eligible since it contained too much English dialogue and because it had screened in Dutch theatres in an alternate version, in violation of AMPAS rules. The committee withdrew the submission and agreed to reconvene. They then chose The Silent Army a second time. After conferring with AMPAS and being told that the film was, in fact, going to be disqualified, they met a third time and selected Winter in Wartime.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 1". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- "Foreign Language Film Facts". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2008-03-08. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- Zagt, Ab (2005-12-14). "Oscar shoots down Dutch 'Bluebird'". redOrbit. Retrieved 2008-07-29.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- "Tirza named Dutch foreign language Oscar submission". Screen Daily. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Koole’s Kauwboy selected as The Netherlands’ Foreign Language Oscar entry submission". Screen International. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Netherlands enters Borgman into Oscar race". Screendaily. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "Accused’ Tapped Dutch Candidate for Oscar’s Foreign-Language Noms". Variety. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Advance in Oscar Race". AMPAS. Retrieved 19 December 2014.