List of Eureka Seven: AO characters
This is a list of characters for the Eureka Seven: AO anime series.
- Ao Fukai (フカイ・アオ Fukai Ao?)
- Voiced by: Yūtarō Honjō (Japanese), Micah Solusod (English)
- Age : 13 (debut) - 15 (ending)
- Birthdate : June 27, 2012
- The series's protagonist. Ao is the biological son of Renton Thurston and Eureka. He has his father's facial features and brown hair (until he first piloted the Nirvish Neo and turned turquoise, like his mother's), but has his mother's eye and skin color. His mother one day fell from a clear sky into a bay in Iwato Jima, Okinawa, before giving birth to Ao sometime later in 2012. After Eureka was handed over to the American Armed Forces ten years ago, as the islanders believe her and Ao's presence angered their local deity the "Sea Colossus" with the appearance of Scub Coral, Ao ended up in the care of his mother's only friend Dr. Toshio Fukai. During his middle school entrance ceremony, Ao discovers the RA272 Nirvash Mark One after he unintentionally retrieves his mother's bracelet from Gazelle who was smuggling it for the Japanese Army, and then Gazelle gets him to pilot the IFO, both named the Nirvash by Eureka and created by Renton. Ostracized by the villagers and targeted by the armies of several countries, Ao decides to join Team Pied Piper, hoping to find her.
- Ao is a brave and empathetic person who is willing to protect his loved ones. He is more upfront than Renton is, according to Eureka, and as the son of a human and a Coralian, he has been shown to possess a sort of psychic insight involving Secrets and the ability to see Trapar particles with his naked eyes. Though he is resented by the villagers due to being the son of Eureka, Ao loves his mother dearly. He believed his father abandoned him and his mother, but he later learned that Renton always loved him and Eureka, and was shocked to learn that he had an older sister who died before he was born. Upon learning the sacrifices his parents made in order to protect him, Ao decided to save them by returning them to their world and used the Quartz Gun to destroy the Secrets for good, but sacrificing his existence in his world. Despite this, Ao resolves to continue living in the world he grew up in and build a new future for himself as part of repaying for what his parents had done for him.
- At birth, Renton and Eureka named their son "Ao Thurston." He was renamed "Ao Fukai" by his adopted grandfather after Eureka's disappearance.
- Naru Arata (アラタ・ナル Arata Naru?)
- Voiced by: Kanako Miyamoto (Japanese), Lindsay Seidel (English)
- Naru is a 13-year-old girl and one of Ao's neighbors. She is one of the few people who doesn't think of Ao as a monster, and she has a strong friendship with him. She requires oxygen therapy due to an incident in the past involving a Scub Burst and the mysterious Sea Giant, but she somehow became a Yuta (ユタ?), a psychic in Okinawan folklore, as a result. It is revealed in episode 12 that the reason she has trouble breathing is because there's a piece of scub coral growing inside her. She lives with her grandmother, father Mitsuo, and sister Miyu, due to the death of her mother several years ago during the Scub Burst event. In episode seven, Naru is taken and manipulated by Truth. Naru begins to see the truth and understands the Scub Coral as well becoming the pilot of the Nirvash Type Zero, the LFO that Eureka and Renton piloted and the namesake of the Nirvash IFO their son pilots.
Génération Bleu (ゲネラシオン・ブル Generashion Buru?) is a company based in a Swiss mountain that is studying the Scub Coral and Secrets for their own personal gain. They have teams of IFO pilots at their disposal to seek their goal as well as owning a Low Orbit Strategic Locating Satellite (低軌道戦略拠点衛星 Teikidō Senryaku Kyoten Eisei?) called the Loploss (ロプロス Ropurosu?) to detect Scub Coral appearances.
Team Pied Piper
Team Pied Piper (チーム・パイドパイパー Chīmu Paidopaipā?) is one of the teams used by Génération Bleu to investigate and study the Scub Coral and Secrets.
- Fleur Blanc (フレア・ブラン Furea Buran?)
- Voiced by: Ayaka Ōhashi (Japanese), Sainty Reid (English)
- Fleur is a French 16-year-old IFO pilot for Team Pied Piper, piloting the RA164 Alleluia. She is aware of her prowess as a pilot and is prideful and headstrong. Fleur is also a popular celebrity, and updates her blog regularly. She often clashes with her father Christophe, due to the death of her mother. Despite claiming she has no feelings for Ao, she usually shows deep concern for him. Fleur assume her father's role, after his sacrifice to protect her and Ao from Truth's invasion. At the end of the series, it is last seen that Fleur chases Ao to a Scub Burst, while her IFO's third engine is booting. Her fate however is unknown whether she was able to catch up to Ao.
- Elena Peoples (エレナ・ピ－プルズ Erena Pīpuruzu?)
- Voiced by: Chiaki Omigawa (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English)
- Elena is an American 15-year-old IFO pilot for Team Pied Piper, piloting the RA304 Kyrie. She is a reserved girl who is hard to read. She is an avid netizen and enjoys checking up on her favorite websites to see if they are updated, even in the field. She makes various references to anime, manga, and video games. She was originally known as Ellen Brooks, who lived in 1981 until Eureka saved her during a Scub burst near the Caribbean Sea that teleported her to the year 2020 where she ended up at American research facility making IFO pilots. Sometime before she was recruited, Ellen took the name "Elena Peoples" from another girl who died five years prior to the beginning of the series. Since then, Elena desires to return to Eureka's timeline thus showing an unconcealed hatred towards her, until she learns the truth.
- Ivica Tanović (イビチャ・タノヴィッチ Ibicha Tanovitchi?)
- Voiced by: Tetsuo Gotō (Japanese), John Swasey (English)
- Ivica is a Balkan war veteran who met Eureka as an American soldier during the mission to prevent the Scub Burst in Okinawa that ended in her disappearance. After that he accepts Cristophe Blanc's invitation to join Génération Bleu and is nominated the chief of Team Pied Piper commanding its mothership, the Triton. He tries hard in every mission to protect the children piloting the IFOs. He named the team "Pied Piper", comparing himself to the Pied Piper of Hamelin.
- Rebecka Hallström (レベッカ・ハルストレム Rebekka Harusutoremu?)
- Voiced by: Chie Nakamura (Japanese), Jamie Marchi (English)
- Rebecka is the commander and strategist of Team Pied Piper. She appears to be the only person who is not eccentric in some way.
- Georg (ゲオルグ Georugu?)
- Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi (Japanese), Tyson Rinehart (English)
- Georg is the AI computer system on the Triton (トリトン号 Toriton-gō?), the Air Assault Landing Ship (空中強襲揚陸艦 Kūchū Kyōshū Yōrikukan?) utilized by Team Pied Piper.
Team Goldilocks (チーム・ゴルディロックス Chīmu Gorudirokkusu?) is another team hired by Génération Bleu to study the Scub Coral and Secrets. However, after Operation Polaris, the course of history is altered as if they were never assembled at all. So far only Ao remembers about their existence.
- Bruno Hans (ブルーノ・ハンス Burūno Hansu?)
- Voiced by: Yuu Shimaka (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- Bruno was the leader of Team Goldilocks and chief of their mothership the Medon (メドン号 Medon-gō?). Chloe and her teammates believe he was a little strange. Like the chief of the Triton, Hans never allows himself to forget that children's lives are precious. He died protecting his companions during an operation.
- Chloe McCaffrey (クロエ・マキャフリイ Kuroe Makyafurii?)
- Voiced by: Ayu Matsuura (Japanese), Felecia Angelle (English)
- Chloe is an 11-year-old IFO pilot for Team Goldilocks, piloting the RA169 Requiem. Despite her short stature, Chloe refuses to acknowledge that she is still a child, and she is fond of cake. After Ao alters the course of history, it is revealed that she and her sister Maeve are living with their mother in the family's bakery shop in Ireland.
- Maeve McCaffrey (メイヴ・マキャフリイ Meivu Makyafurii?)
- Voiced by: Nao Tōyama (Japanese), Kristi Kang (English)
- Maeve is Chloe's older sister and is Team Goldilocks' pilot of the RA121 Gloria. After Ao alters the course of history, it is revealed that like her sister, she lives with their mother who owns a bakery.
- Maggie Kwan (マギー・クァン Magī Kwan?)
- Voiced by: Ayumi Fujimura (Japanese), Morgan Garrett (English)
- Maggie is a close friend of Chloe and Maeve and serves as the pilot of RA302 Credo. After Ao alters the course of history, she is seen as an Allied Forces pilot stationed in the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan. She befriends with Elena whom she helped confirm what Eureka said about her origin.
Team Harlequin (チーム・ハーレクイン Chīmu Hārekuin?) is another of Génération Bleu's teams stationed in the company's space station.
- Hannah Bester (ハンナ・ベスター Hanna Besutā?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Katō (Japanese), Lydia Mackay (English)
- Hannah is helmswoman of the Great Proteus (グレート・プロテウス号 Gurēto Puroteusu-gō?) and acts as a mother to her charges.
- Liu Ing (リュウ・イン Ryū In?)
- Voiced by: Fūka Haruna (Japanese), Alison Viktorin (English)
- An IFO pilot for Team Harlequin.
- Lerato Food (レラト・フード Rerato Fūdo?)
- Voiced by: Fumie Mizusawa (Japanese), Trina Nishimura (English)
- An IFO pilot for Team Harlequin.
- Rajkumar Nair (ラジクマール・ナーイル Rajikumāru Nāiru?)
- Voiced by: Kōsuke Hatakeyama (Japanese), Corey Cleary-Stoner (English)
- An IFO pilot for Team Harlequin. Out of the three pilots, Rajkumar is the leader.
- Christophe Blanc (クリストフ・ブラン Kurisutofu Buran?)
- Voiced by: Rokurō Naya (Japanese), Chuck Huber (English)
- Christophe Blanc is the president of Génération Bleu and Fleur's father. He seeks to find the "Secret" for his company's own uses. Before founding Génération Bleu, he was CEO of a French aeronautics business. Christophe entrusted his daughter Fleur to be in charge of his purpose upon his death, due to a fusion explosion in the headquarters' basement where the Quartz Gun is stored when Truth attacks Génération Bleu one last time. His last words to Ao were to learn the "true enemy" he must face for all mankind.
- Alexander Boyle (アレクサンダー・ボイル Arekusandā Boiru?)
- Voiced by: Akio Nojima (Japanese), Charlie Campbell (English)
- Boyle is the technical director in charge of maintenance of Génération Bleu's IFOs.
- Stanley (スタンリー Sutanrī?)
- Voiced by: Ikuya Sawaki (Japanese), Kent Williams (English)
- Stanley is an executive in Génération Bleu and representative of Big Blue World, the world's largest PR firm funding Génération Bleu. He takes over administration of Team Goldilocks after Bruno's death.
- Miller (ミラー Mirā?)
- Voiced by: Chiaki Omigawa (Japanese), Jad Saxton (English)
- Miller is a British indie musician from Manchester who performs on contract at the Génération Bleu headquarters. Blanc orders Gazelle, Pippo, and Han Juno to keep an eye on her, as he believes she is a spy for the American government, but Gazelle later postulates that she is actually Elena Peoples in disguise. It is discovered that despite a 97% physical similarity between the two young women, their DNA is not identical. Elena later has a hallucination where she seemingly attacks Miller, and she later is seen throwing away the wig she was using. In episode 18, Elena confessed to Fleur privately she was responsible for the death of the original Miller.
A group of Iwato Jima residents are smugglers (運び屋 hakobiya?), working for whoever pays them top dollar. They stumble on Ao while smuggling an important cargo for the Japanese Armed Forces, leading to the boy's encounter with the Nirvash. Later they sneak aboard the Triton, looking to have an audience with Génération Bleu's president Christophe Blanc who employs their services for reasons still unknown.
- Gazelle (ガゼル Gazeru?)
- Voiced by: Takuya Kirimoto (Japanese), Brandon Potter (English)
- Gazelle is the head of the group of smugglers on Iwato Jima. Although it often appears he is messing around, he is very smart and always knows how to get a good deal. He feels sorry for how Ao has been treated throughout his life for things he did not do, and has denied being part of his family for his father's actions. His real name is Jiro (ジロウ Jirō?).
- In an alternate history, he becomes a high ranking official of the Independent Okinawa state.
- Pippo (ピッポ?)
- Voiced by: Keikō Sakai (Japanese), Matt Thurston (English)
- Pippo is Gazelle's old friend and accomplice. He has a strong conviction to justice, and also is very unlucky. Against his father's wishes, he does not join the Okinawa Private Self-Defense Forces.
- Han Juno (ハン・ジュノ?)
- Voiced by: Yoshinori Fujita (Japanese), Anthony Bowling (English)
- Han Juno is one of Gazelle's friends who is a very adept computer hacker. He is descended from people from four different nations and often reacts to situations with indifference.
Iwato Jima residents
- Dr. Toshio Fukai (フカイ・トシオ Fukai Toshio?)
- Voiced by: Katsunosuke Hori (Japanese), R Bruce Elliott (English)
- Toshio is Ao's guardian and friend. He owns a medical clinic on Iwato Jima and puts saving people before any other priority. He gave Eureka refuge before the American Armed Forces came looking for her, and after she was taken away, he took in Ao as his grandson.
- Mitsuo Arata (アラタ・ミツオ Arata Mitsuo?)
- Voiced by: Masafumi Kimura (Japanese), Phil Parsons (English)
- Mitsuo is Naru's father. Naru's mother died in the Scub Burst event 10 years ago.
- Miyu Arata (アラタ・ミユ Arata Miyu?)
- Voiced by: Nao Tōyama (Japanese), Emerick Jade (English)
- Miyu is Naru's little sister.
- Grandma (お婆 Obaa?)
- Voiced by: Ako Mayama (Japanese), Juli Erickson (English)
- Naru's grandmother and Mitsuo's mother.
- Kazuyuki Kaneshiro (カネシロ・カズユキ Kaneshiro Kazuyuki?)
- Voiced by: Naomi Kusumi (Japanese), Mark Stoddard (English)
- Kazuyuki Kaneshiro is Gazelle's father. He is a former popular Okinawan singer and sanshin player who leads the locals against Ao when the boy seemingly fulfills his destiny.
- Teruhiko Niigaki (ニイガキ・テルヒコ Niigaki Teruhiko?)
- Voiced by: Tetsuo Komura (Japanese), Brian Mathis (English)
- Teruhiko Niigaki is an officer of the Okinawa Self-Defense Forces and Pippo's father.
- Truth (トゥルース Turūsu?)
- Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (Japanese), Todd Haberkorn (English)
- "Truth" is the Secret who confronted Eureka in Okinawa during her disappearance ten years before and met Naru (the second time she is in the past), able to shape-shift into human form. His human form is first seen as the son of Johannson, a popular author who opposed the United States globalist tactics before committing suicide years ago. Truth takes control of the Kanon an unknown LFO when invading Génération Bleu in episode 20. As a Secret, he is capable of killing people who are infected by Scub Corals. Interestingly, when Truth is shot by the Quartz Gun he is converted into the Archetype of Ao's Nirvash Neo. In the final scene, he is shown to remain in his astral form, drifting in time and space.
- Eureka (エウレカ?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka (Japanese), Stephanie Sheh (English)
- Ao's biological mother and was the main female protagonist from the original Eureka Seven series. Eureka is now married to Renton and has two children, though the first child, Amber, died as a baby. Ending up on Iwato Jima while giving birth to her son, with only Toshio Fukai knowing her true identity, Eureka concealed herself from the other residents of the island by dying her turquoise hair brown. However, the residents of Iwato Jima handed her over to the American military ten years ago, in the aftermath of the last Scub Burst to hit the island, and she mysteriously disappeared. By fate, getting flashbacks of his mother while he was little, Ao became the pilot of the IFO Nirvash while adapting some of his mother's physical features. Joining Team Pied Piper, Ao resolves to find Eureka. At the end of episode 12, Ao reunites with Eureka who, along with the Gekko ship and her Nirvash appear from inside a Scub Coral. She saves Ao by helping him use the Gekko as a board to safely land on the ocean. Aboard the Gekko while bonding, Ao learns that the Eureka before him is from a time before he was born. The reunion is cut short when Truth attempts to grab Eureka. Another pillar of light appears and Ao helps get Eureka to it so she can return to her time, with Eureka telling him that the baby she is carrying is a girl, leading Ao to believe he has an older sister later revealed to have died at three months of age. It is revealed that, in order to save Ao and the world he lives in, Eureka merged with the Quartz but was unable to materialize with it, causing her to be in limbo between worlds. Ao saves her by going back in time and reuniting her with Renton, and sending them back to their world.
- Renton Thurston (レントン・サーストン Renton Sāsuton?)
- Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese), Johnny Yong Bosch (English)
- Ao's biological father and the main male protagonist from the original Eureka Seven series. He is now married to Eureka and has two children: Amber and Ao. However, his daughter died shortly after birth, and Renton still mourns the loss of his daughter. Renton succeeded both his father and grandfather by combining the knowledge about LFOs and Scub Coral, and thus creating the first IFO. He sent Eureka to the year 2012 in order to save her from the Secrets and to ensure Ao would survive. Believing that he abandoned him and his mother, Ao spent his childhood angry at him until Ao met Eureka's past self and learned the truth. He was the one who developed the RA272 Nirvash currently in Ao's hands. Renton appears in the year 12021 at the end of episode 22 as he pilots the Ultimate Nirvash Type Zero SpecV3 through a Seven Swell in search for Eureka, and then met Ao for the first time. His intention is to go back through time and destroy the Scub Coral in order to prevent his son from suffering the same fate as his daughter had. However, this would be a paradox; if the Scub Coral did not exist, Ao would not either, as Eureka was born from it. It is possible, he may have been trying to destroy the bulk of the Scub Coral and leave enough behind to ensure Eureka's creation in the future. Happy to know that his father loves him and has always been protecting him, Ao decided to save his parents by reuniting them and sending them to their world. Before parting ways, Renton gave Ao his old ref board.
- Amber Thurston
- Amber is Renton and Eureka's daughter and Ao's older sister. She appears only once in the anime, although she was oscured in a blanket. During her pregnancy with their daughter, Eureka and Renton were warned that their child would be affected by high trapar concentrations due to being a human-Coralian hybrid, but they chose to carry the pregnancy to term rather than chose an alternative. After her birth, Amber was implied to be healthy until her body turned to stone and she died as a result of the high trapar when she was 3 months old. Her death serves as the catalyst for Renton trying to destroy the Scub Coral and sending Eureka to the past of an alternative universe in order for Ao to survive in a world with less trapar. Although both Renton and Eureka continue to mourn their daughter's death, it is Renton is the most grief-stricken and he blames himself for her death.
- Noah (ノア Noa?)
- Voiced by: Nao Tōyama (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- Noah is an Iriomote three-toed sloth (イリオモテミツユビナマケモノ Iriomote Mitsuyubi Namakemono?) that is kept by Naru as her pet. When Ao joins Team Pied Piper, she entrusts Noah in his care.
- Nakamura (ナカムラ?)
- Voiced by: Kōichi Tōchika (Japanese), Duncan Brannan (English)
- A young Japanese Defense Force Officer who intends on catapulting Japan's International status by aggressive means. He allies himself with Truth to learn the power of Scub Coral and the Secrets, believing that it can transform into the military power that Japan needs much to intimidate her neighbors. Nakamura does not hesitate to manipulate various Japanese military personnel and use Truth's power to achieve his goal. Nakamura lets it slip to Gazelle that he is of Okinawan descent, however he is in denial of his origin. Later, Nakamura resigns from the military to pursue another extreme nationalistic plan of his.
- In an alternate history, Nakamura becomes Japan's Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs in 2027.
- Nick Tanaka (ニキ・タナカ Niki Tanaka?)
- Voiced by: Tomeyushi Hyuga (Japanese), Andrew T. Chandler (English)
- An US army officer who has involved himself in the affairs of Japan and Okinawan independence for decades. His goal is to capture the IFO Mark I and Eureka. He later leads a task force to eliminate Génération Bleu.
- Endo (エンドウ Endō?)
- Voiced by: Satoshi Sasaki (Japanese), Robert McCollum (English)
- The only survivor of Japanese ground force in Eureka's battle with Truth a decade ago, and a colonel in the Japanese army. With a strong sense of duty, he risks himself to protect Ao as he promised to take care of Eureka's child before she went to the fight. Endo suffers a brutal murder by Truth and the Japanese Army blames Ao for it as an excuse to take him under custody.