List of Girls episodes
Girls is an American comedy series created by Lena Dunham, who serves as executive producer along with Judd Apatow and Jenni Konner. The series premiered on HBO on April 15, 2012. Girls stars Dunham as Hannah Horvath, an aspiring writer in her 20s trying to navigate her personal and professional life in New York City after her parents discontinue their financial support. Allison Williams, Jemima Kirke, Zosia Mamet, Adam Driver, and Alex Karpovsky co-star as Hannah's circle of friends, who are also trying to figure out their own lives and relationships.
As of March 17, 2013[update], 20 episodes of Girls have aired, concluding the second season.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD and Blu-ray release date|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||10||April 15, 2012||June 17, 2012||December 11, 2012||February 4, 2013||December 12, 2012|
|2||10||January 13, 2013||March 17, 2013||August 13, 2013||August 12, 2013||October 23, 2013|
|3||12||January 12, 2014||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
Season 1 (2012)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||1||"Pilot"||Lena Dunham||Lena Dunham||April 15, 2012||0.87|
|Hannah's parents cut her off financially and she loses her internship. Jessa returns to town and moves in with her cousin, Shoshanna. Hannah and Marnie throw Jessa a dinner party that ends with Hannah drinking opium tea and showing up at her parents' hotel room high.|
|2||2||"Vagina Panic"||Lena Dunham||Lena Dunham||April 22, 2012||0.86|
|All four girls find themselves in an abortion clinic for various reasons. Hannah discovers that Adam is having unprotected sex with other girls, and decides to get tested for STDs to ease her fears. While Jessa fails to show up to her appointment, she realises her pregnancy was a false alarm when she gets her period while hooking up with a stranger at a bar. Meanwhile, Marnie and Shoshanna are there for support, and Shoshanna reveals she is still a virgin.|
|3||3||"All Adventurous Women Do"||Lena Dunham||Lena Dunham||April 29, 2012||0.82|
|Hannah learns she has HPV so she tells Adam, who claims to have been tested recently. While watching a TV show about someone's "biggest baggage", Shoshanna reveals to Hannah that she is still a virgin. Hannah tells her not to worry and tells her about her HPV diagnosis. Shoshanna tells Hannah that Jessa also has HPV. Later on, Hannah meets up with her ex-boyfriend Elijah for drinks and finds out that he has come out of the closet. They get into an argument over Elijah's sexuality and Hannah's accusation that he gave her HPV. Meanwhile, Jessa begins her new job as a babysitter and makes a connection with the children's father. Marnie starts to fall for Booth Jonathan, an artist.|
|4||4||"Hannah's Diary"||Richard Shepard||Lena Dunham||May 6, 2012||0.74|
|Hannah finds herself the target of an employer's sexual advances, and her plans to break up with her boyfriend (after receiving a vulgar text meant for someone else) don't succeed. Shoshanna makes out with a man, (Skylar Astin), but he refuses to have sex with her after she confesses she's a virgin. Jessa briefly loses the two children she babysits, but their father is forgiving. Marnie's boyfriend and one of his friends use Hannah's diary in a song.|
|5||5||"Hard Being Easy"||Jesse Peretz||Lena Dunham||May 13, 2012||0.83|
|Charlie angrily breaks up with Marnie. She begs his forgiveness, and eventually they have sex. Marnie then tells Charlie she's done with the relationship. Hannah quits her job, her attempts at getting a monetary settlement for sexual harassment having failed. Adam is very cool toward her and doesn't seem interested in their relationship. Jessa has a fling with a former boyfriend.|
|6||6||"The Return"||Lena Dunham||Lena Dunham & Judd Apatow||May 20, 2012||0.68|
|Hannah returns to Michigan for her parents' 30th anniversary. Over the course of the weekend she has a fling with a friend from high school, and begins to doubt the wisdom of her decision to move to New York and pursue a writing career. Hannah's parents are willing to resume giving her financial assistance, but Hannah says that won't be necessary. In a late-night phone call Adam makes it clear that he still cares for Hannah.|
|7||7||"Welcome to Bushwick a.k.a. The Crackcident"||Jody Lee Lipes||Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner||May 27, 2012||0.87|
|When at a party with Adam, Hannah discovers another one of her lover's defining traits. Marnie is distraught after her encounter with Charlie. Jessa sends taunting messages to an anonymous texter. Ray helps Shoshanna after she accidentally smokes crack.|
|8||8||"Weirdos Need Girlfriends Too"||Jody Lee Lipes||Lena Dunham & Dan Sterling||June 3, 2012||1.09|
|While Hannah delves deeper into Adam's life, an unemployed Jessa and a down-and-out Marnie end up forming an unexpected bond before coming face to face with an eligible bachelor who is pretending to be something he is not.|
|9||9||"Leave Me Alone"||Richard Shepard||Lena Dunham & Bruce Eric Kaplan||June 10, 2012||0.87|
|Feeling resentful of an old classmate's success and unable to make rent, Hannah is forced to take a job at a café. Marnie has trouble handling Hannah's emotional and financial needs. Jessa's old boss stops by. Shoshanna's using a dating site now, and is excited about a match.|
|10||10||"She Did"||Lena Dunham||Lena Dunham||June 17, 2012||1.00|
|Hannah begins questioning her romantic relationship with Adam. Marnie decides to embrace her free-spirited nature during a mystery party that Jessa is hosting. Shoshanna hooks up with Ray.|
Season 2 (2013)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|11||1||"It's About Time"||Lena Dunham||Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner||January 13, 2013||0.87|
|Several weeks after the events of the previous season's finale, Hannah is taking care of a broken-legged Adam while having a casual relationship with another guy. Marnie is "downsized," leaving her jobless. New roommates, Hannah and Elijah, throw a party in which Shoshanna and Ray reignite their former fling, and Elijah argues with his boyfriend and starts to have sex with Marnie. Jessa returns from her honeymoon with her new husband.|
|12||2||"I Get Ideas"||Lena Dunham||Jenni Konner||January 20, 2013||0.57|
|Elijah and his boyfriend argue over the indiscretions that took place at the party. After a bad job interview, Marnie rethinks her career options. Jessa and Thomas-John are happily settled into married life which causes Hannah to question her own relationship. Adam goes to worrying lengths to win Hannah back.|
|13||3||"Bad Friend"||Jesse Peretz||Lena Dunham & Sarah Heyward||January 27, 2013||0.75|
|Hannah is hired to do freelance work. For her first project, she procures coke from Laird, the ex-junkie who lives in her building, and takes it with Elijah. Marnie goes to have sex with Booth Jonathan, the conceptual artist. While at a club, Elijah tells Hannah that he had sex with Marnie. She gets angry and, after finding Laird following them, goes to Booth's house. She confronts both Marnie and Elijah, and, after fighting with Marnie, tells Elijah that she is kicking him out. She then goes back to her apartment building, and has sex with Laird for her article.|
|14||4||"It's a Shame About Ray"||Jesse Peretz||Lena Dunham||February 2, 2013||0.52|
|Hannah hosts a dinner party to celebrate her online article. Audrey, Charlie's new girlfriend, lets Marnie know how she feels. Charlie makes a move on Marnie, Shoshanna finds out that Ray is living with her and Ray tells Shoshanna he loves her. Jessa meets Thomas John’s parents and they fight afterwards, resulting in their breakup.|
|15||5||"One Man's Trash"||Richard Shepard||Lena Dunham||February 10, 2013||0.74|
|Hannah thinks she invents the word "sexit" only to be caught in the middle of a fight between Ray and a neighbor, Joshua (Patrick Wilson). Hannah has taken pleasure in dumping the shop's trash in Joshua's trash cans. She goes to Joshua's house to confess but ends up having an affair with him. Hannah realizes she actually wants to be happy and she wants to stop living experiences for people.|
|16||6||"Boys"||Claudia Weill||Murray Miller||February 17, 2013||0.69|
|After getting a deal for an e-book, Hannah has difficulty coming up with any material. Ray accompanies Adam to Staten Island to help him return a dog he stole and the two get into a fight about Hannah and Shoshanna. Marnie helps Booth Jonathan with an event after his assistant quits, but realizes that he does not believe they are dating. Hannah attends the party in hopes of getting over her writer's block, but ends up feeling out of place amongst Marnie's new friends. They call each other at the end of the night, but act as if everything is fine for both of them. Ray makes a failed attempt to return the dog and cries.|
|17||7||"Video Games"||Richard Shepard||Bruce Eric Kaplan||February 24, 2013||0.48|
|Hannah accompanies Jessa to visit her estranged father. She later has sex with Jessa's nineteen-year-old step-brother. Jessa doesn't receive the warm welcome that she had hoped for from her father and subsequently abandons Hannah who is forced to return to New York alone.|
|18||8||"It's Back"||Jesse Peretz||Lena Dunham & Steve Rubinshteyn & Deborah Schoeneman||March 3, 2013||0.67|
|Hannah hides her anxiety from her visiting parents, repeatedly doing things 8 times as a symptom. Marnie is given the news that her ex-boyfriend has succeeded with an app inspired by their breakup, this leads to her decision to follow her true passion for singing. Shoshanna sleeps with another man, an employee of an apartment building, reconsidering her relationship with Ray. Hannah's parents force therapy on her as a result of her sudden Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which is revealed to have started in high school.|
|19||9||"On All Fours"||Lena Dunham||Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner||March 10, 2013||0.68|
|Hannah's publisher puts major pressure on her, causing her relapsed OCD to spiral out of control. Hannah sticks a Q-tip too far down her ear and has to go to the hospital. Natalia is upset when Adam is forceful and degrading in bed. Marnie makes a small start for her passion to sing. Marnie and Charlie have sex. Shoshanna and Ray rekindle.|
|20||10||"Together"||Lena Dunham||Judd Apatow & Lena Dunham||March 17, 2013||0.63|
|Shoshanna and Ray's relationship quickly deteriorates, while Marnie and Charlie reunite following a heated brunch. Hannah faces a lawsuit if she does not finish her book and leaves Jessa an angry message. She and Adam reconnect.|
Season 3 (2014)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|21||1||"Females Only"||Lena Dunham||TBA||January 12, 2014||TBA|
|22||2||"Truth or Dare"||Lena Dunham||TBA||January 12, 2014||TBA|
|23||3||"She Said OK"||Jesse Peretz||TBA||January 19, 2014||TBA|
|24||4||"Dead Inside"||Jesse Peretz||TBA||January 26, 2014||TBA|
- Sepinwall, Alan (January 13, 2012). "HBO sets 'Game of Thrones' premiere date, plus 'Veep,' 'Girls' and 'Game Change'". HitFix. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Lambert, David (September 6, 2012). "Girls - HBO's Show by Lena Dunham and Judd Apatow is Announced for DVD and Blu-ray Disc". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- "Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD]". Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- "Girls: Season 1". Ezy DVD. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Lambert, David (May 10, 2013). "Girls - Lena Dunham's 'Complete 2nd Season' is Announced on DVD, Blu by HBO". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- "Girls - Season 2 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]". Amazon UK. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- "Girls: Season 2". Ezy DVD. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- "Girls – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 17, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Game of Thrones,' + 'Real Housewives ATL' 'Mad Men,' 'Khloe & Lamar,' 'The Client List' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 24, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Game of Thrones,' + 'Real Housewives ATL' 'Mad Men,' 'Veep,' 'The Client List' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (May 1, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Game of Thrones' Rises, Ties NBA Playoffs + 'Real Housewives,' 'The Client List,' 'Army Wives,' 'Mad Men' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 8, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs + 'Game of Thrones', 'The Client List', 'Army Wives,' 'Khloe & Lamar', 'Mad Men' + More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (May 15, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Game Of Thrones' Tops, 'Real Housewives NJ,' 'The Client List,' 'Khloe & Lamar,' 'Army Wives' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 22, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs, + 'Game of Thrones', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Ax Men', 'The Client List', 'Sister Wives', + More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (May 30, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs Win Night, 'Game of Thrones', 'Mad Men', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Girls', 'Pawn Stars', & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 5, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: NBA Playoffs + 'Game of Thrones' Finale, MTV Movie Awards, 'Sister Wives', 'The Glades', 'Longmire' + More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (June 12, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Mad Men', 'Longmire', 'The Client List', 'The Glades', 'Drop Dead Diva' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 19, 2012). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood', 'Falling Skies', 'Real Housewives of NJ', 'Keeping up with the Kardashians' + NASCAR & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "Sunday Cable Ratings:'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Wins Again, + 'Ax Men', 'Shameless', 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo', 'Shahs of Sunset' & More". TV by the Numbers. January 15, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (January 23, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Wins Night, 'Kourtney & Kim Take Miami', 'Ax Men,' 'Shameless', 'House of Lies' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 29, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' Wins Again + 'Ax Men', 'Kourtney and Kim Take Miami', 'Shameless' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- Yanan, Travis (February 5, 2012). "Saturday's Cable Ratings: Nickelodeon's "Victorious," "Marvin Marvin" Top Viewers". The Futon Critic. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- "Sunday Cable Ratings: ‘The Walking Dead’ Kills the Competition + ‘Talking Dead’, ‘Real Housewives of Atlanta’, ‘Live from the Red Carpet’ & More". Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Yanan, Travis (February 20, 2013). "Sunday's Cable Ratings: "Walking Dead" Holds Off NBA All-Star Game". The Futon Critic. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 26, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Walking Dead' Wins Night + 'Live From the Red Carpet', 'Ax Men', 'Bar Rescue', 'Shameless' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (March 5, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'The Walking Dead' Wins Night, 'The Bible, 'Vikings', 'Shameless', 'Real Housewives of Atlanta', 'Pawn Stars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 12, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'The Walking Dead' Wins Night + 'The Bible', 'Vikings', 'Real Housewives of Atlanta', 'The Client List' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "HBO's 'Girls' Season 2 Finale Averages 632,000 Total Viewers". Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Schedule results for "Girls"". HBO.com. Retrieved December 8, 2013.