List of High School DxD characters
The light novel, manga, and anime series High School DxD features a diverse cast of characters created by Ichiei Ishibumi and Miyama-Zero. The plot focuses on Issei Hyodo, a perverted young man attending Kuoh Academy who is killed by his first date, a Fallen Angel. He is later revived by Rias Gremory, a crimson-haired girl and school beauty who reveals herself as a devil. Issei soon discovers from her that he has been reborn as a Devil made to serve the Gremory Family of Devils, thus beginning his new life in the Occult Research Club (オカルト研究部 Okaruto Kenkyū-bu ). As of Volume 10, most of the main characters have moved into the Hyodo Residence.
- 1 Occult Research Club/Hyodo Residence
- 2 Kuoh Academy Students
- 3 Angels
- 4 Fallen Angels/Grigori
- 5 Devils
- 6 Mythological deities
- 7 Khaos Brigade
- 8 Dragons
- 9 Yōkai and other monsters
- 10 Other characters
- 11 Notes
- 12 References
Occult Research Club/Hyodo Residence
Issei Hyodo (兵藤 一誠 Hyōdō Issei )[n 1] is the main protagonist of the series. A second-year student at Kuoh Academy, he is a pervert who has a habit of fantasizing, and is well known for being creepy at the Academy, but, in contrast to this, he is also surprisingly hot-blooded and hard-working. His first girlfriend, Yuma, suddenly kills him, but Rias saves him and brings him back to life as a Devil of her own clan, making him a member of the Occult Research Club. His rank is "Pawn", and while his powers as a Devil are low-ranking, on his left arm he wields a Sacred Gear called "Boosted Gear". He works hard day and night for the sake of his master, the high-ranking Devil Rias. His goal is to one day rise in rank into a high-ranking Devil so that he can gather his own servants and create his own harem, becoming a "Harem King" (ハーレム王 Hāremu Ō ).
Despite the fact that he is a pervert, he attracts numerous girls around him: Rias, Asia, Akeno, Koneko, Xenovia, Irina and Ravel. This is due to him wanting to protect and help them despite almost dying at the hands of his opponents. He is oblivious to the girls around him being in love with him. Early on in the series, Rias explains the reason why she cannot have any more Pawns other than him is because she had to use all eight Pawn pieces to bring him back to life; the reason it took all eight Pawn pieces is because the more powerful someone is or has potential for, the more pieces it takes to resurrect them as a Devil and his Sacred Gear raises his potential very high.
In the light novels, it is revealed that Issei's Sacred Gear has more capabilities then what has been shown before. The Boosted Gear is actually a forbidden Gear which starts off as a gauntlet at its first stage. While training and mastering its powers, the Sacred Gear will begin to spread throughout the body as an armor. Once fully mastered, it is said to be able to kill a Maou or a God. This is because the gauntlet doubles the user's power every 10 seconds without limit, the only restriction being the user's own ability to handle the power. Hence why Angels, Fallen Angels, and Devils fear this power. Additional powers will be either unlocked or created based on the thoughts and feelings of the wielder as he/she uses and masters the Boosted Gear.
In Volume 4 of the light novels, prior to the meeting of the three factions, he receives St. George's Dragon Slayer sword, Ascalon, from Archangel Michael. Due to his training in the Underworld with former Dragon King, Tannin, he obtained great stamina that he can use when he gained his Balance Breaker, which he does during his fight with Kuroka where he gained full-access to his Balance Breaker. Issei has a tokusatsu show in the Underworld called Breast Dragon Emperor Oppai Dragon (乳龍帝おっぱいドラゴン Chichiryūtei Oppai Doragon ), which stars him as the main character named Issei Gremory (いっせい・グレモリー Issei Guremorī ) and is popular among the children.
Issei's Sacred Gear, "Boosted Gear" (赤龍帝の籠手（ブーステッド･ギア） Būsuteddo Gia , lit. "Red Dragon Emperor's Gauntlet"), is one of the Thirteen Longinus, where one of the Two Heavenly Dragons, Ddraig, the Red Dragon Emperor, resides. Issei is nowhere close to mastering his Sacred Gear, and as a result when he enters Juggernaut Drive, 99 percent of his lifespan is sacrificed, though Koneko is able to use her powers to slowly restore it. During Rias' Rating Game against Riser, Issei's Boosted Gear transformed to its second form, called the Boosted Gear Gift (赤龍帝からの贈り物(ブーステッド・ギア・ギフト) Būsuteddo Gia Gifuto , lit. "Gift of the Red Dragon Emperor") which allows him to transfer his boosted powers to other people or objects, or temporarily transfer powers or properties of people and objects to his gear to augment his own abilities. This ability was developed due to Issei's desire to help and protect his friends. Later, during Volume 5 of the light novels, the Sacred Gear augments the ability by blinking the jewel to indicate enough power has been charged up for the task he intends to use it for. This way time and power will not be wasted by using too little for the task, or exhausting him faster by using too much. During his fight against Vali, Issei placed one of Albion's jewels on his right gauntlet, resulting in the creation of the "Dividing Gear" (白龍皇の籠手（ディバイディング・ギア） Dibaidingu Gia , lit. "White Dragon Emperor's Gauntlet") which allows Issei to use the White Dragon Emperor's dividing powers. However due to it consuming Issei's lifespan, he was banned from using it by Azazel. Issei can also fire a beam of energy from his Boosted Gear by concentrating his magical powers, which he dubs the "Dragon Shot" (魔力弾（ドラゴンショット） Doragon Shotto , lit. "Magic Bullet").
Issei himself has also invented an array of techniques that go with his perverted nature. During the training in preparation for Rias' Rating Game against Riser, he invented the Dress Break (洋服崩壊（ドレス・ブレイク） Doresu Bureiku , lit. "Clothes Collapse"), which allows him to strip the clothes of females after touching them with his hand. While training for the Rating Game with Sona Sitri and the Student Council, he achieved a Buddhist's "enlightenment" by focusing on his desires rather than try to control or restrain them. This resulted in his inventing the attack "Bilingual" (乳語翻訳（パイリンガル） Bairingaru , lit. "Breast Translation"), which allows him to talk to the breasts of females and learn anything the opponent knows. He is the only one who can hear the breasts "talking", but it seems to connect to the opponent's heart and whatever asked is answered truthfully no matter how the opponent feels. Although perverse and restricted to females, this is a powerful (although not flashy) ability as he can learn everything about an enemy's powers, strategies, etc. as shown during the Rating Game with Sitri. He also used it on Diodora's pawns and Jeanne to find out their next moves, allowing him to come up with an unstoppable counter. However, due to its perverse nature and that it could only be used on women it was banned.
In Volume 8 of the novels, Ajuka Beelzebub, one of the Four Maous and the original creator of the Evil Pieces system, remodels Issei's Piece so that he can use Promotion anywhere and at any time. By using Promotion, he is able to use Knight, Rook, and Bishop ranks, and can achieve Illegal Move Triaina (赤龍帝の三叉成駒（イリーガル・ムーブ・トリアイナ） Irīgaru Mūbu Toriaina , lit. "Red Dragon Emperor's Three-Forked Promotion"), which makes Issei's Balance Breaker, the Boosted Gear Scale Mail (赤龍帝の鎧（ブーステッド・ギア・スケイルメイル） Būsuteddo Gia Sukeiru Meiru , lit. "Armor of the Red Dragon Emperor") armor, change to other forms using Promotion not on himself, but on the armor as well. However if separated from his Evil Pieces for whatever reason, he cannot use Promotion or the other forms, as those abilities are a combined result of the Evil Pieces working with his Sacred Gear and thus will not work without both. It is unknown whether he can promote himself to Queen while promoting the armor to something else or if he has to share whatever promotion is used on the armor. He can still promote himself without promoting the armor which he sometimes uses to preserve stamina, as promoting and using the promoted armor forms expends a lot of stamina, especially if he uses multiple armor promotions within a short period of time.
- In Knight Form, called Welsh Sonic Boost Knight (龍星の騎士（ウェルシュ・ソニックブースト・ナイト） Werushu Sonikku Būsuto Naito , lit. "Dragon Star Knight"), he possesses enormous speed that far surpasses Sairaorg's speed, but makes his armor thin, and so it has low defense.
- In Rook Form, called Welsh Dragonic Rook (龍剛の戦車（ウェルシュ・ドラゴニック・ルーク） Werushu Doragonikku Rūku , lit. "Rigid Dragon Tank"), he possesses massive power and defense, but has low speed because of the massive, thickened armor.
- In Bishop Form, called Welsh Blaster Bishop (龍牙の僧侶（ウェルシュ・ブラスター・ビショップ） Werushu Burasutā Bishoppu , lit. "Dragon Fang Monk"), he possesses an enormous amount of magical energy in which he applies it to the two cannons at the back of his armor which can both simultaneously fire the Dragon Blaster (ドラゴンブラスター Doragon Burasutā ), a severely boosted equivalent of his Dragon Shot capable of leveling battlefields and briefly warp space-time. The drawbacks to this is the amount of time it takes to charge the cannons and stamina lost with each shot. However, this can be replenished by Rias' "Oppai Beam".
- In Volume 10 of the light novels, he later gains access to a Queen Mode, called Cardinal Crimson Promotion (真紅の赫龍帝（カーディナル・クリムゾン・プロモーション） Kādinaru Kurimuzon Puromōshon , lit. "True Crimson Dragon Emperor") which is equally as powerful as Juggernaut Drive. Juggernaut Drive is similar to the full-bodied armor of the Boosted Gear, the Scale Mail, which gives him the Balance Breaker ability except the host (Issei) loses consciousness, the posture and shape changes from a humanoid Dragon-armored form to a dragon form, and Ddraig goes on a berserk rampage, rapidly eating up the host's lifeforce until death. He also has access to a form called "True Queen Mode", which combines the abilities developed in the other forms. So the more power and defense he develops in Rook form, the stronger the power and defense of True Queen Mode is. However, he has to develop the other modes somewhat equally or it will create an imbalance when combined. As such, until he gets better at stabilizing and using True Queen Mode, he will only be able to use and maintain it for short periods of time before it shuts down, leaving him exhausted. For the time being, he will train to build up and stabilize True Queen Mode and will just promote himself to Queen, but not the armor. Like the Bishop Form, there are two cannons he can charge (but at a faster rate with more power) and fire, but are connected to the armor's wings instead of his shoulders.
- Super Gigantic Balance Breaker (超巨大禁手) is a form Issei attained in Volume 12 by combining with Great Red. In this state, Issei is in his normal Scale Mail armor, but is an enormous giant the size of Great Red. He uses this form to destroy the largest of the thirteen beasts created by the Annihilation Maker, Jabberwocky. In this form, his powers are boosted to an extreme that he could literally destroy an area in the Underworld. For example, the Longinus Smasher that blasted Shalba away with one hit would not only kill Jabberwocky, but destroy that part of the Underworld Jabberwocky was standing on as well. However, Issei will not be able to use this form again unless Great Red returns and willingly combines with him again. The only reason Great Red did it at the time was because, according to him, he did not like the way Jabberwocky was glaring at him.
At the end of Volume 10 of the light novels, Issei confesses to Rias, calling her by her first name for the first time. She accepts his feelings in tears of joy and the two officially become a couple, although it seems none of the other girls (Akeno, Xenovia, Asia, Koneko, Irina, and Ravel) have given up on Issei. In Volume 11 of the light novels, Issei took a promotion test along with Akeno and Yuto to be promoted from low-ranked Devils to middle-ranked Devils, and Rias' mother suggests that Issei and Rias get married.
In Volume 12, Issei's original body is destroyed due to Samael's curse but gains another body through the help of Great Red and Ophis. Until his Evil Pieces were restored, he was essentially just a small True Dragon (Humanoid Dragon, later Dragon/Devil hybrid) and not part Devil. Due to the increased Dragon elements from Ophis and Great Red, his power base, magic ability, and stamina are stronger, but he is more susceptible to damage from Dragon Slayer spells or weapons. The only reason he can wield Ascalon is because all three factions modified it so he could. In Volume 14 it is revealed that his life force cannot be analysed due to his new body being made from Great Red and Ophis' power (which has never even been closely done before,) and his life force hasn't stabilized yet. This is because his life force either becomes zero (without killing Issei for some reason) or turns into infinite which can't be measured. The zero most likely represents illusion meaning Great Red and the infinite represents Ophis, though not even Azazel knows whats going on. Despite this, for unknown reasons his life force will stabilize in a 'normal' range for a while after having Rias and Akeno scatter his dragon power and Koneko using her senjutsu to heal his life force. Azazel says that this will stop his life force from overheating due it suddenly dropping to zero then increasing to infinite drastically. At the end of Volume 12, Issei is officially promoted into a Middle-Class Devil.
In the Volume 13 short story "The Worries of the Next, Next Heir" (which takes place after Volume 12), Issei is given a familiar, the living Norse flying ship Skithblathnir, by Surtr Second. Although it is only the size of a toy boat, according to Mathers, it will continue to grow and evolve into different forms by using the aura and imagination of its master as its source. Second also jokes that if Issei is going to become a harem king he needs a harem palace. With Issei as its master, it might grow into a flying harem palace. He later names it Ryuteimaru (龍帝丸 Ryūteimaru ) in Volume 14.
Rias Gremory (リアス・グレモリー Riasu Guremorī ) is the female protagonist of the series. A third-year student at Kuoh Academy and the Academy's top-ranking idol, Rias is known as one of the "Two Great Ladies" (駒王学園の二大お姉さま Kuō Gakuen no Nidai Onee-sama ) alongside Akeno Himejima. Known as the Crimson-Haired Ruin Princess (紅髪の滅殺姫（べにがみのルイン・プリンセス） Benigami no Ruin Purinsesu , lit. "Crimson-Haired Princess of Destruction") and the Princess of Destruction (滅殺姫 Mezatsu-hime ), she is the heir to one of the highest-ranking and famous Devil families, the Gremory Family (グレモリー眷属 Guremorī-kenzoku ). She earned the nickname because of her family's trademark crimson red hair, and is able to use the Power of Destruction by inheriting it from her mother, Venelana, who is a descendant of the house of Bael before becoming a Gremory through marriage.
She is enrolled in Kuoh Academy as an exchange student, but the truth is that she holds the power in the Academy, and is the President of the Occult Research Club which is made up of the Devils under her command, and her rank is "King". This is why they can use the club room (which is the old school building of Kuoh Academy) after dark while the Student Council is in charge during the day and keeps things running smoothly and peacefully. However, in addition to getting high scores at the school she also has to do homework, projects and assignments to receive credits at Demon School. This is required because a special exception was made for her and her servants to attend a human school. If she does not maintain her grades and credits at Demon School, the whole club will be sent to the Underworld to attend Demon School.
She is an invincible heroine who saw the power sleeping within Issei, and took a curious interest in him. To her dismay, the character Switch Princess in Oppai Dragon was based on and looks just like her, and is called the Crimson Bust Princess (紅髪の魔乳姫（クリムゾン・バスト・プリンセス） Kurimuzon Basuto Purinsesu , lit. "Crimson-Haired Magic Breast Princess") by Azazel.
In the light novels, it is revealed that her brother is, in fact, one of the Four Maous, Lucifer, and both of them possess the Power of Destruction that was inherited by their mother, who came from the House of Bael, which are famous for that power. She revives Issei after the latter was killed by the Fallen Angel Raynare, and becomes his master. She is both kind and soft to her servants, but becomes a completely different person when training or fighting. She is proud of her family's name, but she does not like being seen as Rias of the Gremory Family. The reason she wants to live in human world is because there, everyone sees her as just Rias, not as a Devil or the heir of the Gremory Family or as the Crimson-Haired Ruin Princess. It is also because of this reason Rias has rejected her engagement with Riser Phenix.
As the series progresses, Rias begins to develop strong feelings and eventually falls in love with Issei, which becomes more obvious after Issei defeats Riser, and becomes very jealous when he is surrounded by other girls. She moves into his house after Issei defeats Riser to end their engagement. Much later, Issei finally gets the chance to use his Booster Gear Gift power on her breasts, which gives her the ability to shoot "Oppai Beams" from her breasts from then on. These beams can replenish Issei's stamina and energy with every shot. While this does not seem to drain her energy or stamina, there is a side effect of her breasts shrinking with each shot so she won't be able to fire any more beams once she's flat. Fortunately, her breasts will return to normal after a good night's sleep. It is unknown if Akeno or the others would be able to shoot the beams as well, as Rias is the only one whose breasts have received the Booster Gear Gift.
Later, Rias' mother, Venelana, encourages her to push her relationship further with Issei (in which Rias would attempt to seduce Issei), but gets upset when Issei could not call her by her name. Eventually, Issei finally professes her love for her and calls Rias by her first name instead of President (部長 Buchō , lit. "Club President"). She cries tears of joy and tells him that she feels the same way and the two officially become a couple. Though it seems none of the other girls (Akeno, Xenovia, Asia, Koneko, Irina, and Ravel) have given up on Issei. She has also shown more tolerance towards Issei's dreams of becoming Harem King, even allowing everyone to make dates with Issei at the end of Volume 12 with the understanding that he will always return to her afterwards.
In Volume 14, Rias mastered a new finishing attack during her training with Akeno. She later leaves for Romania with Kiba and Azazel to know more about Gasper's ability.
Voiced by: Azumi Asakura (Japanese), Chloe Daniels (English)
Sister Asia Argento (アーシア・アルジェント Āshia Arujento ) is a nun whom Issei met while in town. She is a girl with a gentle heart who possesses a divine Sacred Gear, "Twilight Healing" (聖母の微笑(トワイライト・ヒーリング) Towairaito Hīringu , lit. "Smile of the Holy Mother"), in her body that is capable of healing the wounds of humans, Angels, Fallen Angels, and Devils alike, and takes the form of two rings inserted through her middle fingers. She started out as an orphan raised by the Church until her healing ability was discovered. Since then, she was called a Holy Maiden and was sequestered at a Church (for her "protection") where people seeking healing were brought to her. However, when it was discovered her ability could heal Devils as well as humans she was excommunicated and driven out of the church. The identity of the Devil she healed is discovered later as well as that she wasn't kicked out of the Church because her Sacred Gear could heal Devils, but because the knowledge that it could do so would have a severe negative impact on faith and "The System". Currently, she is very happy at being considered by Issei's parents to be their daughter and part of the family, and starts calling Rias "Onee-sama" (a formal way of saying "big sister") after the events in Volume 6 of the light novels.
Although still pure of heart, Asia is starting to bend on doing somewhat perverted things as she wants to win Issei's affections, but feels at a disadvantage compared to Rias. As a result, both she and Rias have started doing things together with Issei, such as the three of them bathing together or (the girls) sleeping nude while lying next to Issei in his bed. While this does open her up to blindly follow perverted advice from Xenovia or the perverted Kiriyu (who came up with Asia greeting Issei in a naked apron), she still embarrasses easily. Fortunately for her, between her embarrassment and Issei's desire to protect her, nothing real serious has happened between them, nor likely to anytime soon.
Early in the series when she first appeared, she was once under Fallen Angels' (led by Raynare) control, but after a certain turn of events, she became a Devil under Rias' control and transfers to Issei's class. Her rank among Rias' underlings is "Bishop". When Issei saved her from the Fallen Angels, she fell in love with him, and eventually (with interventions from their leader Rias,) moved in with him to live together at the Hyodo household. While the perverted side of Issei wants to do naughty things to her, his actual feelings towards Asia are a bit complicated, as he also sees himself as her protective guardian and knight, which in turn deters him from doing all sorts of perverted things to her that he fantasizes about. That and when he gets overstimulated he passes out from anemia due to extreme nosebleeds (one of the common joke themes many Japanese manga and anime writers use is that boys get nosebleeds in erotic/perverted situations).
Due to her pure-hearted nature, Asia was able to claim a baby Sprite Dragon as her pet and familiar whom she named Rassei, which combines Issei's name with raigeki (meaning "lightning strike"). Despite being revived as a Devil, Asia stills believes in God and tries to read the Bible and constantly prays to God, which results in her getting severe headaches, and was in shock when she found out that the God in the Bible is dead. However at the end of Volume 4 in the light novels, Issei asked the Archangel Michael to allow Asia and Xenovia to pray to God without them suffering damage, which was granted by creating an exception in "The System" for them. This was possible without creating issues in The System as both, despite being Devils and finding out God had died in the last war, are still very devout, would not be allowed to enter Church Headquarters anyway (since they're Devils), and would be only two minor exceptions created. While she and Xenovia can pray (or do a joint prayer with Irina) without receiving damage, it is unknown at this point whether they are allowed to read the Bible. However, they still retain a Devil's weakness to holy weapons and objects, such as when Xenovia received minor damage from Irina's cross when they hugged each other on Irina's first day as a new transfer student at the school.
While training for the Rating Game with Sona Sitri and the Student Council, Asia has increased her ability to use Twilight Healing so she can project her aura around her as green light. This allows her to spread out the healing so she can heal multiple people and multiple injuries simultaneously, although the effect is weaker compared to the more concentrated version conveyed through touch. During the Rating Game with Sona and the Student Council, she tried to use it to heal Issei, but Momo Hanakai, one of Sona's Bishops, stepped into the aura field and Reversed it into a damaging aura, eliminating them both instantly. Later she developed a method to shoot healing in the form of arrows and if it hits the enemy then it will be automatically cancelled.
In Volume 14, she makes a pact with Dragon King Fafnir after the latter broke his contract with Azazel, becoming a Dragon User (龍使い Ryūtsukai ).
Akeno Himejima (姫島 朱乃 Himejima Akeno ) is the Second-in-Command of the Gremory group. Known as the "Priestess of Thunder" (雷の巫女 Ikazuchi no Miko ), she is the Vice-President of the Occult Research Club, and her rank is "Queen". She is a beautiful girl who ranks second in popularity after Rias, and are both called the "Two Great Ladies of Kuoh Academy". Although she is a very gentle person, often saying "Oh my" (あらあら Ara ara ) or giggling, there are a lot of mysteries surrounding her, and Issei instinctively fears her during his first battles, as she gains a highly sadistic personality. This, combined with her lightning powers, has earned her the nicknames "The Ultimate Sadist" (究極のS Kyūkyoku no Esu ) by Rias and "The President's Hitman" (部長の懐刀 Buchō no Futokorogatana ) by Kiba.
She is the strongest member of the club after Rias and, as Queen, has all traits of Pawn, Knight, Bishop, and Rook. Akeno excels at using attacks made from magical powers and can use natural elements like lightning, ice, fire, and such. Up to Volume 3, she was known as the Priestess of Thunder because her personal magic as Rias' Queen was (normal) electricity shot out in thunderbolts. The priestess part of Akeno's nickname is probably due to her mother having been a shrine priestess while alive, Akeno (with permission provided through under-the-table methods) living in a shrine (whose last priest had died) owned by Rias, and wearing a priestess outfit often (when not in the school uniform). In Volume 4 of light novels after revealing her true identity to Issei, she eventually starts to use her holy powers from Volume 5 onwards after Issei's persuasion, and became to be known as the "Priestess of Thunder and Light" (雷光の巫女 Raikō no Miko ) or "Priestess of Lightning", as her personal power is now her previous thunder (normal electricity) ability combined with her Fallen Angel light (holy) powers creating Holy Lightning.
In the light novels, it is revealed that she was born from a human mother and a Fallen Angel father. As a child, Akeno was close to her mother, Shuri Himejima, and was in despair when her mother died, blaming her father, Baraqiel, one of the leaders of the Fallen Angels, for not being able to protect her mother. After the death of her mother, she stayed with her mother's relative before being kicked out (presumably due to her Fallen Angel blood) and eventually became Rias' servant. She is a friend close enough to call Rias by her name in private, yet calls her President in presence of others and displays a master-servant relationship in public. She persistently refuses to use her Holy Lightning powers due to not wanting to use the light attribute or anything else she inherited from her father, but starts using it after being convinced by Issei. In Volume 7 of the light novels, Akeno admitted that she loves her father but blames him because if she will not blame someone, she will mentally lose herself.
At first, Akeno first thinks of Issei as a cute kōhai and enjoys teasing him. During the events that led to the revelation of Akeno's identity, she falls in love with Issei after the latter says that while he hates Fallen Angels, he likes Akeno and could never hate her. He tells her that he never disliked the gentle side of her and knowing her past does not change his feelings, as he considers her having Fallen Angel blood to be irrelevant and that Akeno is Akeno. After that, her love for Issei really starts to blossom, so much that when he told her during the battle with Diodora that if she could beat their opponents with ease he'd take her out for a date, she practically radiated electricity. Although jealous of the other girls, she is willing to share as long Issei cares for her too, as shown when she once told Issei that she does not mind being third behind Rias and Asia.
During Volume 7 of the light novels, she becomes more unstable and shows a more fragile side of her to Issei right after fighting with her father. Though she offers herself to Issei for comfort, and Issei being seriously tempted, the latter refuses, believing that it will not help her resolve her issues with her father. During the battle with Loki, Issei uses his perverted powers to communicate with Akeno's breasts but summons a servant of the Breast God himself who helps Issei (due to Issei's devotion to breasts) reveal Akeno's true inner thoughts to Baraqiel, Akeno and Issei. After the battle, both father and daughter reconcile and Baraqiel finally accepts (albeit with slight hesitation) Akeno's attraction to Issei. Akeno gives her first kiss to Issei in Volume 7's epilogue.
Akeno has a tendency to express her love for Issei by seducing him in a perverted manner, which angers all the girls that like him. She especially likes scattering Issei's Dragon Power in a perverted manner to get a reaction from him. (Done by her or Rias sucking the Dragon Power out of his fingers every three days or else his arm will stay a Dragon Arm/Gauntlet that he can't revert to human.) In Volume 14 she reveals a new move using the ki she absorbed from Issei, Raikouryuu (Holy-lightning Dragon) which creates an Eastern Dragon made of Holy-Lightning that even acts like it can think for itself. This can also apply to her demonic powers as well since the fire and ice attacks she used during the battle in Volume 14 also took the form of Eastern Dragons too. Although they weren't noted as being special attacks or whether or not the attacks only took on the power and form of a dragon or acted as if alive.
Due to her Fallen Angel heritage, Akeno not only gained beauty (some of the jobs female Fallen Angels do requires seducing men, although Azazel feels she seems to have surpassed the normal level of Fallen Angel beauty), but seems to get an additional thrill by the concept of cheating on Rias with him along with seducing Issei in front of (or deliberately getting caught in the middle by) Rias. Her feelings are definitely genuine as she almost completely shut down emotionally when they thought Issei had died at the end of Volume 11, and did not protest at all when her father, whom she blames for her mother's death, visited her during that time. She moves into the Hyodo Residence at the end of Volume 4. In Volume 11 of the light novels, Akeno, Issei and Yuto took a promotion test to become Middle-Class Devils. During the events of Volume 12, Akeno gains access to her Fallen Angel Mode (堕天使モード Datenshi Mōdo ), which gives her six black wings and drastically increases her Holy Lightning abilities (although she needs Azazel's special bracelets to do so in the beginning, but is training to do so at will without them). At the end of Volume 12, Akeno is officially promoted into a Middle-Class Devil.
Koneko Toujou (塔城 小猫 Tōjō Koneko ) is a first-year student at Kuoh Academy who serves as the school's unofficial mascot due to her cute loli appearance. Despite her petite size, she is the "Rook" of Rias' group, boasting extreme physical strength and endurance, and the capability to lift heavy objects and throw them as weapons with little effort. The quiet and cool-headed member of the club, she rarely shows any emotion at all, and often says harsh things and hits Issei whenever he is doing or thinking something perverted. She is almost always seen eating something (most commonly youkan) when not in action. It is later revealed in Volume 5 that she is a two-tailed Nekomata, a cat demon, and that her real name is Shirone (白音). When she became Rias' Rook, Rias gave her the name "Koneko", literally meaning "kitten", hinting at her species.
In Volume 5 of the light novels, it is revealed that she was about to be executed by the devils after her sister, Kuroka, killed her own master. Sirzechs Lucifer, one of the Four Maous, protected her, and left her under his sister, Rias', care - becoming her servant. She refused to use the power of senjutsu because she did not want to become like her sister, but she later overcame this fear along with Akeno after Issei made her overcome her own powers. Koneko, however, is not fully efficient in using her senjutsu like her sister, and is training to improve them. She shows the most concern for her comrades when they are in trouble.
Later on, she experiences a change in her personality, and starts acting like a cat or showing emotions of love towards Issei. After Volume 5 of the light novels, she constantly uses her Nekomata ability of senjutsu on his body to help him regain some of his life that was lost when he went into Juggernaught Drive. Although she still chastises him when he acts perverted, she has started acting more like a cat in various ways, such as sitting in his lap with her ears and tail out or meowing. However, this has prompted her body to go into "heat" too early due to jealousy of how close the other girls are to Issei. This is dangerous as she is still too small to safely give birth to a child and her mind hasn't matured enough to handle the stress of conceiving, carrying and giving birth to a child. Issei was advised for her safety to restrain himself from having sex with her until her mind matures more and she grows up enough to safely give birth. Fortunately for his sanity, Kuroka was able to "turn off the heat" with a neck poke so Koneko no longer feels the biological rush to have Issei's child, although she still cares for him and gets jealous when the other girls get intimate with him. Hitting him or making scathing comments when he acts perverted still continues along with when he makes thoughtless comments that could be associated with her, such as when he said he was not interested in short girls after Azazel told the others that he'd gotten friendly with the nine-tailed fox's daughter, Kunou, when they got back from the Kyoto trip. She moves into the Hyodo Residence at the end of Volume 5. Her familiar is a small white cat (kitten?) named Shiro (シロ), which is a shortened version of her original name.
Yuto Kiba (木場 祐斗 Kiba Yūto ) is a second-year student at Kuoh Academy. He is a gentle swordsman and the school's prince whose rank in the Occult Research Club is "Knight", possessing the ability to move at incredibly high speeds. Although he calls himself Issei's friend, he is almost the complete opposite of the latter, sporting good looks, intelligence, and a pretty nice personality. However due to the events in his past, he bears an immense hatred towards the Holy Swords, as well as about everything and everyone associated with them. Much to Issei's dismay, the pairing of him and Yuto has become a hot topic between the girls in the academy.
In the light novels, it is revealed that he was a victim of the Holy Sword Project, where he was the only sole survivor. He became Rias' servant when she saved him from death, and swore to exact his revenge on those who treated him as a test subject and disposed of his friends. As a result, he also harbors a great hatred towards the Holy Sword Excalibur. However thanks to Issei, he can truly let go of his rage. He treats Issei as his best friend and close comrade which has led many of the school's female student to wonder if the two are in a BL relationship. However, while Issei considers Yuto a comrade, sparring partner and fellow defender, he is still jealous of Yuto's ability to attract favorable female attention by sight alone. That and Issei gets extremely uncomfortable when Yuto expresses feelings of camaraderie in easily misunderstood ways, such as wanting a date with Issei too when the girls all declared the order of who was going on a date with Issei.
Yuto's Sacred Gear, "Sword Birth" (魔剣創造（ソード・バース） Sōdo Bāsu , lit. "Creation of the Demonic Sword"), has the ability to create Demonic Swords like the Holy Eraser (a sword that devours light) or Flame Delete (an ice blade that negates fire attacks). He later gains his Balance Breaker, called "Sword of Betrayer" (双覇の聖魔剣（ソード・オブ・ビトレイヤー） Sōdo obu Bitoreiyā , lit. "Holy Demonic Sword of Dual Supremacy), which is a fusion between a Demonic Sword and a Holy Sword, during the fight with Freed after he "merged" his Sacred Gear with the spirits of his fallen comrades who were the victims of the Holy Sword Project. The creation of Yuto's Sword of Betrayer became possible after both God and Maou died in the previous war, thus ending the balance between Holy and Demonic powers and allowing the "Holy Demonic Sword" (聖魔剣 Seimaken ) to become possible. Yuto also has a second Sacred Gear, "Blade Blacksmith" (聖剣創造（ブレード・ブラックスミス） Burēdo Burakkusumisu , lit. "Creation of the Holy Sword), and a sub-species Balance Breaker called "Glory Drag Trooper" (聖覇の竜騎士団（グローリィ・ドラグ・トルーパー Gurōryi Doragu Torūpā , lit. "Supreme Holy Dragon Knight Army"), which creates an army of Dragon Knights (竜騎士団 Ryūkishi-dan ), each having Dragon Slayer abilities.
In Volume 11 of the light novels, Yuto took a promotion test along with Issei and Akeno to become middle-class Devils. In Volume 12, Yuto defeats Siegfried (losing one of his arms in the process) after Gram, one of Siegfried's Demon Swords, leaves him and chooses Yuto as its new wielder. Afterwards, the other Demonic Swords chose him as well. At the end of the same volume, Yuto is also officially promoted into a Middle-Class Devil. His familiar has the appearance of a small bird, but there are no further details as Issei did not want to know anything about it because it's Yuto's familiar.
Xenovia (ゼノヴィア Zenovia ) is a young woman from the Roman Catholic Church and a Holy Sword wielder who wields the Holy Sword Excalibur Destruction (the original had broke into seven fragments, Excalibur Destruction is one of the swords created from a fragment through alchemy). First appearing in Volume 3 of the light novels, she was sent by the Church along with Irina to retrieve and destroy the stolen Excalibur swords. Calm and collected, she only speaks when it is necessary and prefers not to get involved into problems that do not concern her. While a faithful member of the Church, her beliefs are flexible enough to accept help from a Dragon such as accepting a free lunch (after Irina spent all their money on a fake painting of a Saint), and wants to not only accomplish their mission, but survive afterwards as well. Unlike Irina who is an artificial Excalibur user, she is a natural-born Excalibur and Durandal user, which is evidenced by her being the sole wielder of the Holy Sword Durandal and being able to wield Excalibur without receiving the holy element like Irina did. This was a surprise to many since Excalibur users could be artificially created like Irina and Freed were, but nobody had discovered a way to create an artificial Durandal user.
The name of her sword is "Excalibur Destruction" (破壊の聖剣（エクスカリバー・デストラクション） Eksukaribā Desutorakushon , lit. "Holy Sword of Destruction"), which has the ability to unleash pure, destructive power that can easily shatter anything it comes into contact with. After she finds out that the God in the Bible has died in the war, she decides to join the Occult Research Club as Rias' servant, becoming her second Knight. She tries to seduce Issei whenever she can because she wants to give birth to a strong baby. She shares a very close relationship with Asia, as she is touched by the latter's kindness, and later apologizes to her for calling her a witch.
As the series progresses, it is shown that Xenovia has romantic feelings for Issei due to his determination to protect his comrades even if he gets injured by doing so. She also emits a scary aura whenever the other girls are getting more closer to him. She later moves into the Hyodo Residence in Volume 4. As she was raised in a church, she lacks common sense that normal people would have, shown when she once took a box of condoms to school. In Volume 9, Xenovia has her Durandal upgraded into the Ex-Durandal (エクスデュランダル Ekusu-Dyurandaru ), which is the fusion of Durandal and the fragments of the Excaliburs molded into a sheath in order for Xenovia to better control its powers. The sheath can also transform into one of the seven Excaliburs, as shown by Rossweisse in Volume 9. The Ex-Durandal was shattered by Cao Cao's True Longinus in Volume 11, but is repaired and fully completed in Volume 12 after gaining the final Excalibur fragment that was wielded by Arthur Pendragon. While the Ex-Durandal has the combined abilities of the fragments, she is focusing on being a power-type fighter, using just the destructive force instead of becoming a technique-type using all the abilities, saying it is because she is stupid and it technique-type be too complicated for her. However, Kiba is planning to ask Rias to force her to learn because their group need more technique-type fighters. Most of the group are power-type fighters, who are very susceptible to technique attacks such as the ones used by Cao Cao to inflict damage on Issei while nullifying or redirecting Issei's attempts to counter-attack.
Currently, she is happily living in the Hyodo Residence and experiencing things she couldn't in the strict environment of the Church. She is deeply touched by Asia's kindness and forgiveness despite the cruel things she said when they first met, and strongly wants to protect their friendship. Due to spending a lot of time praying and talking with Asia and Irina, the three have been dubbed the "Church Trio" (教会トリオ Kyōkai Torio ) by Issei. She and Asia can now pray without injury thanks to Issei asking Michael to alter the system to allow them to do so. Although they can pray alone or with Irina, it is unknown if they can read the Bible now. Due to being Devils, they still receive damage from holy weapons and items, such as Holy Water and consecrated crosses.
Irina Shido (紫藤 イリナ Shidō Irina ) is Issei's childhood friend. The more outgoing of the duo, Irina is a devout Christian (to be specific, a Protestant), and always prays before fighting or killing. She actually harbors a crush on Issei, but becomes shocked when she found out that he not only has become a Devil, but perverted as well, though she still loves him despite these flaws. Like Xenovia, she is a Holy Sword user (albeit an artificially created and not a natural user) who possesses one of the seven Excaliburs, called "Excalibur Mimic" (擬態の聖剣（エクスカリバー・ミミック） Eskukaribā Mimikku , lit. "Holy Sword of Mimicry"), which has the ability to transform itself into any shape its user desires (in her hands, it becomes a katana). She loses her Excalibur when it was broken back into a fragment after Freed stole it to use as part of a four-fragment fused Excalibur. The fragment was returned to the Church which later combined it with the other fragments to form a sheath around Durandal to help Xenovia control her sword, as it did not always listen to her despite her being its wielder. In addition, this also allows Durandal and Excalibur to strongly boost the power of each other beyond the sum of their parts. This ability was first discovered when a similar thing happened during the battle with Diodora's servants when Xenovia wielded Ascalion and Durandal together.
After finding out that the God in the Bible is dead from Michael, she still follows the Church's teachings (although the shock knocked her out for seven days and seven nights). Even after being promoted to Angel by the Archangel Michael, she still has dirty thoughts about herself and Issei, deciding to whether or not to have his babies which puts her at risk of becoming a Fallen Angel. She later moves into the Hyodo Residence in Volume 6 as a representative of the Angel faction. Her ranking as an Angel is "Ace", and as an Angel, she can use/create light-based weapons such as light spears. She uses these after becoming an Angel since her Excalibur Mimic had been reduced to being a fragment after the battle with Freed. Later on, she switches to a Holy Demonic Sword as her preferred weapon once the Church is able to produce them. This is not one of the swords Kiba made, but is one the Church had developed and mass-produced from studying the Holy Demonic Sword Kiba gave them (although their copy is weaker than the original) as part of the alliance treaty. This version has been altered to allow Angels, namely her, use it without issue, similar to how the Holy Dragon Slayer sword Ascalon was altered to allow Issei to not only use it, but store in his Dragon-type Sacred Gear.
Like Xenovia, she lacks common sense, such as the time she spent all their money on a fake painting the seller "swore" was that of a Saint. This is despite no one, not even her, being able to tell which Saint it was supposed to be of. Or her reaction to the time when she caught Xenovia and Asia seducing Issei in a sports shed and protested, not because they were doing something dirty, but because the location was too dirty to be doing such a thing. After an incident of Issei falling on and groping her breasts while at Kyoto, she is seriously considering having a relationship and a child with Issei, but is troubled that in doing so will cause her to "fall" and become a Fallen Angel. Meanwhile, she is also living in the Hyodo Residence and happy at being able to be friends with everybody, especially Issei, despite the fact she is an Angel, Azazel (and technically Akeno) a Fallen Angel, and the rest Devils whose factions had a preferred "terminate with extreme prejudice" view of the others. Due to praying often (and daily) with Asia and Xenovia, this has led Issei to call the three girls the "Church Trio" (教会トリオ Kyōkai Torio ) when they pray together.
Gasper Vladi (ギャスパー・ヴラディ Gyasupā Vuradi ) is a cross-dressing Dhamphir, a vampire with human blood, who first appears in Volume 4 of the light novels. His Sacred Gear, "Forbidden Balor View" (停止世界の邪眼（フォービドウン・バロール・ビュー） Fōbidoun Barōru Byū , lit. "The Evil Eye that Stops the World"), has the ability to stop the time of those he sees but is unable to control it. As a result, he is sealed by Rias as ordered by the elders prior to the series until he has grown up enough to control it. He still shows a lack in full command of his power, but can significantly improve a lot by drinking Issei's blood (as a result becoming very attached to the latter). This is important as it seems his Sacred Gear draws closer and closer to Balance Breaker state while he sleeps which can create chaos if he still hasn't learned how to fully control it when he reaches that state. Gasper is extremely nervous around people and prefers to shut himself in. He also has a penchant with boxes, and is always to able to produce one from nowhere to hide in. Being a half-vampire, Gasper has the ability to command bats, which he uses for reconnaissance. He has overcome the vampires' aversion to garlic to the point where he really likes it. Due to being a member of a unique Vampire clan of daywalkers, he not only does not burst into flames in sunlight or put to sleep, but receives no damage or pain from it.
Gasper is a child of a Vampire Lord and a human woman, and thus is hated by many of his own clan, including his siblings, mainly due to the Vampires discriminating which is stronger than the other races. Other than the father being from the Vladi bloodline of Daywalkers, there has been little told about the history or current condition of either. Eventually, he was chased out of his house and was targeted by vampire hunters who killed him. It was around that time Rias found him and, taking pity on the boy, reincarnated him into a Devil through a use of a Bishop Mutation Piece.
In Volume 11, Gasper goes to the Grigori headquarters to increase his powers. He returns in Volume 12, disappointed that he gained nothing as the Grigori lacked the means to "trigger" the next tier of his powers. However, when he heard about Issei's death from Georg who mocked Issei's sacrifice, this caused Gasper to undergo a change where he can create an enormous amount of darkness that literally devours everything (even the mist created by Dimension Lost), which allows him to defeat Georg. During this change, the darkness created was flowing from him and covered everything around him, which could devour anything he wanted it to, including magic attacks, Georg, mist, and even magic circles, although where anything devoured "went" is unknown. Anything covered in darkness could also form red eyes from which he could freeze things with Forbidden Balor View. Later in the fight, he turned the shadows into grotesque parodies of creatures like one-eyed wolves and five-winged birds to swarm Georg. The fear of this power was the main reason he was bullied and cast out by his clan, his mixed heritage and Forbidden Balor View were just additional, but more minor, public reasons.
Although Rias intends on talking to the Vladi clan about this, she is worried that they will continue to refuse to talk to her still and she has few ways of encouraging cooperation. Especially as vampires do not get along well with Devils and have a strict, pure-blooded aristocracy who are so arrogant that not even a single family has ever cared about their servants even a tenth of much as the Gremory family has cared for their servants. Also, any vampire with a human in their parentage, whether humans-turned vampires or are descended from one, are never allowed to become nobles and considered substandard members of the species, assuming they're even considered vampires in the first place.
Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama
Azazel (アザゼル Azazeru , עזאזל) is the Governor General of the Fallen Angels with twelve jet black wings and one of the teachers in Kuoh Academy, first appearing in Volume 4 of the light novels. He is interested in the Sacred Gears and gathers a vast amount of Sacred Gears to study. According to Sirzechs Lucifer, Azazel dislikes fighting, which was the reason why the Fallen Angels were the first to retreat from the war.
He is very laid back and relaxed, and he also likes to play a lot of jokes (such as hiring Issei to do simple tasks like playing video games with him for a reward like gold bars or jewels). He met up with the leaders of the Devils and Angels in Volume 4 of the novels to form a truce. He lost his left arm to Katerea Leviathan when they fought, as Katerea made indestructible tentacles that wrapped Azazel's left hand, claiming that they will explode; Azazel nonchalantly cuts off his own left hand, which he soon replaces with a prosthetic arm made from his Sacred Gear research. Azazel has a self-made artificial Sacred Gear that is used to seal Fafnir, the Golden Dragon and one of the five Dragon Kings.
Azazel's artificial Sacred Gear, "Down Fall Dragon Spear" (墮天龍の閃光槍（ダウン・フォール・ドラゴン・スピア） Daun Fōru Doragon Supia , lit. "Flash Spear of the Fallen Dragon"), takes the form of a jewel, as its core and its exterior are fragile, and forcefully activates its Balance Breaker, the Down Fall Dragon Another Armor (墮天龍の鎧（ダウン・フォール・ドラゴン・アナザー・アーマー） Daun Fōru Doragon Anazā Āmā , lit. "Armor of the Fallen Dragon"), which creates a Golden Dragon Armor that is similar to Issei and Vali's Scale Mail. He also has a second artficial Sacred Gear called the "Blazer Shining Aura Darkness Blade" (閃光と暗黒の龍絶剣(ブレイザー・シャイニング・オア・ダークネス・ブレード) Bureizā Shainingu Oa Dākunesu Burēdo , lit. "Dragon-Slicing Sword of Light and Darkness"). He later becomes the Occult Research Club's advisor.
In Volume 12, Azazel resigns from his post as Governor General of the Fallen Angels, which is now succeeded by Shemhazai, and became Grigori's Advisor of Special Technology and supervisor for Issei's town.
Rossweisse (ロスヴァイセ Rosuvaise ) is a Valkyrie who excels in Norse magic, first appearing in Volume 5 of the light novels. Originally Odin's bodyguard, she is the one who always stop him from doing dirty things; however in retaliation, Odin always tease her for being a Valkyrie that has no boyfriend. After the battle with Loki and Fenrir, Odin leaves her in Issei's town and later gets persuaded by Rias to become her servant, her ranking being "Rook" alongside Koneko, and remains in Kuoh Academy as a teacher. Although the obvious reason Odin left her is to get away from her, but considering Rias had all the materials at hand for her enlistment pitch, its possible he discussed the matter with Rias under the table and wanted to remove any possible objections Rossweisse might use to say no. After all, he mentioned due to the decrease in heroes that fewer and fewer Valkyries were needed or sought. With Rossweisse in the group she gets better pay, is representing the Norse in a popular and rising group, and likely (albeit unknowingly) is being used as the Norse representative Odin mentioned sending over to exchange cultures, not to mention Odin can now hire a new, inexperienced Valkyrie to attend him without having to leave Rossweisse to the wolves. Unlike most of the female characters who already have a crush on Issei, she is still figuring out if she likes him or not. She is extremely bitter on the fact that she does not have a boyfriend, and gets angry when she is made fun of that. Odin uses this several times to knock the wind out of her when she is protesting or interfering with him doing something vulgar. She has a tendency to buy things at sales when they're cheap, allowing Issei to coin for her the nickname "The 100-Yen Shop Valkyrie" (100均ヴァルキリー). This also shows during the Kyoto trip when Issei used dress break on her so he could peep on the female students in the hot springs by her getting mad and lecturing him about destroying her clothes before getting embarrassed about being naked. She moves into the Hyodo Residence in Volume 8. She left to train with a Norse mage she knows in Volume 11 and returns in Volume 12 after learning new, powerful defensive spells along with how to combine them with the defensive traits of Rook. Thus, gaining enough power to defend against Balance Breakers and even the equivalent of 10x the damage that Heracles' Balance Breaker can create. In Volume 14 both the Gremory and Sitri groups are surprised to hear her speak in an unpolished, country voice while talking to her grandmother in her homeland. Also, its noted that part of the reason she is so concerned about money is that she has been sending money over to her grandmother, to help out since the area her hometown is in is described as having nothing and essentially barren. She is currently pursuing two goals, the first is to create a school to teach devils how to become Valkyries, and the second is to open a discount store that carries everything in her homeland.
Voiced by: Asuka Nishi (Japanese), Brittney Karbowski (English)
Ravel Phoenix (レイヴェル・フェニックス Reiveru Fenikkusu ) is the younger sister of Riser Phoenix and a former member of his team. First appearing in Volume 2 of the light novels, she is a Bishop who has yet to reveal her true powers. She follows her brother's authority to a full degree, as she sees that there is no one who can defeat him. Just like her brother, Ravel is also a Phenix. After seeing her brother's defeat at the hands of Issei, she becomes infatuated with him (albeit with tsundere tendencies), and later transfers to his school so she can spend more time with him.
Before knowing Issei, when Ravel was young she has great admiration towards hero stories told by her butler. She always dreams of becoming a woman who can become a support for her ideal hero till she slowly forgets her dreams without realizing as she gradually grows older. During Riser's engagement party, seeing Issei fighting for the sake of the woman he loves, Ravel's dream naturally came back to her along with curiosity to understand everything about him.
Later on as the story continues, she falls in love with him completely, and does not mind becoming his concubine so long as she can be with him. She is currently a "free" Bishop since she traded herself to her mother's team (who does not participate in Rating Games) for one of her mother's unused Bishop pieces. It is likely she will trade herself to become one of Issei's Bishops when he gains peerage, as she wants to be of use to Issei. She moves into the Hyodo Residence in Volume 10 and enrolls in Kuoh Academy as a first-year student, alongside Koneko and Gasper. She is in Koneko's class at school and despite the two of them bickering often (paying homage to the vitriolic relationship between cats and birds, given their species), they are very close friends. Currently, she is one of Issei's managers (alongside Grayfia) and had been tutoring him so he could pass the written part of the exam to become a Middle-Class Devil. During the events of Volume 12, the Phoenix family indicates that not only are they going to allow her to "stay" at Issei's house to "attend school", but are hoping an intimate relationship forms between him and her for various reasons.
Ophis (オーフィス Ōfisu ) is one of the two Dragons that is said to be more powerful than God and Maou. Known to others as the Ouroboros Dragon (無限の龍神（ウロボロス・ドラゴン） Uroborosu Doragon ) and the Infinite Dragon God (無限の龍神 Mugen no Ryūshin ), Ophis is the founder and leader of the Khaos Brigade and the second most powerful Dragon after Great Red. Ophis created the Khaos Brigade in hopes of getting rid of Great Red, another Divine Dragon, from the Dimensional Gap. However, she was betrayed by Cao Cao who stole her power under the intention of creating another Ophis, rendering her in a presumed powerless state. Cao Cao, however, underestimated Ophis, as she has released her powers in forms of snakes before Cao Cao came to steal her powers. As such, Ophis did not lose most of her powers. Like Great Red, Ophis does not like to interfere in the matters of the world, having interest only in Great Red. As such, she is more of a figurehead than a leader of the Khaos Brigade, and any plans or acts not pertaining to Great Red were by the will of the members, not hers.
In Volume 12, she is rescued by Great Red and helped him in restoring Issei's body. The two seem interested in Issei, and both were saying "Zoom Zoom Iyaaan" after the battle with the Jabberwocky to Issei and Ddraig's dismay. Although she does not say it, she is probably very fond of Issei, as he is her first friend and had offered her a home in his house in Volume 11. This is a big deal as she had helped protect Asia and Irina later in the volume simply because they had tea and played cards together. According to Issei, Orphis is not evil, just naïve and did not mind being used by the Khaos Brigade, as they had promised to kill Great Red for her. Currently, the faction heads have used numerous seals to hide her presence. This is to avoid upsetting members of their factions and hide her from the remaining members of the Khaos Brigade. Even with the power stolen from her, they are aware that she is too powerful to control, but are allowing her to stay with Issei to encourage the interest she seems to be showing for him. She later moves into the Hyodo Residence at the end of Volume 12 to continue "observing" Issei, saying she has a vested interest in him as a part of her was used to recreate Issei's body with Great Red's flesh. Currently, she seems to be welcoming the feeling of having an actual home and friends, even to the point of not attempting to do any significant damage to Great Red other than kicking him during the time she and Issei were riding his back.
As her title implies, Ophis represents the infinite.
Kuoh Academy Students
Kuoh Academy (駒王学園 Kuō Gakuen ) is the school where all the protagonists go to. It was previously an all-girls private school that turned into the coed school few years before the storyline. It is administrated by the Sitri Family in the day and the Gremory Family in the night. The known clubs in the school are the Occult Research Club (オカルト研究部 Okaruto Kenkyū-bu ) run by Rias Gremory, the Student Council (生徒会 Seito-kai ) run by Sona Sitri, the Tennis Club (テニス部 Tenisu-bu ) run by Kiyome Abe, and the Kendo Club (剣道部 Kendō-bu ).
- Sona Sitri (ソーナ・シトリー Sōna Shitorī ) / Sona Shitori (支取 蒼那 Shitori Sōna )
- Voiced by: Natsumi Takamori (Japanese), Marie Charlson (English)
- Sona is the Student Council President in Kuoh Academy, the next heir of the Sitri Family, and Rias' childhood friend and rival. Her real name is Sona Sitri, while Sona Shitori is her alias at Kuoh Academy. Sona wears glasses and is the third most popular girl in school, behind Rias and Akeno. She resurrected Saji to be her Pawn with the use of 4 Pawn pieces. Her peerage consists of only females, except for Saji who is the only male. She specializes in using water-based magic, and is an excellent strategist whose Rating Game specialty is the Technique type. This is advantageous against Rating Game Kings who specialty is the Power type (like Rias), as techniques can be used to either prevent an attack from hitting, trap an opponent, or turn a Power user's attack back against them. Like how Tsubaki's Mirror Alice reflected Xenovia's powerful strike back at her with Tsubaki's power added to it. Sona dreams of opening a school on Rating Games for all Devils, regardless of their rank and status.
- In the Rating Game with the Occult Research Club, she earned much acclaim by outplanning and turning the Gremory's power against them to eliminate several pieces. Her power, inherited through the Sitri family line, specializes in using and manipulating water with the added bonus of being able to draw upon any large amounts of water in the area to supplement her abilities. Most likely why her spell (both teleporting and magic) circles glow blue and her sister Serafall is extremely adept with ice as well. Although Sona seems to only be able to control large amounts of water (or the water element in her spells), in combat as she was able to regenerate her water shield by drawing upon all the water in the mall, but did not attempt to control the water within the bodies of the Gremory team members. Although in an anime special extra episode, she was able to use her water magic on a small scale to combine magic, water, and the ingredients for a superb noodle dish. However, doing it on such a small scale requires intense focus and concentration; if she is distracted even for a moment, it can warp the spell, including the food, in unexpected ways. She still retains 3 unused Pawn pieces, but is currently negotiating with a couple of people to fill the remaining Rook and Knight positions, whom she later found in Loup Garou and Bennia in Volume 14. Although Bennia wasn't her first choice for a Knight, she hadn't been able to arrange a meeting with the person she was originally considering. During the battle in Volume 14, Issei notes that her brain is in a completely different zone and that he doesn't want to fight another Rating Game with Sitri Group again.
- Tsubaki Shinra (真羅 椿姫 Shinra Tsubaki )
- Voiced by: Akiko Kimura (Japanese), Lauren Allison (English)
- The Vice-President of the Student Council and Souna's Queen. Her relationship with Souna is similar to that of Rias and Akeno. She is the fourth most popular girl in the school, and also wears glasses. She is a master swordsman who faced against both Yuto and Xenovia on separate occasions during their Rating Game. While she manages to defeat Xenovia, she failed to gain the upper hand against Yuto by sword skills alone. Her Sacred Gear, Mirror Alice (追憶の鏡（ミラー・アリス） Mirā Arisu , lit. "Mirror of Recollection"), reflects double damage but cannot be summoned twice in a row without a cooldown period. After losing to Yuto at the Rating Game between their masters, she develops a huge crush on him. Also like him, she seems to prefer fighting with just swords and her Sacred Gear while leaving magic attacks to her group's King and Bishops. Her magic level should be higher than average as her group's Queen.
- Genshiro Saji (匙 元士郎 Saji Genshirō )
- Voiced by: Yūichi Iguchi (Japanese), Kyle Phillips (English)
- The Student Council Secretary and Sona's Pawn who became a Devil through the use of 4 Pawn pieces used by the latter. He is an inferior rival to Issei and is jealous of his relationship with the women of the Occult Research Club, especially with its president Rias. He is in love with Souna, expressing a desire to sleep with her and "accidentally" impregnate her so that they would get married. He is very supportive of Sona's dreams, stating that her dreams are his dreams. So much so that in the Rating Game with the Occult Research Club, he tapped into his life force to power up his abilities and inflict serious damage on Issei before losing their one-on-one duel, but gaining recognition from the VIPs watching the Game. He plans on helping fulfill Sona's dream by becoming a teacher. However, he is extremely jealous of Issei's relationship with his master, Rias, being called by name by Sona, and having ecchi encounters with beautiful girls while he (Saji) is not even registering on Sona's radar as a potential boyfriend.
- He is in possession of a Sacred Gear called "Absorption Line" (黒い龍脈（アブソーブション・ライン） Absōrpushon Rain , lit. "Black Dragon Pulse"), which holds the soul of Vritra, the Black Dragon and one of the Five Dragon Kings. Originally it was split up into four individual pieces with him only having a portion of it, but eventually Azazel gathers all the pieces and combines them together for Saji. His three remaining Sacred Gears are "Blaze Black Flare" (邪龍の黒炎（ブレイズ・ブラック・フレア） Bureizu Burakku Furea , lit. "Evil Dragon's Black Flame"), "Delete Field" (漆黒の領域（デリート・フィールド） Derīto Fīrudo , lit. "Domain of Darkness"), and "Shadow Prison" (龍の牢獄（シャドウ・プリズン） Shadō Purizun , lit. "Dragon Prison"). Saji is far from being able to control the power of Vritra, and would usually go out of control when used extensively. In Volume 7, it is revealed that Saji can enter into a Dragon King form called "Vritra Promotion" (龍王変化（ヴリトラ・プロモーション） Vuritora Promōshon , lit. "Dragon King Transformation"). However, while he does start conversing with Vritra like Issei talks with Ddraig, he can only handle so much power for so long without going berserk. Also, Vritra says Saji will go berserk if Issei uses Boost and Transfer to increase Saji's power. Fortunately for him, he is willing and able to endure grueling training and hardship to get stronger as he wants to surpass his friend, rival, and fellow Pawn Issei.
- Tsubasa Yura (由良 翼紗 Yura Tsubasa )
- A second-year student at Kuoh Academy and Sona's Rook. She has a crush on Issei after watching the latter's Rating Game match against Sairaorg. In the Rating Game with the Occult Research Club, she was eliminated by Kiba and Xenovia. In Volume 14, she receives from Azazel an artificial Sacred Gear called "Twinkle Aegis" (精霊と栄光の盾（トゥインクル・イージス） Tuinkuru Ījisu ).
- Tomoe Meguri (巡 巴柄 Meguri Tomoe )
- Voiced by: Kiyono Yasuno (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
- A second-year student at Kuoh Academy and Sona's Knight. Meguri comes from a family of that specializes in destroying evil spirits. In the Rating Game with the Occult Research Club, she was eliminated by Kiba and Xenovia. In Volume 14, she receives from Azazel an artificial Sacred Gear called the "Blazer Shining Aura Darkness Samurai Sword" (閃光と暗黒の龍絶刀（ブレイザー・シャイニング･オア・ダークネス・サムライソード） Burizā Shainigu Oa Dākunesu Samurai Sōdo ), a katana version of the Blazer Shining Aura Darkness Blade that Azazel wielded.
- Momo Hanakai (花戒 桃 Hanakai Momo )
- Voiced by: Mikako Komatsu (Japanese), Ashleigh Domangue (English)
- A second-year student at Kuoh Academy and Sona's Bishop. While she initially has a crush on Kiba, she eventually gains a crush on Saji after the Rating Game against the Gremory Team. In the Rating Game with Occult Research Club, she sacrificed herself to take out Asia so the latter couldn't heal Issei. In Volume 14, she receives from Azazel an artificial Sacred Gear called "Applause Wall" (刹那の絶園（アブローズ・ウォール） Apurōzu Wōru ).
- Reya Kusaka (草下 憐耶 Kusaka Reya )
- A second-year student at Kuoh Academy and Sona's Bishop. In the Rating Game with the Occult Research Club, she was eliminated by Akeno's Holy Lightning. In Volume 14, she receives from Azazel an artificial Sacred Gear called "Scouting Persona" (怪人達の仮面舞踏会（スカウティング・ペルソナ） Sukautingu Perusona )
- Ruruko Nimura (仁村 留流子 Nimura Ruruko )
- A first-year student at Kuoh Academy and Sona's Pawn. Has a crush on Saji. During school she is often seen shadowing him to help and support him with Student Council matters. In the Rating Game with Occult Research Club, she was eliminated by Koneko's senjutsu-infused punch. In Volume 14, she receives from Azazel an artificial Sacred Gear called "Procellarum Phantom" (玉兎と嫦娥（プロセラルム・ファントム） Puroserarumu Fantomu ).
- Loup Garou (ルー・ガルー Rū Garū )
- Sona's latest Rook, a college student at Kuoh Academy. Nicknamed Rugal (ルガール Rugāru ) by others. His name (Loup Garou) is the French word for "Werewolf". Tends to start his sentences with ..... like "....Yeah." Appearance is that of a foreigner with grey hair, long bangs, somewhat handsome, and muscular. Eye color is unknown as they couldn't be seen when he was introduced.
- Bennia (ベンニーア Bennīa )
- Sona's latest Knight, a half-human, half-Grim Reaper whose father is an Ultimate-Class Grim Reaper, Orcus. She left the Underworld because she didn't like the ways of Hades and her father. Then went to Sona saying she couldn't stand Hades' current way of doing things and could she become Sona's servant? She wasn't seen as a threat or a spy of Hades because she is a big Oppai Dragon fan so Sona made her a Knight. Since her human side was stronger than her Grim Reaper side this allowed Sona to do so with only one piece. Bennia isn't the Knight candidate that Sona had been considering for awhile, but as she hadn't been able to arrange a meeting with that person the piece was still available. Bennia has long, dark purple hair, golden eyes and looks like a middle schooler agewise. Although whether she really is as old as a human middleschooler (or the equivalent for a Grim Reaper) hasn't been told. Being a Grim Reaper her voice is different and bracketed by 《 》 rather than " ". Unlike other Grim Reapers she has put cute decorations on her scythe and embroidered the inside of her cape with Oppai Dragon. Also, instead of teleporting when the transport circle bursts with light she sinks into it instead. Design on her circles is that of House Sitri.
- Matsuda (松田)
- Voiced by: Yasuaki Takumi (Japanese), Tyson Rinehart (English)
- One of Issei's best friends that make up the "Perverted Trio" (変態三人組 Hentai San'nin-gumi ). Matsuda is a self-proclaimed lolicon, and is a former jock and school sports star. He is jealous of Issei's relationship with the girls of the Occult Research Club, and constantly spreads bad rumors about him. Matsuda's nicknames are "Perverted Baldy" (エロ坊主 Ero-bōzu ) and "Sexual Harassment Papparazzi (セクハラパパラッチ Sekuhara Paparatchi ). He does not know that Issei and the Occult Research Club members are Devils. Occasionally mention of him being in a group crops up, where the group's goal is to punish/kill Issei for being so popular with the Occult Club's girls, or figure how to transfer their affection from Issei to them.
- Motohama (元浜)
- Voiced by: Takuro Nakakuni (Japanese), Ruben Tadeo Garcia (English)
- Another of Issei's best friends that make up the Perverted Trio, who has the ability to calculate a female's body measurements just by looking. Like Matsuda, he is jealous of Issei's relationship with the girls of the Occult Research Club, and constantly spreads bad rumors about him. Motohama's nicknames are "Perverted Glasses" (エロメガネ Ero-megane ) and "Three Sizes Scouter" (スリーサイズスカウター Surī Saizu Sukautā ). Like Matsuda, he also does not know that Issei and the Occult Research Club members are Devils. He is also part of the group that hates Issei's recent luck with women and what he might be doing with them.
- Aika Kiriyu (桐生 藍華 Kiriyū Aika )
- Voiced by: Haruka Yamazaki
- A bespectacled student and Asia's friend who has the ability to calculate a male's "manhood" size just by looking. She likes to tease Asia about her crush on Issei. One of her hobbies is giving Asia perverted advice (like welcoming Issei home in a naked apron) or false information (like telling Asia bloomers are the ideal Japanese sportswear for dodgeball), which has Issei complimenting and cursing her in his head as his perverted nature is in conflict with his protective instincts.
- Murayama (村山) and Katase (片瀬)
- Two girls who are members of Kuoh Academy's Girls' Kendō Club, and are anime-exclusive characters. They are often subjected to Issei, Matsuda, and Motohama's lecherous peeping, in which they and the rest of the club retaliate by beating them with their shinai. They are also in the same class as the Perverted Trio.
- Kiyome Abe (安倍 清芽 Abe Kiyome )
- The Captain of Kuoh Academy's Tennis Club who comes from a human family of beast tamers. Initially she is very wary of the Occult Research Club since, as a human, she believed all the rumors of Devils being pure evil, contracts held to the letter with the spirit ground up, and thought they were after her soul. Since she needed to borrow Issei for an unnamed reason, and the Occult Research Club needed a report on monsters ASAP (Rias has to do the report to earn credits at Demon School, if she's ever short she'll have to return to the Underworld, with her servants, and attend Demon School in person.) As Rias did not want to loan Issei and Abe was wary of them, it was decided to have a tennis match where the winner got what they wanted for free, no strings attached. For the match, Abe used a Harpy (lost) and a Lamia (won) for the two singles games and played doubles with Christie against Rias and Issei for the tie-breaker. Christie's freezing breath was hampering Issei's meager skills so he put on Honda (who was as upset as Issei that Yuki-onna weren't beautiful maidens, but yetis) which help Rias and him win. Later on, she asks Rias if she can borrow Issei to cancel an arranged marriage her father was pushing for. Rias having escaped an arranged marriage herself agrees, but only if the whole group can come in exchange for some information Kiyome knows about various monsters and mythical beasts. After succeeding, in some rather strange ways, Kiyome is attracted to Issei because of how cool he looked during the duel. Although whether anything will come of this is unknown at this point.
- Tadami Kamo (加茂 忠美 Kamo Tadami )
Angels (天使 Tenshi ) are the powerful beings who serve God. They come from Heaven, and have the powers to inflict pain upon Devils due to their light-based powers. All Angels have white wings (golden wings for Archangels) and a halo above their head. After God died, the Angels were unable to increase their numbers until the creation of the Brave Saint system which reincarnate humans into Angels.
- God from the Bible (聖書の神 Seisho no Kami )
- The leader of the Angels who died in the previous war. He is succeeded by the Archangel Michael in maintaining the "system" He left after His death. This was kept secret by the heads of all the factions due to fear of the chaos and increased chances of an attack by a foreign faction (essentially any non-Christian Parthenon such as the Norse Gods, Greek Gods, etc.). It was revealed that the reason God died during the war is because he put thousands of seals on a powerful being known as 666 and ended up fighting in the war in an exhausted state.
Seraphim (熾天使（セラフ） Serafu , lit. "Burining Angels") are a group of highest-ranked Angels who are guardians of the Throne of Heaven. They are the ones that are maintaining the system used by the original God after His death in the war. The leaders of the Seraph are Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel.
- Michael (ミカエル Mikaeru , מִיכָאֵל)
- Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya
- Michael is the leader of the Angels and Seraphim in Heaven, and the only one called "Archangel". He is God's very first creation, one of the Four Great Seraphim, and is the current "God" after the original God died in the war. He appears in Volume 4 of the light novels to give Issei the Holy Sword Ascalon, the Dragon Slayer sword that was wielded by St. George. Like Azazel, he has twelve wings growing from his back, and unlike other Angels whose wings are white, his wings are colored gold, further symbolizing his position as leader. His current goal is to recreate the lost members of Heaven, and has reincarnated Irina and Dulio as his Ace and Joker. His suit in the Brave Saints system is the Suit of Spades.
- Gabriel (ガブリエル Gaburieru , גַּבְרִיאֵל)
- Michael's sister, an Angel who is also a Seraph, one of the guardians of the Throne of Heaven. Also one of the Four Great Seraphim, she is widely known as "Gabriel the Seraph" and has 10 pure white wings. She is the strongest female Angel in Heaven, as well as the most beautiful, and (according to Irina) is also a popular figure in the Underworld. She appears in the side story "Armageddon at Sports Day", where she took part in a sports day event between the three factions. Her suit in the Brave Saints system is the Suit of Hearts.
- One of the Four Great Seraphs and is famous for his Holy Flames. His suit in the Brave Saints system is the Suit of Diamonds.
The Brave Saints (御使い（ブレイブ・セイント） Bureibu Seinto , lit. "Royal Users") are a special set of playing cards used by the Angels to resurrect other beings into Angels to increase their numbers. The Saint Cards are based on the Evil Pieces system of the Devils, and the cards consist of 12 cards that represent the Twelve Apostles. And similar to the Evil Pieces, the Brave Saints also have their own special ability that are based on actual card games like poker and blackjack. Only people with a "pure heart" can become an Angel. There is a special type of card known as the Joker Card (ジョーカー Jōkā ), whose function is similar to those of the Mutation Pieces.
The Brave Saints system is created by the Archangel Michael in Volume 6 by copying the Devils' Evil Pieces System. This is so that the Angels can increase their numbers, as they cannot depend on God anymore following His death in the war.
- Dulio Gesualdo (デュリオ・ジェズアルド Dyurio Jezuarudo )
- Reincarnated as an Angel under Michael, a former exorcist who has the position of "Joker" and has 10 pure white wings. He is known to be the strongest exorcist ever capable of taking on High-class Devils and monsters alone, and possesses the second-strongest Longinus, "Zenith Tempest" (煌天雷獄（ゼニス・テンペスト） Zenisu Tenpesuto , lit. "Prison of Bright Heavenly Thunder"), which have the ability to control the weather as well as its attribute. He is, in fact, so skilled that he is considered as a candidate to become a Seraph. Dulio, however, is known to be a carefree person, and is currently traveling around the world in his quest to savor good cuisines. He appears in Volume 12, freezing up all of Hades' Grim Reapers.
- Irina Shido (紫藤 イリナ Shidō Irina )
- Michael's Ace.
- Griselda Quarta (グリゼルダ・クァルタ Gurizeruda Kwaruta )
- A reincarnated Angel, she is Gabriel's Queen and Xenovia's swordmaster who is one of Heaven's supervisors. She is also one of the top five female exorcists in Heaven. Also Irina's superior.
Fallen Angels (堕天使 Datenshi ) are Angels that have fallen from the grace of God due to having "impure thoughts" that divert from His teachings (e.g. the leaders of Grigori had sex with human women and had fallen as a result). Their appearances are similar to those of the Angels, albeit with black wings and lacking a halo above their head. Even though they have been cast out from Heaven, Fallen Angels have somehow retained the ability to use light-based weapons. However, they receive damage like Devils do if they pray to God.
Grigori (グリゴリ Gurigori , ἐγρήγοροι) is an organization created by the Fallen Angels. Members include humans exiled from the Church and Sacred Gear wielders. The leaders of the Grigori are Azazel, Shemhazai, Armaros, Baraqiel, Tamiel, Penemue, Kokabiel and Sariel. Like Devils, they mainly live in the Underworld.
- Azazel (アザゼル Azazeru )
- The Governor General of the Fallen Angels with twelve jet black wings and a teacher at Kuoh Academy.
- Shemhazai (シェムハザ Shemuhaza , Σεμιαζά)
- The Vice Governor General of the Fallen Angels and Grigori. He is Azazel's right-hand man. He has a Devil wife, and is expecting to have a child some time in the future. In Volume 12, Shemhazai became Governor General of the Fallen Angels after Azazel stepped down from his post.
- Baraqiel (バラキエル Barakieru , Βαρακιήλ)
- One of the Cadres of the Fallen Angels and Grigori. A friend of Azazel's and Akeno's father who has the Holy Lightning ability, which was later inherited by his daughter. Baraqiel is protective of his daughter Akeno, and hated Issei due to his misconception on Issei being "a Dragon that devours breasts", which was caused by Azazel who said that as a joke. He met Akeno's mother, Shuri Himejima, after he was injured and Shuri rescued him. In Volume 12, Baraqiel took over Shemhazai's position as Vice Governor General after Shemhazai was promoted to Governor General.
- Kokabiel (コカビエル Kokabieru , χωβαβιήλ)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto
- One of the Cadres of the Fallen Angels and Grigori. He stole the Excalibur swords in hopes of starting another war. He was able to defeat Rias and her peerage but lost to Vali Lucifer who came to stop him under Azazel's orders. After his defeat at the hands of Vali, he is sealed in the deepest part of the Underworld, Cocytus, by Azazel.
Normal Fallen Angels
- Raynare (レイナーレ Reināre ) / Yuma Amano (天野 夕麻 Amano Yūma )
- Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (Japanese), Felecia Angelle (English)
- One of the Fallen Angels and the first antagonist of the series. Raynare disguises herself as a human named Yuma Amano, and becomes Issei's girlfriend in order to get close to him, assess his abilities, and kill him while he is still human, the main reason being the Sacred Gear residing within him poses a threat to the Fallen Angels. However, once resurrected as a Devil, Issei eventually confronts her once again, this time with the life of Asia Argento, a nun he took a liking to, on the line as Raynare prepares to take Asia's powerful Sacred Gear by force. Issei defeats her in their final showdown after activating his true Sacred Gear, which Raynare mistook as a Twice Critical. Before being terminated by Rias, she desperately begged Issei to save her, even going as far as saying she loves him. Ultimately, Issei replies by telling Rias he is at his limit and leaves it to her. Using her Power of Destruction, Rias executes Raynare, leaving nothing behind except for a cloud of black feathers.
- Later on in Volume 4, it is revealed by Azazel that Raynare killed Issei out of her own will despite his orders to just keep an eye on him. The surveillence was to make sure his Sacred Gear remained dormant as there was a higher risk of it going out of control or making him go berserk if it awakened while he was still human.
- Although dead, Raynare left a permanent mark in Issei's heart, as explained in Volume 10 when Koneko, Asia, and Akeno try to "heal" Issei. She made Issei fear women after he planned his whole first date with Raynare, only to be killed by her and treated terribly by her. She also made him afraid to call girls by their first name (i.e. calling Rias "President (Buchou)" instead of her name), and also made him afraid of being disliked by other girls or rejected if he showed his feelings again. The girls, however, quickly object to this, and Raynare's "curse" is lifted from Issei's heart.
- As a Fallen Angel, she can use her wings to fly and has access to light-based weapons, with the spear of light being her preferred weapon. In the anime, her spear has a crimson violet color.
- Dohnaseek (ドーナシーク Dōnashīku )
- Voiced by: Taketora (Japanese), Jarrod Greene (English)
- A Fallen Angel allied with Raynare, dressed in a trenchcoat and fedora. He was the first Fallen Angel to attack Issei after the latter became a Devil. He later fought Rias and Akeno but was terminated by them. As a Fallen Angel, he can use his wings to fly and has access to light-based weapons, with the spear of light being his preferred weapon. In the anime, his spear was a light blue color.
- Kalawarner (カラワーナ Karawāna )
- Voiced by: Kumi Sakuma (Japanese), Staci Moon (English)
- A Fallen Angel allied with Raynare. In the anime, she attacked Issei but was forced to retreat after Issei activates his Sacred Gear. She later fought against Rias and Akeno but was terminated by them. As a Fallen Angel, she can use her wings to fly and has access to light-based weapons, with the spear of light being her preferred weapon. In the anime, the color of her spear was yellow.
- Mittelt (ミッテルト Mitteruto )
- Voiced by: Yuiko Tatsumi (Japanese), Mariela Ortiz (English)
- A Fallen Angel in gothic lolita fashion allied with Raynare. In the anime, she fought against Rias and Akeno but was terminated by them. As a Fallen Angel, she can use her wings to fly and has access to light-based weapons, with the spear of light being her preferred weapon. In the anime, the color of her spear was a pinkish violet.
- Valper Galilei (バルパー・ガリレイ Barupā Garirei )
- A member of Grigori and the person in charge of the Holy Sword Project, nicknamed the "Genocide Archbishop" (皆殺しの大司教). He is extremely intrigued by the Holy Swords, especially the Excalibur. While the project was initially thought to be a failure, it is revealed that the Holy Project was successful but there was a requirement: in order to wield Excalibur, it needed a mass property of light attribute in the human body. Because of this, Valper removed the light attribute from the candidates (followed by him terminating them as they were useless as candidates) to transfer it to someone that has a capacity to hold it to wield the Holy Swords. Due to this, he was excommunicated from the Church, and sided with the Fallen Angels to exact his revenge. He was later killed by Kokabiel after learning of the original God's death in the war.
- Slash Dog (刃狗（スラッシュドッグ） Surasshu Doggu )
- A man who possesses the Longinus "Canis Lycaon" (黒刃の狗神（ケイネス・リュカオン） Keinesu Ryukaon , lit. "God of Dogs with The Black Blade") and works for the Fallen Angels. According to Azazel, he does not get along with Vali. His name comes from one of Ishibumi's previous works, SLASH/DOG.
Devils (悪魔 Akuma ) are powerful beings that come from the Underworld. High-ranking Devils rule over other demons depending on their family's rank and prowess, and can have up to 15 "slaves", which are represented by each piece in a chess game (Rook, Knight, Pawn, etc.) which are called Evil Pieces. Most pure-blood devils (all direct ancestors were born devils with no reincarnated devils "thinning' the bloodline) are born with High-Class rank. Lower-ranking Devils (mostly devils who were reincarnated through Evil Pieces) are often looked down upon, and usually serve a Devil of higher authority. If a Devil were to divert away from his/her master (then on known as a "Stray Devil" (はぐれ悪魔 Hagure Akuma )), they have to be captured or killed before they go out of control.
The ranks of the Devils are spilt into Low-Class Devils (下級悪魔 Kakyū Akuma ), Middle-Class Devils (中級悪魔 Chūkyū Akuma ), High-Class Devils (上級悪魔 Jōkyū Akuma ), and Ultimate-Class Devils (最上級悪魔 Saijōkyū Akuma ). There are three ways for Low-Class Devils to increase rank: 1) Showing exceptional ability or skill in combat (rare even before Peace Treaty as everybody feared mutual annihilation if another war broke out,) 2) Have a high number of contracts completed and/or high quality rewards received, and the most common 3) Earn high points, reputation, and opinion in official Rating Games.
The Four Maous
The Four Great Maous (四大魔王 Yondai MaŌ , lit. "Four Great Satans") are the leaders of the Devils. The current Maous are not the original ones, rather they received the names with the position. Therefore the names "Lucifer" and "Beelzebub" while used as names are more like managerial position titles. Sirzechs, for example, was born Sirzechs Gremory, but because he is a Maou he gave up the name Gremory and is always referred to as Sirzechs Lucifer. However his son Millicas doesn't inherit the name Lucifer but instead inherits his father's birth name of Gremory and thus is Millicas Gremory.
- Sirzechs Lucifer (サーゼクス・ルシファー Sāzekusu Rushifā )
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese), Alex Organ (English)
- Formerly known as Sirzechs Gremory (サーゼクス・グレモリー Sāzekusu Guremorī ) and also known as the "Crimson Satan" (紅髪の魔王（クリムゾン・サタン） Kurimuzon Satan , lit. "Crimson-Haired Satan"), Sirzechs is the leader of the Devils, the current Maou with the title of "Lucifer", and Rias' older brother. Sirzechs is the most powerful of the Four Maous and is much more powerful than the former Lucifer. This is partially through inheriting the Gremory's magic talent and the Baels' Power of Destruction. He is a wizard-technique type where he uses his Power of Destruction in forms of several orbs that he can control at will. When he focuses and concentrates strongly he can use a move he calls "Ruin the Extinct" (滅殺の魔弾(ルイン・ザ・エクスティンクト) Ruin za Ekusutinkuto , lit. "Magical Bullets of Annihilation") which only destroys his target. This is shown once when he had a sphere enter Creuserey's mouth and destroy the snake that was in his stomach, without causing any damage to Creuserey himself. As stated by Azazel, the reason why Sirzechs was chosen as Maou is mainly due to his overwhelming ability to nullify magic. However, Milicas comments during his visit to the Gremory Household that Grayfia is the strongest member of the Lucifer team (most likely because he doesn't know about Sirzechs 'other' form.)
- In Volume 12, Sirzechs goes into the front lines to protect the Underworld, where he revealed his "true form" in which he converts himself into the Power of Destruction called the "Human-Shaped Aura of Destruction" (人型に浮かび上がる滅びのオーラ) that destroys everything regardless of his will. According to Azazel, Sirzechs compresses his demonic powers to the size of a human shape, and has demonic powers that are ten times more powerful than the original Lucifer. His father also mentions to Azazel that he is a Super Devil and a mutation of a Devil, possibly so different that it might be a mistake to even call him a Devil. Because of this, being a Maou was the only role for him.
- He is Grayfia's husband and father of their son, Milicas Gremory.
- Serafall Leviathan (セラフォルー・レヴィアタン Seraforū Revaiatan )
- Voiced by: Ai Shimizu
- Formerly known as Serafall Sitri (セラフォルー・シトリー Seraforū Shitorī ), she is Sona's older sister. She is a cosplayer who is always seen wearing a magical girl dress, saying to others that they are her normal clothes. This prompts Issei to coin her the nickname "Maou Shoujo" (魔王少女 MaŌ Shōjo , lit. "Satan Girl"). She has a deep sister complex, going as far as threatening to attack Heaven for not being informed of the school's class observation by her little sister. Adding to her childlike personality, she calls Sona "So-tan" (ソーたん Sō-tan ) and Sirzechs (and everyone else) "Sirzechs-chan". She is the Maou in charge of foreign affairs (other factions). Coming from the Sitri Clan, Serafall is highly skilled in water-based magic while specializing in ice-based magic, and has an attack called "Celsius Cross Trigger" ((零と雫の霧雪(セルシウス・クロス・トリガー) Serushiusu Kurosu Torigā ). Despite the childlike attitude she definitely has the power to hold the position of Maou since she was able to take out a Bandersnatch all by herself. She also has her own show called "Levi-tan" in competition with the Oppai Dragon show based on Issei.
- Ajuka Beelzebub (アジュカ・ベルゼブブ Ajuka Beruzebubu )
- Formerly known as Ajuka Astaroth (アジュカ・アスタロト Ajuka Asutaroto ), he is Diodora's older brother and the creator of the Evil Pieces system and Rating Game. Ajuka is the only Devil that can rival Sirzechs in strength. He remodeled Issei's Evil Piece that gave him the ability to activate Illegal Move Trident. Ajuka has a special ability called the Kankara Formula (覇軍の方程式（カンカラー・フォーミュラ） Kankarā Fōmyura , lit. "Equation of Military Supremacy"), which allows him to turn every phenomenon into equations and formulas and control it to make it into a special move of his own by increasing its speed and power. Ajuka is extremely powerful, as revealed in Volume 12 when he finishes off some of the servants of the Old Maou Faction who attacked him by turning their own powers against them, and it was mentioned that of the current Maous, only he and Sirzechs surpass the original ones.
- He is also a Super Devil and mutation of a Devil like Sirzechs.
- Fallbium Asmodeus (ファルビウム・アスモデウス Farubiumu Asumodeusu )
- Formerly known as Falbium Glasya-Labolas (ファルビウム・グラシャラボラス Farubiumu Gurasha-Raborasu ), Asmodeus is known for being a great strategist and has gathered many talented subordinates. As such, he is the one maintaining military affairs in the Underworld. However, he is also known to be lazy and constantly leaves his work to his subordinates.
- Lord Gremory (グレモリー卿 Guremorī-kyō )
- Voiced by: Shō Hayami
- The father of Sirzechs and Rias, Grayfia's father-in-law, and Milikas' grandfather. The current head of the Gremory Family, a middle-aged man with red hair. Due to his greed for wanting more pure-blooded Devil grandchildren, he tried to push Rias' marriage to Riser early.
- Venelana Gremory (ヴェネラナ・グレモリー Venerana Guremorī )
- The mother of Sirzechs and Rias, Grayfia's mother-in-law, and Milikas' grandmother. Originally from the Bael Family, she is known as the Brunette Madame the Extinct (亜麻髪の絶滅淑女（あまがみのマダム・ザ・エクスティンクト） Amagami no Madamu za Ekusutinkuto , lit. "Brown-Haired Lady of Extinction"). She bears a striking resemblance to her daughter, albeit with brown hair. This is mainly due to genetics and partially due to her using demonic powers to consistently match her age with that of Rias' for some personal reason. As a descendant of the Bael family, she inherited her Powers of Destruction, which were also passed on to both her children, Rias and Sirzechs. She can seamlessly switch her demeanor from that of a proper, young noble lady to that of the head Lady of the Gremory Family.
- Grayfia Lucifuge (グレイフィア・ルキフグス Gureifia Rukifugusu )
- Voiced by: Saori Seto (Japanese), Krishna Smitha (English)
- The maid of the Gremory Family, Sirzerch's Queen and wife, and the mother of Milikas Gremory. Grayfia comes from the House of Lucifuge, a family of pure-blooded Devils from the Extra Demons whose family served under the original Lucifer. She is a Devil on par with the Four Maous, and is known as the "Strongest Queen". She once challenged Serafall for the spot of Leviathan. She is nicknamed the Silver-Haired Queen of Devourer (銀髪の殲滅女王（ぎんぱつのクィーン・オブ・デイバウア） Ginpatsu no Kwīn obu Deibaua , lit. "Silver-Haired Queen of Annihilation") and uses ice-based magic. For some reason, she does not appreciate having family titles or ties to the Gremory family mentioned while a maid. As a maid, she always acts in a cold, calm, and professional manner with extremely rare instances of emotions showing in her face or voice. This is because when she is a maid she wants to do it completely, which has resulted in her having a relationship with the Gremory family as a maid. One of the few instances she showed emotion was in Volume 2 during her conversation with Issei just before she gave him the magic circle to crash Riser's engagement party and release a griffin to ride home on. She acts and expects to be treated with the difference between a noble and servant, although she still reserves the right to chastise Sirzechs and Millicas if they act improper or acknowledge her as part of the family and not a maid or Sirzech's Queen. She enjoys doing small tasks and housework and it seems easier to move around doing simple matters as a maid than the wife of a Maou. This may be her solution to the similar issue Sona had of wanting to help Rias with things (like Akeno's and Koneko's difficulties accepting their Fallen Angel and Nekomata heritages) but unable to do so due to restrictions of being a proper, high-class, and noble Devil.
- Every now and then, she will take a day off as a maid and become a high-class lady who is to be acknowledged as a noble lady of the Gremory Family, Sirzech's wife and Rias' older sister. While maintaining the proper demeanor of a noble lady, she does allow emotions to show on her face and is less reserved around others. So far, she has only been seen to take a day off once in the Extra Life chapter of Volume 8 in the light novels. During that chapter, she acted more friendly with everyone and even showed embarrassment over Akeno saying her (Grayfia's) romance with Sirzechs is a legend among young, female devils and Koneko mentioning their courtship had been made into a play.
- Millicas Gremory (ミリキャス・グレモリー Mirikyasu Guremorī )
- The son of Sirzechs Lucifer and Grayfia Lucifuge and Rias's nephew. Although his father is Lucifer of the Four Maous, it is not applied to Millicas, as it is required only for Sirzechs, thus Millicas' family name is Gremory and is next-in-line after Rias as family head. In the Volume 13 short story "The Worries of the Next, Next Heir" (which took place after Volume 12), it is shown that he has inherited Sirzechs' Power of Destruction when he had a training match with Issei during his stay at Issei's house. It is still unknown if he inherited any powers of the Lucifuge family from Grayfia.
- Enku (炎駒)
- Sirzechs' Pawn. A Chinese Qilin that reincarnated in a Devil. He first appears in Volume 8 as Grayfia's escort and also to use the Qilin ability of bringing good luck to the Hyodo residence. He appears again in Volume 12 alongside Sirzechs' peerage to battle the Jabberwocky.
- Souji Okita (沖田 総司 Okita Sōji )
- Sirzechs' Knight. He is the captain of the first unit of the Shinsengumi, a special police force in Kyoto during the late shogunate period. He was one of the best swordsmen of the Shinsengumi, along with Hajime Saito and Shinpachi Nagakura. He is Yuto's swordsmaster, and is capable of moving at God-like speeds that far surpasses that of Yuto. He is a Knight who consumed both pieces of it. He appears in Volume 12 with the rest of Sirzechs' peerage, fighting the Jabberwocky.
- Surtr Second (スルト・セカンド Suruto Sekando )
- The ultimate Rook. He is the clone of Surtr from Norse Mythology. He is described to be a very huge man with massive muscles. The Norse Gods made a clone of Surtr, but it went berserk so the Norse Gods abandoned him. Sirzechs later made him into his servant by using his Mutation Rook piece. Since he is a clone, he was named the Second. If he was able to use his power properly, it is said that he could have defeated Jabberwocky. His flame is said to burn everything. He is the one who gave Issei his familiar, the living flying Norse ship Skithblathnir.
- Bahamut (バハムート Bahamūto )
- Sirzechs' Rook, known as the Glowing Fish of the Deep Sea (深海の光魚 Shinkai no Kōgyo ). A sacred beast that is mainly used for transport and also to annihilate grunts.
- MacGregor Mathers (マグレガー・メイザース Maguregā Meizāsu )
- Sirzechs' Bishop, a master magician capable of using all kinds of magic. He is one of the founders of modern magic association Golden Dawn (黄金の夜明け（ゴールデンドーン） Gōruden Dōn ). He is a Bishop who consumed both pieces of it.
- Beowulf (ベオウルフ Beōrufu )
- Sirzechs' Pawn who is the descendant of the hero Beowulf. He is said to be in the top 5 Pawns of the Underworld. He became Sirzechs' servant after battling him and losing against him, and he is picked on by the rest of Sirzechs' servants and is treated like a lackey.
- Lord Phoenix (フェニックス卿 Fenikkusu-kyō )
- Ruval, Riser, and Ravel's father and current head of the Phoenix Family. He talked with Rias' father after the defeat of his son at the hand of Issei, feeling pleased because it taught Riser that the Phenex Family's power of immortality is not absolute.
- Lady Phoenix
- Ruval, Riser, and Ravel's mother and the matrarch of the Phoenix Family who appeared in Volume 10. She asked Issei and Rias to take care of Ravel, and told Issei that her daughter is currently a "free" Bishop.
- Ruval Phenex (ルヴァル・フェニックス Ruvuaru Fenikkusu )
- The eldest son of the Phenex family and next heir to the house. He is one of the top ten rankers in the Rating Game and is soon to be promoted as an Ultimate-Class Devil. He appears in Volume 12 along with Riser to cheer his sister and the Gremory Team, who were in shock at Issei's death, before leaving to fight against the monsters created by Annihilation Maker. While there, he also dropped off a few bottles of Phoenix Tears to help those wounded fighting the Khaos Brigade.
- Riser Phoenix (ライザー・フェニックス Raizā Fenikkusu )
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese), Chris Smith (English)
- Introduced as Rias' fiancé (which changes when his ulterior motives are revealed and Rias' disgust of him), Riser is a high-ranking Devil and the third son of the Phoenix Family. Because the Phoenix Family has inherent powers that are equivalent of the legendary creature, Phoenix (which the family's name is also derived from), Riser has inherited the family ability that reflects those of the legendary bird, where he can regenerate from almost any injuries immediately and is practically impossible to defeat. It is said that the Phoenix Family's tears (known as Phoenix Tears) sell for a high price because of its powerful healing abilities, resulting in the Phenex Family's immense wealth. As a high-ranking Devil, Riser has his own group of a full fifteen servants, all consisting of females (including his sister Ravel), something which Issei both looks up to and envies at the same time, and he sees no problem in making out with his queen Yubelluna and his other girls in front of others, especially Rias and Issei. In the manga, it is revealed that he had selected them to fill roles of several fetishes. For example, Ravel was selected to fill the role of a tsundere little sister. After being defeated by Issei, Riser fell into a slump and developed a fear of Dragons. He recovered from his slump in Volume 10 of the light novels, giving advice to Rias on Rating Games and warning Issei that should he mistreat his sister, he will burn him to a crisp. He reappears in Volume 12 alongside his brother to cheer up his sister and the Gremory Team before leaving to fight alongside his brother.
- Yubelluna (ユーベルーナ Yūberūna )
- Voiced by: Kotomi Yamakawa (Japanese), Morgan Garrett (credited as Mandy Lane) (English)
- Riser's Queen and the strongest member of his peerage, also known as the "Bomb Queen" (爆弾王妃（ボム・クイーン） Bomu Kuīn ) due to her powerful fire magic that looks like a bomb explosion when hitting the target. She defeated Koneko, Akeno (albeit with the use of the Phoenix Tears), and Yuto at the Rating Game between Rias and Riser. She is Riser's favorite piece, as he often makes out with her and fondles her. Like many of the other pieces, she adores Riser and wants to receive his attention. As such, she and the others do not care about the circumstances or what he does to receive that attention, and live to fulfill his every desire.
- Karlamine (カーラマイン Kāramain )
- Voiced by: Hitomi Harada (Japanese), Lindsay Seidel (English)
- Riser's Knight dressed in armor and armed with a sword and dagger. Karlamine is a expert swordswoman and is capable of using fire and wind-based attacks and is known as the Knight of Flames (炎の騎士 Honō no Kishi ). According to Ravel, she is a sword maniac like Yuto with a similar sense of honor, as she was unhappy that her fellow pieces were used as sacrificial pieces but endures it as it was at Riser's command. She was able to fight on par with Yuto before Issei gains a new ability in the form of the Boosted Gear Gift, where she is defeated by their combination attack.
- Siris (シーリス Shīrisu )
- Voiced by: Manami Suda (Japanese), Terri Doty (English)
- Riser's Knight. Wields a giant broadsword that can cause strong winds such as shock waves. Defeated by the combination attack of Issei and Yuto.
- Isabela (イザベラ Izabera )
- Voiced by: Harumi Sakurai (Japanese), Trina Nishimura (English)
- Riser's Rook. A woman who wears a mask on the right side of her face. She was incapacitated by Issei's Dress Break before being defeated by Issei's Dragon Shot. Unlike Karlamine, she considers honor to be fulfilling Riser's wishes by any means necessary and fair play optional. She reappears in Volume 5 as Ravel's escort during the Young Devils Gathering.
- Mira (ミラ)
- Voiced by: Yuka Saitō (Japanese), Cynthia Cranz (English)
- Riser's Pawn. As a show of power, Riser had her hurt Issei for insulting him and added insult to injury by commenting that despite Mira being his weakest piece, she was able to easily beat Issei. She later fights Issei again at their masters' Rating Game, where she became one of the first victims of Issei's Dress Break before being completely taken out of the game by Akeno.
- Xuelan (雪蘭（シュエラン） Shueran )
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (Japanese), Colleen Clinkenbeard (English)
- Riser's Rook dressed in a Cheongsam. She specializes in Chinese Kung Fu and is able to emit flames on her hands and legs. Incapacitated by Koneko and defeated by Akeno. According to Koneko, her abilities as a Rook are on par with a Queen piece.
- Mihae (美南風)
- Riser's Bishop. Wears a Kimono. Defeated by Issei and Yuto.
- Ile and Nel (イル＆ネル Iru ando Neru )
- Voiced by: Chinatsu Akasaki (Japanese), Lara Woodhull (English)
- Riser's Pawns. Twin sisters who wield chainsaws. Incapacitated by Issei and defeated by Akeno.
- Shuriya (シュリヤー Shuriyā )
- Voiced by: Mana Hirata (Japanese), Ashleigh Domangue (English)
- Riser's Pawn. Defeated by Yuto.
- Marion (マリオン)
- Voiced by: Manami Numakura (Japanese), Alexis Tipton (English)
- Riser's Pawn. Defeated by Yuto.
- Bürent (ビュレント Byurento )
- Voiced by: Yuka Keichō (Japanese), Brina Palencia (English)
- Riser's Pawn. Defeated by Yuto.
- Ni (ニィ Nyi ) and Li (リィ Ryi )
- Riser's Pawns. Twin catgirls who specialize in hand-to-hand combat. Defeated by Issei and Yuto.
- Lord Bael
- The current head of the Bael Family known as the "Great King" and Sairaorg's father. He was disappointed at Sairaorg for not inheriting the Baels' Power of Destruction. Has two wives.
- Misla Bael (ミスラ・バアル Misura Bāru )
- The mother of Sairaorg, originally from the Vapula Family (ウァプラ家 Vapura Ke ). She was in a comatose state a few years prior to the story. The Bael Family considered her and Sairaorg as failures because of Sairaorg not inheriting the Power of Destruction. Before her coma, she made Sairaorg promise her that he will become stronger than anyone, which later became Sairaorg's drive to become a Maou. She wakes up from her coma at the end of Volume 10.
- Sairaorg Bael (サイラオーグ・バアル Sairaōgu Bāru )
- Sairaorg Bael is the next heir of Bael Family and Rias' cousin. Sairaorg did not inherit the Power of Destruction, whom Rias and her brother inherit from their mother, who was from the Bael Family. Because of this that time, his younger brother is the one who has been decided to become the heir of the Bael Family. His mother told him to become strong in different ways, where Sairaorg proceeded to train his body with martial arts to its utmost limits to become powerful. Because of this, he defeated his younger brother, making him the next heir, but due to this, his younger brother plans to assassinate him. Sairoarg desires to become one of the four Maous to prove himself as well as to prevent others from feeling the same pain he felt.
- Appearing in Volume 5 during the Young Devils Gathering, he fought against Zephyrdor Glasya-Labolas in a Rating Game which he and his team won predominately. He faces Rias in a Rating Game in Volume 10, defeating Yuto, Xenovia and Rossweisse before he and his Pawn, Regulus, faced off against Rias and Issei where he manages to overwhelm Issei until the latter achieved his Cardinal Crimson Promotion, as both men engaged in a fist fight which Issei won. He later fought against Heracles in Volume 12 and easily defeated the giant.
- Due to the extreme training to his body, he gained an enormous amount of toki and is a martial arts master, and can use the Balance Breaker armor of "Regulus Nemea" (獅子王の戦斧（レグルス・ネメア） Regurusu Nemea , lit. "Axe of the Lion King"), "Regulus Rey Leather Rex" (獅子王の剛皮（レグルス・レイ・レザー・レックス） Regurusu Rei Rezā Rekkusu , lit. "Iron Skin of the Lion King"), one of the Longinus which he luckily encountered when its host died.
- Regulus (レグルス Regurusu )
- Sairaorg's Pawn, the Nemean Lion residing in the Longinus Regulus Nemea. It materialized itself after its previous host died killing the culprit who killed its host. It was reincarnated by Sairaorg into a Devil through the use of seven Pawns, and can fuse with its master to attain its Balance Breaker armor. It is extremely loyal to Sairaorg.
- Kuisha Abaddon (クイーシャ・アバドン Kuīsha Abadon )
- Sairaorg's Queen who came from the House of Abaddon, one of the Extra Demons who are specialized in the Power of Hole (穴（ホール） Hōru ), which creates a hole that expands and retracts according to the user's will and is able to absorb attacks and reflect them back as they chooses. Aside from her Power of Hole abilities, She also specializes in using elemental magic. She defeated Akeno at their Rating Game after sucking in Akeno's Holy Lightning and shooting the holy powers back at the latter but lost to Issei (in reality, Sairaorg forced Kuisha to retire to prevent her from getting killed by an enraged Issei). Kuisha is in love with her master, Sairaorg.
- Gandoma Balam (ガンドマ・バラム Gandoma Bramu )
- Sairaorg's Rook from the House of Balam. Lost to Rossweisse and Koneko.
- Ladora Buné (ラードラ・ブネ Rādora Bune )
- Sairaorg's Rook from the House of Buné, a family that tames Dragons. Has the ability to transform into a Dragon. He faced Xenovia and Gasper at the Young Devils Tournament, where he lost to Xenovia after Gasper (who he defeated) risked his life to unseal the former's Durandal abilities.
- Beruka Furcas (ベルーガ・フールカス Berūka Fūrukasu )
- Sairaorg's Knight from the House of Furcas, one of the remaining members of the 72 Pillars and a family that tames horses. Beruka rides the "Pale Horse" Altobrau (青ざめた馬（ペイルホース）・アルトブラウ Peiru Hōsu Arutoburau ), a horse that lives in the deepest part of the Underworld, Cocytus. It is a horse that is said to be hard to ride and it will kick and kill any of those it doesn't like, including their master. He lost to Yuto in the Rating Game between Sairaorg and Rias.
- Liban Crocell (リーバン・クロセル Rīban Kuroseru )
- Sairaorg's Knight from the House of Crocell who owns the Sacred Gear, "Gravity Jail" (魔眼の生む枷（グラヴィティ・ジェイル） Guraviti Jeiru ), which has the power to control gravity. Lost to Rossweisse and Koneko.
- Coriana Andrealphus (コリアナ・アンドレアルフス Koriana Andorearufusu )
- Sairaorg's Bishop from the House of Andrealphus. She faced Issei in the Young Devils Tournament, and used a strategy formulated by Sairaorg to counter Issei's Dress Break and Bilingual by stripping in front of him while having her breasts tell Issei what she will be taking off next, and nearly succeeded before she was blasted by Issei's Dragon Shot for taking off her panties instead of her bra (which was a serious deal for him).
- Misteeta Sabnock (ミスティータ・サブノック Misutīta Sabunokku )
- Sairaorg's Bishop from the House of Sabnock who owns the Sacred Gear "Trick Vanish" (異能の棺（トリック・バニッシュ） Torikku Banisshu ), which can seal the opponents' ability for a certain time in the expense of their force will drastically decrease. He, along with Ladora Bune, faced Xenovia and Gasper at the Young Devils Tournament, where he temporalily sealed Xenovia's Durandal abilities. Unfortunately, he was defeated by Xenovia after Gasper (who was defeated by Bune) risked his life to unseal the latter's Durandal abilities.
- Viser (バイサー Baisā )
- Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara (Japanese), Milly Prower (English)
- A Stray Devil terminated by Rias and her peerage, bearing a Centaur-like appearance.
- Gentleman Alchemist (錬金術師の紳士 Renkinjutsu-shi no Shinshi )
- Voiced by: Itaru Yamamoto
- An unnamed Stray Devil who is an anime-exclusive character in the OVA episode "I'm Harvesting Breasts!" He was captured by the Occult Research Club and interrogated by Grayfia in the Underworld. Before being killed, he revealed that he created the Breast Chimera so that every flat-chested girl in the world would have large breasts.
- Breast Chimera
- A creation of the Gentleman Alchemist and the main antagonist of the OVA episode "I'm Harvesting Breasts!" It is a plant with a Dragon-like features, and has the ability to produce breast-like fruits by feeding off spiritual energy from women's breasts, specifically the much bigger ones like Rias and Akeno's. According to Grayfia, the Gentleman Alchemist created the Breast Chimera so that every flat-chested girl in the world would have large breasts by eating its fruit. It was defeated by Rias' boosted Power of Destruction.
- Diodora Astaroth (ディオドラ・アスタロト Diodora Asutaroto )
- The heir to the House of Astaroth and Ajuka's younger brother. He is the Devil that caused Asia's excommunication from the Church and accusation of her being a heretic. After he revealed that he is an ally of the Khaos Brigade, it is further revealed by Freed that Diodora has a nun fetish and that all his servants are nuns and maidens that he acquired all over the world. That he'd seduce them away from the Church and then rape them, while recording it, when they were under his control. Seeing their complete despair and hopelessness makes it all the more enjoyable for him. He purposely injured himself so Asia, being extremely kind, would heal him so she'd get kicked out of the Church (Healing ability that can heal Fallen Angels and Devils is considered blasphemy) in order to get an opportunity to make her his servant. Originally he planned to 'rescue' Asia after Raynalle killed her so he'd have the excuse to turn her into a Devil while appearing to be the 'good guy.' He depises Issei for, in his terms, "stealing Asia from him", and attempts to kill him, but was defeated by the latter before Shalba Beelzebub fatally shot him with a light weapon.
- Seekvaira Agares (シーグヴァイラ・アガレス Shīguvarira Agaresu )
- The next heiress of the House of Agares of the Archduke. Has a Rating Game against Diodora Astaroth, Sairaorg Bael and Sona Sitri who she lost to all three of them.
- Zephyrdor Glasya-Labolas (ゼファードル・グラシャラボラス Zefādoru Gurasha-Raborasu )
- The next heir to the House of Glasya-Labolas and Falbium's younger brother. He became the heir after the supposed heir was killed by Diodora Astaroth. He lost a Rating Game against Sairaorg and loses his will to fight out of fear.
- Diehauser Belial (ディハウザー・ベリアル Dihauzā Beriaru )
- The current head of the House of Belial and the number one-ranking Rating Game champion. He has dominated the Rating Game for a very long time, and is popularly known as "The Emperor" (皇帝 Kōtei ) to everyone. His powers are said to be on par with a Maou. He was one of the spectators at Rias and Sairaorg's Rating Game, complimenting Issei and Sairaorg for their magnificent fight. After Beelzebub created new formulas to allow attacks from Devils to work, Diehauser led the first group to successfully defeat a Bandersnatch.
- Naud Gamigin (ナウド・ガミジン Naudo Gamijin )
- Rudiger Rosenkreutz (リュディガー・ローゼンクロイツ Ryudigā Rōzenkuroitsu )
- A former human who reincarnated into an Ultimate-class Devil. The current 7th ranker in Rating Games.
- Lilitifa Wepal (リリティファ・ウェパル Riritifa Weparu )
- Gragg Forneus (グラッグ・フォルネウス Guraggu Foruneusu )
- Eneely Vassago (エニーレィ・ヴァサーゴ Enīryi Vasāgo )
- The elective head of the House of Vassago.
- Iolava Amon (イオラヴァ・アモン Iorava Amon )
- The second son of the House of Amon.
- Mephisto Pheles (メフィスト・フェレス Mefisuto Feresu )
- A Devil from the Extra Demons who has been active since the time of the previous Four Great Satans. However, he is a Liberalist, so he didn't get along with the previous Satans. He is the current director for the Magician Council, and is Tannin's King. He has a Longinus (Absolute Demise) possessor as his servant as well.
- Zeus (ゼウス Zeusu )
- The leader of the Gods of the Greek mythology. Appears in Volume 10.
- Poseidon (ポセイドン)
- A God of the Greek mythology that rules over the sea. He wields the legendary three forked spear, Trident, that has the ability to control the sea. He appears in one of the side-stories and in Volume 10.
- Hades (ハーデス Hādesu )
- The main antagonist of High School DxD, he is the God of the Realm of the Dead and the true mastermind behind the Khaos Brigade. He commands a legion of Grim Reapers. He is stronger than Michael, Azazel and the current Maous combined. Hades gets along well with humans but despises the Devils and Fallen Angels. However, Lucifer and Beelzebub are the only two Maous that can currently fight him. His body consists of only bones and gives out a creepy aura.
- Pluto (プルート Purūto )
- The strongest Grim Reaper under Hades' command. He is defeated by Vali in Volume 12.
- Odin (オーディン Ōdin )
- The leader of the Gods in Norse mythology. A perverted yet nonetheless powerful God who wields the legendary spear Gungnir in battle. Appears in Volume 5, 6, 7 and 10.
- Loki (ロキ Roki )
- A god from Norse mythology who tried to kill Odin and create Ragnarok. He came to Issei's town to create Ragnarok but is defeated by the combined effort of the Gremory and Vali Team. After his defeat, he was placed under many layers of sealing.
- Indra (インドラ Indora )
- Indra (or Śakra) is the King of the Gods (Devas) and Lord of Heaven (Svargaloka) in Hindu mythology. He is also the God of War, Storms, and Rainfall. Indra was confronted by Azazel after the Rating Game between Issei and Sairaorg, where he revealed the fact that he had known Cao Cao and the whereabout of the True Longinus as well as his alliance with Hades for a long time, but opted to do nothing and has kept the fact hidden from everyone. In Volume 12, Indra sends the majority of the Hero Faction to the Realm of the Dead after taking all of their Longinus, claiming they have lost their value before retreating. In Volume 14, it is revealed that Indra is gathering forces to combat Shiva the God of Destruction, which is why he aligned himself with the Hero Faction and Hades.
The Khaos Brigade (禍の団（カオス・ブリゲード） Kaosu Burigēdo , lit. "Army of Disaster") is an organization created by Ophis, the Dragon God, with the sole purpose of removing the Great Red, the most powerful Dragon in existence known as the True Dragon, out of the Dimensional Gap. The Khaos Brigade consists of few races: Fallen Angels, humans, and a few (unfallen) Angels.
The Vali Team (ヴァーリチーム Vāri Chīmu ) is a faction of the Chaos Brigade led by Vali Lucifer. Their main goal seems to be exploring, going on adventures, and finding strong opponents to battle.
- Vali Lucifer (ヴァーリ・ルシファー Vāri Rushifā )
- Voiced by: Ryōta Ōsaka
- The descendant of Lucifer and possessor of the Vanishing Dragon Albion. Vali is the great-grandson of the former Maou and a human woman. He was abandoned by his parents who thought he was a monster and was eventually picked up by Azazel who raised and trained him. He later betrays Azazel during the peace conference between the three factions and joins the Khaos Brigade, where he leads his own team, the Vali Team.
- Vali wants to defeat Great Red in order to become the strongest existence. A battle maniac, Vali can use the Juggernaut Mode by not consuming his lifespan, instead using his enormous demonic energy. However, he can only maintain his sanity for a few minutes; any longer will make him go berserk. He is a powerful fighter who wields the Sacred Gear "Divine Dividing" (白龍皇の光翼（ディバイン・ディバイディング） Dibain Dibaidingu , lit. "White Dragon Emperor's Light Wings"), which holds the spirit of the Vanishing Dragon Albion. Divine Dividing works in the opposite way of Issei's Boosted Gear, in which it halves the opponent's power every ten seconds after coming into contact with them. Vali can also add the opponent's halved power to his own, which contributed to the defeat of the Fallen Angel Kokabiel during his introductory chapter. Like Issei, he also has a Balance Breaker armor called Divine Dividing Scale Mail (白龍皇の鎧（ディバイン・ディバイディング・スケイルメイル） Dibain Dibaidingu Sukeiru Meiru , lit. "Armor of the White Dragon Emperor"), which is similar to Issei's Scale Mail aside from it being white and having Dragon wings. The Divine Dividing also has the ability to halve the size of objects and living beings through the use of its "Half Dimension".
- In Volume 12, Vali uses a new form called the Empireo Juggernaut Overdrive (白銀の極覇龍（エンピレオ・ジャガーノート・オーバードライブ） Enpireo Jagānōto Ōbādoraibu , lit. Silver Dragon Pole of Supremacy), which changes the color of his armor to silver. Like Issei's Cardinal Crimson Promotion, it does not consume his life. In this state, Vali can use an enhanced version of Half Dimension called "Compression Divider", which halves a specific target constantly until they vanish from existence.
- Arthur Pendragon (アーサー・ペンドラゴン Āsā Pendoragon )
- A man who is the descendant of the Legendary King of Camelot, King Arthur. He is one of the two best swordsmen in the Khaos Brigade, earning the nickname "The Strongest Holy Sword User" (最強の聖剣使い Saikyō no Seikentsukai ). He is also a natural-born Holy Sword user like Xenovia. He wields one of the seven Excaliburs, "Excalibur Ruler" (支配の聖剣（エクスカリバー・ルーラー） Ekusukaribā Rūrā ), the strongest Excalibur fragment, along with the Holy King Sword Collbrande (聖王剣コールブランド SeiŌken Kōruburando ), the Sword in the Stone and the most powerful Holy Sword in existence. Arthur used the Excalibur Ruler to control Fenrir. In Volume 11, Le Fay gives the Excalibur Ruler to Irina after Arthur abandons the sword, as Fenrir no longer needs to be controlled by it. In Volume 12, after raiding the Realm of the Dead, killing many of Hades' Grim Reapers along with his team-mates, he confronts Yuto Kiba, challenging him after deeming him to be a worthy opponent for his Holy King Sword, telling Yuto that he will fight him when Vali fights Issei.
- Le Fay Pendragon (ルフェイ・ペンドラゴン Rufei Pendoragon )
- Arthur's sister who is the descendant of Morgan le Fay. She is a witch who summons Gogmagog in battle. She is a huge fan of Issei's show. In Volume 14, she moves to the Hyodo Residence as a semi-permanent residence.
- Bikou (美猴 Bikō )
- Voiced by: Makoto Yasumura
- The descendant of Sun Wukong and the current Monkey King. He likes to make fun of Issei and Rias, coining the nicknames "Oppai Dragon" (おっぱいドラゴン Oppai Doragon , lit. "Breast Dragon") for Issei and "Switch Princess" (スイッチ姫 Suitchi Hime ) for Rias, which he would constantly use to address them (he even said he was proud of being the one to give two huge celebrities their nicknames). He is a Senjutsu user like Kuroka and Koneko, and like Vali, he is also a battle maniac. He also has his ancestor's legendary golden staff, the Nyoi-bo (如意棒 lit. "Mind Stick" ) and golden cloud, Kinto-un (筋斗雲 lit. "Somersault Cloud" ). Bikou is extremely fearful of his ancestor, the original Sun Wukong and first Monkey King, claiming that he is a total monster despite his age.
- Kuroka (黒歌)
- Koneko's older sister and a Nekomata who became an SS-class Stray Devil after killing her previous master. Despite the fact that Koneko hates her for what she had done, she still loves her sister dearly, and is willing to use her body to protect her sister from getting hurt. She wants to bear the child of one of the Heavenly Dragons since Vali rejected her, hence why she has turned her eyes towards Issei. In Volume 11 of the light novels, it was revealed that Kuroka did not kill her previous master by becoming drunk on power from absorbing too much malice through Senjutsu but to protect her sister. Apparently her previous master was a power-hungry person who would make even his blood relatives go through crazy power-ups and experiments. Becoming interested in testing the limits of power of a Nekomata, he intended to use Koneko as a test subject. While Kuroka did not mind him using his servants as test subjects (or herself), using his servants' family (namely Koneko) was beyond the pale, especially since Koneko was extremely young at the time and her powers were still unstable. As a result, the experiments would have either permanently made her powers go berserk, driven her insane, or have killed her.
- Her previous position as a Devil is a Bishop, and consumed both pieces of it. She occasionally ends her sentences with Nya (にゃ), as if mimicking a cat's meow. She is the only major Vali Team member to not originate from a hero. Towards the end of Volume 11, she offers to teach Senjutsu and the Youjutsu of the Nekomata to Koneko who accepts, and later moves to the Hyodo Residence in Volume 14 as a semi-permanent resident.
- Fenrir (フェンリル Fenriru )
- Originally Loki's pet and son, a giant wolf with powerful fangs and claws that can kill God, Maou, and even a Dragon. Having God-like speed, Fenrir is considered to be one of the most dangerous beasts in the world rivaling the Two Heavenly Dragons, and is nicknamed the God-Devouring Wolf (神喰狼 Kamijiki Ōkami ). He is defeated by Vali and subjected by Arthur's Excalibur Ruler. As of Volume 11, Fenrir no longer needs to be controlled using Excalibur Ruler, but its abilities are reduced. He has taken a liking to Le Fay, and is often seen with her.
- Gogmagog (ゴグマゴグ Gogumagog )
- A group of golems that were used as weapons of mass destruction created by the ancient God but all the Gogmagogs were abandoned in the Dimensional Gap. After hearing Ophis mentioning about a moving Gogmagog, Vali went to search for it to pick it up. He then gives it to Le Fay Pendragon.
Old Maou Faction
The Old Maou Faction (旧魔王派 KyūmaŌ-ha , lit. "Old Satan Faction") is a faction of the Khaos Brigade consisting of descendants of the original Maous. They are the only group of Devils who resist using the Evil Pieces system, as they believe them to be a disgrace to Devils because they reincarnate Humans and other races into Devils. They are also against the Devils' current system, and seek to change it by overthrowing the current Maous. Vali Lucifer was part of the Old Maou Faction prior to him defecting and forming the Vali Team. The remaining three leaders were later defeated as of Volume 11 of the light novels, causing the Old Maou Faction to weaken. The remaining members were terminated by Ajuka Beelzebub in Volume 12.
- Shalba Beelzebub (シャルバ・ベルゼブブ Sharuba Beruzebubu )
- The descendant of Beelzebub. He and the other descendants of the Maous (except Vali) believe that the current Devil system is mistaken and seeks to change it. He forcefully made Issei activate his Juggernaut Drive and was beaten because of it. He was the last remaining of the Old Maou Faction until Volume 11 of the light novels, where he fought against Issei and was terminated by him but was successful in placing Samael's curse on Issei, causing his death.
- Katerea Leviathan (カテレア・レヴィアタン Katerea Reviatan )
- Voiced by: Harumi Sakurai
- The descendant of Leviathan. She fought against Azazel during the peace treaty between the three factions and manages to make Azazel cut off his own hand but is still defeated by Azazel.
- Creuserey Asmodeus (クルゼレイ・アスモデウス Kuruzerei Asumodeusu )
- The descendant of Asmodeus who fought against Sirzechs, but was killed by the latter.
- Euclid Lucifuge (ユーグリット・ルキフグス Yūguritto Rukifugusu )
- Grayfia's younger brother who leads Grendel into attacking Kuoh Academy. Appears to have a disdain for his sister.
The Hero Faction (英雄派 Eiyū-ha ) is a faction of the Khaos Brigade led by Cao Cao, the descendant of the ambitious ruler of China during the Three Kingdoms era. The faction is allied with Hades, the God from the Realm of the Dead, and it is also the most dangerous faction of the Khaos Brigade due to its members being Sacred Gear, Holy/Demon Sword, and Longinus wielders. The Hero Faction was defeated in Volume 12 when Indra sends the majority of its main members, Cao Cao, Georg and Leonardo to the Realm of the Dead, taking all of their Longinus from them. Siegfried died in battle while Jeanne and Heracles are captured.
- Cao Cao (曹操 Sōsō )
- Cao Cao is the descendant of Cao Cao from the Chinese novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the leader of the Hero Faction. Like his ancestor, he has the eyes to find people with good potential. Cao Cao is a very charismatic person, as he was able to convince many Sacred Gear users to join the Hero Faction. He also believes that it is the responsibility as a descendant of a hero to destroy beings like Devils, Fallen Angels and Dragons that are threats to humans.
- He is a calculative and observant person, as he studies and research on his enemy before he battles them so he can read their movement and attacks. In Volume 9 he lost one of his eyes to Issei's attack, and later replaces the lost eye with Medusa's eye, granting him the ability to turn anything to stone. He is a technique-type who has polished his technique to utmost perfection. Because he is a human, he is physically weaker then Issei and Vali, yet in Volume 11 he singlehandedly takes down the Gremory and Vali groups while protecting Georg and Samael, which results in Vali calling him the "strongest human".
- His Sacred Gear is the True Longinus (黄昏の聖槍（トウルー・ロンギヌス） Tōrū Ronginusu , lit. "Holy Spear of the Setting Sun"), the ultimate Longinus and the same spear that St. Longinus used to kill Jesus Christ. His Balance Breaker, "Polar Night Longinus Chakravartin" (極夜なる天輪聖王の輝廻槍(ポーラーナイト・ロンギヌス・チャクラヴァルティン） Pōrā Naito Ronginusu Chakuravarudin , lit. "Polar Night Becomes Chakravartin’s Bright Curved Spear"), is a sub-species that is much stronger than the actual Balance Breaker of the True Longinus, "True Longinus Geta Demelung" (真冥白夜の聖槍（トウルー・ロンギヌス・ゲッターデメルング） Tōrū Ronginusu Getā Demerungu , lit. "Holy Spear of the Pure White Night"). His Balance Breaker creates seven bowl-sized orbs called the Seven Treasures (七宝 Shippo ), each having a different ability. The True Longinus also has a forbidden form called the "Truth Edea" (覇輝（トゥルース・イデア Turūsu Idea , lit. "Brightness of Supremacy"), which is similar to the Juggernaut Drive.
- Originally from the Khaos Brigade, Cao Cao betrayed them when he stole Ophis, their leader's, power and sided with Hades, the God from the Realm of the Dead, in an attempt to destroy both the Devils and Fallen Angels. After losing to Issei in Volume 12, Cao Cao, Georg and Leonardo was sent to the Realm of the Dead after having their Longinus confiscated by Indra.
- Georg (ゲオルク Georugu )
- Georg is the descendant of Georg Faust, the person who made a pact with the legendary Devil Mephistopheles, and Cao Cao's right-hand man. He possesses the Longinus "Dimension Lost" (絶霧（ディメンジョン・ロスト） Dimenshon Rosuto , lit. "Fog of Extinction"), a barrier-type Longinus that is listed among the top four Longinus. Though it has no offensive abilities, once the mist reaches the scale of countries, it can transfer an entire country and its people into the Dimensional Gap to be destroyed. The Balance Breaker of Dimension Lost, "Dimension Create" (霧の中の理想郷（ディメンション・クリエイト） Dimenshon Kurieito , lit. "Utopia of Mist"), allows the user to use the mist to create a barrier and trap the user's opponents in a different dimension. Aside from the Dimension Lost, Georg is a magician capable of a diverse array of spells, ranging from Norse magic, demonic spells, Fallen Angel spells, black magic, white magic, fairy magic, and the Dragon Gate magic circle. He was sent into the Realm of the Dead along with Cao Cao and Leonardo by Indra in Volume 12.
- Leonardo (レオナルド Reonarudo )
- A boy who wields the Longinus "Annihilation Maker" (魔獣創造（アナイアレイション・メーカー） Anaiareishon Mēkā , lit. "Creation of the Demonic Beast"), which is also listed among the top four strongest Longinus and it has the ability to create any monster its wielder can imagine; however he has yet to fully master it. In Volume 11, he gets kidnapped by Shalba and was brainwashed by the latter into creating 13 gigantic monsters through its sub-species Balance Breaker, "Bandersnatch and Jabberwocky" (破滅の覇獣鬼（バンダースナッチ・アンド・ジャバウォッキー） Bandāsunatchi ando Jabawokkī ), to attack the Underworld. As with Kuroka of the Vali Team, he is the only major Hero Faction member to not originate from a hero. He was sent into the Realm of the Dead along with Cao Cao and Georg by Indra in Volume 12.
- Siegfried (ジークフリート Jīkufurīdo )
- Siegfried is the descendant of Siegfried, the legendary Dragon-slaying hero in Nibelungenlied. He is the one of the top two swordsmen of the Khaos Brigade alongside Arthur Pendragon of the Vali Team, and is nicknamed "The Demon Sword User" (魔剣使い Makentsukai ) and the "Demonic Emperor". In the past, Siegfried worked for the Orthodox Church and is considered the best swordsman after Dulio, bearing the nickname "Chaos-Edge Sieg" (魔剣（カオスエッジ）ジーク Kaosu Ejji Jīku ), but he eventually left the Church and joined the Hero Faction.
- His Sacred Gear is "Twice Critical" (龍の手（トウワイス・クリティカル） Tōwaisu Kuritikaru , lit. "Hand of the Dragon"), a common Sacred Gear and the Sacred Gear Raynare mistook Issei to have possessed. Since it is a sub-species, instead of a gauntlet, it creates a third Dragon Arm on Seigfried's back and doubles his power. Its Balance Breaker, "Chaos Edge Asura Ravage" (阿修羅と魔龍の宴（カオスエッジ・アスラ・レヴィッジ） Kaosu Ejji Asura Revijji , lit. "Feast of Asura and the Demonic Dragon"), allows him to have four Dragon Arms growing out from his back, with his power doubling for each. As a result, he has six Arms in total (including his real arms) in his Balance Breaker form. He has all five Demon Swords – Gram, Balmung, Nothung, Tyrfing, and Dáinsleif – and one Light Sword in his possession.
- He fights Kiba and Xenovia by himself and defeats them with ease in Volume 9. In Volume 11, he has a rematch with Kiba, resulting with the latter cutting off one of his Dragon Arms. In Volume 12, he fought against Yuto for the third and final time, injecting the blood of the original Maou which transforms his body into a monsterous spider while fusing with his Demon Swords. He eventually lost to the latter after Gram left him and chooses Yuto as their new wielder, corroding into dust after his defeat.
- Jeanne (ジャンヌ Jan'nu )
- A beautiful blonde girl who carries the spirit of the Maiden of Orleans, Joan of Arc. She has a cheerful personality and likes to call people nicknames, such as calling Siegfried "Sieg-kun" and Irina "Angel-chan". She defeats Irina in Volume 9. In Volume 12, Jeanne faced off against Irina (for the second time), Akeno and Xenovia, taking the children of the Underworld hostage after feeling at a disadvantage. The situation was reversed by the returning Issei who saved the children, forcing Jeanne to use the same doping used by Siegfried, fusing with her Sacred Gear which creates a Holy Sword Armor, but was still defeated by Issei who simply uses his Dress Break to destroy the armor and shoots a Dragon Shot. She is captured after her defeat.
- Aside from carrying a rapier, Jeanne wields the Sacred Gear "Blade Blacksmith" (聖剣創造（ブレード・ブラックスミス） Burēdo Burakkusumisu , lit. "Creation of the Holy Sword"), which is the Holy Sword version of Kiba's "Sword Birth" that can create numerous Holy Sword of different attributes. Her Balance Breaker, "Stake Victim Dragon" (断罪の聖龍（ステイク・ビクティム・ドラグーン） Suteiku Bikutimu Doragūn , lit. "Holy Dragon of Judgement"), is a sub-species and it creates a Dragon made out of Holy Swords.
- Heracles (ヘラクレス Herakuresu )
- A man who carries the spirit of the Greek mythological hero Heracles. He is a giant and a battle maniac. He defeats a drunk Rossweisse in Volume 9. In Volume 12, he faces against the Sitri Group where he won by taking the children of the Underworld hostage. He then faces Sairaorg in a one-on-one fight which he lost. He is captured after his defeat.
- His Sacred Gear is called "Variant Detonation" (巨人の悪戯（バリアント・デトネイション） Barianto Detoneishon , lit. "Prank of the Giant"), which has the ability to explode the same time it attacks. Its Balance Breaker is called "Detonation Mighty Comet" (超人による悪意の波動（デトネイション・マイティ・コメット） Detoneishon Maiti Kometto , lit. "Malicious Wave of the Superman"), which shoots missile-like objects.
Dragons (ドラゴン Doragon ) are one of the most prominent beings in High School DxD, as well as being one of the most powerful. The majority of Dragons are neutral, as they do not align with any of the three factions. The most famous of the Dragons are the Five Great Dragon Kings (五大龍王 Godai RyūŌ ), Two Heavenly Dragons (二天龍 Nitenryū ), the Dragon God (龍神 Ryūshin ) Ophis, and the True Dragon (真龍 Shinryū ), Great Red. In Volume 14, another class of Dragons known as the Evil Dragons (邪龍 Jaryū ) was introduced and are known to be more powerful than the Dragon Kings.
- Great Red (グレートレッド Gurēto Reddo )
- Called the Apocalypse Dragon (真なる赤龍神帝（アポカリュプス・ドラゴン） Apkaryupusu Doragon ), Great Red is one of the two Dragons that are above the Heavenly Dragons known as the "True Dragon" (真龍 Shinryū ). The second largest Dragon after Midgardsormr, Great Red is known as the most powerful Dragon in existence. Called the "True Red Dragon God Emperor" (真なる赤龍神帝 Shin naru Sekiryūshintei ), and "Dragon of Dragons" (D×D（ドラゴン・オブ・ドラゴン） Doragon obu Doragon , "DxD", for which the series is named after), Great Red lives in the Dimensional Gap and does not interfere in the world.
- In Volume 12, Great Red helped Ophis and Issei by saving them from the crumbling dimension and restored Issei's body with his powers. He also lends Issei his power during his fight with the Jabberwocky created from Leonardo's Annihilation Maker, claiming that the "Beast" (referring to Jabberwocky) was glaring at him. After the battle, he returns to the Dimensional Gap while saying "Zoom Zoom Iyaaan" (from Oppai Dragon's theme song) over and over to Issei and Ddraig's dismay.
- Great Red represents dreams.
- Ophis (オーフィス Ōfisu )
- The Dragon God, the leader and founder of the Khaos Brigade known as the Ouroboros Dragon.
Two Heavenly Dragons
- Ddraig (ドライグ Doraigu )
- Voiced by: Fumihiko Tachiki (Japanese), Christopher Sabat (English)
- Ddraig is the Red Dragon sleeping within Issei. Ddraig is, in fact, one of the two Heavenly Dragons known as the Welsh Dragon (赤い龍（ウェルシュ・ドラゴン） Werushu Doragon ) and the Red Dragon Emperor (赤龍帝 Sekiryūtei ) that has the power the destroy both God and Maou. In the past, Ddraig fought against his arch-rival, the Vanishing Dragon, Albion, which was interfered with by the three factions that are at war during the time. In anger, both Dragons attacked the leaders of three factions, which led to their bodies being destroyed and their souls moved to two separate Sacred Gears, with Ddraig moved to the Longinus "Boosted Gear". Ddraig has telepathically communicated with Issei on various occasion, giving him advice on his fight, and calls Issei his "Partner".
- Ddraig has been brought to tears on many occasions due to Issei's lecherous ways and people calling the two of them the "Breast Dragon Emperor" and "Oppai Dragon" to a point that Ddraig is now in a state of constant (if comical) depression. As of Volume 10 of the light novels, Ddraig will start crying upon hearing the word "Breast".
- Albion (アルビオン Arubion )
- The other Heavenly Dragon known as the Vanishing Dragon (白い龍（バニシング・ドラゴン） アルビオン Banishing Doragon ) and the White Dragon Emperor (白龍皇 Hakuryūkō ), Albion is the White Dragon residing within Vali Lucifer as the Longinus "Divine Dividing". Similar to Ddraig, Albion also has the ability to telepathically communicate with Vali.
- Like Ddraig, Albion has been brought to tears on many occasions due to Issei's lecherous ways and people calling Issei and Ddraig the "Breast Dragon Emperor" and "Oppai Dragon", which resulted in Albion feeling depressed on the fact that they are his rivals. This became even worse after Odin, who wanted to know Vali's interest in women, called them the "Butt Dragon Emperor" (ケツ龍皇 Ketsuryūkō )
Five Great Dragon Kings
- Vritra (ヴリトラ Vuritora )
- The evil Black Dragon known as the Prison Dragon (黒邪の龍王（プリズン・ドラゴン） Purizun Doragon ) and one of the five Dragon Kings. When Vritra was vanquished and sealed into Sacred Gears, its soul was divided into 4 parts: Absorption Line, Blaze Black Flare, Delete Field, and Shadow Prison. These four parts of Vritra's soul have different appearances and have been collected and sealed in Saji's body by Shemhazai, thus restoring Vritra's consciousness. Azazel hypothesized that due to contact with Issei, Vritra's consciousness appeared and might possibly unify all the different Sacred Gears because the other Sacred Gears melted together. Vritra possesses a wide range of special abilities. Though its power might be the lowest amongst the Dragon Kings, Vritra is the king of techniques in terms of variety and unconventionality.
- Tiamat (ティアマット Tiamatto )
- The only female Dragon King, the Blue Dragon known as the Chaos Karma Dragon (天魔の業龍（カオス・カルマ・ドラゴン） Kaosu Karuma Doragon ). She is one of the few active Dragons in the series but has yet to appear. According to Ddraig, Tiamat hates him. She appeared in volume 8, where she was fighting with Issei, after the later was trying to find his own familiar. She lives in forest for familiars.
- Yu-Long (玉龍（ウーロン） Ūron )
- A Green Asian Dragon and Dragon King known as the Mischievous Dragon (西海龍童（ミスチバス・ドラゴン） Misuchibasu Doragon ) and West Sea Dragon Child (西海龍童 Saikai ryūdō ) who went missing along with Sun Wukong prior to the series. He is the youngest among the Five Dragon Kings. He appeared with the original Sun Wukong in Volume 9 during the class trip to Kyoto, aiding Issei and the others against Cao Cao by fending off Yasaka.
- Fafnir (ファーブニル Fābuniru )
- A Golden Dragon known as the Gigantis Dragon (黄金龍君（ギガンティス・ドラゴン） Gigantis Doragon ) and the Golden Dragon Monarch (黄金龍君), Fafnir is one of the Five Dragon Kings that is sealed inside Azazel's artificial Sacred Gear, the Down Fall Dragon Spear. In Volume 14, he made a pact with Asia after being freed of his own contract with Azazel.
- Midgarðsormr (ミドガルズオルム Midogaruzuorumu )
- The Dragon of the End (終末の大龍 Shūmatsu no Dairyū ) and Loki's second son. Known as the Sleeping Dragon (終末の大龍（スリーピング・ドラゴン） Surīpingu Doragon ), Midgarðsormr is one of the Five Dragon Kings who is currently sleeping in the bottom of a Scandinavian sea and is the most powerful of the Five Kings. He was summoned by the Occult Research Club and Vali Team in Volume 7 to ask for advice on how to defeat Loki and Fenrir. He is the largest Dragon in the series, as well as the laziest. He calls his father, Loki, "Daddy" and his brother, Fenrir, "Doggy".
- Crom Cruach (クロウ・クルワッハ Kurō Kuruwahha )
- A Dragon known as the Crescent Circle Dragon (三日月の暗黒龍（クレツセント・サークル・ドラゴン） Kuretsusento Sākuru Doragon , lit. "Dark Dragon of the Crescent Moon"). A mythical Dragon that was only named in one of the novel's short stories, it was said to be a Dragon that rule over death. He was also mentioned in volume 14 by Azazel when he was talking to Issei about evil dragons. According to legend, it was destroyed by the Christian religion while some say that it just went into a deep sleep.
- Grendel (グレンデル Gurenderu )
- An Evil Dragon known as the Crime Force Dragon (大罪の暴龍（クライム・フォース・ドラゴン） Kuraimu Fōsu Doragon , lit. "Berserker Dragon of Great Sin"). Grendel was the Evil Dragon that was slain by the original Beowulf. He was later revived by the Khaos Brigade. Grendel is a psycho Dragon that is only interested in fighting and killing. It is one of the main antagonists of Volume 14. The strength of his punch was said by Issei to be stronger than Sairaog's. He didn't feel any pain when he was fighting Issei in volume 14.
- Aži Dahāka (アジ・ダハーカ Aji Dahāka )
- An Evil Dragon known as the Diabolism Thousand Dragon (魔源の禁龍（ディアボリズム・サウザンド・ドラゴン） Diaborizumu Sauzando Doragon ).
- Apophis (アポプス Apopusu )
- An Evil Dragon known as the Eclipse Dragon (原初なる晦冥龍（エクリプス・ドラゴン） Ekuripusu Doragon ).
- Tannin (タンニーン Tan'nīn )
- Known as the Blaze Meteor Dragon (魔龍聖（ブレイズ・ミーティア・ドラゴン） Bureizu Mītia Doragon ) and the Devil Dragon Saint (魔龍聖 Maryūsei ), he is the Purple Dragon and a former Dragon King that reincarnated and became an Ultimate-Class Devil. He trained Issei in the mountains in order to for him to attain his Balance Breaker. Tannin has a close relationship with Issei ever since he trained him, allowing him to call him "Old Man Tannin" (タンニーンのおっさん Tan'nīn-ossan ). He became a Devil to gain access to the Underworld in order to train young Dragons and preventing their race from going extinct, as the majority of them are either dead, missing, or sealed in Sacred Gears. It is later revealed in Volume 14 that he is Mephisto Pheles' Queen, making him the first male Queen piece.
- Rassei (ラッセー Rassē )
- Asia's pet and familiar. A baby Sprite Dragon (蒼雷龍（スプライト・ドラゴン） Supuraito Doragon , lit. "Blue Lightning Dragon") that shoots blue lightning. Its name is a portmanteau of Raigeki (雷撃, lit. "Lightning Strike", referring to its ability) and Issei's name.
- Samael (サマエル Samaeru , סמאל)
- Known as the Dragon Eater (龍喰者（ドラゴン・イーター） Doragon Ītā ), a beast with an upper body of an Angel and a lower body of an Asian Dragon. It is the natural enemy of all Dragons, having the ability to destroy other Dragons through a powerful curse like poison which are extremely deadly to a Dragon or a Dragon possessor. It is said that long ago, Samael was the perpetrator that influenced the first man, Adam and Eve, to eat the Fruit of Wisdom, and was cursed by God to become a Dragon because of God's hatred on Dragons. Following the curse, it was sealed in the deepest part of the Underworld, Cocytus. Hades summoned it from the Underworld and gave it to Cao Cao temporarily as part of the alliance. During the battle between Cao Cao and the Gremory and Vali teams, Samael's poison was injected into Vali's body, while Issei received the poison through an arrow fused with Samael's blood during his fight with Shalba.
- Flame Dragon (朱炎龍（フレイム・ドラゴン） Fureimu Doragon , lit. "Crimson Flame Dragon")
- A powerful Red Dragon that breathes out flames and is as big as Tannin. It appeared in one of the side stories in Volume 8 of the light novels.
- Blizzard Dragon (氷雪龍（ブリザード・ドラゴン） Burizādo Doragon )
- A High-level Dragon that appears in the side story "The Unresurrected Phoenix". A powerful Dragon that breathes out snow.
- Unnamed Sprite Dragon
- A Sprite Dragon under Tannin that appears in the side story "The Unressurected Phoenix".
Yōkai (妖怪) are group of supernatural monsters from Japanese folklore. There are many species of yōkai. Kunou and Yasaka are Nine-tailed Foxes (九尾の狐 Kyūbi no Kitsune ), while Koneko and Kuroka are Nekomata (猫又, lit. "Forked Cats"), a sub-species of Bakeneko (化け猫, lit. "Monster Cats"). Other types of yōkai include Yuki-onna, Kappa, Karasu-Tengu, and Nue. The ones shown so far are led by Yasaka in Kyoto. For Devils to visit, permission has to be requested ahead and special "tickets" given, allowing access to the various shrines and temples without feeling fear from Holy elements or receiving damage from traversing Holy Ground.
- Sun Wukong (孫悟空 Son Gokū )
- Bikou's ancestor, he is the first Monkey King who is known as "The Great Victorious Fighting Buddha" (闘戦勝仏（とうせんしょうぶつ） Tōsen Shōbutsu ). He appeared alongside Yu-Long in Kyoto, helping Issei and his friends during their fight against Cao Cao. He is extremely powerful, as he was able to overpower several members of the Hero Faction within seconds, a considerable feat as they were all Sacred Gear and Holy Sword users. He was even able to block Cao Cao's True Longinus with a single finger, which was even complimented by Azazel as the True Longinus is a spear capable of killing God.
- Sun Wukong carries a staff that extend and retract in size and length in battle. He is a master of Senjutsu and Youjutsu as well, being capable of rejuvanating Issei with a single touch of his staff. He is currently looking for Bikou, which the latter speculates that it is because he joined a terrorist organization (Khaos Brigade).
- Yasaka (八坂)
- Kunou's mother. Like her daughter, she is also a nine-tailed fox and an extremely powerful yōkai that is on par with an Ultimate-Class Devil. She was captured by Cao Cao under the intention of opening the Dragon Gate to test the effect the Dragon Eater Samael can have on Great Red. She is eventually rescued by Issei and his friends who are on their trip in Kyoto. In Volume 12, Yasaka led her fellow yōkai to assist the Underworld in their crisis, easily disposing of one of the Bandersnatch.
Vampires (吸血鬼 Kyūketsuki ) are a race of supernatural creatures even more proud and aloof than Devils. While some Devils, particularly the Gremory clan, treat their slaves/servants like family or allow advancement in rank, while for a Vampire to be treated as high-class, they have to be born into a high-class Vampire family. Transformed vampires are despised and eternally low-class and none of the clans are considered to even be close to treating their slaves even remotely as family. Gasper is despised for being half-human, his out-of-control Sacred Gear, and apparently the "Darkness" Vampire powers he used to defeat Georg. Like the stories tell, Vampires are weak against sunlight, garlic and holy items. Although Gasper's clan, the Vladi, have a clan trait of being Daywalkers, meaning sunlight won't kill or hurt them any more than it does Devils. Vampires are mostly cut off from other groups by preference, and word is that fighting between clans broke out shortly after one clan got hold of a Longinus user.
- Elmenhilde Galnstein (エルメンヒルデ・カルンスタイン Erumenhirude Garunsutain )
- Nicknamed Elmen (エルメン Erumen ), she is a member of the Carmilla Faction (カーミラ派 Kamīra-ha ), an all-female Vampire faction. She appears in Volume 14 as a special Envoy of the Carmilla Faction wanting Gasper to join their side.
- Valerie Tepes (ヴァレリー・ツェペシュ Varerī Tsepeshu )
- A Vampire belonging to the Tepes Faction (ツェペシュ派 Tepeshu-ha ), an all-male Vampire faction. Like Gasper, she is a Dhampir and the two had been childhood friends. She was the one that helped Gasper escape from the Vampire world. After helping Gasper escape, she awakened her Longinus and indirectly helped her clan to enhance its power. She wields the Longinus "Sephiroth's Grail" (幽世の聖杯（セフイロト・グラール） Sefuiroto Gurāru , lit. "Holy Chalice of the Secluded World"), one of the four Holy Relics alongside the True Longinus.
Tennis Club monsters
- Christie (クリスティ Kurisuti )
- Christie is a gorilla under Abe who the latter claims is a yuki-onna. Apparently Yuki-onna being beautiful maidens was a tall tale, as they really look like Yetis, but the freezing breath is real. Has a crush on Issei after seeing the latter wear Honda's armor, much to Issei's shock and dismay.
- "No-Head" Honda (ノーヘッド本田 Nōheddo Honda )
- Honda is a Dullahan (デュラハン Dyurahan ), a set of animate armor that carries its head under one arm, who is also under Abe. He is able to give immense strength to its wearer but the person wearing it cannot take it off until some time has passed due to a curse. The armor gets hot often so it was able to help protect Issei from Christie's freezing breath during the tennis match with Abe. When Issei first met Honda, it was acting as the tennis team's headless mascot since Abe, being a beast tamer, was watching over the armor and its horse while the head was at the hospital recovering from a hernia. Normally Honda being a supernatural monster wouldn't be allowed near the tennis team, but Rias and Sona were okay with it since he was doing it as the tennis team's official mascot. This shocked Issei not only because Honda is obviously supernatural, but also for his high popularity with the girls of the tennis team.
- Takahashi (高橋)
- Estleena (エステリーナ Esuterīna )
- Issei's Parents (イッセーの両親 Issē no Ryōshin )
- Issei's unnamed parents who had seen him as a foolish son drowned in sexual desire that recently became straight. Moreover, they seemed to have given up on seeing the face of their grandchild in this lifetime, and were much rejoiced to the point of crying by the advent of Rias and the other girls.
- Momo Momozono (桃園 モモ Momozono Momo )
- Voiced by: Risa Tsubaki (TV Momo), Arisa Noto (Alarm clock Momo) (Japanese), Elisa Castillo (English)
- An anime-exclusive character, she is an adult video actress who portrays the tokusatsu heroine Kaben Rider Pinky (花弁ライダーピンキー Kaben Raidā Pinkī , lit. "Pedal Rider Pinky", based on the Kamen Rider Series). Issei, Matsuda, and Motohama are all huge fans of her. She appears in the first episode of the anime where the Perverted Trio are watching Kaben Rider Pinky, and in the last episode as one of the various characters featured on Issei's alarm clock (albeit voiced by a different actress).
- Morisawa (森沢)
- Voiced by: Tsuyoshi Aoki (Japanese), Ricco Fajardo (English)
- A regular client of Koneko and later Issei. He is a lolicon. Like Issei, he is a huge fan of Drag So-Ball.
- Mil-tan (ミルたん Miru-tan )
- Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (Japanese), Chris Rager (English)
- One of Issei's regular clients, a male bodybuilder who wishes to become a magical girl. He ends his sentences with "Nyo" (にょ).
- Freed Sellzen (フリード・セルゼン Furīdo Seruzen )
- Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Japanese), Ben Phillips (English)
- Father Freed Sellzen is an exiled exorcist who only kills for his own desire. He kills Devils and humans who make contracts with Devils, claiming they are already stained to the extent beyond salvation. He is a wanted criminal at the Vatican. He does not believe in God from the start, as he only wanted to kill monsters. He is a battle-maniac, and prefers violence rather than logic. He is the most hated person to both exorcists and Devils. After being banished by the Orthodox Church, Freed sided with the Fallen Angels and fought Issei and his friends on numerous occasions. During his alliance with Kokabiel, Freed wielded three of the seven Excaliburs: Excalibur Rapidly, Excalibur Nightmare, and Excalibur Transparency, prior to them being merged. He was defeated by Yuto, having his torso sliced by the latter. He later joins the Khaos Brigade and have the remains of his body attached to a Chimera before being killed by Yuto.
- According to Xenovia, Freed is considered a genius exorcist at the age of 13. This is further proven when he wielded an Excalibur that is the fusion of four out of the seven Excalibur with ease. Freed has also been shown as a pervert, as he once threatened to rape Asia for disobeying him and even asked Raynare to have sex with her as a reward for saving her from Rias.
- Susan (スーザン Sūzan )
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- One of Issei's clients who appeared in the side story "The Work of a Devil", an American college student donned in samurai armor who is studying abroad.
- Horii (堀井)
- Voiced by: Shinobu Matsumoto (Japanese), Christopher Corey Smith (English)
- Susan's lover, a man donned in knight armor. Appeared at the end of the side story "The Work of a Devil".
- Shuri Himejima (姫島 朱璃 Himejima Shuri )
- Akeno's mother and Baraqiel's wife. A priestess coming from a well-known shrine, Shuri saved Baraqiel's life when he was injured, and later fell in love with him. However, her relationship did not go well with her family, as they believe her to be brainwashed by the Fallen Angel. To that end, her family sent attackers to dispatch the Fallen Angel and bring her back. She was killed defending Akeno when several of Baraqiel's enemies attacked her home while the latter was away, resulting in Akeno's hatred towards her father for not protecting her mother. It is revealed in one of the side stories that Shuri was a sadist like her daughter, and engaged in S&M acts with her husband every night.
- Belzard (ベルザード Beruzādo )
- One of the former wielders of the Boosted Gear and is known as the strongest possessor, defeating two White Dragon Emperors in his lifetime.
- Elsha (エルシャ Erusha )
- Another former wielder of the Boosted Gear and is known as the strongest female possessor. She appears in Volume 9 alongside Belzard inside the Boosted Gear, providing Issei the "box" to tap into the full power of the Red Dragon Emperor.
Is a powerful being which sealed by Bible God and causing God exhaustion when join the Great War. 666 is only one which has power that can equaling Great Red.
- Issei's name is often spelled in katakana as Issē (イッセー). This reading is often said by characters who have a close relationship with him.
- "キャスト＆スタッフ｜アニメ「ハイスクールDxD」" (in Japanese). Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "Funimation Reveals High School DxD, Future Diary Dub Casts". Anime News Network. May 25, 2013. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "スタッフ＆キャスト｜アニメ「ハイスクールDxD NEW」オフィシャルサイト" (in Japanese). Retrieved August 2, 2013.