List of Home and Away characters (2014)
Home and Away is an Australian television soap opera. It was first broadcast on the Seven Network on 17 January 1988. The following is a list of characters that appeared or will appear in 2014, by order of first appearance. All characters are introduced by the serial's executive producer, Lucy Addario. The 27th season of Home and Away began airing from 27 January 2014. The following month saw the characters Sean Green and Denny Miller introduced. Linda Somerset began appearing from April. Sophie Taylor arrived in June, while Martin Ashford made his debut in October. Jolene Anderson was introduced as Neive Devlin in November.
Sean Green, played by Khan Chittenden, made his first screen appearance on 6 February 2014. The character and Chittenden's casting was announced during the 1–7 February 2014 issue of TV Week. Sean is a part of established character Andy Barrett's (Tai Hara) "dark" past. Sean turns up in Summer Bay and trashes the gym, shortly after Andy begins working there. Andy is then blamed for the damage and shortly afterwards, he runs into Sean. Hara commented "Andy's shocked because Sean's the last person he'd expected to see in Summer Bay. Andy thought he was in jail." Sean wants Andy to go to the police and change his story about a deal they were both involved in. Sean then threatens Andy's younger brother, Josh (Jackson Gallagher) and his girlfriend.
|Home and Away character|
|Portrayed by||Jessica Grace Smith|
|First appearance||12 February 2014|
|Introduced by||Lucy Addario|
Denise "Denny" Miller, played by Jessica Grace Smith, made her first screen appearance on 12 February 2014. The character and casting was announced on 28 January 2014. Smith won the role in 2013, a week before she planned to move to Los Angeles. The actress commented "It was crazy! My bags were almost packed for LA. I was so stoked to be a part of the show and have full time work. It's an actor's dream." Denny is a tomboy and Smith described her as being honest and "pretty straight up". Smith branded Denny "not your typical girl" and adding that she will work in the bait shop with Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher).
Denny attends the funeral of Ethan MacGuire (Matt Minto), attracting the attention of Hannah Wilson (Cassie Howarth). At the end of the service, Hannah approaches Denny and asks who she is. Denny is defensive and she leaves. Hannah sees Denny again and apologises for getting off on the wrong foot. She explains that she is Ethan's sister-in-law and Denny tells her she is Ethan's daughter. Hannah asks Denny not to tell Oscar (Jake Speer) and Evelyn MacGuire (Philippa Northeast) about herself, while they deal with the death of their father. Denny rents a caravan at the local caravan park and later meets up with Hannah and Ethan's brother Zac (Charlie Clausen). She asks to meet the twins, but Hannah tells her they have been through a lot due to being members of a cult. Zac later shows Denny a picture of herself as a baby that he found among Ethan's possessions, and she realises that Ethan knew she existed. Denny decides to the leave the Bay, after failing to bond with Evelyn, but when Evelyn comes to talk to Denny, they bond and Denny stays. She eventually moves into The Farmhouse with her family and she begins working at Alf Stewart's bait shop.
Chris Harrington (Johnny Ruffo) flirts with Denny and she agrees to go on a date with him. After a rocky start, Denny and Chris begin dating. However, Chris is shocked at the extent of Denny's feelings for him and they break up. Denny becomes attracted to Casey Braxton (Lincoln Younes), which upsets Chris. Denny and Chris briefly reconcile when Chris admits he is ready to commit to her, but they soon break up again. Denny then begins a relationship with Casey. Cody Dalton (Aaron Glenane) and his men threaten Casey and attempt to crush his hand in a weight machine. Denny tries to help him, but she is held back. She manages to text Casey's brother, Darryl Braxton (Steve Peacocke), but Cody catches her and attempts to hurt her. Cody and his men leave, but they later kidnap Evelyn and Josh Barrett (Jackson Gallagher). Casey create a romantic surprise for Denny and then tells her they are going away for a few days. However, when Casey goes to help rescue a kidnapped Josh, he is shot by Jake Pirovic (Fletcher Humphrys) and Kyle Braxton (Nic Westaway) informs Denny that Casey died.
|Home and Away character|
|Portrayed by||Hannah Britland|
|First appearance||1 April 2014|
|Last appearance||15 April 2014|
|Introduced by||Lucy Addario|
Linda Somerset, played by Hannah Britland, made her first screen appearance on 1 April 2014. Britland appears as Linda in five or six episodes as part of a storyline which sees several show regulars come to London. Britland commented "There is a possibility that I might go out to Australia next year, but nothing is confirmed yet. They came here and met Linda in London, so I was representing Britain for all the Australians to see. I hope I don’t mess it up for us!" The role gave Britland a chance to improve her Australian accent, which she thought was better than it was, until the Australian crew began laughing at her. Britland added "Linda is definitely British not Australian – she's from Preston." It was later confirmed that Casey Braxton (Lincoln Younes) would have a holiday romance with Britland's character. Younes stated that Casey and Linda would "hit it off from the get-go" and that she was fun.
Linda spots Casey Braxton on a tour bus. She later finds him in Trafalgar Square and gives him directions, before spending the rest of the day with him. Linda takes Casey back to her apartment and they have sex. Casey has to leave suddenly when he learns his brother has been taken to the hospital. Casey later returns to Linda's apartment and stays the night. After returning to Australia, Casey video chats with Linda. She asks Casey to return, but he tells her that he needs to stay and be with his family for the time being. A couple of weeks later, Linda invites Casey back to London. However, he tells her that he is dealing with some things at home and decides that they should not see or contact each other again.
|Home and Away character|
|Portrayed by||Bridgette Sneddon|
|First appearance||3 June 2014|
|Introduced by||Lucy Addario|
|Occupation||Principal of Summer Bay High|
Sophie Taylor, played by Bridgette Sneddon, made her first screen appearance on 3 June 2014. The character and Sneddon's casting was announced on 7 December 2013. Sneddon auditioned for the role on the advice of her agent and partner Steve Peacocke, who plays Darryl Braxton in the show. The actress filmed her first scenes during the week commencing 9 December. Holly Byrnes from the Herald Sun reported at the time Sneddon had not learned whether her character would have any airtime with Brax. Of her casting, Sneddon commented "I'm so happy. For so long, Steve's been talking about how great working on Home and Away is. Now I get to experience that too – plus we get to spend more time together, so it's win-win!"
Sophie has been billed as having "a connection to the Bay which brings her back", while Sneddon said her arrival will stir things up. Rebecca Lake from TV Week later reported that Sophie is Nate Cooper's (Kyle Pryor) estranged wife. Sneddon called Sophie's arrival "dramatic" and said she would apprehensive about seeing Nate for the first time in years, while Pryor quipped that Nate is shocked and horrified to see Sophie. Sophie reveals to Nate that she has got a job in town and will be staying around indefinitely. She also admits that she still loves him and wants him back.
Martin "Ash" Ashford, played by George Mason made his first screen appearance on 27 October 2014. Mason's casting was announced on 30 July 2014, after he was spotted filming with the cast and crew at Palm Beach in Sydney. A Woman's Day reporter commented that Mason would "bring an explosive plot line" to the show. Ash comes to Summer Bay looking for Darryl Braxton (Steve Peacocke). Mason described his character as being "chilled" and said "He plays up like a second-hand lawnmower but it's all in good fun. I don't think he takes life too seriously but when it comes to family he definitely wants somewhere to belong." He added that Ash had a good heart, but his upbringing meant that he was a bit of a bad guy.
Neive Devlin, played by Jolene Anderson, made her first screen appearance on 12 November 2014. The character and Anderson's casting was announced on 22 June 2014. Anderson has a three month guest stint with the show and she commented, "I flew in to spend some time with my family and all of a sudden a couple of auditions came up. There was one in Melbourne and I thought 'no, too cold' and then this came up and I thought 'Sydney in winter is not too bad actually' and it's been beautiful." Anderson began filming a week before her casting was announced. Anderson described her character as "a woman in a man's world" and added that Neive's arrival would rock one of the show's established relationships. Anderson later said Neive was "a fun character", which attracted her to the role, and that she liked how well the writers wrote for her. Anderson added, "She is quite blunt and doesn't mind speaking her mind. I think she lacks a filter. It's a kind of energy in a character I have never played."
|17 March – 29 July||Harley||Various babies||Harley is Heath Braxton (Dan Ewing) and Jess Lockwood's (Georgia Chara) son. He was delivered by Heath and Nate Cooper (Kyle Pryor) on the beach in Summer Bay. Jess takes Harley back to Melbourne with her. Heath later brings Harley back to the Bay to stay with him. His wife, Bianca (Lisa Gormley), struggles to bond with Harley, even when Heath tried to cheer him up with Rocco's bear, but Bianca snatches it from him.|
|27 March–||Eloise Page||Darcey Wilson||Eloise is Matt Page's (Alec Snow) younger sister. Sasha Bezmel (Demi Harman) meets Eloise when she comes to check up on Matt, who is looking after her. After Eloise and Matt's father goes back to prison, a neighbour contacts the authorities to take Eloise into care. Matt takes her to the diner and Sasha looks after them. She convinces Matt to let Eloise go into care, as it will be better for them both. Eloise's father, Gray, comes to Summer Bay and takes her out of her foster home for the day, so she can spend time with him and Matt. Gray is later arrested for taking Eloise without permission.|
|1 April||Walkerby||Nick Grimshaw||The walkerby bumps into Heath Braxton (Dan Ewing), who then has a go at him. Darryl Braxton (Steve Peacocke) also gets in the walkerby's face.|
|UK Celebrity||Eliza Doolittle||Ricky Sharpe (Bonnie Sveen) becomes Doolittle's official photographer for her upcoming promotional tour.|
|Security Guard||Derek Lea||The Security Guard stops Darryl Braxton (Steve Peacocke) from trying to talk to Ricky Sharpe (Bonnie Sveen), while she is photographing Eliza Doolittle. Brax punches him and takes off after Ricky.|
|2–3 April||Dr Matthews||Huw Higginson||Dr Matthews treats Darryl Braxton (Steve Peacocke) when he is brought in following a car accident. He becomes worried when Brax suffers a seizure and urges Nurse Tennyson (Danielle King) to find his next of kin. When Casey Braxton arrive, he tells Dr Matthews that Brax hit his head a couple of years ago and needed surgery. Dr Matthews then orders an MRI.|
|Nurse Tennyson||Danielle King||Nurse Tennyson works with Dr Matthews (Huw Higginson) to find out who Darryl Braxton (Steve Peacocke) is and what is wrong with him. Tennyson later informs Brax's brother, Casey (Lincoln Younes), that Brax has a broken leg and has experienced a seizure. Tennyson helps to stabilise Brax after he has a cardiac arrest.|
|2 April||Poisoned Diner||Ryan Bennett||After eating Chris Harrington's (Johnny Ruffo) mushroom risotto, the diner collapses and is taken to the hospital, where his condition deteriorates rapidly.|
|10 April||Docs Worker||Cheryl Ward||The Docs Worker takes Eloise Page (Darcey Wilson) into care, after her father is jailed.|
|8 May–10 June||Mark Nicholson||Steve Rodgers||Mark is Phoebe Nicholson's father and a lawyer. He meets Kyle and thinks his surname is Bennett, but soon finds out that Kyle has changed it to Braxton. Mark does a background check on Kyle and learns about Kyle kidnapping Casey Braxton two years earlier and tries to get Phoebe to leave him. Mark then gives Kyle $50,000 to leave Phoebe alone and he tries to reject it.|
|8 July–||Mitch Todd||Matthew Pearce||Mitch bullies Oscar MacGuire while they complete community service together.|
|18 August–||Cody Dalton||Aaron Glenane||Cody follows Casey Braxton to the local gym, where he, Jim and Boris threaten to harm Casey and Denny Miller, if Casey does not tell them where Andy Barrett is. After leaving the gym, the group go to Casey's home and kidnap Andy's brother, Josh, and Evelyn MacGuire. Cody takes them to the farmhouse and calls Andy to tell him what he has done. Andy later turns up and after he gives Cody money, Cody, Jim and Boris leave.|
|Jim Stone||John Harding|
|Boris Struik||Nathan Waring|
|25 September–||Tyson Lee||Ben Bennett||Tyson is a bully at Summer Bay High student, who bullies VJ Patterson. After he fakes a head injury to get VJ into trouble, Sophie Taylor suspends him. Tyson and his friends later kidnap VJ.|
|9 October–||Gray Page||Craig Ball||After he gets out of rehab, Gray comes to Summer Bay to see his son, Matt. He is furious that his family have been split up and he hits Matt. Matt gets him a caravan to stay in and buys him some food. Gray manipulates Matt into staying with him, instead of letting him studying for his HSC. Matt's girlfriend, Sasha Bezmel, worries about Gray's influence on Matt.|
|23 October–||Keith Pots||Drayton Morley||Keith meets Spencer Harrington at the Surf Club, and they chat about the area. When Spencer turns up at the local motel to meet his internet date Amy, Keith greets him and explains that Amy is his daughter. He wanted to meet Spencer first to make sure he was who he said he was. Spencer waits for Amy in the motel room, but he soon realises she is not coming. Keith shuts the door and he tries to touch Spencer, who punches him.|
|23 October||Magistrate Gail McCarthy||Sarah Woods||Gail comes to Marilyn Chambers and John Palmer's house to finalise their adoption of Jett James.|
|1 December||Dean Sanders||Kevin Kiernan-Molloy|
|1 December||Sam||Wade Briggs|
- Knox, David (20 January 2014). "Returning: Home and Away". TV Tonight. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Miller, Erin (1–7 February 2014). "Blast from the past!". TV Week (5): 15.
- "Soap Diary". TV Week (6). 8–14 February 2014.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (28 January 2014). "Home and Away: Jessica Grace Smith joins show as newcomer Denny". Digital Spy. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "The girl from Hoghton who became a TV star". Lancashire Evening Post. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (24 March 2014). "Home and Away: Casey Braxton has holiday romance in London". Digital Spy. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Field, Melissa (3 February 2014). "This is a really special time for us". New Idea (5): 26–27.
- Giles, Amber (22 May 2014). "Steve is my perfect match". OK! Magazine Australia (23): 38–41.
- Byrnes, Holly (7 December 2013). "Bridgette Sneddon thrilled to join her Logie-winning boyfriend Steve Peacocke on Home And Away". Herald Sun. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Lake, Rebecca (31 May – 6 June 2014). "Surprise arrival". TV Week (22): 12–13.
- "George Mason". Sue Barnett & Associates. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Soap Diary". TV Week (43). 25–31 October 2014.
- Vrajlal, Alicia (30 July 2014). "Revealed: Home And Away's newest heartthrob George Mason shares striking resemblance to Sons Of Anarchy star Charlie Hunnam". Daily Mail. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "Spoiler: George Mason to join Home And Away cast". Woman's Day. 31 July 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Domjen, Briana (12 October 2014). "New soap hunk Kiwi George Mason has Home & Away fans all in a lather". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "Jolene Anderson". Lisa Mahon Creative Management. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Jolene joins Summer Bay". New Idea (44): 105. 27 October 2014.
- Byrnes, Holly (22 June 2014). "Coldplay's Chris Martin puts boot into Channel 7's Sunrise but praises The Voice for audience reception". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Longhetti, Chloe-Lee (25 July 2014). "All Saints Jolene Anderson will stir up love trouble in guest role on Home and Away". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Soap Diary". TV Week (11): 38. 15–21 March 2014.
- Series Producer: Lucy Addario; Director: Geoffrey Nottage; Writers: Andrew Osborne, Kate Bradley (27 March 2014). "Episode 5930". Home and Away. Seven Network.
- "Radio 1's Nick Grimshaw records Home and Away cameo". BBC News. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Harp, Justin (30 March 2014). "Eliza Doolittle to cameo in Home and Away – pictures". Digital Spy. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Series Producer: Lucy Addario; Director: Scott Hartford Davis; Writer: Louise Bowes (1 April 2014). "Episode 5932". Home and Away. Seven Network.
- Series Producer: Lucy Addario; Director: Scott Hartford Davis; Writers: Louise Bowes, Lily Taylor (2 April 2014). "Episode 5933". Home and Away. Seven Network.
- Series Producer: Lucy Addario; Director: Arnie Custo; Writers: Brooke Wilson, Nick King (10 April 2014). "Episode 5940". Home and Away. Seven Network.
- "Bribery scandal!". TV Week (19): 35. 10–16 May 2014.
- Sarkari, Karishma (8 July 2014). "The Bay's a long way away from home! Actor Matthew Pearce goes from macadamia farm in Bundaberg to bad boy in Summer Bay". Daily Mail. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Aaron Glenane". StarNow. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "John Harding". Encompass Entertainment Group. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Series Producer: Lucy Addario; Director: Karl Zwicky; Writer: Nick King (18 August 2014). "Episode 6031". Home and Away. Seven Network.
- "Ben Bennett". benbennettofficial.com. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "News". Lee Leslie Management. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- Series Producer: Lucy Addario; Director: Scott Hartford Davis; Writers: Lily Taylor and Tracey Trinder (23 October 2014). "Episode 6080". Home and Away. Seven Network.
- McWhirter, Erin (29 November – 5 December 2014). "Blood in the Dust". TV Week (48): 10–13.
- Characters and cast at the Official AU Home and Away website
- Characters and cast at the Official UK Home and Away website
- Characters and cast at the Internet Movie Database