List of Honda transmissions
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2009)|
Honda's automatic transmissions are unusual in that they do not use planetary gears like nearly all other makers. Instead, the Hondamatic and its successors use traditional, individual gears on parallel axes like a manual transmission, with each gear ratio engaged by a separate hydraulic clutch pack. This design is also noteworthy because it preserves engine braking by eliminating a sprag between first and second gears
Honda was forced to invent their new system due to the vast array of patents on automatic transmission technology held by BorgWarner and others.
Honda initially chose to integrate the transmission and engine block for its first application (in the N360) as in the Mini. The Hondamatic incorporated a lockup function, which Honda called a third ratio, and had manual gear selection. The company's early transmissions also used a patented torque converter which used stator force rather than hydraulic controls for shifting.
The company's naming scheme is also confusing, as it is specific to a single model of vehicle and some identifiers are reused.
- 1973–1979 H2 — 2-speed
- 1979–1985 H3 — 3-speed
- 1983–1991 H4 — 4-speed (aka AS/AK/F4/CA/P1/K4/L4/PY8A/ML4A/MY8A)
- 1986–1990 G4 — 4-speed (aka L5/PL5X)
- 1989–1991 Civic AWD — 4-speed (aka MPSA/S5)
- Honda Civic AWD
- 1990–1997 H4A — 4-speed (aka A6VA/AOYA/APX4/APXA/BOYA/MP1A/MP1B/MPJA/MPOA/MPWA/MPXA/PX4B)
- 1990–2000 Integra — 4-speed (aka MP7A/MPRA/RO/S4XA/SKWA/SP7A)
- 1991–1998 Vigor — 4-speed (aka M1WA/MPWA)
- 1991–2003 MPYA — 4-speed (aka MPYA/M5DA/M5HA/MPYA)
- 1992–2003 S24A — 4-speed (also A24A/A2YA/A4RA/B46A/B4RA/B7ZA/BDRA/BMXA/M24A/M4RA/M4TA/MCVA/MDLA/MDMA/MRVA/S4RA/SLXA)
- Civic, del Sol, CR-V
- 1995–2002 B7XA — 4-speed (aka B7TA/B7VA/B7YA/M7ZA/MPZA)
- 1996–2003 Multimatic — CVT (also M4VA/MLYA/SLYA)
- 1997–2002 M6HA — 4-speed (also B6VA/BAXA/MAXA/MDWA/MGRA)
- 2000– H5 — 5-speed (also B7WA/BAYA/BCLA/BGFA/BGHA/BYBA/M7WA/MAYA/MCLA/MDKA/MGFA/MGHA/MRMA)
- 2010– H6 — 6-speed
- A2Q5-1986-87 Honda Accord 5 Speed FI
- A2Q6-1986-87 Honda Accord 5 speed carb
- E2Q5-1988 Honda Accord 5 speed FI
- E2Q6-1988 Honda Accord 5 speed carb
- E2R5-1989 Honda Accord 5 speed FI
- E2R6-1989 Honda Accord 5 speed carb
- E5F P4A-1998 Honda Civic LX
- S20 1992-1995 Honda Civic DX,LX,VX
- S40 1992-1995 Honda Civic EX,Si, 97-99 Honda Civic Coupe EX
- "The Hondamatic Transmission". Honda.Com. Retrieved February 25, 2006.