List of Iron Age hoards in Great Britain
The list of Iron Age hoards in Britain comprises significant archaeological hoards of coins, jewellery, precious and scrap metal objects and other valuable items discovered in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) that are associated with the British Iron Age, approximately 8th century BC to the 1st century AD. It includes both hoards that were buried with the intention of retrieval at a later date (personal hoards, founder's hoards, merchant's hoards, and hoards of loot), and also hoards of votive offerings which were not intended to be recovered at a later date, but excludes grave goods and single items found in isolation. Hoards of Celtic coins dating from the time of the Roman occupation of Britain are also included here.
List of hoards
|Hoard||Image||Date||Place of discovery||Year of discovery||Current Location||Contents|
|Alton hoards||mid 1st century AD||Alton
|1996||British Museum, London||50 gold staters of Commios, Tincomarus and Epillus (Hoard A)
206 gold staters of Tincomarus and Verica (Hoard B)
1 Roman gold ring
1 Roman gold bracelet
|Aylesbury Hoard||mid 1st century BC||near Aylesbury
|1998–1999||Buckinghamshire County Museum||40 gold staters|
|Beaminster Hoard||early 1st century||Beaminster
|2003||Dorset County Museum||160 silver staters|
|Beverley Hoard (1999)||mid 1st century BC||Beverley
|1999–2007||Hull Museums Collections
British Museum, London
|110 gold staters|
|Climping Hoard||mid 1st century BC||Climping
|2000||British Museum (8)||18 gold staters[note 1]|
|Farmborough Hoard||early 1st century||Farmborough
|1984||British Museum||61 gold staters|
|Field Baulk Hoard||mid 1st century||Field Baulk, March
|1982||British Museum||872 silver coins minted by the Iceni tribe, in a round pot|
|Great Leighs Hoard||mid 1st century BC||Great Leighs
|1998–1999||Chelmsford Museums||40 gold staters|
|Hallaton Treasure||1st century AD||Hallaton
|2000||Harborough Museum||5,000 silver and gold coins
a silver gilt Roman parade helmet
|Honingham Hoard||mid 1st century AD||Honingham
|1954||Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery||341 Iceni silver coins|
|Ipswich Hoard (1968-1969)||1st century BC||Ipswich
|1968–1969||British Museum||6 torcs|
|Kimbolton Hoard||mid 1st century BC||Kimbolton
|2010||67 gold staters and one gold quarter-stater|
|Langstone Hoard||mid 1st century AD||Ringland
|2007||2 bronze bowls and a bronze wine strainer|
|Little Horwood Hoard||1st century BC||Little Horwood, Aylesbury Vale
|2006–2007||Buckinghamshire County Museum||75 staters found over an 11 month period which are said to be part of the Whaddon Chase Hoard|
|Llyn Cerrig Bach Hoard||4th century BC to 1st century AD||Llyn Cerrig Bach, near Valley
|1942||National Museum Cardiff||Votive objects deposited over a period of several hundred years, comprising over 150 items of bronze and iron, including 7 swords, 6 spearheads, fragments of a shield, part of a bronze trumpet, 2 gang chains, fragments of iron wagon tyres and horse gear, blacksmith's tools, fragments of two cauldrons, and iron bars|
|Llyn Fawr Hoard||8th to 7th century BC||Llyn Fawr Lake, Rhigos
|1909–1913||National Museum Cardiff||Bronze cauldron, a number of chisels, sickles and socketed axes, a sword, a spearhead, a razor, and horse harness equipment|
|North Foreland Hoard||early 1st century BC||North Foreland
|1999||Quex Park Museum, Birchington-on-Sea||63 potin (a bronze alloy with high tin content) coins|
|Peatling Magna Hoard||mid 1st century BC||Peatling Magna, near Market Harborough
|2012||Harborough Museum||10 gold staters minted in northern France or the Low Countries|
|Salisbury Hoard||3rd century BC[note 2]||Netherhampton, near Salisbury
|1988||British Museum, London||over 600 objects, mostly miniature bronze versions of shields, tools, daggers and spearheads|
|Scole Hoard||mid 1st century BC||Scole
|1982–1983||202 Iceni silver coins and 87 Roman coins|
|Sedgeford Hoard||1st century BC||Sedgeford
|2003||King's Lynn Museum||39 Gallo-Belgic gold staters, concealed inside a cowbone|
|Shalfleet Hoard||late 1st century BC to early 1st century AD||Shalfleet
Isle of Wight
|2009||Sold at Bonhams, 2011.||Four large bowl-shaped silver ingots, six small silver fragments and one gold British B (or "Chute") stater of Late Iron Age date.|
|Silsden Hoard||mid 1st century AD||Silsden
|1998||Cliffe Castle Museum, Keighley||27 gold coins and a finger ring|
|Snettisham Hoard||mid 1st century BC||Ken Hill, near Snettisham
|1948–1973||British Museum, London
Norwich Castle Museum
|over 150 gold torc fragments (over 70 of which form complete torcs), and various objects made of metal and jet|
|South Norfolk Hoard||late 1st century BC||South Norfolk||2012–2013||Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery||44 'Norfolk Wolf' debased gold staters|
|South Wight Hoard||late 1st century BC to early 1st century AD||South Wight
Isle of Wight
|2004||British Museum. Acquired by the museum in 2005, with the aid of an Art Fund grant||18 gold staters, 138 silver staters, 1 thin silver coin, 7 copper alloy coins of the Roman period, 2 bowl shaped silver ingots, 1 bowl shaped copper alloy ingot, 5 sherds of Iron Age pottery |
|Stirling Hoard||3rd to 1st century BC||Near Blair Drummond
|2009||National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh||4 gold torcs|
|Syngenta Hoard[note 3]||mid 1st century BC||Jealott's Hill, near Bracknell
|1998||Reading Museum||58 gold coins|
|Tal-y-Llyn Hoard||1st century AD||near Tal-y-llyn Lake, Cadair Idris
|1963||National Museum Cardiff||1 brass plaque, fragments from two brass shields, several decorated brass plates (possibly from a ceremonial cart), and part of a Roman lock|
|Whaddon Chase Hoard||1st century BC||near Whaddon, Aylesbury Vale
|1849||between 450 and 800 and 2,000 gold staters — see also Little Horwood Hoard|
|Whitchurch Hoard||1st century BC||Whitchurch
|1987||Hampshire Museums Service (4 of each type). The remainder sold at Christies, October 1988, lots 236-246.||34 Gallo-Belgic E gold staters, and 108 British B (or, Chute,) gold staters.|
|Wickham Market Hoard (2008)||late 1st century BC to early 1st century AD||Wickham Market
|2008||Ipswich Museum||840 gold staters|
|Winchester Hoard||1st century BC||near Winchester
|2000||British Museum||4 gold brooches
1 gold chain
1 gold bracelet (complete)
2 gold bracelet halves
2 gold torcs
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iron Age hoards.|
- A previously unknown type of stater was found which henceforth became known as the "Climping type". It is thought that there was more to the hoard, but it had become dispersed.
- Although buried in the Iron Age, some of the objects in the Salisbury Hoard are dateable to the early Bronze Age (circa 2400 BC), and may have been recovered from a Bronze Age hoard.
- The Syngenta Hoard is named after the company on whose land the hoard was found.
- "Alton hoard of Iron Age coins & jewellery". Art Fund. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- Bland 2000, pp. 100–101
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004b, pp. 151, 183
- Bland 2000, p. 100
- "Celtic Gold". Hull City Council. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004b, p. 7
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 106–107, 133
- "coin". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "Hoard of Iceni silver coins". British Museum. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- Bland 2000, pp. 98–99
- "The Hallaton Treasure". Harborough Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Coin hoard from Honingham". Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "Iron Age gold coins discovered in Kimbolton". Hunts Post. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Record ID: NMGW-9C0216". Portable Antiquities Scheme. 23 January 2009. Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- Barton & Hitchcock 2008, p. 184
- Lewis 2009, p. 87
- "Little Horwood Hoard by Iron Age". The Art Fund. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Artefacts from Llyn Cerrig Bach". National Museum Wales. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Cauldron from Llyn Fawr". National Museum Wales. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- Bland 2000, p. 98
- "Hoard of Celtic coins found in Leicestershire". BBC News. 13 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "The Salisbury Hoard". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Hutcheson, Natasha C. G. (2004). Later Iron Age Norfolk: Metalwork, Landscape and Society. Archaeopress. p. 105. ISBN 9781841715827. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Record ID: PAS-B1F065". Portable Antiquities Scheme. Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- Bonhams, Antiquities, 13 April 2011, lot 248
- Leins,Ian; Joy, Jody; Basford, Frank , Portable Antiquities Scheme, Record ID: IOW-EAAFE2. Retrieved 21 November 2013
- Bland 2000, pp. 103–104
- "The Snettisham Hoard". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Norfolk wolf coins unearthed in treasure find". 17 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Coin Hoard NMS-397D42". Portable Antiquities Scheme. 26 November 2012. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- , The Art Fund, The Isle of Wight Ingot Hoard
- Williams, Jonathan; Hill, J.D., Portable Antiquities Scheme, Record ID: IOW-38B400. Retrieved 21 November 2013
- "First Pictures of Stirling Iron Age Gold Hoard Treasure". Heritage Key. 11 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Syngenta Coin Hoard". Reading Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-18.[dead link]
- "Tal-y-Llyn Plaque". National Museum Wales. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- Barton & Hitchcock 2008, pp. 95, 123
- "Huge Iron Age haul of coins found". BBC. 17 January 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Burnett, A.M.; Cowell, M.R. , British Numismatic Journal, 1988, Vol.58, p.6ff. Retrieved 21 November 2013
- "Iron Age coins declared treasure". BBC. 3 July 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Iron Age gold hoard saved for Ipswich Museum". The Art Fund. 21 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 16–18
- Barton, Caroline; Hitchcock, Fi, eds. (2008). Treasure Annual Report 2005/6. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Bland, Roger, ed. (2000). Treasure Annual Report 1998 - 1999. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Bland, Roger; Voden-Decker, Lisa, eds. (2002). Treasure Annual Report 2000. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Bland, Roger; Voden-Decker, Lisa, eds. (2003). Treasure Annual Report 2001. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Gannon, Anna; Voden-Decker, Lisa; Bland, Roger, eds. (2004a). Treasure Annual Report 2002. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Gannon, Anna; Voden-Decker, Lisa; Bland, Roger, eds. (2004b). Treasure Annual Report 2003. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Hitchcock, Fi, ed. (2006). Treasure Annual Report 2004. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Lewis, Michael, ed. (2009). Portable Antiquities and Treasure Annual Report 2007. Department of Portable Antiquities and Treasure, British Museum. ISBN 978-0-9563795-1-1.