List of Jains
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Part of a series on|
Jain (pron.: //) is the title and name given to an adherent of Jainism. The term has its origin in the Sanskrit term jina ("conqueror" or "victor"). This article lists prominent individuals who have self-identified as a follower of Jainism.
- Acharya Hemchandra - Jain Acharya and scholar
- Acharya Mahaprajna - Jain Acharya, scholar, thinker
- Acharya Rajendrasuri - Jain Acharya of the 20th century
- Acharya Shantisagar - Jain Acharya of 20th century
- Acharya Mahasharman -11th Acharya of Jain Swetamber Terapnth Community.
- Acharya Vidyasagar - Jain Acharya of the 20th century
- Acharya Vijay Vallabh suri -
- Adikavi Pampa - poet, one of the "three gems of Kannada literature".
- Anand Rishiji Maharaj
- Andayya- Kannada poet
- Bhadrabahu - Jain Acharya from Bengal and teacher of Emperor Chandragupta
- Haribhadra - 12th century philosopher
- Kanji Swami - 20th century philosopher/mystic
- Mahendra Suri - Sanskrit astrologer
- Muni Hitruchi Vijay
- Ranna - poet, one of the "three gems of Kannada literature".
- Sadhvi Kanakprabha - Present Head of nuns & samanis in Shvetamber Terapanths sect
- Shrimad Rajchandra - 19th century philosopher/mystic
- Sri Ponna - poet, one of the "three gems of Kannada literature". He was honoured by the title Kavichakravarthi for his prowess and domination of the Kannada literary circles at that time.
- Sudharma Swami
- Vijayanandsuri - Guru of Acharya Vallabsuriji
- Virasena - 9th century mathematician
Business leaders / Top executives 
- Ajit Gulabchand- Leader of HCC Limited
- Anand Jain- Owner Of Jai Corporations ,Mumbai
- Bhavarlal Jain- Jain Irrigation Systems (Padma Shri Award Winner)
- Bhavarlal Jain-Industrialist in Indian Agriculture
- Gautam Adani - Chairman, Adani Group
- Gulabchand Hirachand
- Indu Jain- Owner, The Times Group
- Jagdu Shah - A Jain merchant & philanthropist of 13th Century
- Jivaraj Papriwal
- Kasturbhai Lalbhai was one of the founder of Arvind Mills(1931), was also awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1968.He along with Vikram Sarabhai, was the driving force behind IIMA
- Lalchand Hirachand
- Mofatraj Munot- Kalpataru Ltd. (55th richest Indian in 2011 )
- Narendra Patni- Founder of Patni Computer Systems
- Ratanchand Hirachand
- Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain- Ex-Editor, Times of India Group Publications
- Sahu Shanti Prasad Jain- Times of India Group
- Samir Jain
- Seth Hukumchand - Jain businessman & philanthropist from Indore
- Shreyans Prasad Jain
- Vinay Maloo - Chairman, Enso Group & former Chairman, HFCL
- Walchand Hirachand - Founder, Walchand Hirachand group
- Motilal Oswal - Chairman & Managing Director of Motilal Oswal Group
- Ajit Jain: Possible successor to Warren Buffett
- Anshu Jain: Co-CEO of Deutsche Bank.
- Naveen Jain: Founder of InfoSpace and Intelius
- Raj Jain : Co-founder of Nayna Networks Inc.
- Rakesh Gangwal: Former CEO and Chairman of US Airways Group
Political Leaders 
- Abbakka Chowta - Queen of Ullal
- Amoghavarsha - Rashtrakut Emperor
- Bhamashah - Adviser of Maharana Pratap, hero of Mewar (Rajasthan).
- Bhoja II - Shilahara King
- Bimbisara - Magadh Emperor
- Chandragupta Maurya - Founder of the Mauryan empire
- Chavundaraya - General of Ganga King Marsinha who built the Gomateshwara, Shravanabelagola, Karnataka, India
- Kharavela - Kalinga Emperor (Kalinga is today known as Orissa)
- Kumarpal - Solanki King
- Mahendravarman I
- Samprati - Mauryan Emperor
- Ajit Prasad Jain
- Ambalal Sarabhai
- Jagdish Chandra Jain
- Kirit C Daftary
- Lakshmi Chand Jain - Ramon Magsaysay Award winner
- Virchand Gandhi - He represented Jainism in 1893's parliament of world religions , delivered 535 captivating speeches in USA and Europe , and as activist initiated education of Indian women's in USA under banner of SEWI. 
- A. Rajendran, Ex MLA, Tamil Nadu
- Abhishek Manu Singhvi - National Spokesperson, Indian National Congress
- Charlotte Laws
- Dilipkumar Mansukhlal Gandhi- Ex Member of Parliament. Maharashtra
- L. M. Singhvi - Former Indian Ambassador to UK, Member of Parliament
- M. P. Veerendra Kumar
- Milap Chand Jain
- Mohan Lal Sukhadia - Ex-Chief Minister of Rajasthan and ex-Governor of various states
- Pradeep Jain Aditya-Minister of state in Rural development
- Pusp Jain
- Rajendra Darda- Cabinet Minister, Maharastra
- Raju Shetti
- Sundar Lal Patwa - Former Chief Minister of MP and Cabinet Minister of India
- Sunder Singh Bhandari - Governor of Gujarat
- V. Dhananjaya Kumar Former Union Minister Government of India
- Vijay J. Darda- Member of Parliament
- Virendra Kumar Sakhlecha - Former Chief Minister of MP
- Abigail Jain
- Anandji Virji Shah - Music director
- Anuradha Paudwal - Singer
- Asha Parekh, actress
- Babla Virji Shah - Music performer, Singer.
- Bharat Shah - Diamond merchant and film producer
- Gundecha Brothers - exponent of dhrupad style of Indian Classical Music
- Kalyanji Virji Shah - Music director
- Kiran Shah
- Nirav Shah - Cinematographer
- Pamela Jain
- Ravindra Jain - Music director
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali - film maker
- Sooraj R. Barjatya - Rajashri film producer & director
- V Shantaram - Pioneer of Indian film industry
- Viju Shah
- Vir Sanghvi
- Dilip Doshi - Indian Test and one-day cricketer
- Anju Jain - Indian cricketer
- Karu Jain - Indian cricketer
- Phadeppa Dareppa Chaugule - marathon runner
- Kundakunda - Jain scholar monk, 2nd century CE, composer of spirituals such as: Samayasara, Niyamasara, Pancastikayasara, Pravacanasara, Atthapahuda and Barasanuvekkha.
- Umaswati - Author of Tattvarthasutra
- Siddhasena Divakara - Author of Sanmatitarka Prakarana
- Banarasidas - Poet, Spiritualist and Thinker. Composed the Banarasivilasa, Nataka Samayasara and his magnum opus, Ardhakathanaka, the first ever autobiography in Hindi literature.
- Nathuram Premi - Publisher and scholar of Jainism, founder of Hindi Granth Karyalay and Manikchandra Jain Granthamala, historian, researcher, social reformer and editor of Jain Mitra and Jain Hitaishi'
- Bhagchandra Jain 'Bhaskar' - Scholar of Jainism, Buddhism, Religious Studies and Ancient Languages. He is a recipient of the President's (Rastrapati) Award and has written over 40 books and published more than 300 research papers.
- Bal Patil - Author, Journalist, Jain activist and ex-member of Minority Commission, Government of Maharashtra
- Padmanabh Jaini- Author. Professor Emeritus Berkeley University
- Jainendra Kumar
- Kanhaiyalal Sethia
- Kumudendu Muni - Author of Siribhoovalaya.
- Ilango Adigal
- Bhattakalanka Deva - Kannada grammarian
- Acharya Rajneesh - "Osho" mystic and spiritual teacher
- Jyotindra Jain- cultural historian, museologist
- Mahāvīra (mathematician)
- Mahendra Sūri
- Virasena - 9th century mathematician
- Sarvanandi- Author of Lokavibhaga oldest known text to use a decimal place-value system
- Vikram Sarabhai - space scientist
- Jainendra K. Jain
- Rakesh Jain
- Piyare Jain
- Vandana Jain
- Ramesh Jain
- Sachin H. Jain
Social Workers 
Padma Shri Awardees 
- Mag Raj Jain
- Mahendra Bhandari
- Devi Lal Samar
- Veer Singh Mehta
- Kanhaiyalal Sethia
- Kailash Sankhala
- Bhavarlal Jain
- Bal Patil
- Kalyanji Anandji
Padma Bhushan Awardess 
- Karmveer Bhaurao Patil-Educationalist, Founder of Rayat Shikshan Sanstha
- Veerendra Heggade-Dharmadhikari (Administrator) of Dharmasthala Temple
- Daulat Singh Kothari
- Komal Kothari
- Kasturbhai Lalbhai
- Laxmi Mall Singhvi
- Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai-Space Scientist
- Devaki Jain
Padma Vibhushan Awardees 
See also 
- A History of Kannada Literature. Asian Educational Services, India. 1982. p. 44. ISBN 81-206-0063-0.
- Great Thinkers of the Eastern World (1995), I.P.McGreal (ed.), Harper Collins, New York.
- "Kanji Swami". Cs.colostate.edu. 1980-11-28. Retrieved 2012-09-09.
- Holy People of the World: A Cross-Cultural Encyclopedia, Volume 1 By Phyllis G. Jestice, ABC-CLIO, 2004, p. 464.
- "Handbook of Peace and Conflict Studies - Charles Webel - Google Books". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-09-09.
- "Wine and wondering with Ajit Gulabchand of Hindustan Construction - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Jivaraja Jaina Granthmala, No". Jainworld.com. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Indu Jain Biography, Times group, Times of India". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Legacy : Seth Lalchand Hirachand". Premier.co.in. Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- "Business Legends - Gita Piramal - Google Books". Books.google.co.in. 1953-08-01. Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- ":::Welcome to Enso:::". Ensogroup.com. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "dated April 9, 1953: Walchand Hirachand passes away". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- http://www.motilaloswal.com. Missing or empty
- "The Intrepid Queen-Rani Abbakka Devi of Ullal". Retrieved 2007-07-25.
- Reu (1933), p72
- Digambaras, Overview of World Religions, accessed 9 September 2007
- Kamath (2001), p45
- "Maharaja Kharavela". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- "Maharaja Kharavela's Family". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Bhanwarlal Nathuram Luniya (1978). Life and culture in medieval India. Kamal Prakashan. p. 385. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- KAN Sastri, A History of South India, p382-383
- Stein, p 122
- Dhulappa (Anna) Bhaurao Navale -First individual Satyagrahi of Mahatma Gandhi from Satara District in which Sangli
- "Karnataka News : Jain way of life being promoted in N. America". The Hindu. 2006-02-02. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- Biography "The 1989 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service, BIOGRAPHY of Lakshmi Chand Jain". Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Jain, Pankaz; Dr. Bipin Doshi , Priti Shah. "Virchand Gandhi, A Gandhi Before Gandhi". A german e-magazine. herenow4u. Retrieved 09-08-2011. More than one of
- Dwyer, Rachel. (2005). 100 Bollywood films. BFI screen guides. London:British Film Institute. ISBN 1-84457-098-3 p.82
- Claudia Pastorino Official website
- "History of Vegetarianism and Cow-Veneration". Indologica. 2010-12-03. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- ConchSolutions. "Siribhoovalaya | Siribhoovalaya Information | Siribhoovalaya reference and meaning". Conchsolutions.com. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- Various (1987) . Encyclopaedia of Indian literature - vol 1. Sahitya Akademi. ISBN 8126018038.
- "Jaina Iconography - Jyotindra Jain, Eberhard Fischer - Google Books". Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Welcome to Indian Century". Indiancentury.com. Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- Rons Bantwal (11 October 2011). "Dharmadhikari Dr Veerendra Heggade Lauds Social Welfare of Bunts Sangh". Daijiworld. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "1989 Ramon Magsaysay Awardee for Public Service - Lakshmi Chand Jain". Rmaf.org.ph. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "Daulat Singh Kothari". Vigyanprasar.gov.in. Retrieved 2012-11-08.