List of Judges of the United States Tax Court
The United States Tax Court is composed of 19 members appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. Reappointment, when requested by a Tax Court judge is generally pro forma regardless of the political party of the appointing President and the political party of the re-appointing (sitting) President. By statute, Congress has granted to the President the power to remove the judges of the U.S. Tax Court "for inefficiency, neglect of duty, or malfeasance in office...." 
With two judges confirmed on August 1, 2013, the 19-member court currently has one vacancy.
- On September 17, 2013, President Obama announced his intention to nominate Tamara W. Ashford to fill the vacancy.
Appointed by the President of the United States.
- Michael B. Thornton, Chief Judge (1998-)
- Ronald Lee Buch (2013-)
- John O. Colvin (1988-)
- Maurice B. Foley (1995-)
- Joseph H. Gale (1996-)
- Joseph Robert Goeke (2003-)
- David Gustafson (2008-)
- James Halpern (1990-)
- Mark V. Holmes (2003-)
- Kathleen Kerrigan (2012-)
- Diane Kroupa (2003-)
- Albert G. Lauber (2013-)
- L. Paige Marvel (1998-)
- Richard T. Morrison (2007-)
- Joseph W. Nega (2013-)
- Elizabeth Crewson Paris (2008-)
- Juan F. Vasquez (1995-)
- Robert A. Wherry Jr. (2003-)
Appointed by the President of the United States; terms of senior service are in italics.
- Herbert Chabot (1978–2001, 2001-)
- Carolyn Chiechi (1992–2007, 2007-)
- Mary Ann Cohen (1982-2012, 2012-)
- Howard A. Dawson, Jr. (1962–1985, 1990-)
- Joel Gerber (1984–2006, 2006-)
- Harry Haines (2003–2008, 2008-)
- Julian Jacobs (1984–1999, 1999-)
- David Laro (1992–2007, 2007-)
- Arthur L. Nims, III (1979–1992, 1992-)
- Robert Ruwe (1987–2002, 2002-)
- Stephen Swift (1983–1998, 1998-2000, 2000–2008, 2008-)
- Thomas B. Wells (1986-2001, 2001-2011, 2011-)
- Laurence Whalen (1987–2002, 2002-)
Special Trial Judges
Appointed by the Chief Judge of the Tax Court.
|Arnold, William W.William W. Arnold||1935||1950|
|Arundell, C. RogersC. Rogers Arundell||1925||1969|
|Beghe, RenatoRenato Beghe||1999||2003||2012|
|Black, EugeneEugene Black||1929||1966|
|Clapp, CharlesCharles Clapp||1983||1998|
|Disney, Richard L.Richard L. Disney||1951|
|Drennen, William MillerWilliam Miller Drennen||1958||1972|
|Fay, William M.William M. Fay||1961||2000|
|Forrester, Bruce M.Bruce M. Forrester||1957||1978|
|Harron, Marion JanetMarion Janet Harron||1936||1970|
|Hill, Samuel B.Samuel B. Hill||1936||1953|
|Irwin, Leo H.Leo H. Irwin||1968|
|Johnson, Luther AlexanderLuther Alexander Johnson||1946||1956|
|Kern, Jr., John W.John W. Kern, Jr.||1971|
|III, Jules G. KörnerJules G. Körner III||1981||1997|
|Leech, James RussellJames Russell Leech||1932||1952|
|Mellott, Arthur JohnsonArthur Johnson Mellott||1935||1945|
|Murdock, J. EdgarJ. Edgar Murdock||1926||1968|
|Opper, Clarence V.Clarence V. Opper||1938||1965|
|Quealy, William H.William H. Quealy||1969||1980|
|Raum, ArnoldArnold Raum||1950||1978||1998|
|Rice, Stephen E.Stephen E. Rice||1952||1958|
|Shields, PerryPerry Shields||1982||1994|
|Simpson, Charles R.Charles R. Simpson||1965||1987|
|Smith, Charles P.Charles P. Smith||1946|
|Sternhagen, John M.John M. Sternhagen||1924||1945|
|Tannenwald, Jr., TheodoreTheodore Tannenwald, Jr.||1965||1983||1999|
|Turner, Bolon B.Bolon B. Turner||1968|
|Tyson, John A.John A. Tyson||1950|
|Van Fossan, Ernest H.Ernest H. Van Fossan||1926||1961|
|Wiles, Darrell D.Darrell D. Wiles||1972||1987|
|Wright, Lawrence A.Lawrence A. Wright||1984||1996|
Special Trial Judges
- D. Irvin Couvillion (special trial judge, 1985-)
- Carleton D. Powell (special trial judge, 1985–2007)
- John J. Pajak (special trial judge, 1979-)
- Norman H. Wolfe (special trial judge, 1985-)
- Daniel J. Dinan (special trial judge, 1991-)
- See generally 26 U.S.C. § 7443(a) and (b).
- I.R.C. 7447(b)(3)).
- See 26 U.S.C. § 7443(f).
- The Tax Court of the United States, United States Government Manual", Division of Public Inquiries, Office of War Information (1945).
- "Newest Judge To Sit In Tax Court Here", The Milwaukee Journal (February 4, 1968).
- Luther Johnson Congressional Biography].
- James Russell Leech Congressional Biography].