List of Lingayats
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Regions with significant populations|
Other significant population centers:
|Related ethnic groups|
See also: Complete List of Sharanas
- Allama Prabhu
- Akka Mahadevi
- Devar Dasimayya
- Madivala Machideva- Veera Ganachaari
- Siddharama, of solapur, Maharashtra.
- Sarvajna – Kannada poet.
- Yediyur Siddhalingeshwara
- Palkuriki Somanatha
- Viswabandhu Marulasiddha
- Sri Revanna Siddeshwara Swamy
- Sri Danamma Devi, of Guddapura, Maharashtra.
- Kittur Chennamma(1778–1829) – famous queen of the princely state of Kitturu, Karnataka, fought againist Doctrine of lapse.
- Nolamba Dynasty – Southern Indian Ruling Dynasty.
- South Kalachuri kingdom.
- Belawadi Mallamma
- Rudrama Devi, Kakatiya dynasty Queen.
- Haleri Kings of Madikeri.
- Chikka Virarajendra, last ruler of Madikeri.
- Sangama Dynasty
- Keladi Nayaka
- Keladi Chennamma
- Shivappa Nayaka
- Bukka Raya I
- Harihara Raya II
- Virupaksha Raya
- Bukka Raya II
- Deva Raya I
- Ramachandra Raya
- Vira Vijaya Bukka Raya
- Deva Raya II
- Mallikarjuna Raya
- Virupaksha Raya II
- Praudha Devaraya.
- Dr. Shri Shri Shivakumara Swamiji – head of Siddaganga Matha, Padma Bhushan awardee.
- Dr. Shivamurthy Shivacharya Mahaswamiji – Taralabalu Jagadguru Brihanmath, Sirigere.
- Siddharudha Swami – great Hindu mystic.
- Dagadushet Gadave - Founder of Dagadushet Halwai Ganapati Temple in Pune
- Sir K. P. Puttanna Chetty CIE - Bureaucrat, administrator and philanthropist, First president of Bangalore Municipal Council, former Chairman of State Bank of Mysore,
- Rao Bahadur Gubbi Thotadappa, philanthropist and founder of Thotadappa Chathra, Bangalore.
Education,Science and technology
- D. M. Nanjundappa – noted economist from Karnataka, Vice-chancellor of Bangalore University and Karnataka University.
- R. C. Hiremath – noted researcher, writer and the vice-chancellor of Karnataka University, Dharwar.
- H. S. Shivaprakash – poet and playwright. Dean,School of Arts and Aesthetics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- D. C. Pavate, Padma Bhushan and former vice Chancellor of Karnataka University and Governor of Punjab.
- Dr. DG Hallikeri, freedom fighter and Educationist.
- A. S. Adke,former vice-chancellor of Karnataka University and former Principal of Karnataka Regional Engineering College, Surathkal
- M. Mahadevappa - renowned Agricultural scientist and Plant breeder, Padma Bhushan awardee,
- Dr. MC Modi – famous eye surgeon and Padma Bhushan awardee,
- Sharan Patil – philanthropist and orthopaedic surgeon,
- G. S. Paramasivaiah -co-founder of Karnatak University, Student of the Nobel-laureate Sir CV Raman,
- S. G. Balekundri – Irrigation expert and architect of Alamatti Dam.
- Y. G. Parameshwara – first Indian Blind Doctor,
- S. J. Nagalotimath – Medical writer,
- G.S. Paramashivaiah - Irrigation expert and Chief Engineer,
- S. K. Shivkumar - Space scientist and Director, Indian Space Research Organisation satellite centre, Padmashri awardee.
- Harihara – known as Ragaleya Kavi.
- Raghavanka- known as Shatpadi Brahma.
- Hardekar Manjappa – known as Gandhi of Karnataka.
- G. S. Shivarudrappa – poet and critic, Rashtra Kavi.
- Chennaveera Kanavi – poet and critic.
- Panchakshari Hiremath – writer and noted poet, short story writer, essayist, critic, translator, orator, editor, who writes in Kannada, Urdu and Hindi.
- Nijaguna Shivayogi – 15th century Kannada poet.
- P. Lankesh – writer and journalist, writing in the Kannada language.
- Jayadevi Taayi Ligade – writer and first lady president of akhila Bharatha Kannada saahitya sammelana.
- M. M. Kalburgi – Kannada Scholar.
- L. Basavaraju – Kannada eminent scholar and writer of several books on Sharana Sahitya.
- Sangamesh Saundattimath,Dravidian linguist
- M. Chidananda Murthy – Kannada writer, researcher and historian.
- Channappa Uttangi – Interfaith Pioneer and Writer.
- K. Marulasiddappa – Kannada writer
Art and Music
- Pandit Ganayogi Panchakshara Gawai – Hindustani and classical musician
- Basavaraj Rajguru – Classical vocalist, Padma Bhushan awardee
- Mallikarjun Mansur – Classical vocalist, Padma Vibhushan, Kalidas Samman awardee
- Kumar Gandharva – Hindustani vocalist, Padma Vibhushan, Kalidas Samman awardee
- Pandit Puttaraj Gawai – Hindustani and classical musician, Padma Bhushan, Kalidas Samman awardee
- Mukul Shivputra – Hindustani Classical music vocalist and son of Kumar Gandharva
- Balappa Hukkeri – Kannada Folk Singer
- Rajashekhar Mansur – Classical vocalist
- Gubbi Veeranna – theatre director, famously known as 'Father of Kannada Film Industry'
- Ranjani Shettar, famous artist and sculpurist,
- Vyjayanthi Kashi, famous artist and Kuchipudi dancer,
- Prateeksha Kashi, famous kuchipudi dancer.
- Basappa Danappa Jatti
- S. Nijalingappa – Freedom fighter and former Chief Minister of Karnataka and president All India Congress Committee
- Shivraj Patil
- M. S. Gurupadaswamy 
- Leader of House of Rajya Sabha - December 1989 to November 1990,
- Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha - March 1971 to April 1972, 28 June 1991 to 21 July 1991,
- Minister of Agriculture (India) - 1967 to 1969,
- Minister for Food, Community Development and Cooperation - 1967 to 1969,
- Minister of state for Atomic Energy - 1967.
- Minister for Petroleum and Chemicals - 1989 to 1990.
- S. R. Bommai – former Chief Minister of Karnataka
- S. R. Kanthi – former Chief Minister of Karnataka
- Veerendra Patil – former Chief Minister of Karnataka
- Jayadevappa Halappa Patel – former Chief Minister of Karnataka
- B. S. Yeddyurappa – former Chief Minister of Karnataka
- Jagadish Shettar – former Chief Minister of Karnataka and current Leader of opposition, Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
- M. B. Patil – Minister for Water Resources, Government of Karnataka.
- Suresh Angadi – MP, Belgaum (Lok Sabha constituency).
- Suresh Shetkar - former MP of Zahirabad (Lok Sabha constituency), Andhra Pradesh
- Gudleppa Hallikeri – freedom fighter and former Chairman of Legislative Council, was a prominent leader from North Karnataka, a Gandhian who led the Indian Independence Movement.
- M. V. Rajasekharan – the Minister of State in the Ministry of Planning, Government of India.
- H.Siddhaveerappa – former minister for Home,Industries and Health,Leader of opposition, Government of Karnataka.
- Murugesh Nirani – Minister for Industries, Government of Karnataka.
- Shamanur Mallikarjun – Member of Legislative Assembly, Karnataka and Former Minister for Youth Services and Sports, Government of Karnataka,
- B R PATIL- Member of Legislative Assembly
- S. A. Ravindranath – minister for Horticulture and Sugar, government of Karnataka.
- Gowdar Mallikarjunappa Siddeswara – Union Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises,
- S. Mallikarjunaiah – Former MP Tumkur.
- Smt.Basavarajeswari – Senior Congress Leader, EX-MP and Former Union Minister of India.
- Siddappa Kambli - politician, freedom fighter and contributor for Unification of Karnataka.
- Ratnappa Kumbhar – Former Member of the Parliament, Member of Legislative Council and Former Minister of Home, Food and Civil Supplies in Maharashtra Government.
- Babagouda Patil – Senior BJP Leader, former MP and Union Minister of India.
- Basangouda Patil – member of the Lok Sabha.
- Dr Neeraj Patil – mayor of Lambeth.London.
- Vatal Nagaraj – politician and founder leader of Kannada Chalavali Vatal Paksha
- B. Y. Raghavendra – MP Shimoga and son of CM B. S. Yeddyurappa.
- Basavarajeshwari – former union minister.
- M.P. Prakash – Congress Leader and Former Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka
- M. P. Renukacharya – Minister for Excise, Government of Karnataka.
- Laxman Savadi – former Minister for Co-operation, Government of Karnataka.
- Vinay Kore – Minister of Non-Conventional Energy & Horticulture, Govt. of Maharashtra and the Chairman of the Warana Group of Industries.
- Basavaraj Bommai – Minister for Water resources, Government of Karnataka.
- D. C. Srikantappa – former three time MP from Chikmagalur.
- Basavaraj Patil Sedam – Member of Rajya Sabha.
- M. Rajasekara Murthy – former MP, Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
- Shashil G. Namoshi – Member of Legislative Council, Karnataka.
- Anant Gudhe- Member of Parliament, Amaravati.
- Chandrakant Khaire- Member of Parliament, Aurangabad.
- Shamanuru Shivashankarappa – Minister for Horticulture and Agro Marketing, Government of Karnataka.
- H. K. Patil – Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, Government of Karnataka.
- Sharan Prakash Patil – Minister for Medical Education, Government of Karnataka.
- S. R. Patil - Minister for Infrastructure, Information Technology, Biotechnology, Science and Technology, Planning and Statistics, Government of Karnataka.
- H. S. Mahadeva Prasad – Minister for Co-operation, Government of Karnataka.
- Prakash Babanna Hukkeri – Member of Parliament, Chikkodi and former Minister for Sugar, Small Scale Industries and Endowments, Government of Karnataka.
- Shashikala Annasaheb Jolle - Member of Legislative Assembly, Karnataka, Nippani Constituency.
- Bhagwanth Khuba - Member of Parliament, Bidar
- P. C. Gaddigoudar - Member of Parliament, Bagalkot
- Karadi Sanganna Amarappa - Member of Parliament, Koppal (Lok Sabha constituency),
- B. Jayashree - Artist and Member of Rajya Sabha,
- B B Patil - Member of Parliament, Zahirabad (Lok Sabha constituency), Telangana.
- Satish Hiremath - Mayor of Oro Valley, Arizona, United States of America.
- Karne Prabhakar - MLC, Spokesperson of TRS, Telangana.
- Vinay Kore – Chairman of the Warana Group, Maharashtra
- Gowdar Mallikarjunappa Siddeswara – MP and head of GM group.
- Ashok Kheny – Award winner, Head of Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Project (NICE)
- Baba Kalyani of Bharat Forge and Kalyani Group, Padma Bhushan Awardee.
- Prabhakar B. Kore – Karnatak Lingayat Education Society (The biggest Education society in the state) Chairman, MP and former minister.
- Murugesh Nirani of Nirani Group.
- Shamanuru Shivashankarappa,of Bapuji Educational Association
- Vijay Sankeshwar, Chairman of VRL Group.
Media and entertainment
- M. P. Shankar – veteran Kannada film actor and director.
- Doddanna – veteran Kannada actor.
- Aarathi - Kannada actress and director.
- Manjula (Kannada actress)
- B.C. Patil – famous Kannada actor.
- Prabhu deva – famous Indian actor,known as Indian Michael Jackson.
- Mugur Sundar – famous Indian director.
- Raju Sundaram – famous Tamil actor.
- Nagendra Prasad – actor.
- Gubbi Veeranna – theatre director
- B. C. Gowrishankar - veteran Choreographer,
- Murali (Tamil actor)
- Adharvaa – Tamil actor
- K. M. Chaitanya – director.
- Sharath Lohitashwa – actor
- Lohithaswa – actor and writer
- Kavitha Lankesh – writer and director
- Vedhika Kumar – Actress and model
- Chindodi Leela – Actress and Dramatist, Padmashri awardee
- Indrajit Lankesh – Director,
- Preetham Gubbi – Director,
- Dilip (Tamil actor)
- Girija Shettar, Actress.
- Chetan Kumar, Actor,
- Shashank - Kannada Director,
- Uma Shivakumar - Actress,
- Vaijanath Biradar - comedy actor,
- P. Neelakantan - Tamil Director,
- Sunil Nagappa - actor.
- Nanjangud Shivananju Manju,Indian footballer
- Laxmikant Kattimani,Indian footballer
- Gagan Ullalmath, Olympian.
- Manju Nadgoda, Indian Lady Cricketer
- Sujith Somasunder Indian Cricketer
- Deepak Chougule, Cricketer
- Harishchandra Birajdar, Wrestler & First Hind Kesari from Maharashtra, Commonwealth Games Gold Medallist, Dhyanchand Awardee
- Lieutenant General Ramesh Halagali, AVSM, SM, Deputy Chief of Indian Army.
- Shankar Bidari – former Director general of police, Karnataka.
- Veeranna Aivalli,IPS – former Chairman, Aviation Security Audit Programme, International Civil Aviation Organisation, United Nations.
- M. D. Nanjundaswamy – farmer leader and activist.
- Subhash Mendhapurkar - Social Activist, Himachal Pradesh.
- V. S. Malimath - former Chief Justice of Kerala,
- Shivaraj Patil - former Judge of Supreme Court of India and former Chief justice of Rajastan.
- S. R. Bannurmath - Chairman, Maharashtra Human rights commission and former Chief Justice of Kerala.
- S. R. Hiremath - Indian environmental, social Activist and Conservationalist.
- Mallikarjun Bande - slain Indian Police Sub-Inspector.
- Pramila Nesargi - Advocate, politician and activist.
- Prominent Figures – Veerashaiva.info
- Community dominance and political modernisation: the Lingayats
- Prominent Lingayat Figures
- is Basavanna?
- Praudha Devaraya revived Veerashaivism: historian
- List of Prominent Lingayats
- Man with a vision
- Second Visveswarayya
- Hardekar Manjappa
- B. D. Jatti
- "M. S. Gurupadaswamy biography". In.com. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- H. K. Patil
- The importance of being Patil
- Gm Group's
- MAN WITH A MISSION
- Community dominance and political modernisation: the Lingayats, Shankaragouda Hanamantagouda Patil, ISBN 9788170998679
- List of Prominent Lingayats
- Lingayat Religion
- Welcome to Lingayat Religion
- Basava Divine Center