List of Los Angeles Times publishers
The publisher of the Los Angeles Times today is Eddy Hartenstein, who was appointed to the position in 2008. The publisher is typically a newspaper's top executive, similar in function to the job of corporate chief executive officer. Sometimes, though, a newspaper's publisher is a corporation or a company, and that was the case for decades with the Times, which listed its "publisher" as the Times-Mirror Company. The person responsible for operating the newspaper was officially called the president and general manager, but he was casually referred to as the publisher.
The official list of past publishers offered by the Times in both print and electronic versions begins with Harrison Gray Otis in 1882, but Otis never held that title officially. Indeed, he was not even the first executive to guide the newspaper.
The list below includes all the people who could be considered the chief executive officer of the newspaper.
 Early days
None of these people used the title of publisher.
- Thomas Gardiner, business manager, and Nathan Cole Jr., editor (referred to as the projectors) (1881)
- Thomas Jesse Yarnell, Thomas J. Caystile and S.J. Mathes (referred to as the successors) (1882)
 Harrison Gray Otis
The dates of service are those given in the masthead of the Times.
- Harrison Gray Otis (1882–1917), president and general manager
 Chandler family
- Tom Johnson (1980–1989)
- David Laventhol (1989–1994)
- Richard T. Schlosberg III (1994–1997)
- Mark H. Willes (1997–1999)
- Kathryn Downing (1999–2000), the first woman publisher
 Tribune Company
- John Puerner (2000–2005)
- Jeffrey Johnson) (2005–2006)
- David Hiller (2006–2008)
- Eddy Hartenstein (2008–2010)
Access to some of these links may require the use of a library card.
- "Gen. Harrison Gray Otis Is Suddenly Called by Death," Los Angeles Times, July 31, 1917, page II-1
- "The Memorial," Los Angeles Times, February 18, 1896, page 1
- Los Angeles Times masthead (electronic version)
- "Highlights Along the Way," Los Angeles Times, January 3, 1956, page D-24
- "Fourteen Years of Progress," Los Angeles Times, December 4, 1895, page 9
- "Miss Katherine Yarnell, Southland Pioneer, Dies," Los Angeles Times, February 17, 1948, page A-2
- "Notice to the Public," Los Angeles Times, December 11, 1881, page O-2
- Stuart Silverstein and Jeff Leeds, "Downing is Named Publisher of The Times," Los Angeles Times, June 4, 1999