List of MAX Light Rail stations
Metropolitan Area Express (MAX) is a light rail transit system serving the Portland metropolitan area. The system is operated by TriMet, a public agency that operates public transit in the Portland area. Serving an average of 130,000 passengers a day (in Fiscal Year 2012), MAX Light Rail is one of the largest light rail systems in the United States in terms of ridership.
The MAX system currently consists of four lines, each designated by a color.
- Blue Line: Hillsboro – City Center – Gresham
- Green Line: Clackamas – City Center – Portland State University
- Red Line: Portland International Airport – City Center – Beaverton
- Yellow Line: Expo Center – City Center – Portland State University
MAX Light Rail began service on September 5, 1986 with the opening of the original segment from Downtown Portland to Gresham. An extension westward to Beaverton and Hillsboro opened in 1998. The resulting 33-mile east-west line has always been operated as a single through route, and it became known as the Blue Line in 2001, after TriMet adopted color designations for its separate light rail routes after the Red Line opened to the airport. The Yellow Line branch to the Expo Center opened in 2004. In 2009, the Green Line opened, serving the Portland Transit Mall (along with the rerouted Yellow Line) and the new I-205 branch to Clackamas.
The system currently has a total of 87 stations. Fifty-one stations are served by the Blue Line, 28 stations by the Green Line, 29 by the Red Line, and 22 by the Yellow Line, with 40 stations served by two or more lines and 8 by three. All trains connect at Pioneer Courthouse Square and the Rose Quarter.
Fares on the MAX system were zonal (i.e. distance-based), the same as on TriMet's bus service, until September 2012, when the agency eliminated all use of fare-zone designations.
- "MAX Light Rail Stations". TriMet. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "TriMet - MAX Light Rail Project History". TriMet. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "June 2012 Monthly Performance Report" (PDF). TriMet. p. 1. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- "TriMet - Service and Ridership Information" (PDF). TriMet. October 19, 2011. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- "TriMet - MAX Blue Line". TriMet. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "TriMet - MAX Green Line". TriMet. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "TriMet - MAX Red Line". TriMet. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "TriMet - MAX Yellow Line". TriMet. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "TriMet - Eastside MAX Blue Line Project History". TriMet. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "Westside MAX Blue Line Project History". TriMet. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- Stewart, Bill (September 21, 2000). "Local colors roll out: Tri-Met designates the Blue, Red and Yellow lines". The Oregonian.
- "Interstate MAX Yellow Line Project History". TriMet. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- Bailey Jr., Everton (August 30, 2012). "TriMet boosts most fares starting Saturday; some routes changing". The Oregonian. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
Media related to MAX stations at Wikimedia Commons