List of Mayors and Lord Mayors of Perth
The office of head of the municipality of Perth is defined over three distinct periods:
- From 1829 to 1838 — controlled by the Governor of Western Australia
- From 1838 to 1858 — controlled by the Perth Town Trust
- From 1858 to present — controlled by the Perth City Council, later renamed City of Perth
On 15 June 1837, an Act was proclaimed to ..provide for the management of roads, streets and other internal communications within the settlement of Western Australia. The management and control was vested in a body of trustees consisting of the Justices of the Peace resident in the town; and the proprietors of allotments held in fee simple. The act was repealed in September 1842 and authority was conferred on elected representatives. The first elected Chairman and committee took office on 8 February 1842 and comprised:
- Walter Boyd Andrews (Chairman)
- George Leake, James Purkis, Peter Broun, W. H. Drake, Richard Jones (committee members)
- James Purkis was appointed treasurer
On 23 February 1856 (two years before the dissolution of the Trust), Perth was constituted a city upon the foundation of the Bishopric of Perth through the consecration of the first Anglican Bishop of Perth, Matthew Blagden Hale.
From 1858 to 1880, the President of the Council was styled "Chairman", from 1880 until 1929, the Chairman was termed the "Mayor" and from 1929 the mayor was elevated to the title of "Lord Mayor".
Chairman, Perth Town Trust (1838-1858)
|Incumbent||Term of Office|
|Walter Boyd Andrews||1842|
|Henry Laroche Cole||1853|
|George Shenton Sr||1854–1855|
|George Shenton Sr; Sir Luke Leake||1856|
|George Shenton Sr||1857–1858|
Chairman, Perth City Council (1858-1879)
|Henry Laroche Cole||1858–1860|
|Julian Carr; Alfred Hillman; George Haysom||1864|
|Julian Carr; George Glyde||1869|
|Sir Stephen Henry Parker||1877–1879|
Mayor, Perth City Council (1880-1929)
|Stephen Henry Parker; George Shenton||1881|
|Dr Edward Scott||1889–1891|
|Sir Stephen Henry Parker||1892|
|Sir Stephen Henry Parker||1901|
|Richard Paul Vincent||1909–1911|
|Frank R Rea||1916–1917|
|Sir William Lathlain||1918–1923|
|James T Franklin||1923–1929|
Lord Mayor, Perth City Council (since 1929)
|Hon. James T Franklin||1929–1930|
|Hon. Sir William Lathlain||1930–1932|
|Hon. James T Franklin||1932–1934|
|Joseph J. Poynton||1934–1937|
|Sir Joseph Totterdell||1946–1953|
|Sir Henry ("Harry") R. Howard||1955–1964|
|Charles J. B. Veryard||1964–1967|
|Sir Thomas Wardle||1967–1972|
|Ernest Henry Lee-Steere||1972–1978|
|Sir Fred Chaney||1978–1982|
|Rt Hon. Reg Withers||1991–1994|
|Dr Peter Nattrass||1995–2007|
- "FROM VILLAGE TO CITY.". Western Mail (Perth, WA : 1885-1954) (Perth, WA: National Library of Australia). 31 August 1939. p. 14. Retrieved 22 November 2010.
- Kimberly, W.B. (compiler) (1897). History of West Australia. A Narrative of her Past. Together With Biographies of Her Leading Men. Melbourne: F.W. Niven. p.11
- Data supplied by City of Perth indicated D. Scott (assumed to be Captain Daniel Scott) was joint Chairman from 1849. This however, is unlikely as Capt. Scott was based in and had significant responsibilities in Fremantle as harbour-master. In addition, he was mayor of Fremantle Town Trust from 1848 to 1851 as well as 1853–1854 and 1856–1858.
- Leake, Sir Luke Samuel (1828 - 1886) Biographical Entry - Australian Dictionary of Biography Online
- Keane, Edward Vivien Harvey (1844 - 1904) Biographical Entry - Australian Dictionary of Biography Online
- G. C. Bolton (1981). "Forrest, Alexander (1849 - 1901)". Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 8. MUP. pp. 540–543. Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- " Henry John Saunders". History of West Australia. Wikisource. 1897. p. 42.
- Brookman, William Gordon (1859 - 1910) Biographical Entry - Australian Dictionary of Biography Online
- "DEATH OF R. P. VINCENT.". Sunday Times (Perth, WA : 1902 - 1954) (Perth, WA: National Library of Australia). 17 July 1921. p. 1. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Nathan, Sir Charles Samuel (1870 - 1936) Biographical Entry - Australian Dictionary of Biography Online
- Howard, Sir Henry Rudolph (Harry) (1890 - 1970) Biographical Entry - Australian Dictionary of Biography Online
- W.E. Bold, (Town Clerk) (October 1939). "The Story of the Municipal Development Of Our City". Early Days II: 29–41.
- Perry, Philippa (25 June 2007). "Perth "lost" history found in old safe". The West Australian. p. 11.