List of Monsters, Inc. characters
- 1 Overall information
- 2 Main characters
- 3 Appearing in Monsters, Inc.
- 4 Appearing in Monsters University
- 4.1 Dean Abigail Hardscrabble
- 4.2 Professor Derek Knight
- 4.3 William Brandywine
- 4.4 Librarian
- 4.5 Oozma Kappa students
- 4.6 Roar Omega Roar students
- 4.7 Python Nu Kappa students
- 4.8 Jaws Theta Chi students
- 4.9 Slugma Slugma Kappa students
- 4.10 Eta Hiss Hiss students
- 4.11 Brock Pearson
- 4.12 Claire Wheeler
- 4.13 Slug Student
- 4.14 Ms. Karen Graves
- 4.15 Frank McCay
- 4.16 Ms. Sherry Squibbles
- 4.17 Archie the Scare Pig
- 4.18 The Smile Squad
- 4.19 Monsters, Inc Professional Scarers
- 5 References
The monster characters reside in the city of Monstropolis. According to a DVD bonus feature, Monstropolis was founded after all of the monsters who once co-existed with humans were all chased off the mainland and eventually moved to an island in an unknown world where they have lived ever since. The only way for them to enter human-inhabited areas was via closet doors.
The company Monsters, Inc. provides Monstropolis with power from the screams harvested from human children that have been scared by Monsters, Inc.'s employees, who are referred to as scarers. There are also companies that rival Monsters, Inc. to harvest children scream to power, such as Fear Co. and Scream Industries.
The city also provides universities to help monsters prepare for the abilities to scare, the most famous being Monsters University for its outstanding Scaring Program and a rival college called Fear Tech.
James P. Sullivan
James P. "Sulley" Sullivan (voiced by John Goodman in film series, Joel McCarry in Disney Infinity.) is a bear-like blue-furred male monster with horns, purple spots, razor-sharp claws on his hands, furry talons for feet, a theropod-like tail, spikes running down his back and shark-like fangs. Even though he excels at scaring children, he is kindhearted, thoughtful and affects a relaxed, amiable personality. In the film's beginning, he is "The Best Scarer" for several months running.
Monsters University depicts the college-age Sulley as a talented, but lazy, student whose father Bill had made a name for himself as a proficient Scarer. He and Mike start as arch-rivals in their introductory scaring class, but eventually form a friendship that lasts even beyond their expulsion from the university.
Michael "Mike" Wazowski (voiced by Billy Crystal in the film series, Carlos Alazraqui in the video games), is a green monster with a ball-shaped body, a single big eyeball, two small horns and skinny arms and legs. He also has claws, but they're not as sharp as Sulley's.
In Monsters, Inc., Mike runs Sulley's station on the scare floor and they are close friends and roommates. Mike has an outgoing personality and is dating Celia Mae. He has an ego that often makes him forget something obvious, such as his face being obscured in company advertisements.
He has a brief cameo in Finding Nemo swimming past in scuba gear as a fish during the credits and the related video games.
In Monsters University, a scene from Mike's childhood depicts his long-held wish to become a Scarer. When he enrolls at the school to study scaring, he initially becomes Randall Boggs' friend and roommate and Sulley's rival, though these relationships eventually reverse over the course of the film.
Randall "Randy" Boggs (voiced by Steve Buscemi in the film series, J. P. Manoux in Disney Infinity) is a purple, impatient, multi-legged lizard-shaped monster with a chameleon-like ability to change skin color and blend in completely with his surroundings. He is Sulley's nemesis and Mike's arch-rival and former best friend.
In Monsters, Inc., he is Sulley's arch-rival on the scarefloor, as well as Jeff Fungus' boss. The two jockey for position as the area's top scream collector. He secretly hires Henry J. Waternoose III, the company's CEO, as his chief henchman and offers to build a scream extraction device and use it on kidnapped children in return for solving the city's energy shortage. Waternoose accepted, figuring it would be the solution for the company's own good. During the final battle, Randall is thrown through a door by Sulley into the human world and winds up in a house trailer whose inhabitants beat him senseless, believing him to be an alligator. Sulley and Mike destroyed the door to prevent Randall from returning the monster world and foiled his plan, getting Mr. Waternoose arrested in the process while Fungus reforms.
In the prequel Monsters University, Randall (nicknamed as "Randy") enrolls at the same time as Mike Wazowski and the two end up as friends and roommates. He is insecure and shy at first, having trouble controlling his camouflage abilities, but soon becomes more ambitious, confident, and short-tempered after joining Roar Omega Roar. After an embarrassing failure at the Scare Games to Sulley, Randall becomes evil and vows to himself to never be outdone by Sulley again, thus starting Sulley, Mike, and Randall's conflict.
Appearing in Monsters, Inc.
Boo (voiced by Mary Gibbs) is a 2-year-old human girl who is Sulley and Mike's best friend.
During one of Randall's late works on the Scare Floor, Boo got into the factory as Sulley had tried various attempts to get her back in until he placed her inside his bag. When Sulley brings this up with Mike at Harryhauser's, Boo gets out and frightens the patrons enough for the CDA to "decontaminate" the restaurant. While Mike and Sulley are at their home, they discover that the girl is not toxic after all. Sulley quickly grows attached to the girl and names her "Boo". The next day, they smuggle her into the factory disguised as a child of one of Sulley's relatives and Mike attempts to return her through her door. Randall tries to kidnap Boo, but kidnaps Mike by mistake. When Boo was unknowingly brought into the simulation room after Mike and Sulley escaped from Randall, she ended up frightened by Sulley's roar on the simulation child which gave her away to Henry J. Waternoose III. When Mike and Sulley wanted Boo returned to Earth, Mr. Waternoose had Mike and Sulley exiled to the Himalayas. Sulley returns to the factory and rescues Boo from the Scream Extractor that Randall tried to use on her. During the chase through the large vault where all the doors were held, Boo's laughter ends up causing all the doors to operate. Eventually, Boo gets over being afraid of Randall and helps to defeat him. Sulley and Mike are finally able to access Boo's door, but Mr. Waternoose and the CDA send it back to the Scare Floor. Mike distracts the CDA, while Sulley escapes with Boo and her door while Waternoose follows. The CDA's leader is revealed to be Roz as she allows Sulley and Mike 5 minutes to return Boo to her world. Once Sulley and Mike have returned Boo to her room, some CDA agents put Boo's door through the shredder. Sometime later when Sulley had succeeded Mr. Waternoose as the CEO of Monsters, Inc., Mike takes Sulley aside revealing he has almost rebuilt Boo's door requiring only one more piece that Sulley had taken as a memento, the one taped to his clipboard. Sulley inserts the last piece, reactivates the door and enters to find Boo there.
Henry J. Waternoose III
Henry J. Waternoose III (voiced by James Coburn, currently by Corey Burton) is a five-eyed half-crab monster (somewhat in the manner of Ursula's six tentacles) in Monsters, Inc. He is the CEO of Monsters, Inc. and one of Randall's henchmen. The company has been in Waternoose's family for 3 generations as he had inherited the company from his father at the age of 142. Waternoose also seems to hold a mentor-like relationship with Sulley.
Waternoose is first seen where he reminds Thaddeus Bile and the other trainees about the dangers of a human child getting into Monstropolis after Thaddeus left the door opened. He has been impressed with Sulley's progress. However, Mr. Waternoose is distraught to learn that the impending energy crisis is increasing due to many children being desensitized and being unable to be scared by monsters, which might put the company on the verge of being shut down. When Boo is eventually discovered and that Sulley and Mike wanted to return her home, Mr. Waternoose agree to help them, but he later reveals that he is one of Randall's henchmen and that Randall is actually planning to kidnap Boo and several more children to extract their screams to fight the energy crisis. At that point, Mr. Waternoose betrayed both Sulley and Mike by banishing them to the Himalayas on Randall's orders, though Waternoose would later feel extremely remorseful of doing so (either due to his former friendship with Sulley, the loss of his star employee, or both); he even argues with Randall about how he shouldn't have trusted him since Randall had forced him to banish Sulley and Mike. Regardless, Randall shows Mr. Waternoose the Scream Extractor, which would revolutionize Monsters, Inc. Waternoose is forced to accept Randall's plan and watch him proceed. Before Boo's screams can be extracted, Sulley returns and rescues Boo as Randall gives pursuit. After Sulley and Mike defeat Randall and trap him in the Everglades, Mr. Waternoose has called in the CDA to help apprehend Boo and arrest Sulley and Mike, whom he believes to be the criminals responsible for the crisis. While the CDA gave chase to Mike, Sulley ran off with Boo as Waternoose goes after them. Waternoose breaks into an office where Sulley went and confronts Sulley, declaring he will do anything to save the company from being shut down, even if it means kidnapping many children for Randall's plan. Brutishly knocking Sulley out of his way, he tries to grab Boo from the bed, but instead grabs the simulation child. Just then, the wall goes up to reveal that Mike is behind the controls and he records Sulley and Mr. Waternoose's confrontation, exposing Randall's plan as Waternoose watches in shock. With this incriminating evidence, the CDA turns on Waternoose and arrests him. As he is being dragged away, Waternoose yells at Sulley that he destroyed the company and that the energy crisis will only get worse because of him. Mr. Waternoose is last seen loaded onto the CDA's van as Sulley becomes the new CEO of Monsters, Inc., proving Mr. Waternoose wrong changing the company's approach from scaring to laughter (which proves to be more effective), allowing the company to gain enough power to end the energy crisis for good.
Despite not appearing in the prequel Monsters University, Waternoose is seen in a photo at the end of movie (with an Afro hairstyle and a mustache, which he had lost before the original film) shaking hands with Mike and Sulley as they are being promoted to becoming a Scare Team, which may have started the mentor-like bond between Waternoose and Sulley.
Celia Mae (voiced by Jennifer Tilly) is a one-eyed monster with snakes-like hair and tentacles for legs. She works as a receptionist at Monsters, Inc. and is Mike Wazowski's girlfriend. When Mike is at a date with Celia at Harryhausen's, Boo made herself known as the CDA raid the place and use a device that caused an energy dome that "decontaminated" Harryhausen's. Celia was among of the monsters who were decontaminated at that time, which then forces her and her snakes hairs to wear neck cones after enduring the decontimation, much to her embarrassment. As a result, Celia is now angry at Mike and she confronts him the next day, and she unintentionally lets slip Mike's involvement in the incident the previous night while scolding him. When Mike and Sully were being chased by Randall, Celia angrily grabbed onto Mike threatening to break up with him if he didn't tell her what was happening until Boo appeared with Mike stating that they are trying to get her back to her room. Celia does a diversion by announcing that Randall had broken the Scare Record. She is seen again at the end of the film, having fully recovered and made amends with Mike, and tells him that a box full of magazines has just arrived. Both she and Mike are surprised to see that Mike has made the cover of the magazine (although his face is covered by a bar code). She kisses him and her hair (snakes) tickles his face. Mike seemed to enjoy the tickling and kissing from Celia and her snakes. During the credits, Celia takes part in Mike and Sulley's play "Put That Thing Back Where It Came From or So Help Me".
Despite not appearing in Monsters University, Celia is seen in a photo in Mike's locker room, where he puts up a new photo of himself and Sulley in their first day as a Scarer Team, next to Celia's near the end of the movie. Rumor has it that if Celia did go to Monsters University, she could have been a member of Python Nu Kappa.
Jeffrey "Jeff" Fungus (voiced by Frank Oz) is Randall's red-skinned three-eyed assistant. Despite being partnered with Fungus, Randall seems to be annoyed by his antics and would often abuse him and boss him around. Fungus also is terrified by Randall's behavior and his involvement in Randall's plot to kidnap human children and extract their screams forcibly, but feels either blackmailed or too intimidated to confront Randall, and is inwardly glad that Mike and Sully are sabotaging Randall's sinister conspiracy. When Randall attempts to test the extraction machine on Mike, Fungus is victim instead. The scream machine renders Fungus unconscious and blanches him white implying the machine will cause considerable physical harm if used on a child. In the end following Randall's defeat and Waternoose's arrest, Fungus is forgiven for his involvement by Sulley (who becomes the company's new CEO) and is now happy taking on a job of making children laugh to collect more power.
Roz (voiced by Bob Peterson) is a slug-like monster who is the key master and administrator of Scare Floor F. Near the end of the film, she is revealed to be Number One of the Child Detection Agency (CDA), having been on an undercover assignment to investigate the company.
She also makes surprise appearances in three outtakes of the film, when Boo is in the toilet cubicle with Sulley, the CDA shaves and showers George Sanderson, and when Sulley proves to Boo that there is no one behind her bedroom door.
She appears briefly near the end of the prequel Monsters University as a member of the CDA squad that responds to the break-in at the Door Lab. Although she wears a full-body protective suit that covers her face, her shape and voice give away her identity.
Needleman and Smitty
Needleman and Smitty (both voiced by Dan Gerson) are two monsters that work as maintenance and errand monsters at Monsters, Inc. Both of them worship Sulley and the ground that he walks upon. One of their jobs at Monsters, Inc. is to operate the Door Shredder (a device that shreds up the doors of children that are not afraid of monsters and spits out the doorknob).
In one of the outtakes, Smitty accidentally calls Sullivan "Solomon", while another (the last) outtake of the film sees it shred the door too fast; it later runs backstage with them holding on to it (thus almost destroying the backstage equipment and props).
Scarers of Scare Floor F
The Scarers of Scare Floor F are the co-workers of James P. Sullivan and Randall Boggs. Among these are:
- Augustus "Spike" Jones - An orange slug-like monster with tons of retractable spikes on his back. In "Monsters University," it was shown that Spike had graduated from Fear Tech and was a former worker at Fear Co.
- Bob Peterson - A light blue dinosaur-like monster with removable teeth. He is named after Bob Peterson.
- George Sanderson (voiced by Samuel Lord Black) - George Sanderson is a one-horned furry monster who is good friends with Mike, Sulley, Lanky, and Claws. In Monsters University, he was a member of the Jaws Theta Chi fraternity. In Monsters Inc., When George emerged from one of the doors with a sock on him, his assistant Charlie sees this and shouts "23-19" which ended up calling in the CDA to take care of this. After the sock is removed and destroyed, George is then shaved, showered, and applied a neck cone to him. When in the locker room, the toys that Sulley hid in a nearby locker fell on him causing Charlie to shout "23-19" which caused the CDA to work on him again. When Charlie picks out a door to a house in the Himalayas, Sulley emerges from it and unknowingly placed a sock on him. This time, George shoved the sock in Charlie's mouth and banished him by throwing him through the door but he escaped through the door and was with George seeing Waternoose being out in the CDA van. By the end of the film, George's fur had grown back.
- Harley P. Gerson - An orange monster with only a large mouth and two legs.
- Harry "Bud" Lucky - A thin turquoise Octopus monster with long shaggy purple hair covering his face.
- Joe "J.J." Ranft - A large red monster with huge fists and three eyes. He is named after Joe Ranft.
- Nicholas "Lanky" Schmidt - A monster with a small head and long arms and legs who is good friends with Peter "Claws" Ward and George Sanderson. When interviewed about the "kid-tastrophe", he claimed Boo flew over him and used laser vision to blast a car.
- Peter "Claws" Ward (voiced by Joe Ranft) - A blue crocodile-like monster with retractable sharp claws and horrifying breath who is good friends with his assistant. When working on one door, he ran out and told his assistant that the child he tried to scare almost touched him resulting in his assistant calling for a door shredder making it the 58th door the company lost this week. He appears to be less fearsome than he appears, as he was seen despairing at his aforementioned failed scare attempt and later crying during Mike's solo number in the company play.
- Ricky Plesuski - A green monster with a huge mouth filled with sharp teeth, snail-like eyes, and eight legs. In "Monsters University," it is shown that Ricky had graduated from Fear Tech and was a former worker at Fear Co and Scream Industries.
- Rivera - A tall, slender orange monster with six tentacles for arms and four shorter tentacles for arms. He is from the same race as the grocer Tony.
In an outtake of the film, taken in slow motion, Sulley gets tripped over as the scarers make their entrance and falls, causing a domino effect where all the other scarers fall as well (Randall initially laughs at Sulley but eventually falls as well). After everybody gets tripped over, a crew member peeks his head out, clapping the upside-down clapperboard.
Assistants to the Scarers of Floor F
- Charlie Proctor (voiced by Philip Proctor) - A blue monster with snail-like eyes and tentacles for arms that is the assistant and good friend of George Sanderson. He would often freak out whenever a human object would come in contact with George, leading to the latter's forcible decontamination by the CDA.
- Betty - A light blue monster that is a two-eyed version of Jeff Fungus and is the assistant of Rivera.
- Waxford - A five-eyed monster with tentacles for legs that is the assistant of Spike. He was mentioned by Mike as having shifty eyes and was later seen with Randall asking if he knows anything about Boo.
- Ted Pauley's Assistant - The unnamed assistant of Ted Pauley and a yellow Chalooby.
- Marge - The assistant of Schmidt and a Starfish-like monster.
- Luckey's Assistant - The unnamed assistant of Luckey and is a red Chalooby.
- Frank - A 1-eyed 4-armed green monster with no visible mouth that has a ruff of fur around his stalk. He also assists Bob Peterston.
- Ricky Assistant - A 3-eyed Pistachio-like monster who assists Ricky.
- Harley's Assistant - An unnamed turquoise monster with Crab like legs and a stalk with one eye who assists Harley Gerson.
- Ranft Assistant - An unnamed light green Slender monster with round 4 or 5 legs who assists Joe J.J. Ranft.
- Chuck - A pink beige frog-like monster with 4 arms and also assists Claws Ward.
Thaddeus Bile (voiced by Jeff Pidgeon) is a trainee Scarer who is also called "Phlegm". He was seen at the beginning of the movie botching his training by leaving the door open as well as slipping on a soccer ball and falling on some jacks. By the end of the film, he begins working on Scare Floor F where he has successfully made a child laugh by slipping on a soccer ball and falling on some jacks again.
The CDA (short for Child Detection Agency) are a group of monsters in hazmat suits whose main job is to respond to any reported incidents of contact between monsters and children or their belongings, since it is believed that such contact is toxic. They isolate and destroy any items accidentally brought back into the monster world. Any monsters that comes in contact with a human object are quickly and forcibly decontaminated while having a neck cone applied afterwards.
They first appear when George Sanderson gets a sock on him and they had to decontaminate him. When Boo gets into Monstropolis and appears at Harryhauser's, the CDA end up "decontaminating" the building and then disinfected the patrons. The bag containing Boo was traced back to Monsters, Inc. where they end up searching the building. Henry J. Waternoose III had the CDA called in to cut the power to Boo's door as soon as it lands. Mike does a diversion that involved throwing one of Boo's socks on one of the agents and then had the other agents chase him. This trick enabled the CDA Agents to be present when Henry confesses his motives that involved abducting children to keep Monsters, Inc. alive. The CDA Agents arrest Waternoose as Mike and Sulley discover that Roz is the chief of the CDA. During the credits, the CDA direct a monster to his seat for the production of Mike and Sulley's play "Put That Thing Back Where It Came From or So Help Me."
In Monsters University, the CDA are called when Mike and Sulley had entered a door that led to a human area. After Mike and Sulley make it back to Monsters University, they are taken away by the CDA.
Tony (voiced by Guido Quaroni) is a tall, slender orange monster with a moustache, two tentacles for arms and four shorter tentacles for arms. He is a grocer that works at Tony's Grossery and was first seen telling Mike and Sulley that somebody is about to break the All-Scare Record and throws them blood oranges while wishing them the best of luck.
The Abominable Snowman (voiced by John Ratzenberger) is a monster from Monstropolis who got banished to the Himalayas. He is an expert of making snow cones. He greets Sulley and Mike when Henry J. "Mr." Waternoose III and Randall Boggs banish them to the Himalayas. While the Abominable Snowman tries to make Mike and Sulley feel at home in his abode, he understands Sulley must rescue Boo, and tells him of a Nepalese village at the foot of the mountain whereupon they can regain access to the monster world. Despite everything, the Abominable Snowman seems to have made the best of his fate and genuinely seems to enjoy the human world.
In Monsters University, he was shown to have worked as a mailroom employee at Monsters, Inc. He warns Mike and Sulley not to mess with the mail which is a crime punished by banishment (which possibly hints why he was banished).
Appearing in Monsters University
Dean Abigail Hardscrabble
Dean Abigail Hardscrabble (voiced by Helen Mirren) is the strict dean of Monsters University. She is a dark red dragon-like monster with centipede-like legs and red bat wings. Dean Hardscrabble was modeled after a type of centipede called Scolopendra gigantea (also known as the Amazonian giant centipede). When Dean Hardscrabble attended Monsters University in her youth, she was a member of the Eta Hiss Hiss sorority and the founder and a four-time consecutive champion of the Scare Games.
She first appears where she flies into Professor Derek Knight's class to oversee the final exam that helps to weed out the least-worthy scarers. Mike was kicked out as Hardscrabble considered him "not scary" and "what [Mike] lacked is something that cannot be taught" (i.e. he lacked any actual scariness). Sulley was kicked out by Hardscrabble when he performed an incorrect scare due to his lack of studying and preparation (instead relying on his natural scaring prowess). This caused both of them to be kicked out of the School of Scaring. Mike later finds out that the only way to get back into the scaring program is to compete in the Scare Games with a fraternity of rejected monsters called Oozma Kappa, and as a result, Mike makes a deal with Dean Hardscrabble that Oozma Kappa wins the Games, they will be reinstated back into the scaring program. Otherwise if they lose, Mike will have to leave the school forever. Sensing this opportunity, Sulley offers to join in Oozma Kappa, allowing the team to gain entry.
During the Scare Games, Dean Hardscrabble is secretly watching Mike and Sulley competing from afar, aware and expecting that they are both going to fail. For the Toxicity challenge after Oozma Kappa came in last place, Hardscrabble stated to Mike that only a miracle can save him from expulsion. By coincidence, one miracle actually happened when Brock Pearson announced that Jaws Theta Chi was disqualified for using an illegal protective sting ointment during the Toxicity challenge which puts Oozma Kappa back into the competition. Dean Hardscrabble then keeps an eye on Oozma Kappa during the remaining challenges. But after Oozma Kappa wins the Games when they beat Roar Omega Roar in the final round with the scare simulators, Sulley confesses to Hardscrabble that he cheated by setting Mike's simulator level to easy just to make Oozma Kappa win due to Mike's inability to scare. An outraged Hardscrabble orders him to leave the campus when all of a sudden, she is alerted that Mike had secretly snuck into the door lab, prompting Sulley to go there to save his friend, despite Harscrabble's warnings.
Dean Hardscrabble then shuts down the door in question, which led to a cabin at a campsite in a park until the authorities arrive, but Mike and Sulley manage to escape back by scaring several human adults in the form of a team of park rangers. Their actions led to both Mike and Sulley being expelled from Monsters University permanently, and Hardscrabble was sad to let them go because of their actions. While considered as a major offense to her school, their actions ended up surprising her (something which no one has ever done). Dean Hardscrabble had Oozma Kappa enroll into the Scaring Program (despite Mike's and Sulley's actions), admitting that she was impressed by their performances in the Games.
Professor Derek Knight
Professor Derek Knight (voiced by Alfred Molina) is a dinosaur-like monster who teaches SCARING 101: Intro to Scaring at the School of Scaring. He would often weed out the least worthy students so that the best of the best can move on to becoming Scarers. When he is first seen during the exam that would determine who will take part in the School of Scaring, Dean Abigail Hardscrabble "assisted" him where she weeded out Mike for not being scary and Sully for doing an incorrect scare. Professor Knight was later seen with Dean Hardscrabble when Sully admitted that he rigged Mike's scare simulator during the final Scare Games event. In the post credits scenes he has a card saying that he worked at Fear. Co.
William Brandywine is a round monster with yellow fur whose eyes are invisible. He works at Monsters University's School of Engineering where he teaches Scream Canister Designs. Don Carlton's character model was used to make Professor Brandywine.
The Librarian (voiced by Marcia Wallace) is an elderly female monster that works at the library at Monsters University. She is a large slug-headed teacher with six monstrous tentacles for legs and gray hair. The Librarian is involved in the "Don't Wake the Parent" challenge of the Scare Games where the Librarian's reaction to noise is made to emulate the danger of parents and how a Scarer has to get along without being caught by one. Any team who is caught by the Librarian is thrown out of the library and eliminated from the competition. The Oozmas gave up on silence after Sulley accidentally knocked fell over with a ladder and they started a noisy display to distract and confuse the Librarian to get their flag.
Oozma Kappa students
Oozma Kappa is one of the six fraternities at Monsters University. It is mostly filled with good-natured misfits. Besides the protagonists Mike and Sulley, among the members of Oozma Kappa are:
- Don Carlton (voiced by Joel Murray) is a mature monster who returned to Monsters University to learn how to use computers and maybe consider trying for scaring. He is the President of Oozma Kappa. Don later got engaged to Scott "Squishy" Squibbles' mother Sherri. During the credits, it is shown that Don had gotten a job as a scarer at Monsters Inc. under the moniker "Dangerous Don Carlton".
- Art (voiced by Charlie Day) is a purple furry monster with an arch shape and a questionable background. It is shown during the credits that he got a job at Monsters Inc.
- Scott "Squishy" Squibbles (voiced by Peter Sohn) is a five-eyed jelly monster whose mother owns the fraternity house. It is shown during the credits that he got a job at Monsters Inc.
- Terri and Terry Perry (voiced by Sean Hayes and Dave Foley) is a two-headed monster with one eye on each head, four arms, and tentacles for legs. Terri's head has one horn while Terry's head has two horns. Terri is the naively optimistic one of the two while Terry is more morose. It is shown during the credits that they got a job at Monsters Inc.
Roar Omega Roar students
Roar Omega Roar is one of the six fraternities at Monsters University. It is made up of the best of the best as they are the smartest, most-skilled, and scariest monsters at Monsters University. Besides Randall, among the members of Roar Omega Roar are:
- Johnny J. "The Jaw" Worthington III (voiced by Nathan Fillion) - Johnny J. Worthington III is the confident President of Roar Omega Roar. He is the main antagonist of the prequel and Mike Wazowski's rival. During the credits, it is shown that Johnny got a job as a Scarer at Fear Co.
- Chet "The Claw" Alexander (voiced by Bobby Moynihan) - Chet Alexander is a one-eyed crab monster that serves as the Vice President of Roar Omega Roar. During the credits, it is shown that Chet got a job as a scarer at Fear Co.
- Chip Goff - Chip Goff is a purple monster with two horns and vampire fangs who roars like a Wookiee. He is the only member of the fraternity (Sulley not included) to wear a fraternity letterman jacket: the rest of the fraternity wear cardigans, in accordance with their "elite" image.
- "Howling" Javier Rios - Javier Rios is an insect-like monster with four arms and pink eyes. Competes against Art in the final round of the Scare Games.
- Reggie "Bruiser" Jacobs - Reggie Jacobs is a dark green monster with three eyes and grass-like hair all over his body. Competes against (and loses to) Don Carlton in the final round of the Scare Games.
Python Nu Kappa students
Python Nu Kappa is one of the six sororities at Monsters University. The female students here - aside from being near identical to each other with minor color differences and all sharing the same voice actress, Beth Behrs- are smart, frozen-hearted, and merciless. In the Scare Games, Python Nu Kappa was eliminated after they got lost in the maze and accidentally scared teenagers during the "Don't Scare the Teen" event. According to the "Monsters University Essential Guide," all of the members of Python Nu Kappa want to work at a crematorium and have eyes that all glow in the dark. Every time they get announced, or tell Oozma Kappa they're "going to rip them to pieces," they all hiss and their eyes glow. Among the members of Python Nu Kappa are:
- Carrie Williams - Carrie Williams is a three-eyed pink monster with red hair who is the fearless President of Python Nu Kappa. During the credits, it is shown that Carrie got a job as a scarer at Scream Industries.
- Britney Davis - Britney Davis is a three-eyed turquoise monster with pink hair.
- Crystal DuBois - Crystal DuBois is a three-eyed purple monster with red hair.
- Heather Olson - Heather Olson is a three-eyed blue monster with purple hair.
- Naomi Jackson - Naomi Jackson is a three-eyed pink monster with purple hair. During the "Don't Scare the Teen" event, it is seen that Naomi can breathe fire, and she fires at a cardboard teenager who says, "You're lame."
- Taylor Holbrook - Taylor Holbrook is a three-eyed purple monster with pink hair.
Jaws Theta Chi students
Jaws Theta Chi is one of the six fraternities at Monsters University. The students here are big on brawn and small on brainpower. In the Scare Games, Jaws Theta Chi was disqualified for using a sting ointment that would prevent them from getting swelled upon coming in contact with the child's toys (represented as sea urchins) during the "Toxicity Challenge" event. Besides George Sanderson, among the members of Jaws Theta Chi are:
- Roy "Big Red" O'Growlahan (voiced by John Cygan) - Roy "Big Red" O'Grwolahan is a big red monster with eye stalks who is the President of Jaws Theta Chi. He competed with an Omega Howl student to get Sulley into their group.
- Dirk Pratt - Dirk Pratt is a yellow furry monster with sharp teeth and a mace at the end of his tail.
- Omar Harris - Omar Harris is a small bean-like monster with six legs and bat-like wings who can fly. In the end credits, it is shown that he got a job at Scream Industries.
- Percy Boleslaw - Percy Boleslaw is a one-eyed purple monster with horns.
- Baboso Goretega - Baboso Goretega is a blue slug-like monster. While appearing in promotional material for the film, he is never actually seen in the final film.
Slugma Slugma Kappa students
Slugma Slugma Kappa is one of the six Sororities at Monsters University. The students here spend most of their days working out and running drills to perfect their scaring skills. In the Scare Games, Slugma Slugma Kappa was eliminated after they were caught by the Librarian during the "Avoid the Parent" event and thrown out (thanks to a distraction from Oozma Kappa). Among the members of Slugma Slugma Kappa are:
- Carla Delgado - Carla Delgado is a pink monster with tentacles for arms and legs who is the President of Slugma Slugma Kappa. According to the "Monsters University Essential Guide," Carla is an ace swimmer.
- Brynn Larson - Brynn Larson is a purple three-eyed bean-shaped monster with purple skin and can run fast.
- Debbie Gabler - Debbie Gabler is a turquoise monster with turquoise hair. She has one eye on top of her hair.
- Donna Soohoo - Donna Soohoo is a purple snake-like monster with hair all over her head, covering her face. In the end, she gets a job at Monsters, Inc.
- Maria Garcia - Maria Garcia is an orange monster with parted hair covering one eye.
- Violet Steslicki - Violet Steslicki is a big one-eyed purple monster with brown twisted horns.
Eta Hiss Hiss students
Eta Hiss Hiss is one of the six Sororities at Monsters University. The students here have a goth and emo style. This was the sorority that Dean Hardscrabble was a part of when she attended Monsters University. In the Scare Games, Eta Hiss Hiss was eliminated after they didn't find good hiding places in the "Hide and Sneak" event. According to the "Monsters University Fearbook" and the "Monsters University Extensive Guide," the members of Eta Hiss Hiss are an award-winning A Cappella group. Among the members of Eta Hiss Hiss are:
- "Roaring" Rosie Levin - Rosie Levin is a rock monster with pointy glasses and earring-covered horns that is the President of Eta Hiss Hiss. Every time someone calls their team she hisses.In the end she gets a job at MI.
- Nadya Petrov - Nadya Petrov is a dark pink monster with three eyes and purple hair.
- Nancy Kim - Nancy Kim is a short one-eyed monster with a long striped neck and six crab-like legs. She is the smallest of the group and she later gets a job at Monsters, Inc. in the end.
- Rhonda Boyd - Rhonda Boyd is a pink slug like monster with one eye with darker pink hair/spikes.
- Sonia Lewis - Sonia Lewis is a blue monster with eyes that protrude from the top of her head with oversized two front teeth and has a black jacket with small white polka dots.
- Susan Jensen - Susan Jensen is a pink monster with a small torso, but with long legs and arms. She has purple and pink hair covering one of her eyes. She is known as the greatest agile circus performer.
Brock Pearson (voiced by Tyler Labine) is a massive purple bird-like monster with a beak and sharp claws on his hands. He is the Vice-President of the Greek Council. He and Claire commentate on the Scare Games. He was credited as "Greek Council VP."
Claire Wheeler (voiced by Aubrey Plaza) is a three-eyed grey monster who is a member of the Greek Council. She and Brock commentate on the Scare Games. She was credited as "Greek Council President."
The Slug Student (voiced by Bill Hader) is a student that attended Monsters University. When school starts, the Slug Student slithers to get to his class. By the time he gets to his classroom in the post-credits, he learns from the janitor that the school year is over and slithers home.
Ms. Karen Graves
"Frightening" Frank McCay (voiced by John Krasinski) is a superstar Scarer on Scare Floor D at Monsters, Inc. who inspires Mike to want to be a Scarer. He is a tall, light blue monster with retractable claws, numerous spikes on his head, and five tentacles as legs.
Ms. Sherry Squibbles
Ms. Sherry Squibbles (voiced by Julia Sweeney) is a monster who is the mother of Scott Squibbles. She also owns the Oozma Kappa fraternity house. By the end of the film, Sherry gets engaged to Don Carlton.
Archie the Scare Pig
Archie the Scare Pig is the mascot of Fear Tech (a rival school of Monsters University) that Sulley steals. Mike later catches Archie by tipping over a trash can and trapping him. The other students gave Sulley the credit for catching Archie much to the dismay of Mike.
The Smile Squad
The Smile Squad is the team that helped Mike get registered for his first day and give him information about Monsters University. All of their names rhyme with "ay". Among the members are:
- Jay - Jay is a pink monster with two eyes on his head and tentacles for hands and legs. He contacts incoming students and directs them to the registration hall.
- Kay - Kay is a yellow bean-shaped monster with three eyes. She works at the registration table.
- Trey - Trey is a blue slug-like monster. He is in charge of taking the photo for a student's I.D. card.
- Fay - Fay is a blue monster with blue hair and two eyes on top of her head and tentacles for hand and legs. She gives new students an orientation tour of the university's facilities.
- Ray- Ray is a blue monster with two eyes on his head. He is stationed at the dormitories and assigns new students their room.
Monsters, Inc Professional Scarers
During Mike's childhood, his class encountered various Scarers in their field trip to Monsters, Inc. Besides Frank McCay, among the famous Scarers are:
- "Jumping" Jerry Jablonski - A light green monster who is a recolored version of Rivera.
- "Screaming" Bob Gunderson - Bob Gunderson is a large, shaggy red muskox-like monster with curly horns, giant bushy eyebrows that conceal his eyes completely, and a giant bushy, black mustache. He was seen during Oozma Kappa's "field trip" to Monsters, Inc.
- Betty Stevenson - A red one-eyed monster with two large cow-like horns.
- Carl Johnson - A purple one-eyed monster with a single horn on his head
- Carla "Killer Claws" Benitez - Carla "Killer Claws" Benitez tall yellow monster with long purple claws which are her big attribute. She was seen during Oozma Kappa's "field trip" to Monsters, Inc.
- Carol Dallmar - A yellow monster who is a recolored version of Ricky Plesuski.
- Clive Carver - A light blue monster who is a recolored version of Augustus "Spike" Jones.
- Darryl Payne - A green monster with long, thin arms and legs, three eyes, and sharp spikes covering his body.
- Dorothy "The Pink Widow" Newbern - A pink pompom spider-like monster.
- Earl "The Terror" Thompson - Earl "The Terror" Thompson is a blue monster with four eyes and a dark blue mustache resembling himself a tarantula. He was a famous scarer working at Monsters, Inc., who had a particularly long career, continuing to scare at old age. He appears two times in the film. The first time is when a younger Earl can be seen during the prologue during young Mike's field trip. Much later, the Oozma Kappa Students see him during their "field trip" to Monsters, Inc.
- Hank "The Tank" Knapp - Hank "The Tank" Knapp is a giant, dark green, toad-like monster. In the earlier parts of the film, Hank argues with Frank about the superiority between Monsters University and Fear Tech.
- Jason Chiang - A red-and-yellow-striped monster with bat-like wings.
- Raj Kapoor - A purple Indian Rhinoceros-like monster with spike-like "hair" and a short horn on his nose.
- Rufus Remerez - An maroon monster that is a recolored version of Ricky Plesuski.
- The Kowalski Sisters - Tracey, Stacey and Casey are a three-headed purple dragon-like monster.
- Tommy Gill - A rectangular yellow monster with one eye, scale-like hair, and dark yellow spots.
- Walter "Wailing Walt" Friedman - A shaggy yellow monster with three horns on his head and two upward-pointing fangs
- O'Hara, Helen (February 11, 2013). "Helen Mirren Set For Monsters University". Empire. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Reynolds, Simon (February 21, 2013). "'Monsters University' unveils character posters, ID cards". Digital Spy. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Eisenberg, Eric (August 20, 2011). "Monsters University Voice Cast And Plot Details Announced At D23". Cinema Blend. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- Rizvi, Samad (February 12, 2013). "New ‘Monsters University’ Characters Revealed, Sean Hayes and Charlie Day Join Cast". Pixar Times. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Rome, Emily (April 16, 2013). "Nathan Fillion, Bonnie Hunt, John Krasinski, more voice cast revealed for Pixar's 'Monsters University' -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 16, 2013.