List of Mudaliars
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with List of Vellalars. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2013.|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
Mudaliar also Mudaliyar, 'Mudali and Moodley is a title used by Tamil castes such as Agamudayars, Vellalars and Sengunthars. It is derived from the honorary title Mudali meaning a person of first rank in the Tamil language which was bestowed upon top-ranking bureaucratic officials and army officers in medieval south India. The surname is generally prevalent among Indian Tamils and the Tamil diaspora though it is also used in other parts of South India.
The following is a list of some notable members of the Mudaliar community.
- Andaka Kaviviraraghava Mudaliar: A poet of the 16th century
- Ariyanatha Mudaliar: Vellala Dalavoy of the Vijayanagar viceroy Viswanatha Nayaka.
- Raja Kanda Swami Mudaliar: Minster of Abkari and Customs with Mir Osman Ali, Nizam of Hyderabad.
Social leaders, activists
- Makaral Karthikeya Mudaliar: Tamil scholar
- Pa. Subramania Mudaliar: Tamil scholar
- Mahavidwan Vasudeva Mudaliar: Tamil scholar
- T. K. Chidambaranatha Mudaliar: A scholar and author of Kambar tharum Ramayanam; hailed from Athur Mopothiyar Gothram of Tenkasi
- Pachaiyappa Mudaliar: Philanthropist after whom the Pachaiyappa's College,Pachiyappa's Trust Board, Chennai was named.
- Raja Sir Ramaswamy Mudaliar: Philanthropist who endowed a hospital and dispensary in the Native infirmary
- Arcot Narrainsawmy Mudaliar, Philanthropist who founded the R.B.A.N.M.'s Educational Charities and R.B.A.N.M.'s Chattram and other Charities.
- C.N.Annadurai : One among Founders of Dravida Munnetra Kazhagham ( DMK ).. & one of the best chief ministers of Tamilnadu
- C. Natesa Mudaliar: Founded Justice Party
- C. S. Ratnasabhapathy Mudaliar, Father of Modern Coimbatore
- S. Muthiah Mudaliar,Ex Minister of Education(1928–30).
- C. Muttukumarasami Mudaliyar, Indian politician and hereditary zamindar of Chunampet. Member of the Madras Legislative Council 1904-7
- R. N. Arogyasamy Mudaliar: an Indian civil engineer and politician who served as the Minister of Development in the Madras Presidency from 1926 to 1928
- A. M. Ponnuranga Mudaliar: Former MLA of Sholinghur constituency, INC
- C. Ramaswamy Mudaliar (1905–1997), Indian politician from Indian National Congress. Member of Lok Sabha for Kumbakonam from 1951 to 1957.
- S. J. Ramaswamy Mudali: Former DMK MLA
- A. Ranganatha Mudaliar: Indian politician and theosophist from Bellary,first Commissioner of the Thirumala-Tirupathi devasthanam board from 1935 to 1939.
- P.Anand Rao Mudaliar: Commissioner of Endowments and Executive Officer of Tirumala - Tirupathi Devasthanam Board.
- S. C. Sadayappa Mudaliar: Former INC MLA
- S. V. Natesa Mudaliar: Former INC MLA from Kanchipuram, Famous for defeating former chief minister C.N Annadurai.
- A. R. Subbiah Mudaliar: Tamil Nadu politician
- C. P. Subbiah Mudaliar: Tamil Nadu politician
- V. L. Ethiraj Mudaliar, founder of Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai; first Indian to be appointed as Crown Prosecutor by the British Raj
Civil service and judiciary
- S. Muthiah Mudaliar, High Court lawyer and politician, Justice party
- Arcot Ramasamy Mudaliar, Mayor of Madras (1928–30), Vice Chancellor of University of Kerala (1951–61), leader of the Justice Party politician, member of Winston Churchill's war cabinet, first President of ECOSOC and Founder of WHO, founding Chairman of ICICI Bank, Diwan of Mysore; awarded Padma Vibushan
- Kanakaraya Mudali, Chief dubash and a broker for the French East India Company
- Ponneri Padmarao Mudaliar, Addl. Superintendent of Police. Awarded President's Police Medal.
Arts and cinema
- Pammal Sambandha Mudaliar, playwright and director of Tamil drama
- Tharini Mudaliar, Australian actress
A.C.Tirulokchander Film Director
Doctors,scientists and academicians
- Guruswami Mudaliar, first Indian to be appointed Professor of Therapeutics at the Madras Medical College, first Dean of Madras Medical college
- A. Lakshmanaswami Mudaliar, first Indian Principal of the Madras Medical College and longest-serving Vice Chancellor of the University of Madras; Chairman of UNESCO; awarded Padma Vibushan for Medicine, 1963
- Varadarajan Mudaliar, mobster known as Vardha Bhai; the Tamil movie Nayagan was based on his life story
- "Irschick, Eugene F. Dialogue and History: Constructing South India, 1795-1895. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994". Content.cdlib.org. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- "::: Pachaiyappa's College - Welcomes You :::". Pachaiyappaschennai.net. Retrieved 2012-05-09.
- Dr M R Guruswamy Mudaliar, Indian Stamp Ghar, 21 Apr 2009