List of Music Choice channels
Music Choice (abbreviated as MC) is an American company that programs music and produces music-related content for digital cable television, mobile phone and cable modem users in the United States. Music Choice programs dozens of audio music channels for digital cable subscribers, as well as programs and produces music-related content for on-demand customers with access to Music Choice On-Demand. Music Choice also offers video and audio music programming for cell phone customers through Sprint and AT&T. Music Choice's interactive music video network, SWRV, was started in February 2010 and rebranded in 2013 to Music Choice Play.
Many digital cable and telco companies carry Music Choice, including Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Charter Communications, Cablevision, Cox Communications, Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-verse, Grande Communications, Service Electric Cable TV, CenturyLink, and Bright House Networks. Other companies offer similar audio services for commercial customers, such as Muzak, DMX and Galaxie.
The following is a list of all of the music streaming channels that exist from Music Choice, an American company that programs music and produces music-related content for digital cable television, mobile phone and cable modem users in the United States. Music Choice (formerly known as Digital Cable Radio) was the first digital audio broadcast service in the world and, under its founder and CEO David Del Beccaro, launched in test markets circa 1987.
As of 2014, Music Choice offers 53 linear channels: one video channel, Music Choice Play, 46 and 4 new audio-with-slideshow channels, and one audio-only channel named Taste of Italy; the first and last are only available in a few limited areas. For cable customers with digital-cable-ready tuners, all Music Choice channels may be available as digital subchannels on a single physical TV channel of around 40Mb/s if the cable provider transmits them in clear QAM. This is because the "slideshow" for each music channel runs at a very low frame rate, allowing for the compression ratio to be very high for the MPEG-2 digital video compression used in the ATSC standard. The channels on Music Choice does not include interruptions.
All of Music Choice's audio music channels provide continuous music streaming with no talk, commercials or bumpers. Music Choice offers various streams across multiple genres, with each devoted to a particular genre. While a song is playing, artist, song and album or mixtape information appears on screen as well as trivia facts, artist pictures and generic graphics relevant to that particular channel. It also changes old artist photos to new photos. Music Choice has an editorial staff that checks facts and finds images to provide for artists. Music Choice programmers select the music based on current charts, music trends, sales, what they feel is hot in the industry and feedback from viewers. All of Music Choice's channels are clean version except for six: Rap, Metal, Alternative, Rock Hits, Dance/EDM and Adult Alternative.
After each song, the screen design will rotate to prevent burn-in on television screens. Banner advertisements are displayed on every music channel in lieu of commercials, programmed by individual providers at the headend level via local insertion. Music Choice does not offer any spoken word programming; an unrelated service, the CRN Digital Talk Radio Networks, provides a complementary slate of talk radio channels to cable providers. Music Choice has been found as of 2013 to be the fourth highest-ranking channel in Nielsen ratings based in the 12-34-year-old demographic.
List of current Music Choice channels
- Classical Masterpieces (TV-G) - Classical works from composers of the Renaissance to the present day, generally of considerable length.
- Light Classical (TV-G) - Classical works from composers of the late Renaissance to the present day, generally of shorter length than those featured on "Classical Masterpieces".
- Pop Country (TV-PG) - Plays modern country songs along with today's pop songs. (e.g. Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Florida Georgia Line, The Band Perry, Luke Bryan, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Magic!, Kelly Clarkson, etc.)
- Nash FM (TV-PG) - Modern country music hits of today's hottest country stars from 2007 to today. (e.g. Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban). Formerly known as "Today's Country;" branding agreement with Cumulus Media begins November 24, 2014.
- Nash Icon (TV-PG) - Country music from 1992 to today. (e.g. Garth Brooks, George Strait, Shania Twain, Tim McGraw, and The Dixie Chicks.) Formerly known as "Country Hits;" branding agreement with Cumulus Media begins November 24, 2014.
- Classic Country (TV-PG) - Traditional country music from the 1940s to 1991. (e.g. Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, George Strait.)
- Dance/EDM† - A channel that plays electronic-styled music and club hits. (e.g. Neon Hitch, Peaches, Digitalism, Daft Punk, and David Guetta)
- Easy Listening (TV-G) - Instrumentals performed by string orchestras and soloists from around the world. (e.g. Living Strings, Mantovani, Ronnie Aldrich)
- Soundscapes (TV-G) - Mix of new age, atmospheric and ambient music. (e.g. Jim Brickman, Steven Halpern, Enya)
Jazz & Blues
- Blues (TV-14) - Blues music from the early artists of the 1920s to today. (e.g. B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Little Milton)
- Jazz (TV-PG) - Traditional and contemporary jazz mix that utilizes traditional jazz elements. (e.g. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Stan Getz)
- Smooth Jazz (TV-PG) - Modern jazz music with hints of pop and rock inspiration. (e.g. David Benoit, Lee Ritenour, George Benson, The Rippingtons)
- Mexicana (TV-PG) - A wide variety of traditional folk music from Mexico, featuring styles such as Ranchera, Banda and Mariachi. (e.g. Pepe Aguillar, Joan Sebastian, Huracanes del Norte)
- Musica Urbana (TV-PG) - Urban music popular in Latin communities such as Reggaeton and Latin hip-hop. (e.g. Don Omar, Tego Calderón, Ivy Queen, Daddy Yankee)
- Pop Latino (TV-PG) - Today's hottest hits and pop music from Latin artists. (e.g. Ricky Martin, Shakira, Paulina Rubio)
- Romances (TV-PG) - A mix of romantic and popular Spanish love songs from the past and present. (e.g. Roberto Carlos, Luis Miguel, Joan Sebastian)
- Tropicales (TV-PG) - Music popular in tropical locations, such as the Caribbean. (e.g. Aventura, Víctor Manuelle, Marc Anthony)
Pop and Decades
- Pop Hits (TV-PG) - A mix of pop hits that include youth orientated music with no rap. (e.g. Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Beyoncé, Maroon 5).
- Solid Gold Oldies (TV-PG) - The biggest hits of the fifties and sixties. (e.g. Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Mamas & the Papas, Sam Cooke, The Beach Boys, The Temptations)
- '70s (TV-PG) - Hits from the 1970s. (e.g. Elton John, Stevie Wonder, The Bee Gees, Cat Stevens, The Jackson 5)
- '80s (TV-PG) - Hits from the 1980s. (e.g. Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, Whitney Houston, George Michael)
- '90s (TV-PG) - Hits from the 1990s. (e.g. Alanis Morissette, Nirvana, Janet Jackson, Boyz II Men)
- Y2K (TV-14) - Hits from the 2000s. Songs from the early 2010s may also air. (e.g. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Destiny’s Child, Nelly, Usher)
- Pop Rhythmic (TV-14) - Today's cutting edge and mainstream popular music. (e.g. Drake, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake)
- Hit List (TV-14) - Popular Top 40 hits. (e.g. Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran, P!nk)
- Party Favorites (TV-14) - Mix of music for special occasions and parties. (e.g. Rihanna, Madonna, The Black Eyed Peas)
- Soft Rock (Formerly known as Light Hits) (TV-PG) - Slow and mid-tempo pop music, adult contemporary music, country music and popular music from the past. (e.g. Leona Lewis, Lionel Richie, Celine Dion) (the normal schedule is replaced with contemporary Christmas music from November 29 through January 6).
- Contemporary Christian (TV-G) - Inspiring and uplifting Christian and worship music from the 1980s to the present. (e.g. Mercyme, Steven Curtis Chapman, Third Day)
- Gospel (TV-G) - Modern and traditional gospel music. (e.g. Yolanda Adams, Kirk Franklin, Hezekiah Walker)
- Adult Alternative† - Uncensored alternative music that is targeted for more adult audiences. (e.g. Amy Winehouse, My Morning Jacket, Tracy Chapman)
- Alternative† - Uncensored music from bands redefining the modern rock landscape. (e.g. The Killers, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, My Chemical Romance)
- Classic Rock (TV-14) - Album-oriented playlists from the 1960s through the 2010s with artists who helped pioneer the genre of rock music. (e.g. Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Moody Blues, Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, Talking Heads, Asia, Billy Squier, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Queen).
- Metal† - Aggressive sounding metal music using exotic and experimental techniques and genres. Most, if not all music on this channel is from the 2000s and 2010s. (e.g. Killswitch Engage, Down, Crowbar, Periphery, Lamb of God)
- Indie† - Modern day Alternative music.
- Rock Hits† - Mix of arena rock and modern rock; music is played in blocks, separated by decade. (e.g. Nirvana, Bon Jovi, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Weezer).
- Rock - Popular rock music from the 1990s to the present. (e.g. Avenged Sevenfold, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Hinder, Papa Roach, Cavo)
- R&B Classics (TV-PG) - A variety of funk, soul, and Motown hits from the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. (e.g. Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Chaka Khan, Prince)
- R&B Soul (TV-PG) - Urban adult music and sultry, slow jams. (e.g. Mary J. Blige, Maxwell, Alicia Keys, R. Kelly, Toni Braxton)
- Hip-Hop and R&B (TV-14) - Today's hottest hip-hop and R&B music. (e.g. Drake, Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Chris Brown, Usher)
- Hip-Hop Classics† - Hits from artists that pioneered the genre of hip-hop. (e.g. Run DMC, A Tribe Called Quest, Tupac Shakur, Notorious B.I.G.).
- Throwback Jamz (TV-14) - Mix of R&B, urban hits, and old-school rap. (e.g. Brandy, Keith Sweat, Aaliyah, TLC)
- Rap† - An uncensored mix of modern uncensored rap and non-stop hip-hop from new music exclusives. (e.g. 2 Chainz, Rick Ross, T.I., Young Jeezy)
- Teen MC (TV-PG) - Popular music geared towards teenagers. (e.g. Calvin Harris, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5, One Direction.)
- Kidz Only! (TV-G) - Music popular with youngsters and "tweens", including TV and movie soundtracks. (e.g. Mindless Behavior, Ross Lynch, Allstar Weekend, Taylor Swift); ad-free
- Toddler Tunes (TV-G) - Contemporary music aimed at babies, toddlers, and young children; includes lullabies that are played at night. (e.g. Joanie Bartels, Laurie Berkner, Baby Einstein); ad-free
- Reggae - Mix of reggae, ska and other Caribbean rhythms of the past and present. (e.g. Bob Marley, Beres Hammond, Buju Banton)
- Love Songs - Romantic monster ballads and mid- tempo songs from yesterday and today.(e.g. Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, Adele, and Justin Timberlake.)
- Sounds of the Seasons (TV-PG) - Special music that plays to celebrate various holidays and seasons. The 2015 schedule includes:
- Valentine's Day (second week of February)
- Mardi Gras (week and a half period before Ash Wednesday)
- St. Patrick's Day (the second and early third week of March)
- Cinco De Mayo (first week of May)
- Memorial Day Weekend (May 23 through May 26)
- Patriotic music (first week of July)
- Christmas in July (third week of July) 
- Labor Day Weekend (August 29 to September 1)
- Patriot's Days (September 11 through September 11)
- Oktoberfest (late September through October 7)
- Halloween (October 8 to November 3)
- Christmas (runs from November 3 through January 6)
- The Pulse (all other times)
- Stage & Screen (TV-PG) - An original mix of music from the movies, TV and Broadway: from blockbuster film scores to memorable TV theme songs to classic Broadway showtunes. (e.g. Disney on Broadway, Rodgers and Hammerstein)
- Singers & Swing (TV-PG) - big band, swing & adult standards. (e.g. Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington)
Channels with limited availability
These Music Choice channels are only available in some areas and may not have song information.
- Taste Of Italy (TV-PG) - Italian music, ranging from standards such as Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra to contemporary Italian-language hits.
- Tejano (TV-PG)
- Contemporary Instrumentals (TV-G) - A blend of classic and modern Smooth Jazz with new age, piano solos, instrumental cover versions of songs and easy listening production music.
List of defunct channels
These Music Choice channels over the years have either been taken off the air, renamed, or they were replaced by another channel.
- Dance/Electronica - (renamed Dance/EDM in 2013)
- Retro Rock - (merged with Classic Alternative in 2013 to form Rock Hits)
- MC MixTape - (replaced by MCU in 2012. Songs became part of the Dance/Electronica channel until 2013)
- Radio Disney - (replaced by Kidz Only! in 2007)
- Arena Rock - (replaced by Retro Rock)
- Retro Active
- Bluegrass - (removed in 2009)
- Opera - (removed in 2009)
- Showtunes - (replaced by Stage & Screen)
- Old School Rap - (renamed Hip Hop Classics in 2009)
- Classic Disco - (replaced by MC MixTape)
- Classic Alternative - (merged with Retro Rock in 2013 to form Rock Hits)
- Dance and Electronica - (merged)
- International Love Songs - (removed in 2009 but came back on the air as Love Songs in 2013)
- Rock en Espanol - (replaced by Romances)
- New Wave - (absorbed into Hit List)
- True Country - (replaced by Country Hits)
- Americana - (replaced by True Country)
- Lite Rock - (renamed Soft Rock)
- Adult Top 40 - (absorbed into Pop Hits and Hit List)
- Power Rock
- Singers and Standards - (renamed Singers and Swing)
- Indie Rock - (online exclusive, became its own channel on August 5, 2014)
- MCU - (replaced by Indie on August 5, 2014)
- Computeruser.com - Sound and vision | articles
- » Feb 2 – Music Choice Raises the Bar on TV Everywhere Distribution Unicorn Media :: Monetizing Your Mobile Video
- Why do the images on Music Choice change position at the beginning of each song? Does this prevent TV screen burn in? | Time Warner Cable
- Music Choice: Taste of Italy TV Schedule | LocateTV
- Music Choice: Taste of Italy TV Listings, TV Shows and Schedule - Zap2it