List of Muskingum University alumni
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of Muskingum University alumni.
Government and politics
- John Willis Menard (via Iberia College and Ohio Central College), first African-American to address the U.S. House of Representatives, in 1869
- John Glenn (class of 1962), Democratic U.S. Senator from Ohio (1975-1999), 1984 Democratic Presidential Nominnee
- Annie Glenn (class of 1941), wife of former U.S. Senator and astronaut John Glenn and civic leader
- Samuel Speck (class of 1959), Harvard Ph.D., Associate Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) during Reagan Administration, and 20th President of Muskingum College
- President Warren G. Harding, via Muskingum's assumption of Ohio Central College
- Robert M. Warner (class of 1949), Sixth Archivist of the United States
- C. Ellis Moore (class of 1907), Republican U.S. Representative from Ohio from 1919-1933
- Robert T. Secrest (class of 1926), Democratic U.S. Representative from Ohio from 1933-1967
- Charles J. Pilliod, Jr. (class of 1941), United States Ambassador to Mexico, 1986-1989
- Earl R. Lewis (class of 1911), former Republican U.S. Representative from Ohio from 1939-40 and 1943-48
- Martha C. Moore (class of 1940), former Chairwomen of the Ohio Republican Party, Vice-Chairwomen of the Ohio Republican Party for 44 years, longest serving member of the Republican National Committee in its history (35 years) and inductee to the Ohio Women's Hall of Fame.
- C. William Fischer, Jr. (class of 1953), former Assistant U.S. Secretary of Education, former Deputy Associate Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget, former Deputy Administrator U.S. Department of Energy, and former Vice President of Finance for the University of Colorado
- Francis Scott McBride (class of 1895), leader of prohibition and longtime National Superintendent of the U.S. Anti-Saloon League
- Sean Logan (class of 1988), current Director of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, former Columbiana County, OH Commissioner
- Joe Secrest (class of 1970), current President of the Ohio Controlling Board in the State Office of Management and Budget, Guernsey County, OH Commissioner
- Donald L. Mason,(class of 1979), Mayor of Zanesville 1984-1991, Ohio Dept. Of Natural Resources 1991-1998, Ohio Public Utilities Commissioner 1998-2008
- Jack Hanna (class of 1969), former Columbus Zoo and Aquarium director and television personality was also a member of the M.A.C.E Club
- Agnes Moorehead (class of 1923), Emmy Award-winning actress ("Bewitched"), member of the Delta Gamma Theta Sorority
- Robert W. Patin, Jr. (class of 1964), President and COO of Big Idea Productions, the makers of Veggie Tales
- David Budbill (class of 1962), American poet, author and playwright
- Laurence Overmire (valedictorian, class of 1979), American poet, author, actor, playwright
- William Rainey Harper (class of 1870), first President, University of Chicago
- Richard Pipes (class of 1944), Professor of History Emeritus, Harvard University
- William Oxley Thompson (class of 1870), President, of The Ohio State University and Miami University
- Charles Hiram Mattoon (class of 184?), pioneer Minister, author of 'The Baptist Annals of Oregon'
- Dennis Berkey (class of 1969), President, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Philip Caldwell (class of 1940), retired CEO of Ford Motor Company
- William Dentzer (class of 1951), founding Chairman and CEO of the Depository Trust Corporation
- Walter Young (class of 1966), retired CEO of Champion Enterprises, Inc.
- Robert W. Patin, Jr. (class of 1964), former president of Puritan Life Insurance Company and former president and CEO of CNA Financial Corporation
- Jacqueline Dudek Woods (class of 1969), first women president of a major utility company- Ameritech Ohio
- Hal Burlingame (class of 1962), former president of human resources for AT&T & a senior executive advisor for AT&T Wireless
- J. Stark Thompson (class of 1963), former President and CEO of Life Technologies, Inc.
- William W. Goetz (class of 1986), president and COO of Cintas
- Jim Heacock (class of 1970), defensive coordinator and defensive line coach at Ohio State University
- Bill "Cannonball" Cooper (class of 1961), former running back for the San Francisco 49ers and inductee of the College Football Hall of Fame
- Edgar "Ed" Sherman (class of 1936), legendary Muskingum head football coach for 22 years and College Football Hall of Fame inductee
- Jim Burson (class of 1963), legendary Muskingum head basketball coach for 39 years and Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame inductee. His 542-416 record also ranks in the top 10 of all-time in division III and currently top 5 among division III coaches. Coach Burson was OAC Coach of the Year six times. He coached seven All-Americans and 68 All OAC players. Furthermore his teams won three OAC regular season titles (1973, 1974, and 1976), three OAC Tournament Championships (1977, 1988 and 1990), and went to the NCAA Div. III Tournament five times (1977, 1981, 1983, 1988, and 1990).
- Darrell Hazell (class of 1986) currently the head football coach at Purdue University.
- Jen Segner-Filtz (class of 2000), as a pitcher for the Muskies, she finished her career with several NCAA Division III records including wins in a single season (40 in 2000). Currently, she is second in career pitching wins (117).
- Mandy Carnes (class of 2004) is the NCAA Division III softball leader in home runs in a career (59) as well as home runs in a season (24 in 2002).
- Erica Hoyt (class of 2006) finished her career pitching for the Muskingum softball team as winningest pitcher (120) in NCAA Division III history (passing fellow Muskie alumna Jen Segner-Filtz), as well as holding the second and third spots for most pitching victories in a single season (38 in 2004 and 37 in 2005), respectively.
- Tim Timmons, Major League Baseball umpire
- Brandon Todd, known as the 5'5 dunker, played for the 2001, 2002, and 2003 All-Ohio team with LeBron James. He now has developed a training program called "FlytRight" that is a body and athletic transformation program.
- Tom Carr, (Class of 2004) - Assistant Wrestling Coach - George Mason University
- Chris Limle, (Class of 2009) - OAC Tournament Appearance 2008- Professional Soccer Team Columbus Crew. Current Head Mens Soccer Coach at Muskingum University.
- Nikhil Deogun (class of 1991), Deputy Chief of the Washington Bureau of the Wall Street Journal
- Beverly Schuch (class of 1971), former Emmy and Peabody award winning host of CNN's show Pinnacle for 14 years
- John Glenn (class of 1962), first man to orbit the earth, oldest man ever in space