List of National Basketball Association players with most steals in a game
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
50 different players have recorded 9 or more steals in a game. It has occurred 71 times in total in NBA history.
Allen Iverson is the only player to record 9 or more steals in a playoff game.
The NBA did not record steals until the 1973–74 season.
|^||Active NBA player|
|*||Inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame|
|Occurred in playoff competition|
|Player's team lost the game|
|Steals||Player||Team||Score||Opponent||Date||Minutes played||Points||Rebounds||Assists||Triple-double||Led the league in steals||Notes||Ref.|
|11||Kenon, LarryLarry Kenon||San Antonio Spurs||110–105||Kansas City Kings||December 26, 1976||44||29||15||4||Yes||No|
|11||Gill, KendallKendall Gill||New Jersey Nets||88–77||Miami Heat||April 3, 1999||40||15||10||3||Yes||Yes||[a]|
|10||West, JerryJerry West*||Los Angeles Lakers||111–115||Seattle SuperSonics||December 7, 1973||37||27||5||5||No||No||[b]|
|10||Steele, LarryLarry Steele||Portland Trail Blazers||112–99||Los Angeles Lakers||November 16, 1974||44||12||11||9||Yes||No|
|10||Brown, FredFred Brown||Seattle SuperSonics||121–112||Philadelphia 76ers||December 3, 1976||29||3||7||No||No||[c]|
|10||Williams, GusGus Williams||Seattle SuperSonics||94–83||New Jersey Nets||February 22, 1978||42||31||4||4||No||No|
|10||Jordan, EddieEddie Jordan||New Jersey Nets||98–110||Philadelphia 76ers||March 23, 1979||39||13||1||1||No||No||[d]|
|10||Moore, JohnnyJohnny Moore||San Antonio Spurs||108–102||Indiana Pacers||March 6, 1985||35||16||7||8||No||No|
|10||Lever, Lafayette "Fat"Lafayette "Fat" Lever||Denver Nuggets||126–116||Indiana Pacers||March 9, 1985||31||13||4||15||Yes||No||[e]|
|10||Drexler, ClydeClyde Drexler*||Portland Trail Blazers||89–95||Milwaukee Bucks||January 10, 1986||42||26||9||11||Yes||No|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson||San Antonio Spurs||120–114||Phoenix Suns||February 18, 1986||36||20||11||10||Yes||Yes||[f]|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson (2)||San Antonio Spurs||109–102||Los Angeles Clippers||November 22, 1986||39||30||5||6||No||Yes|
|10||Harper, RonRon Harper||Cleveland Cavaliers||91–100||Philadelphia 76ers||March 10, 1987||44||28||5||7||No||No||[g]|
|10||Jordan, MichaelMichael Jordan*||Chicago Bulls||120–93||New Jersey Nets||January 29, 1988||27||32||1||4||No||Yes||[h]|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson (3)||San Antonio Spurs||117–122||Houston Rockets||January 11, 1989||44||20||5||7||No||No||[i]|
|10||Robertson, AlvinAlvin Robertson (4)||Milwaukee Bucks||114–104||Utah Jazz||November 19, 1990||39||16||3||9||No||Yes|
|10||Johnson, KevinKevin Johnson||Phoenix Suns||114–95||Washington Bullets||December 9, 1993||38||17||3||13||Yes||No|
|10||Drexler, ClydeClyde Drexler* (2)||Houston Rockets||96–85||Sacramento Kings||November 1, 1996||42||25||10||9||Yes||No||[j]|
|10||Blaylock, Daron "Mookie"Daron "Mookie" Blaylock||Atlanta Hawks||95–94||Philadelphia 76ers||April 14, 1998||44||14||8||11||Yes||Yes|
|10||Iverson, AllenAllen Iverson||Philadelphia 76ers||97–85||Orlando Magic||May 13, 1999||43||33||5||5||No||–||[k]|
|10||Finley, MichaelMichael Finley||Dallas Mavericks||98–114||Philadelphia 76ers||January 23, 2001||45||27||6||7||No||No||[l]|
|10||Roy, BrandonBrandon Roy||Portland Trail Blazers||100–87||Washington Wizards||January 24, 2009||39:04||22||5||7||No||No|
|9||Murphy, CalvinCalvin Murphy*||Houston Rockets||106–114||Boston Celtics||December 14, 1973||43||21||2||10||No||No|
|9||Steele, LarryLarry Steele (2)||Portland Trail Blazers||107–102||Los Angeles Lakers||March 5, 1974||40||15||5||10||No||Yes|
|9||Barry, RickRick Barry*||Golden State Warriors||130–101||Buffalo Braves||October 29, 1974||43||30||10||11||Yes||Yes|
|9||Watts, Don "Slick"Don "Slick" Watts||Seattle SuperSonics||100–114||Philadelphia 76ers||February 23, 1975||13||14||No||No||[m]|
|9||Steele, LarryLarry Steele (3)||Portland Trail Blazers||120–98||Phoenix Suns||March 7, 1975||39||12||5||5||No||No|
|9||Steele, LarryLarry Steele (4)||Portland Trail Blazers||114–103||Detroit Pistons||March 14, 1976||40||22||7||8||No||No|
|9||Buckner, QuinnQuinn Buckner||Milwaukee Bucks||109–116||Indiana Pacers||January 2, 1977||33||16||7||7||No||No||[n]|
|9||Watts, Don "Slick"Don "Slick" Watts (2)||Seattle SuperSonics||100–121||Phoenix Suns||March 27, 1977||36||14||3||8||No||No|
|9||Tatum, EarlEarl Tatum||Detroit Pistons||105–103||Los Angeles Lakers||November 28, 1978||33||19||2||2||No||No|
|9||Williams, GusGus Williams (2)||Seattle SuperSonics||103–100||Washington Bullets||January 23, 1979||37||24||7||6||No||No||[o]|
|9||Lee, RonRon Lee||Detroit Pistons||99–102||Houston Rockets||March 16, 1980||42||20||5||6||No||No||[p]|
|9||Bradley, DudleyDudley Bradley||Indiana Pacers||106–108||Utah Jazz||November 10, 1980||39||14||2||6||No||No||[q]|
|9||Bradley, DudleyDudley Bradley (2)||Indiana Pacers||117–101||Cleveland Cavaliers||November 29, 1980||28||11||0||2||No||No||[r]|
|9||Richardson, Micheal RayMicheal Ray Richardson||New York Knicks||114–117||Chicago Bulls||December 23, 1980||44||19||6||6||No||No|
|9||High, JohnnyJohnny High||Phoenix Suns||98–108||Washington Bullets||January 28, 1981||26||11||4||2||No||No|
|9||Johnson, Earvin "Magic"Earvin "Magic" Johnson*||Los Angeles Lakers||99–101||Phoenix Suns||November 6, 1981||40||11||7||16||No||Yes||[s]|
|9||Sikma, JackJack Sikma||Seattle SuperSonics||110–103||Kansas City Kings||January 27, 1982||20||9||No||No|
|9||Green, RickeyRickey Green||Utah Jazz||125–119||Denver Nuggets||November 10, 1982||45||24||5||11||No||No|
|9||Green, RickeyRickey Green (2)||Utah Jazz||113–126||Philadelphia 76ers||November 27, 1982||44||26||7||12||No||No|
|9||Richardson, Micheal RayMicheal Ray Richardson (2)||Golden State Warriors||106–102||San Antonio Spurs||February 5, 1983||42||10||5||11||No||Yes|
|9||Cook, DarwinDarwin Cook||New Jersey Nets||122–128||Portland Trail Blazers||December 3, 1983||44||17||2||6||No||No||[t]|
|9||Williams, GusGus Williams (3)||Washington Bullets||119–104||Atlanta Hawks||October 30, 1984||39||23||5||9||No||No|
|9||Moore, JohnnyJohnny Moore (2)||San Antonio Spurs||139–94||Golden State Warriors||January 8, 1985||36||26||11||13||Yes||No|
|9||Bird, LarryLarry Bird*||Boston Celtics||110–94||Utah Jazz||February 18, 1985||33||30||12||10||Yes||No||[u]|
|9||Richardson, Micheal RayMicheal Ray Richardson (3)||New Jersey Nets||147–138||Indiana Pacers||October 30, 1985||54||38||11||11||Yes||No||[v]|
|9||Cheeks, MauriceMaurice Cheeks||Philadelphia 76ers||108–102||Los Angeles Clippers||January 5, 1987||42||22||3||10||No||No||[w]|
|9||Dunn, T. R.T. R. Dunn||Denver Nuggets||98–93||New Jersey Nets||January 6, 1988||32||2||5||3||No||No||[x]|
|9||Jordan, MichaelMichael Jordan* (2)||Chicago Bulls||110–104||Boston Celtics||November 9, 1988||42||52||3||2||No||No||[y]|
|9||Hawkins, HerseyHersey Hawkins||Philadelphia 76ers||116–94||Boston Celtics||January 25, 1991||41||38||8||6||No||No|
|9||Stockton, JohnJohn Stockton*||Utah Jazz||113–92||Houston Rockets||February 12, 1991||35||19||3||11||No||No|
|9||Adams, MichaelMichael Adams||Washington Bullets||109–103||Indiana Pacers||November 1, 1991||42||23||4||13||No||No|
|9||Rivers, Glenn "Doc"Glenn "Doc" Rivers||Los Angeles Clippers||111–87||Phoenix Suns||November 6, 1991||18||5||1||5||No||No||[z]|
|9||Jordan, MichaelMichael Jordan* (3)||Chicago Bulls||118–105||New Jersey Nets||April 2, 1993||38||40||7||7||No||Yes|
|9||Lever, Lafayette "Fat"Lafayette "Fat" Lever (2)||Dallas Mavericks||87–77||Washington Bullets||February 10, 1994||34||4||7||3||No||No|
|9||Pippen, ScottieScottie Pippen*||Chicago Bulls||116–95||Atlanta Hawks||March 8, 1994||42||39||6||10||No||No|
|9||Murdock, EricEric Murdock||Milwaukee Bucks||96–104||Washington Bullets||April 2, 1994||37||18||5||7||No||No|
|9||Blaylock, Daron "Mookie"Daron "Mookie" Blaylock (2)||Atlanta Hawks||98–127||Houston Rockets||February 17, 1997||34||18||0||5||No||Yes|
|9||Christie, DougDoug Christie||Toronto Raptors||124–122||Denver Nuggets||February 25, 1997||46||27||5||3||No||No||[aa]|
|9||Jones, EddieEddie Jones||Charlotte Hornets||98–89||Indiana Pacers||November 4, 1999||36||22||3||3||No||Yes|
|9||Pierce, PaulPaul Pierce^||Boston Celtics||96–84||Miami Heat||December 3, 1999||38||26||5||4||No||No||[ab]|
|9||Iverson, AllenAllen Iverson (2)||Philadelphia 76ers||89–85||Orlando Magic||March 19, 2000||42||18||3||10||No||No||[ac]|
|9||Miller, AndreAndre Miller^||Cleveland Cavaliers||91–94||Philadelphia 76ers||December 15, 2001||44||14||4||22||No||No||[ad]|
|9||Iverson, AllenAllen Iverson (3)||Philadelphia 76ers||107–104||Los Angeles Lakers||December 20, 2002||48||32||2||5||No||Yes||[ae]|
|9||Nowitzki, DirkDirk Nowitzki^||Dallas Mavericks||98–101||Houston Rockets||March 7, 2004||45||18||1||1||No||No|
|9||Alston, RaferRafer Alston||Houston Rockets||104–83||Charlotte Bobcats||February 10, 2007||41:13||14||1||8||No||No||[af]|
|9||Paul, ChrisChris Paul^||New Orleans Hornets||104–93||Dallas Mavericks||February 20, 2008||40:38||31||5||11||No||Yes||[ag]|
|9||Chalmers, MarioMario Chalmers^||Miami Heat||106–83||Philadelphia 76ers||November 5, 2008||30:32||6||4||6||No||No||[ah]|
|9||Wall, JohnJohn Wall^||Washington Wizards||116–115||Philadelphia 76ers||November 2, 2010||44:48||29||2||13||No||No||[ai]|
|9||Carter-Williams, MichaelMichael Carter-Williams^||Philadelphia 76ers||114–110||Miami Heat||October 30, 2013||36:10||22||7||12||No||No||[aj]|||
- NBA regular season records
- List of NCAA Division I men's basketball players with 11 or more steals in a game
- Kendall Gill had quarterly steals of 0, 5, 3 and 3. He had no steals in the first quarter.
- Jerry West had 6 steals in the first half and 4 steals in the second half.
- Fred Brown had 8 steals in a half, tying the NBA record.
- This was the second game of double header, which itself was only the second double header in NBA history.
- Fat Lever had 8 steals in the third quarter, setting the NBA record. He had 8 steals in the second half, tying the NBA record.
- Alvin Robertson achieved the second quadruple-double in NBA history. It is the only NBA quadruple-double with steals as one of the four statistics in double figures.
- Ron Harper established the rookie single-game record. He had five steals in each half.
- Michael Jordan had 6 steals in the third quarter. He left the game early due to the Bulls' comfortable lead.
- The game went to overtime.
- Clyde Drexler had 8 steals in the second half, tying the NBA record. It was the first game of season.
- Allen Iverson had quarterly steals of 3, 3, 3 and 1.
- Michael Finley had 8 steals in the first half, tying the NBA record. He had 5 steals in the first quarter.
- Slick Watts fouled out of game.
- Quinn Buckner was a rookie. The Bucks combined for 21 steals.
- Gus Williams had 8 steals in the second half, tying the NBA record.
- Ron Lee shot 6–12 from three-point range, tying the NBA record for three-point attempts at the time.
- Dudley Bradley had eight steals in the second half, tying the NBA record. He had six steals in the fourth quarter.
- Dudley Bradley had five steals in the fourth quarter.
- Magic Johnson had five steals in a half and four steals in the other half.
- The game went to overtime. Darwin Cook fouled out.
- Larry Bird did not play in the fourth quarter due to Celtics' 22 point lead.
- Micheal Ray Richardson registered a triple-double, and nearly reached a quadruple-double. The game went to triple overtime.
- Maurice Cheeks had seven steals in a half.
- T. R. Dunn did not start the game. Teammate Fat Lever had eight steals in the same game.
- Michael Jordan had 8 steals in the first half, tying the NBA record.
- Doc Rivers had seven steals in a half.
- The game went to overtime.
- Paul Pierce had six steals in the first quarter and seven steals in the first half.
- Allen Iverson had seven steals in the second half.
- Andre Miller had six steals in the second half.
- The game went to overtime.
- Rager Alston had eight steals in the second half, tying the NBA record.
- Chris Paul had seven steals in the first half.
- Mario Chalmers was a rookie.
- John Wall was a rookie. He had seven steals in the second half. The game went to overtime.
- The game was Michael Carter-Williams's NBA debut, marking the most steals in an NBA debut.
- Associated Press (October 30, 2013). "Michael Carter-Williams, 76ers hold on, stun Dwyane Wade-less Heat". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- Sporting News, The (2005). 2005–06 Official NBA Guide.