List of naval and land-based operations in Pacific Theater during World War II
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of Naval and land based operations in Pacific Theater during WW2)
Main article: List of World War II military operations
- A-Go (1944) — Japanese plan to engage and destroy the U.S. Fleet during the Saipan landings
- AL (1942) — Japanese invasion of the western Aleutians as a diversion from the attempted invasion of Midway Island
- I (1943) — major Japanese air offensive to halt Allied advances on New Guinea and Guadalcanal
- FS (1944) — proposal to isolate Australia by capturing New Caledonia, Samoa and Fiji.
- K-1 (1942) — Japanese reconnaissance and air-raid on Pearl Harbor
- Ka (1942) — Japanese plan to destroy the U.S. Fleet and recapture Guadalcanal
- Ke (1943) — Japanese evacuation of Guadalcanal
- Ketsu-Go (Decisive) (1945) — Japanese plans to counter US led invasion of Japan
- MI (1942) — attempted seizure of Midway Island
- MO (1942) — aborted Japanese invasion of Port Moresby in New Guinea
- RO (1943) — reinforcement of air forces at Rabaul
- Sho-Go (1945) — Japanese naval reaction to US invasion of Leyte
- SR (1942) — seizure of Lae and Salamaua in southeast New Guinea
- TA (1944) — attempt to repulse US bridgehead on Bougainville Island
- Tan No. 2 (1945) — long-range Kamikaze mission on Allied fleet anchorage at Ulithi atoll
- TEN (1945) — air defence plan for Japan
- Ten-Go (1945) — Japanese kikusui attacks and naval sortie to defend Okinawa.
- Z (1941) — the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor
- Baus Au (1942) — plan to hide materiel in the Philippines before the fall for later use in guerilla warfare.
- Cartwheel (1943-1944) — Allied thrusts in the South West Pacific Area, aimed at isolating the major Japanese base at Rabaul.
- Chronicle (1943) — Allied landings at Woodlark Island and Kiriwina, New Guinea in support of Cartwheel.
- Toenails (1943) — Allied landings at New Georgia.
- Postern (1943) — Allied assault on Lae, Papua New Guinea.
- Goodtime (1943) — New Zealand landing at Treasury Islands.
- Blissful (1943) — US landing at Choiseul Island.
- Cherry Blossom (1943) — US landing at Bougainville Island.
- Dexterity (1943-1944) — Allied landings at Arawe, Cape Gloucester and Saidor and the capture of Tuvulu aerodrome.
- Cleanslate (1943) — US landings on the Russell Islands
- Cottage (1943) — US and Canadian operation to recapture Kiska in the Aleutians
- Cyclone (1944) — US airborne landings on Noemfoor, Dutch New Guinea
- Detachment (1945) — US invasion of Iwo Jima
- Downfall (1945) — planned invasion of Japan
- Fall River (1942) — Allied reinforcement and airfield construction at Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea.
- Ferdinand (1942) — coastwatchers on Japanese-occupied islands
- Flintlock (1944) — US assault on Marshall Islands.
- Forager (1944) — US assault on Marianas Islands.
- Galvanic (1943) — US assault on Gilbert Islands.
- Iceberg (1945) — US invasion of Okinawa
- Inmate (1945) — British and New Zealand naval bombardment of Truk
- Juneau (1945) — US minesweeping operations at Okinawa.
- Lentil (1945) — air attack by British Pacific Fleet on Pangkalan Brandan, eastern Sumatra
- Majestic (planned for 1945, not executed) — Planned Allied invasion of the Japanese Home Island of Kyushu. Scrapped in favour of Operation Olympic (under Operation Downfall)
- Meridian (1945) — air attack by British Pacific Fleet on Palembang
- Oboe (1945) — Allied assault on Borneo.
- PM (1945) — removal of defensive minefield off Auckland, New Zealand
- Sandcrab (1943) — US operation to recapture Attu in the Aleutians
- Starvation (1945) — American aerial mining of Japanese ports and waterways.
- Stalemate (1944) — US assault on Peleliu and Palau Islands
- Vengeance (1943) — The assassination of Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
- Watchtower (1942) — U.S. invasion of Guadalcanal