List of North American deserts
||It has been suggested that List of North American Deserts be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2014.|
This list of North American deserts identifies areas of the continent which receive less than 10 in (250 mm) annual precipitation.
- The Chihuahuan Desert – the largest desert in North America, located in the Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico
- The Sonoran Desert – a desert located in the Southwestern United States and Northwest Mexico. It is the second largest desert in North America.
- The Mojave Desert – the hottest desert in North America, located primarily in southeastern California
Canada has a few small "deserts" such as the Nk'mip Desert, which is actually shrub steppe. Another "desert" near Carcross, Yukon is commonly called a desert, but it is not a true desert, rather an area of northern sand dunes.
(Listed from north to south)
- Western Canada
- Carcross Desert, small "desert" in the Yukon, only 2.6 kilometers across. It has cold winters and very hot summers. Too humid to be a true desert.
- Fraser Canyon - the landscape of the Fraser Canyon is severely arid from just south of Lytton upstream as far as the city of Williams Lake.
- Thompson Country - the southern Thompson Country, comprising the immediate banks of the Thompson River between the city of Kamloops and the village of Lytton, has a range of desert-like terrain and climates.
- Nk'mip Desert, small arid area in British Columbia. Claimed to be Canada's only "true" hot desert, but actually shrub steppe and, like other "deserts" in BC, is a northward extension of the Columbia Plateau (ecoregion).
- Washington - Idaho - Wyoming - Oregon
- Much of the Columbia Plateau (ecoregion) is desert, such as the
- Most of the Snake River Plain (ecoregion) is sagebrush steppe, but barren lava fields form small deserts, such as
- The Wyoming Basin (ecoregion) is dominated by arid grasslands and shrub steppe, but also contains the
- Owyhee Desert, in southwestern Idaho, northern Nevada, and southeastern Oregon.
- Yp Desert, a portion of the Owyhee Desert in Idaho
- Alvord Desert, a dry lake in eastern Oregon
- Oregon High Desert, aka "Great Sandy Desert", eastern Oregon
- Great Basin Desert
- Nevada, dominated by sagebrush steppe
- Colorado Plateau
- Mojave Desert
- Sonoran Desert
- Colorado Desert, Southern California (the Low Desert)
- Yuma Desert, southwest Arizona
- Lechuguilla Desert, southwest Arizona
- Tule Desert (Arizona) and Sonora, Mexico
- Gran Desierto de Altar, Sonora, Mexico
- Baja California Desert, State of Baja California, Mexico
- Vizcaíno Desert, central State of Baja California, Mexico
- Chihuahuan Desert
- North American Deserts in List of ecoregions in the United States (EPA)
- North American Deserts in List of ecoregions in North America (CEC)
- List of deserts
- Semi-arid climate
- Deserts of California
- Great American Desert
- Desert of Maine