List of North American ports
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Atlantic
- 3 Gulf of Mexico
- 4 Caribbean
- 5 Great Lakes
- 6 Rivers and inland
- 7 Arctic and northern waters
- 8 Pacific
- 9 Notes and references
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
This list consists primarily of shipping ports of North America, but also includes some that are primarily or significantly devoted to other purposes: cruises, fishing, local delivery, marinas. For major ports ranked by cargo tonnage see: for the US, List of ports in the United States, for Canada see reference, and for world ranking see List of world's busiest ports by cargo tonnage. Similar Canada, US, and Mexico rankings also exist for container volume and value. All are listed in geographic order where possible (marine: coastwise from north to south or east to west; riverine downstream to mouth). Other notes: seasonal, drydock, river mile (in statute miles unless noted) and side of river (facing downstream);  Mississippi Basin; Dubai Ports World controversy.
Gulf of Mexico
|Port of / de||State||Water body||coords.||Website||Features & Notes|
|Puerto Juárez||ROO||Caribbean Sea||apiqroo.com.mx|
|Puerto Barrios||Gulf of Honduras|
|Bridgetown||St. Michael||Carlisle Bay
|Port of Limón||Limón Province||Limón coast||japdeva.go.cr|
Rivers and inland
Arctic and northern waters
|Port of / de||Prov.||Water body||coords.||Website||Features & Notes|
|Tuktoyaktuk||NT||Beaufort Sea||Port Brabant to 1950|
|Port of||Municipality||Water body||coords.||Website||Features & Notes|
|Nuuk Port and Harbour||Sermersooq||Labrador Sea|
|Port of||State||Water body||coords.||Website||Features & Notes|
|Prudhoe Bay||AK||Beaufort Sea|
|Kivilina||AK||Chukchi Sea||US rank:86|
|Nome||AK||Bering Sea||Seward Peninsula|
Notes and references
- Primarily passenger cruise ship traffic;
- Significant fishing industry requiring canneries or other fish processing facilities; may require specialized wharfage.
- A port largely limited to delivery of local supplies; usually served by passenger ferry as well.
- Facilities include or are limited marina services
- Port rankings by tonnage from [AAPA website], accessed 2 Oct 2012
- Marine Transportation, Table 8-17," Canada's Marine Domestic &International Traffic Handled for CPA's and Other Ports, 2003–2004" Transportation in Canada 2005, Transport Canada; domestic and foreign in megatonnes.
- World Port Rankings, 2004 (by tonnage, in MS Excel), American Association of Port Authorities, 1010 Duke St. Alexandria, Va.
- Seasonal, will freeze over during the winter.
- Port with a drydock, see The Times Atlas of the Oceans, edited by Alastair Couper, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. 1983.
- Distance up the Mississippi River from Head of Passes, Louisiana; side of the river as one faces down river, L=left, R=right. 1998 Mississippi River Navigation Charts, Upper Mississippi River Mile 300 to Gulf of Mexico, Mississippi Valley Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Also Index of maps by river mile 1998 Mississippi River Navigation Charts.
- Distance up the Mississippi River from Cairo, Illinois; side of the river as one faces down river, L=left, R=right. St. Paul and Rock Island Districts, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Distance down the Ohio River from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; side of the river as one faces down river, L=left, R=right. Louisville and Huntington Districts, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Distance up the Missouri River from St. Louis, Missouri; side of the river as one faces down river, L=left, R=right. Kansas City District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Distance from the Montreal start of the Saint Lawrence Seaway in nautical miles; for river sides facing down stream L=left, R=right. Seaway Handbook - Complete 2006 Edition. Also Trade Mission Brochure, Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway System.
- Mississippi watershed
- Dubai Ports World controversy.
- "North American Port Container Traffic - 2006" - Port Industry Statistics - American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) - Updated May 14, 2007 - (Adobe Acrobat *.PDF document)