List of Ode to Gallantry characters
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Main character 
- Shi Potian (Chinese: 石破天; Mandarin Pinyin: Shí Pòtiān; Jyutping: Sek6 Po3-tin1) is the protagonist of the novel who is often mistaken for Shi Zhongyu due to the similarity in appearance of the two. Other names that he has used include Gouzazhong (traditional Chinese: 狗雜種; simplified Chinese: 狗杂种; Mandarin Pinyin: Góuzázhǒng; Jyutping: Gau2-zaap6-zung2; literally "dog hybrid"; slang for "bastard"), "Great Dumpling" (Chinese: 大粽子; Mandarin Pinyin: Dàzòngzǐ; Jyutping: Daai6-zung3-zi2) and "Shi Yidao" (traditional Chinese: 史憶刀; simplified Chinese: 史忆刀; Mandarin Pinyin: Shǐ Yìdāo; Jyutping: Si2 Jik1-dou1).
Xuansu Manor (玄素莊) 
- Shi Zhongyu (Chinese: 石中玉; Mandarin Pinyin: Shí Zhōngyù; Jyutping: Sek6 Zung1-juk6)
- Shi Qing (Chinese: 石清; Mandarin Pinyin: Shí Qīng; Jyutping: Sek6 Cing1)
- Min Rou (traditional Chinese: 閔柔; simplified Chinese: 闵柔; Mandarin Pinyin: Mǐn Róu; Jyutping: Man5 Jau4)
Snowy Mountain Sect (雪山派) 
Second generation students 
- Bai Zizai (Chinese: 白自在; Mandarin Pinyin: Bái Zìzài; Jyutping: Baak6 Zi6-zoi6) is the leader of the Snowy Mountain Sect. He suffers from depression after his wife left him. He becomes extremely proud and arrogant, believing that his martial arts are the best in the world, until he is eventually defeated by Shi Potian. He attends the Laba Feast on Heroes' Island with the intention of upholding the reputation of his sect.
- Cheng Zixue (traditional Chinese: 成自學; simplified Chinese: 成自学; Mandarin Pinyin: Chéng Zìxué; Jyutping: Sing4 Zi6-hok6)
- Qi Zimian (traditional Chinese: 齊自勉; simplified Chinese: 齐自勉; Mandarin Pinyin: Qí Zìmiǎn; Jyutping: Cai4 Zi6-min5)
- Liao Zili (traditional Chinese: 廖自勵; simplified Chinese: 廖自励; Mandarin Pinyin: Liào Zìlì; Jyutping: Liu6 Zi6-lai6)
- Liang Zijin (traditional Chinese: 梁子進; simplified Chinese: 梁子进; Mandarin Pinyin: Liáng Zǐjìn; Jyutping: Loeng4 Zi2-zeon3)
Third generation students 
- Feng Wanli (traditional Chinese: 封萬里; simplified Chinese: 封万里; Mandarin Pinyin: Fēng Wànlǐ; Jyutping: Fung1 Maan6-lei5) is the eldest student of Bai Zizai and the teacher of Shi Zhongyu.
- Bai Wanjian (traditional Chinese: 白萬劍; simplified Chinese: 白万剑; Mandarin Pinyin: Bái Wànjiàn; Jyutping: Baak6 Maan6-gim3) is Bai Zizai and Shi Xiaocui's son. He is Bai A'xiu's father.
- Geng Wanzhong (traditional Chinese: 耿萬鍾; simplified Chinese: 耿万钟; Mandarin Pinyin: Gěng Wànzhōng; Jyutping: Gang2 Maan6-zung1)
- Wang Wanren (traditional Chinese: 王萬仞; simplified Chinese: 王万仞; Mandarin Pinyin: Wáng Wànrèn; Jyutping: Wong4 Maan6-jan6)
- Ke Wanjun (traditional Chinese: 柯萬鈞; simplified Chinese: 柯万钧; Mandarin Pinyin: Kē Wànjūn; Jyutping: O1 Maan6-gwan1)
- Huyan Wanshan (traditional Chinese: 呼延萬善; simplified Chinese: 呼延万善; Mandarin Pinyin: Hūyán Wànshàn; Jyutping: Fu1-jin4 Maan6-sin6)
- Bao Wanye (traditional Chinese: 包萬葉; simplified Chinese: 包万叶; Mandarin Pinyin: Bāo Wànyè; Jyutping: Baau1 Maan6-jip6)
- Wang Wanyi (traditional Chinese: 汪萬翼; simplified Chinese: 汪万翼; Mandarin Pinyin: Wāng Wànyì; Jyutping: Wong1 Maan6-jik6)
- Hua Wanzi (traditional Chinese: 花萬紫; simplified Chinese: 花万紫; Mandarin Pinyin: Huā Wànzǐ; Jyutping: Faa1 Maan6-zi2) is the youngest student of Bai Zizai.
Golden Crow Sect (金烏派) 
- Shi Xiaocui (Chinese: 史小翠; Mandarin Pinyin: Shí Xiǎocuì; Jyutping: Si2 Siu2-ceoi3), also called Granny Shi (Chinese: 史婆婆; Mandarin Pinyin: Shǐ Pópó; Jyutping: Si2 Po4-po4), is Bai Zizai's wife and Bai Wanjian's mother. She becomes Shi Potian's martial arts teacher. Earlier on, she left the Snowy Mountain Sect after a disagreement with her husband and she founded the Golden Crow Sect.
- Bai A'xiu (traditional Chinese: 白阿繡; simplified Chinese: 白阿绣; Mandarin Pinyin: Bái Ā'xìu; Jyutping: Baak6 Aa3-sau3) is Bai Wanjian's daughter. She attempts suicide by jumping down a cliff after being allegedly raped by Shi Zhongyu, but is later saved by Shi Xiaocui. She meets Shi Potian by chance and falls in love with him.
Changle Sect (長樂幫) 
- Situ Heng (traditional Chinese: 司徒橫; simplified Chinese: 司徒横; Mandarin Pinyin: Sītú Héng; Jyutping: Si1-tou4 Waang4) is the former leader of the sect and Shi Zhongyu's predecessor. He leaves the sect after refusing to accept the expected invitation from Heroes' Island and engaging in an argument with Shi Zhongyu.
- Bei Haishi (traditional Chinese: 貝海石; simplified Chinese: 贝海石; Mandarin Pinyin: Bèi Hǎishí; Jyutping: Bui3 Hoi2-sek6) is the deputy leader of the sect. He makes Shi Zhongyu join the sect and become its puppet leader. He is the mastermind behind the mix-up between Shi Potian and Shi Zhongyu; he made marks on Shi Potian to make him replace Shi Zhongyu as the leader of the Changle Sect in an attempt to escape from being its leader and receive the invitation from Heroes' Island.
- Chen Chongzhi (traditional Chinese: 陳沖之; simplified Chinese: 陈冲之; Mandarin Pinyin: Chén Chōngzhī; Jyutping: Can4 Cung1-zi1)
- Mi Hengye (traditional Chinese: 米橫野; simplified Chinese: 米横野; Mandarin Pinyin: Mǐ Héngyě; Jyutping: Mai5 Waang4-je5)
- Zhan Fei (traditional Chinese: 展飛; simplified Chinese: 展飞; Mandarin Pinyin: Zhǎn Fēi; Jyutping: Zin2 Fei1)
- Shijian (traditional Chinese: 侍劍; simplified Chinese: 侍剑; Mandarin Pinyin: Shìjiàn; Jyutping: Si6-gim3) is Shi Zhongyu's servant.
Ding family and associates 
- Ding Dang (traditional Chinese: 丁璫; simplified Chinese: 丁珰; Mandarin Pinyin: Dīng Dāng; Jyutping: Ding1 Dong1) is Shi Zhongyu's lover.
- Ding Busan (Chinese: 丁不三; Mandarin Pinyin: Dīng Bùsān; Jyutping: Ding1 Bat1-saam1) is Ding Dang's grandfather.
- Ding Busi (Chinese: 丁不四; Mandarin Pinyin: Dīng Bùsì; Jyutping: Ding1 Bat1-sei3) is Ding Busan's younger brother.
- Mei Wenxin (Chinese: 梅文馨; Mandarin Pinyin: Méi Wénxīn; Jyutping: Mui4 Man4-hing1)
- Mei Fanggu (Chinese: 梅芳姑; Mandarin Pinyin: Méi Fānggū; Jyutping: Mui4 Fong1-gu1) is the illegitimate daughter of Ding Busi and Mei Wenxin. She is the stepmother of Shi Potian and treats him badly, but her true identity is not revealed until the end of the novel.
Heroes' Island (俠客島) 
- Zhang San (traditional Chinese: 張三; simplified Chinese: 张三; Mandarin Pinyin: Zhāng Sān; Jyutping: Zoeng1 Saam1) and Li Si (Chinese: 李四; Mandarin Pinyin: Lǐ Sì; Jyutping: Lei5 Sei3) are the sworn brothers of Shi Potian. They are the students of the Island Lords and the "Good and Evil messengers" (善惡二史) from Heroes' Island. They are feared for their ruthlessness throughout the jianghu. They meet Shi Potian by chance and forge a friendship with him.
- Island Lord Long (traditional Chinese: 龍島主; simplified Chinese: 龙岛主; Mandarin Pinyin: Lóng Dáozhǔ; Jyutping: Lung4 Dou2-zyu2) and Island Lord Mu (traditional Chinese: 木島主; simplified Chinese: 木岛主; Mandarin Pinyin: Mù Dáozhǔ; Jyutping: Muk6 Dou2-zyu2) are the lords of Heroes' Island and masters of Zhang San and Li Si. They die soon upon finding out the truth behind the carvings on the caves on the island from Shi Potian.
Four major sect leaders of Guandong 
- Fan Yifei (traditional Chinese: 范一飛; simplified Chinese: 范一飞; Mandarin Pinyin: Fàn Yīfēi; Jyutping: Faan6 Jat1-fei1)
- Gao Sanniangzi (Chinese: 高三娘子; Mandarin Pinyin: Gāo Sānniángzǐ; Jyutping: Gou1 Saam1-noeng4-zi2)
- Lü Zhengping (traditional Chinese: 呂正平; simplified Chinese: 吕正平; Mandarin Pinyin: Lǚ Zhèngpíng; Jyutping: Leoi5 Zing3-ping4)
- Feng Liang (traditional Chinese: 風良; simplified Chinese: 风良; Mandarin Pinyin: Fēng Liáng; Jyutping: Fung1 Loeng4)
Shangqing Monastery (上清觀) 
- Tianxu (traditional Chinese: 天虛; simplified Chinese: 天虚; Mandarin Pinyin: Tiānxū; Jyutping: Tin1-heoi1)
- Chongxu (traditional Chinese: 沖虛; simplified Chinese: 冲虚; Mandarin Pinyin: Chōngxū; Jyutping: Cung1-heoi1) is the ill-tempered junior of Tianxu. He engages Shi Potian in a duel after Shi unintentionally insulted him.
- Lingxu (traditional Chinese: 靈虛; simplified Chinese: 灵虚; Mandarin Pinyin: Língxū; Jyutping: Ling4-heoi1)
- Zhaoxu (traditional Chinese: 照虛; simplified Chinese: 照虚; Mandarin Pinyin: Zhàoxū; Jyutping: Ziu3-heoi1)
- Tongxu (traditional Chinese: 通虛; simplified Chinese: 通虚; Mandarin Pinyin: Tōngxū; Jyutping: Tung1-heoi1)
Miscellaneous characters 
- Xie Yanke (traditional Chinese: 謝煙客; simplified Chinese: 谢烟客; Mandarin Pinyin: Xiè Yānkè; Jyutping: Ze6 Jin1-haak3) is a martial artist living on Sky-scraping Cliff (摩天涯). He is the owner of the Black Iron Tablets (玄鐵令). He holds the young Gouzazhong in captive, takes him to the cliff and teaches him qi-cultivation techniques in the wrong order in an attempt to kill him, but fails.
- Wu Daotong (traditional Chinese: 吳道通; simplified Chinese: 吴道通; Mandarin Pinyin: Wú Dàotōng; Jyutping: Ng4 Dou3-tung1)
- Elder Dabei (Chinese: 大悲老人; Mandarin Pinyin: Dàbēi Lǎorén; Jyutping: Daai6-bei1 Lou5-jan4) is the lord of the White Whale Island (白鯨島). He is killed by members of the Changle Sect, but manages to pass 18 wooden dolls to Shi Potian before his death.
- Cheng Dayang (Chinese: 成大洋; Mandarin Pinyin: Chéng Dàyáng; Jyutping: Sing4 Daai6-joeng4) is the leader of the Flying Fish Sect (飛魚幫). He is killed by Zhang San and Li Si after refusing to join the Laba Feast on Heroes' Island.
- An Fengtian (Chinese: 安奉田; Mandarin Pinyin: Ān Fèngtián; Jyutping: On1 Fung6-tin4), Feng Zhenwu (traditional Chinese: 馮振武; simplified Chinese: 冯振武; Mandarin Pinyin: Féng Zhènwǔ; Jyutping: Fung4 Zan3-mou5) and Taoist Yuancheng (Chinese: 元澄道人; Mandarin Pinyin: Yuánchéng Dàorén; Jyutping: Jyun4-cing4 Dou3-jan4) are the chiefs of the Golden Sabre Stronghold (金刀寨).
- Zhou Mu (Chinese: 周牧; Mandarin Pinyin: Zhōu Mù; Jyutping: Zau1 Muk6) is a subordinate of An Fengtian who is responsible for the murder of Wu Daotong.