This article contains a list of text editors with features specific to the PHP scripting language.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)
Free editors 
- Aptana Studio – Eclipse-based IDE, able to use PDT plugins, visual JS editor. Open-source, free project. (Community edition merged in).
- Bluefish – A multipurpose editor with PHP syntax support, in-line PHP documentation, etc. With GVFS, supports SFTP, FTP, WebDAV, and SMB.
- Eclipse – PHPEclipse and PHP Development Tools projects. With additional plugins supports SVN, CVS, database modelling, SSH/FTP access, database navigation, Trac integration, and others.
- Editra – Versatile open source editor. Syntax highlighting and (partial) code completion for PHP + HTML and other IDE-like features like code browser etc.
- Emacs – Advanced text editor. The nXhtml addon has special support for PHP (and other template languages). The major mode web-mode.el is designed for editing mixed HTML templates.
- Geany – Syntax highlighting for HTML + PHP. Provides PHP function list.
- jEdit – Versatile free/open source editor. Supports SFTP and FTP.
- Komodo Edit – General purpose scripting language editor with support for PHP. Free version of the commercial ActiveState Komodo IDE.
- Netbeans – A dedicated PHP coding environment and complete integration with web standards. Supports SFTP and FTP. SVN support can be added using plugins.
- SciTE – fast, PHP syntax highlighting, compiler integration, powerful config via Lua API.
- Sublime Text – fast, lot of features.
- Vim – provides PHP syntax highlighting, debugging.
- Kantharos PHP IDE – Fast & handy freeware editor. provides built in debugger and class explorer.
- Alleycode HTML Editor – Shareware editor with syntax highlighting for both PHP and HTML.
- ConTEXT – *No longer under development* Freeware editor with syntax highlighting.
- Crimson Editor – Lightweight editor. Supports FTP.
- HTML-Kit – Syntax highlighting, supports FTP.
- Notepad2 – Simple editor with syntax highlighting
- Notepad++ – Supports FTP & SFTP via plugin; syntax highlighting.
- NoteTab – Broad editor, allows you to have multiple tabs open for different files, has FTP support, comes in two trial versions (NoteTab Standard, NoteTab Pro) and one free version NoteTab Light. NoteTab Pro highlights tags.
- Programmer's Notepad
- PSPad – Supports FTP; syntax highlighting.
- RJ TextEd – Feature rich text editor with many great features
- Sublime Text – Free for evaluation IDE.
Mac OS X 
Commercial editors 
- ActiveState Komodo IDE – Support for PHP syntax checking, debugging, trial available
- Adobe Dreamweaver – Supports SFTP and FTP; Trial available
- BBEdit – Supports SFTP and FTP; Trial available
- Coda – Supports SFTP and FTP; Trial available
- CodeCharge Studio – Supports FTP
- EditPlus – Supports SFTP and FTP; Trial available
- Microsoft Expression Web – Full PHP support with syntax highlighting, etc.; Trial available
- NuSphere PhpED – A PHP development environment and integration with modern web standards. Supports SFTP, WebDAV, and FTP. Native support for CVS source control system, SVN and Git support can be added using Tortoise Windows Shell plugins.
- PHPEdit – Supports SFTP and FTP
- phpDesigner – supports FTP
- JetBrains PhpStorm – (Cross platform) professional PHP IDE with advanced editor, on-the-fly code analysis and other web development specific tools including FTP/SFTP synchronization; Trial available
- Embarcadero RadPHP (formerly Delphi for PHP) – Focus on web (Facebook, Google) and mobile (iOS, Android) development; Trial available
- Sublime Text – Commercial multi-language text editor with syntax highlighting. Unlimited trial available.
- TextPad – Trial available
- Top PHP Studio – Supports FTP
- UltraEdit – Supports SFTP and FTP; Trial available
- Zend Studio – Supports SFTP and FTP (Eclipse with Zend's commercial plug-in)
- VS.PHP – based on Visual Studio IDE, supports Intellisense for PHP, remote and local debugging. Local debugging is performed using IDE embedded web server with PHP extensions.
External links