List of Presidents of Somaliland
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
See also: Politics of Somalia
This is a list of Presidents of Somaliland, a self-declared republic that is internationally recognized as an autonomous region of Somalia. The government of Somaliland regards itself as the successor state to British Somaliland, which was independent for a few days in 1960 as the State of Somaliland. The President of Somaliland is an executive head of state, also functioning as the head of government. There is no Prime Minister.
Presidents of Somaliland (1991-Present)
(Dates in italics indicate de facto continuation of office)
|28 May 1991 to 16 May 1993||Abdirahman Ahmed Ali Tuur, President||SNM|
|16 May 1993 to 3 May 2002||Muhammad Haji Ibrahim Egal, President||SNM/UDUB||Died in office|
|3 May 2002 to 27 July 2010||Dahir Riyale Kahin, President||UDUB|
|27 July 2010 to Present||Ahmed Mahamoud Silanyo, President||KULMIYE|
- Somali National Movement (SNM)
- United Peoples' Democratic Party (UDUB)
- Peace, Unity, and Development Party (KULMIYE)
|Ahmed Mahamoud Silanyo||Abdirahman Saylici||KULMIYE||266,906||49.59|
|Dahir Riyale Kahin||Ahmed Yusuf Yasin||UDUB||178,881||33.23|
|Faysal Cali Warabe||Mohammad Rashid||UCID||92,459||17.18|
|Invalid votes||not reported|
|Electorate and turnout||1,069,914||50.31|
|Source: Somalilandpress Somaliland National Electoral Commission (PDF)|
- "The Transitional Federal Charter of the Somali Republic". University of Pretoria. 2004-02-01. Retrieved 2010-02-02. "The Somali Republic shall have the following boundaries. (a) North; Gulf of Aden. (b) North West; Djibouti. (c) West; Ethiopia. (d) South south-west; Kenya. (e) East; Indian Ocean."
- Gettleman, Jeffrey (2009-06-02). "No Winner Seen in Somalia's Battle With Chaos". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-02-02.
- "Somaliland Marks Independence After 73 Years of British Rule" (fee required). The New York Times. 1960-06-26. p. 6. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "How Britain said farewell to its Empire". BBC News. 23 July 2010.