List of protected areas of India
|Part of a series on the|
|Wildlife of India|
This is a list of protected areas of India.
National parks in India are IUCN category II protected areas. India's first national park was established in 1936 as Hailey National Park, now known as Jim Corbett National Park. By 1970, India only had five national parks. In 1972, India enacted the Wildlife Protection Act and Project Tiger to safeguard the habitats of conservation reliant species.
There are over 440 wildlife sanctuaries (IUCN Category IV Protected Areas) in India. They are listed in the main article.
There are 46 tiger reserves in India (2014-8-31) which are governed by Project Tiger which is administered by the National Tiger Conservation Authority. There were an additional six proposed and four approved in principle reserves that are not yet declared.
The Indian government has established 18 Biosphere Reserves of India, (categories roughly corresponding to IUCN Category V Protected areas), which protect larger areas of natural habitat (than a National Park or Animal Sanctuary), and often include one or more National Parks and/or preserves, along buffer zones that are open to some economic uses. Protection is granted not only to the flora and fauna of the protected region, but also to the human communities who inhabit these regions, and their ways of life.
The Indian Government has established "Reserve Forests" to protected patches of forests which are either the buffer zones of National Parks or Wildlife Sanctuaries or standalone small patches of forests among the civilization.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
|1||Andaman & Nicobar Islands||Andaman & Nicobar Islands|
|2||Gulf of Mannar||Tamil Nadu|
|3||Gulf of Kutch||Gujarat|
|4||Lakshadweep Islands||Lakshadweep Islands|
|1||Gulf of Khambat||Gujarat|
|2||Gulf of Kutchh||Gujarat|
|14||Dakshin Kannada / Honnavar||Karnataka|
|26||East Godavari||Andhra Pradesh|
|33||North Andamans||Andaman & Nicobar Islands|
|34||Nicobar||Andaman & Nicobar Islands|
- Protected areas of Himachal Pradesh
- Protected areas of Kerala
- Protected areas of Tamil Nadu
- Protected areas of West Bengal
- An updated source of the PA list is the National Wildlife Database Cell, WILDLIFE INSTITUTE OF INDIA DEHRADUN, (position as on 23 April 2007), retrieved 7/25/2007 LIST OF PROTECTED AREAS.
- Ministry of Forests – List of protected areas in India
- SPECIES CHECKLIST: Species Diversity in India; ENVIS Centre: Wildlife & Protected Areas (Secondary Database); Wildlife Institute of India (WII)
- ENVIS Centre: Wildlife & Protected Areas (Secondary Database); Wildlife Institute of India (WII)