List of Roman hoards in Great Britain
The list of Roman hoards in Britain comprises significant archaeological hoards of coins, jewellery, precious and scrap metal objects and other valuable items discovered in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) that are associated with period of Romano-British culture when Britain was under the control of the Roman Empire, from AD 43 until about 410, as well as the subsequent Sub-Roman period up to the establishment of Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. It includes both hoards that were buried with the intention of retrieval at a later date (personal hoards, founder's hoards, merchant's hoards, and hoards of loot), and also hoards of votive offerings which were not intended to be recovered at a later date, but excludes grave goods and single items found in isolation.
Most Roman hoards are composed largely or entirely of coins, and are relatively common in Britain, with over 1,200 known examples. A smaller number of hoards, such as the Mildenhall Treasure and the Hoxne Hoard, include items of silver or gold tableware such as dishes, bowls, jugs and spoons, or items of silver or gold jewellery.
List of hoards
|Hoard||Image||Date||Place of discovery||Year of discovery||Current Location||Contents|
|Agden Hoard||late 3rd century||Woolstencroft Farm, Agden
|1957||Grosvenor Museum, Chester||~2,500 antoniniani and the lower half of jar|
|Aldbury Hoard||late 3rd century||near Aldbury
|1870||116 brass coins
fragments of brass plate
half a brass ring
silver wire ring
|Alton Barnes Hoard||late 3rd century||Alton Barnes
|2005||Wiltshire Heritage Museum, Devizes||3,854 silver and bronze Roman coins|
|Backworth Hoard||late 2nd century||Backworth
Tyne and Wear
|1811||British Museum||silver skillet covered by silver mirror
5 gold rings
1 silver serpent ring
2 gold chains with wheel and crescent pendants
2 silver-gilt brooches
1 gold bracelet
3 silver spoons
2 brass coins
1 silver dish
|Baldock Hoard||3rd to 4th century||near Baldock
|2002||British Museum, London||26 gold and silver objects including gold jewellery, 7 gold votive plaques, 12 silver votive plaques, two silver model arms, and a silver figurine|
|Barkway Hoard||early 3rd century||near Barkway
|1743||British Museum, London||5 silver and bronze objects, including one silver-gilt votive plaque dedicated to Mars, and two silver votive plaques dedicated to Vulcan|
|Beau Street Hoard||second half of 3rd century||Bath
|2008||30,000 silver Roman coins|
|Beckfoot Hoard||unknown||Beckfoot, near Silloth
|2010||308 Roman coins in a pot|
|Beech Bottom Dyke Hoard||early 2nd century||Beech Bottom Dyke, St Albans
|1932||dispersed||about 100 silver denarii|
|Bishopswood Hoard||mid-4th century||Bishopswood, near Walford, Ross-on-Wye
|1895||Hereford Museum and Art Gallery||17,548 coins|
|Boothstown Hoard||late 3rd century||Boothstown
|1947||British Museum, London
|550 bronze coins dated between 259 and 278 AD found in two pottery urns|
|Braithwell Hoard||late 3rd century||Braithwell
|2002||British Museum (4)
Doncaster Museum (1)
|1,331 base silver radiates
1 base metal denarius
13 sherds of greyware jar
|Breamore hoards||late 3rd century||Breamore
|1998 (B)||returned to finder (B)||Hoard A: 1,782 base silver radiates
Hoard B:398 base silver radiates and pot
|Bredon Hill Hoard||mid-4th century||Bredon Hill
|2011||Worcestershire County Museum, Hartlebury||3,784 debased silver coins in a clay pot|
|Canterbury Treasure||early 5th century||Canterbury
|1962||Roman Museum, Canterbury||Silver spoons, ingots, a tooth pick and jewellery|
|Capheaton Treasure||2nd or 3rd century||Capheaton
|1747||British Museum, London||5 silver vessel handles, and 1 fragment of a silver trulla base|
|Chaddesley Corbett Hoard||early 4th century||Chaddesley Corbett
|1999 and 2003||Worcs County Museum, Hartlebury Castle||434 base silver nummi
38 sherds of pottery
|Chalgrove hoards||late 3rd century||Chalgrove
|Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (2003)||I: 4,145 coins (
II: 4,957 base silver coins
|Chells Manor Hoard||late 3rd century||Chells Manor Estate, Stevenage
|Chorleywood Hoard||mid-4th century||Chorleywood
|1977||British Museum (244)
Verulamium Museum, St Albans (446)
|Clapton Hoard||late 3rd century||Clapton in Gordano||1922-1924||Museum of Somerset (59) and Nicholson Museum, Australia (over 3400)||3500 Roman bronze coins, (mainly Gallienus to Claudius II)|
|Corbridge Hoard (1964)||mid-2nd century||Corbridge
|1964||Corbridge Roman Site Museum
Great North Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne
|various finished and unfinished iron products, including pieces of armour, a sword scabbard, javelinheads, spearheads, arrowheads, artillery bolts, and various knives, nails, spikes and cramps|
|Corbridge Treasure||4th century||Corbridge
|1731–1760||British Museum, London||5 pieces of silverware, including a lanx (serving platter), a bowl and a vase|
|Cunetio Hoard||late 3rd century||Cunetio Roman town, Mildenhall
|Curridge Hoard||early 3rd century||Curridge
|1998–1999||West Berkshire Heritage||425 bronze sestertius or dupondii/asses|
|Didcot Hoard||late 2nd century||Didcot
|1995||British Museum, London||126 gold coins|
|Edge Hill Hoard (also known as the South Warwickshire Roman Hoard)||mid-1st century||Edge Hill
|2008||Warwickshire Museum, Market Hall, Warwick||1,146 silver denarii in a small pot, coins dating between 190 BC and AD 63–64|
|Ethy Hoard||late 3rd century||Ethy, near Lerryn
|2000||Royal Cornwall Museum||1,095 base silver radiates
|Eye Hoard||late 4th century||Near Eye, Suffolk
|1781||Largest number (600) of Roman gold coins|
|Frampton Hoard||late 3rd century||Frampton
|1998||returned to finder||511 base silver radiates and pot|
|Frome Hoard||early 4th century||Near Frome
|2010||Museum of Somerset, Taunton||52,503 coins (5 silver, the rest debased silver and bronze)|
|Grassmoor Hoard||4th century||Grassmoor
|2001||Chesterfield Museum and British Museum||1,421 silver coins|
|Hickleton Hoard||late 2nd century||Hickleton
|2001||Doncaster Museum||350 silver coins
36 copper-alloy coins
|High Green Hoard||late 3rd century||High Green
|2001||738 base silver radiates|
|High Weald Hoard||3rd century||30 miles north of Brighton
|2006||Brighton Museum & Art Gallery||nearly 3,000 silver coins|
|Hockwold Hoard (1962)||late 1st century||Hockwold cum Wilton
|1962||British Museum, London||4 silver cups
4 silver handles
1 silver pedestal
|Hockwold Hoard (1999)||mid-4th century||Hockwold cum Wilton
|1999||British Museum||816 copper alloy coins|
|Howe Hoard||late 1st century||Howe
|1981–2002||British Museum||15 gold aurei
131 silver denarii
|Hoxne Hoard||early 5th century||Hoxne
|1992||British Museum, London||14,865 coins (569 gold, 14,272 silver, 24 bronze)
29 items of gold jewellery
98 silver spoons and ladles
1 silver tigress
4 silver bowls
1 small dish
1 silver beaker
1 silver vase or juglet
4 pepper pots
|Hyderabad and Meeanee Barracks Hoard||late 3rd century||Hyderabad and Meeanee Barracks, Colchester
|2011||Colchester Museum (to be donated to)||two pots, one empty and one containing 1,247 coins|
|Itteringham Hoard||late 2nd century||Itteringham
|2000||British Museum||3 silver finger rings
2 copper-alloy cosmetic sets
1 bronze key
62 silver denarii
42 copper-alloy coins
|Kingston Deverill Hoard||late 1st century||Kingston Deverill
|2005||Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum||3 bronze trullei or patera (shallow handled bowls)
2 bronze wine strainers
|Kirton in Lindsey hoards||late 3rd century||Kirton in Lindsey
2001, 2004 (2)
|6 coins at British Museum||Hoard 1: 875 base silver radiates
Hoard 2: 111 base silver radiates (2001); 85 base silver radiates (2004)
|Langley with Hardley Hoard||late 3rd century||Langley with Hardley
|1997, 1999, 2001, 2004||returned to finder||2,044 base silver radiates|
|Langtoft hoards||early 4th century||Langtoft
|Hoard A: 976 base silver coins and 21 sherds of a jar
Hoard B: 924 base silver nummi and 9 sherds of a pot
|Lightwood Hoard||late 3rd century||Lightwood Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
|1960||Potteries Museum & Art Gallery, Stoke-on-Trent||2,461 coins and two silver bracelets in an earthenware pot|
|Little Brickhill hoards (1962–1964)||4th century||Little Brickhill, Milton Keynes (borough)
|1962–1964||Bletchley Archaeological Society||1962
251 loose coins
~400 corroded mass of coins
4th-century pottery and sherds
13th-century jug (part)
11th to 12th-century sherds
2nd-century Samian ware fragments
glass and jet beads
|Little Brickhill hoards (1967 & 1987)||late 2nd century||Little Brickhill, Milton Keynes (borough)
Buckinghamshire County Museum
296 silver denarii
bronze brooch and terret ring
3rd- to 4th-century sherds
627 silver denarii
|Little Orme Hoard (1981)||late 3rd or early 4th century||Little Orme, near Llandudno
|1981||National Museum Cardiff||5 ox-head bucket-mounts
1 razor handle
1 knife or chisel handle
1 harness ring
|Llanvaches Hoard||mid-2nd century||Llanvaches
|2006||National Roman Legion Museum, Caerleon||599 silver denarii|
|M1 Motorway Hoard||late 3rd century||M1 motorway
Leicestershire (see note)
|1980 (see note)||207 silver denarii
228 base-silver radiates
2 grey ware pottery fragments[note 1]
|Maundown Hoard||late 3rd century||Maundown, near Wiveliscombe
|2006||Museum of Somerset, Taunton||2,118 bronze coins|
|Mildenhall Treasure||mid-4th century||Mildenhall
|1942||British Museum, London||34 items of silver tableware|
|Monknash Hoard||mid-2nd century||Monknash
|2000||National Museum Wales||103 silver denarii
grey ware pot
|Nether Compton Hoard||mid-4th century||Nether Compton
|Newport Pagnell Hoard||mid-4th century||near Newport Pagnell
|2006||over 1,400 bronze coins
|Osgodby Hoard||2nd century||Osgodby
|1999||British Museum||44 silver denarii
coarseware pottery vessel
|Patching Hoard||mid-5th century||Patching
|1997||Worthing Museum and Art Gallery||13 Roman and 10 Visigothic gold solidi
21 Roman, 3 Visigothic, and 3 unidentified silver coins
2 gold rings
54 pieces of scrap silver, including a scabbard fitting
|Pot Shaft Hoard||4th century||Alderley Edge
|1995||Manchester Museum||564 Roman coins dating from AD 317–336, mainly Constantine and house of Constantine pieces|
|Prestwood hoards||early 3rd to early 4th century||Prestwood
|1999 and 2005||Buckinghamshire County Museum||Hoard A: 112 silver denarii and 1 radiate
Hoard B: 735 base silver nummi and pot fragment
|Rhayader Treasure||2nd to 3rd century||Rhayader
|1899||British Museum, London||1 gold ring with onyx stone; 11 pieces of gold necklet with 8 stones, 1 piece of scroll and a small embossed section; 4 pieces of gold armlet|
|Ribchester Hoard||late 1st to early 2nd century||Ribchester
|1796||British Museum, London||Bronze cavalry helmet, a number of patera, pieces of a vase, a bust of Minerva, fragments of two basins, and several plates.|
|Rogiet Hoard||late 3rd century||Rogiet
|1998||National Museum of Wales, Cardiff||3,778 silver coins|
|Seaton Down Hoard||early 4th century||Seaton Down
|2013||22,000 copper alloy coins|
|Shapwick hoards (1936–1938)||early 4th to mid-5th century||Shapwick
|1936–1938||Museum of Somerset, Taunton
|pewter cup, saucer, platter, jug, canister, bowl with pedestal
245 silver siliquae
1,170 bronze coins
bronze cased wooden stave tankard
|Shapwick Hoard (1978)||4th century||Shapwick
|1978||over 1,000 copper coins
|Shapwick Hoard (1998)||mid-3rd century||Shapwick
|1998||Somerset County Museum, Taunton||9,262 coins|
|Shillington Hoard||late 1st century||Shillington
|1998–1999||Wardown Park Museum, Luton||Hoard A: 127 gold aurei
Hoard B: 18 silver denarii
|Shiptonthorpe Hoard||early 4th century||Shiptonthorpe
|2000||Hull and East Riding Museum||503 base silver coins
|Shoreham Hoard||late 3rd century||Shoreham-by-Sea
|1999||4,105 base silver denarii and radiates
|Shrewsbury Hoard||mid-4th century||near Shrewsbury
|2009||9,315 bronze coins|
|Silchester Hoard (1893)||late 2nd century||Silchester
|1893||British Museum, London||253 silver coins|
|Silchester Hoard (1985–1987)||early 5th century||Silchester
|1985–1987||Reading Museum||about 39 silver and bronze coins
3 gold rings
|Snettisham Jeweller's Hoard||mid-2nd century||Snettisham
|1985||British Museum, London||83 silver coins, 27 bronze coins, and quantities of gems, jewellery and scrap metal|
|Snodland Hoard||mid-4th century||Snodland
|2006||more than 3,600 bronze coins|
|St Albans Hoard||late 4th century||St Albans
|2012||Verulamium Museum||159 gold solidi|
|Stanchester Hoard||early 5th century||Wilcot, Vale of Pewsey
|2000||Wiltshire Heritage Museum, Devizes||1,166 coins (3 gold, 1,162 silver, 1 bronze)|
|Stogursey Hoard (1999)||late 3rd century||Stogursey
|1999 and 2002||3 coins at British Museum
some others at Somerset
|1,097 base silver radiates
pottery vessel remains[note 2]
50 copper alloy coins
|Stoke-on-Trent Hoard A||late 2nd century||Stoke-on-Trent
|2012||Potteries Museum & Art Gallery, Hanley||258 silver denarii dating between 31 BC and AD 176|
|Stony Stratford Hoard||3rd century||Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes
|1789||British Museum||2 chain headresses, 3 fibulae, various fragments of silver plaques with figures of, or inscriptions to, Roman gods, in an urn|
|Sully Hoard (1899)||late 3rd century||Sully, Vale of Glamorgan
|1899||British Museum, London||322 coins (7 gold, some silver, and rest bronze)
4 gold rings
|Sully Hoard (2008)||mid-4th century||Sully, Vale of Glamorgan
|2008||National Museum Wales||2,366 bronze coins in one pot
3,547 bronze coins in another pot
|Thetford Hoard||mid-4th century||near Thetford
|1979||British Museum, London||33 silver spoons
22 gold finger rings
a gold buckle
|Thornbury Hoard||mid-4th century||Thornbury
|2004||Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery
|Tinwell Hoard||late 3rd century||Tinwell
|1999||Rutland County Museum||2,831 base-silver coins|
|Traprain Treasure||early 5th century||Traprain Law, near Haddington
|1919||Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh||53 pounds of sliced up silver tableware
some Christian items
a Roman officer's uniform
|Upchurch Hoard||early 4th century||Upchurch
|1950||private collection||37 bronze coins|
|Walton (Milton Keynes) Hoard||early 4th century||Walton, Milton Keynes
|1987||97 bronze coins|
|Water Newton Treasure||4th century||Water Newton
|1975||British Museum, London||27 silver items, including jugs, hanging-bowls, bowls and votive plaques
1 gold votive plaque
|Welbourn Hoard||mid-4th century||Welbourn
|1998||8 coins at British Museum||436 base silver nummi
Shelly Ware container
|West Bagborough Hoard||mid-4th century||West Bagborough
|2001||Somerset County Museum, Taunton||669 Roman coins and 64 pieces of hacksilver|
|Westhall Hoard||mid-2nd century[note 3]||Westhall
|British Museum, London
Norwich Castle Museum
|9 bronze terrets and some Roman coins in a bronze bowl|
|Weston Underwood Hoard||1st and 2nd century||Weston Underwood, Milton Keynes (borough)
|1858||Buckinghamshire County Museum||166 silver denarii
10 other coins
various sherds and other pottery
|Wickham Market Hoard (1984)||late 3rd century||Wickham Market
|1984||pot containing 1,587 coins|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Romano-British hoards.|
- The hoard was reported by a widow whose husband had been a digger driver working on the motorway. The exact location and date of the find was not known.
- There was also a Bronze Age gold ornament found at the same time, but it is not considered to be part of this hoard.
- The Roman coins in the Westhall Hoard indicate a burial later than 138 AD, but the terrets date to the Iron Age, circa 1–70 AD, probably before the Roman Conquest.
- "Didcot hoard". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Monument no. 74881". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Monument no. 346418". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Roman coin hoard goes on display". Wiltshire Heritage Museum. 22 July 2009. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "Monument no. 26672". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004a, pp. 38–44
- Walters & Smith 1921, p. 59
- "Hoard of Roman coins found near Roman Baths in Bath". BBC News. 22 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Jorsh, Mag; Clarke, Andrew (10 January 2011). "Cumbrian man unearths Roman treasures in field near Silloth". News and Star. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "Monument no. 361921". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Herefordshire Through Time". Herefordshire Council. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Monument no. 44272". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004a, pp. 132–133, 145
- Barton & Hitchcock 2008, p. 199
- Bland 2000, p. 121
- Henry, Richard (21 October 2011). "The Bredon Hill Hoard: The process from discovery to present". Portable Antiquities Scheme. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Replica in the British Museum". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- "Silver handle from the Capheaton treasure". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- Bland 2000, p. 123
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004b, pp. 160, 183
- "Monument no. 1302805". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004b, p. 159
- "Monument no. 1256324". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Monument no. 395271". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-. Check date values in:
- "Monument No; 195361". Pastscape National Monument Record. English Heritage. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- Buchwald, Vagn Fabritius (2005). Iron and steel in Ancient Times. Kgl. Danske Videnskabernes Selskab. p. 285. ISBN 978-87-7304-308-0.
- "Monument no. 18463". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- "The Corbridge Lanx". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Monument no. 18543". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- Abdy 2002, pp. 41–44
- Bland 2000, pp. 113–114
- "Roman silver coins go on display in Warwick". BBC News. 6 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 117–118, 133
- Johns, Catherine & Bland, Roger (1994). The Hoxne Late Roman Treasure. Britannia (vol. 25). ISSN 1753-5352. OCLC 51206459.
- Bland 2000, p. 120
- "The Frome Hoard". Portable Antiquities Scheme. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2003, pp. 97, 105
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2003, pp. 94–95, 105
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2003, pp. 95, 105
- "High Weald hoard of Roman coins on display in Sussex". 15 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "Hoard of silver drinking cups". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Bland 2000, pp. 123–124
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 121, 134
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004b, p. 153
- "The Hoxne hoard". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Hoard of Roman coins unearthed at Colchester dig". BBC. 20 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 24–25, 113, 133
- "Making History: 300 years of antiquaries in Britain: Wiltshire". Society of Antiquaries of London. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- Bland 2000, p. 118
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2003, pp. 95–96
- Hitchcock 2006, p. 179
- Bland 2000, p. 119
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, p. 118
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2003, p. 96
- Barton & Hitchcock 2008, p. 198
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 118–120, 133
- "The Lightwood Hoard". Stoke-on-Trent Museums. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "Monument no. 344783". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Monument no. 344788". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Little Orme hoard, Llandudno (Roman)". Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Llanvaches Coin Hoard goes on display at the National Roman Legion Museum". National Museum Wales. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 116–117
- "Bronze coins found in Somerset reveal Roman age of austerity". Western Daily Press. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "The Mildenhall treasure". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 113, 133
- "Nether Compton Hoard". Forum Ancient Coins. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- Hannam, Laura (29 October 2008). "Treasure hunters set to coin it with Roman haul". MK News. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- Bland 2000, p. 112
- White, Sally (1998). "The patching Hoard". Medieval Archaeology 42: 88–93.
- Anon (December 1996). The 'Pot Shaft' Hoard, Alderley Edge, Cheshire. Coins in Context: the controlled micro-excavation of a fourth-century Roman coin hoard. Final Report. University of Manchester Archaeological Unit.
- Bland 2000, pp. 115, 123
- Barton & Hitchcock 2008, p. 193
- "The Treasure of Vortigern". Vortigern Studies. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- Baines, Edward; Whatton, W. R. (1836). History of the County Palatine and Duchy of Lancaster. Fisher, Son and Co. p. 20.
- "Metal detector discoveries from Monmouthshire: Two spectacular treasure finds". National Museum Wales. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Roman coin hoard, one of the largest found in UK, unearthed by builder". Press Association via The Guardian. September 26, 2014. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- "Monument no. 193944". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "Monument no. 911618". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- Bland 2000, pp. 115–117
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 116, 133
- Bland 2000, pp. 109–111
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 121, 133
- Reavill, Peter (2011-10-25). "Inquest into largest coin hoard from Shropshire". Portable Antiquities Scheme. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Fox, George E.; St. John Hope, W. H. (1894/1895). "Excavations on the site of the Roman city at Silchester, Hants, in 1894". Archaeologia, or, Miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity 54: 439–494. doi:10.1017/s0261340900018130. Check date values in:
- Fulford, M. G.; Burnett, A.; Henig, M.; Johns, C. (1989). "A Hoard of Late Roman Rings and Silver Coins from Silchester, Hampshire". Britannia 20: 219–228. doi:10.2307/526164. ISSN 0068-113X.
- "Jeweller's hoard from Snettisham". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Richardson, Andrew (Winter 2006–2007). "A Roman Coin Hoard from Snodland" (71). Kent Archaeological Society.
- Burton, Madeleine (18 October 2012). "Roman coin hoard discovered in St Albans". The Herts Advertiser. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2002, pp. 123–124, ;134
- Bland 2000, p. 10
- Gannon, Voden-Decker & Bland 2004a, p. 132
- "Roman coins found in Stoke-on-Trent field may be hidden wages". 18 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Monument no. 343084". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- Guest & Wells 2007, p. 192
- "'Exceptional' Roman coins hoard". BBC. 30 October 2008. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "Jewellery from the Thetford treasure". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "The Thornbury Hoard". South Gloucestershire Council. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Bland 2000, pp. 118–119
- "Traprain Law, 'Traprain Treasure'". Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "The Upchurch Hoard". Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Monument no. 1303067". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Cup from the Water Newton treasure". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Bland 2000, p. 124
- Bland & Voden-Decker 2003, p. 97
- "Terrets from the Westhall hoard". British Museum. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Monument no. 345364". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- "Monument no. 879555". Pastscape. English Heritage. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Abdy, Richard (2002). Romano-British Coin Hoards. Shire archaeology, No. 82. Shire. ISBN 978-0-7478-0532-8.
- Barton, Caroline; Hitchcock, Fi, eds. (2008). Treasure Annual Report 2005/6. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Bland, Roger, ed. (2000). Treasure Annual Report 1998 - 1999. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Bland, Roger; Voden-Decker, Lisa, eds. (2002). Treasure Annual Report 2000. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Bland, Roger; Voden-Decker, Lisa, eds. (2003). Treasure Annual Report 2001. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Gannon, Anna; Voden-Decker, Lisa; Bland, Roger, eds. (2004a). Treasure Annual Report 2002. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Gannon, Anna; Voden-Decker, Lisa; Bland, Roger, eds. (2004b). Treasure Annual Report 2003. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Guest, Peter S. W.; Wells, Nick (2007). Iron Age and Roman Coins from Wales. Collection Moneta, Vol. 66. Moneta. ISBN 978-90-77297-34-6.
- Hitchcock, Fi, ed. (2006). Treasure Annual Report 2004. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Lewis, Michael, ed. (2009). Portable Antiquities and Treasure Annual Report 2007. Department of Portable Antiquities and Treasure, British Museum. ISBN 978-0-9563795-1-1.
- Walters, Henry Beauchamp; Smith, Reginald Allender (1921). Catalogue of the silver plate (Greek, Etruscan and Roman) in the British Museum. British Museum.