List of Roman place names in Britain
A partial list of Roman place names in Great Britain.
The early sources for Roman names show numerous variants and misspellings of the Latin names. Moreover one of the principal authorities, Ptolemy, wrote in Greek so names that he records need to be transliterated back into Latin to reveal the original form.
Note that in general only one source is shown below for each name, although many of the names are recorded in more than one of the sources.
|Roman name||Modern name||Source|
- List of Latin place names in Britain
- List of Latin place names in Continental Europe and Ireland
- Latin names of cities
- Latin names of islands
- Latin names of lakes
- Latin names of mountains
- Latin names of regions
- Latin names of European countries
- History of Britain
- History of Ireland
- Roman sites in the United Kingdom
- United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names
- Tacitus (Cornelius Tacitus), Britannia.
- AI: Antonine Itinerary
- Ravenna Cosmography (Ravennatis Anonymi Cosmographia)
- Ptolemy (Claudius Ptolemaeus), Geographiaacaveluber.
- A.L.F. Rivet and Colin Smith, The place-names of Roman Britain. London, 1979 (reprinted by Book Club Associates, 1981).
- Dr. J. G. Th. Grässe, Orbis Latinus: Lexikon lateinischer geographischer Namen des Mittelalters und der Neuzeit, online at the Bavarian State Library
- Grässe, Orbis Latinus, online at Columbia University
- List of Roman Place names in Great Britain and Ireland