List of monarchs of Tahiti
Monarchs of Tahiti
|Reign Start||Reign End||Notes|
|1||Vai ra'a toa Taina Pōmare I
|1788||3 September 1803||De facto paramount ruler from 1768, first as ari'i, then from 1774 as regent for Pōmare II|
|3 September 1803||22 December 1808||First reign, succeeded Pōmare I at birth in 1774 as ari'i, exiled to Moʻorea in 1808|
|Vacant (22 December 1808 – 15 November 1815)|
|15 November 1815||7 December 1821||Second reign, reclaimed throne after the Battle of Te Feipi|
|3||Teriʻi tariʻa Pōmare III
|7 December 1821||8 January 1827||Son of Pōmare II|
|—||Council of Regency||7 December 1821||8 January 1827||Regents for Pōmare III (per Pōmare II's request):
Queen Teriʻitoʻoterai Teremoemoe
Queen Teriitaria Ariʻipaeavahine
Five of the principal chiefs of Tahiti
|4||'Aimata Pōmare IV Vahine
|11 January 1827||17 September 1877||Female; Daughter of Pōmare II. Longest reigning ruler of Tahiti, ruled under French protectorate from 9 September 1842|
|5||Ari'i aue Pōmare V
|17 September 1877||30 December 1880||Son of Pōmare IV. Last King of Tahiti, France annexed Tahiti and its dependencies on 29 June 1880|
|Pōmare family tree|
As of February 2009, Tauatomo Mairau claims to be the heir to the Tahitian throne, and has attempted to re-assert the status of the monarchy in court. His claims are not recognized by France. On 28 May 2009, Joinville Pōmare, an adopted member of the Pōmare family, declared himself King Pōmare XI, during a ceremony attended by descendants of leading chiefs but spurned by members of his own family. Other members of the family recognise his uncle, Léopold Pōmare, as heir to the throne.
As of 2010, he has been recognized as the heir to the throne and bears the title Prince Marau of Tahiti. He is working to have royal trust lands returned to him and his family. The French government mortgaged the land after World War II, and in doing so violated the terms of the agreement signed with Pomare V in 1880 which reserved control of the trust lands for the royal family of Tahiti. The banks may be in the process of freezing the assets, and Mairau is suing to prevent native Tahitians from being evicted from his trust lands, and wishes for them to retain their usage rights over the land.
- Kingdom of Tahiti
- List of monarchs of Huahine
- List of monarchs of Raiatea
- List of monarchs of Bora Bora
- List of colonial and departmental heads of French Polynesia
- President of French Polynesia
- "Tahitian royal forms government". Radio New Zealand International. 22 January 2006. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "Tahitian land activist claims France disregards 19th century treaties". Radio New Zealand International. 3 February 2009. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "Joinville Pomare s'est fait introniser roi Pomare XI", Tahitipresse, 28 May 2009
- "Joinville, l’homme qui voulait être roi... ", La Dépèche de Tahiti, 29 May 2009
- "King’ Mairau forges links between Tahiti and Cooks". King’ Mairau forges links between Tahiti and Cooks. 17 March 2010. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "New republic of Hau Pakumotu is the world's newest country". New republic of Hau Pakumotu is the world's newest country. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- Ben Cahoon (2000). "French Polynesia". WorldStatesman.org. Retrieved 25 February 2012.